The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

Matt Ryan had an average year. He started hot, but then he got injured (according to many Falcon sources, he had an upper body injury) He and Jason Elam blew a game vs. Carolina that really hurt us. Turner had a bad start, but was gaining massive ground when he got injured. He had 424 yards in 10 quarters of play, then he got hurt in the Carolina game.

Atlanta ended the season on a 3 game winning streak, including a win vs. the Jets (held them to well under 100 rushing, won on 4th and goal) because of the return of Matt Ryan and the advent of our defense. You are right YTP, we were an AWFUL team against the pass. CBs like Chris Houston and Tye Hill won't cut it, and our starting CB went down 4 games in.

I expect ATL to be 11-5 next season =D

Anyway, how about Chicago? Who thinks they'll make a splash next season? Personally, I think they can make a run if they get Kampman or Peppers. Peppers is extremely overrated, but he can be solid still.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With Urlacher back the Bears defense will have a little more soul, but they're going to have to improve vastly on offense if they wish to be competitive. Forte has shown he's not as amazing as everyone thought he was, and Cutler throws massive amounts of interceptions. I think if the Bears can correct these two issues they will be a much more prominent offense.

I listened to Peppers press conference and I have to say, as a Panthers fan I am quite pissed. Simply for all the things for that he basically implied that the Panthers were not (not to mention a few subtle shots at our players). Whatever. If he performs well, then good for him, but I sure wouldn't mind the Panthers kicking Chicago's ass (again).

And BALTIMORE ohhhhhh shit. I was hoping they'd get Marshall but hey Boldin is a damn good player. If they make some necessary additions to the secondary, they could be a real Super Bowl Contender.

Interesting to see some dirty birds fans in here. I have to say, if the Falcons add Dunta Robinson and Brian Williams comes back healthy, they can be good too. But that secondary will continue to get burned if the pass rush doesn't show up. But yeah, injuries did hurt you guys alot. NFC South is gonna be competitive next year. Well, as long as the Panthers do something to add to their house cleaning (Delhomme ;_;)

EDIT:
Forte has shown he's not as amazing as everyone thought he was, and Cutler throws massive amounts of interceptions. I think if the Bears can correct these two issues they will be a much more prominent offense.
No Forte just showed that you can't do shit when your offensive line blows. And Cutler simply realized that shit just ain't easy when you have one of, if not the worst, receiving corps in the NFL. Peyton Manning couldn't succeed with these guys. They need to get him help in the worst way. But they have to start with that offensive line.

Well, the Bears just guaranteed themselves at least 3 victories for next year. They will absolutely crush the Vikings now that they have Peppers, as he is what I call a "Vikings killer", a player who regardless of their normal ability (which in this case is quite high), ALWAYS performs absurdly well against the Vikings. Peppers will also help them to at least one victory against the Packers if they do not improve their terrible offensive line. I also expect Chester Taylor to destroy the Vikings in response to their stupidity for letting him go (just like Darren Sharper did last year, which I remakred was a retarded move at the beginning of the year).

Well, the Bears just guaranteed themselves at least 3 victories for next year. They will absolutely crush the Vikings now that they have Peppers, as he is what I call a "Vikings killer", a player who regardless of their normal ability (which in this case is quite high), ALWAYS performs absurdly well against the Vikings. Peppers will also help them to at least one victory against the Packers if they do not improve their terrible offensive line. I also expect Chester Taylor to destroy the Vikings in response to their stupidity for letting him go (just like Darren Sharper did last year, which I remakred was a retarded move at the beginning of the year).
Not with that OLine :happybrain:

@HeroMasaki, you are completely right about Atlanta's pass rush. Now that we have two solid defensive backs on the outside, that will let us defend. But Atlanta's pass rush last season was ANEMIC. Jamaal Anderson, whom ATL picked in the first round, 8th overall in 07 is now known as Busterson. Abraham is getting older, but I think he has a year or two left in the tank. Lawrence Sidbury and Kroy Bierman are not the answer at DE, we need to take someone at 19 this year who can rush someone, like Pierre-Paul or Derrick Morgan (hometown boy!)

And although the Bears line is not great, Forte was not the same back. It was blatantly obvious too. He didn't show the same explosive abillity, and from what I've read and heard his work ethic in the offseason left a lot to be desired. Forte has the abillity, but he has to be around the facillity more and not at Tulane working out.

The Panthers are in rebuilding mode now, obviously. Steve Smith is starting to enter the twilight of his career, and Matt Moore is still raw. They are going to need a lot of production from Everrete Brown, whom they picked last year after moving up for him. That defense is getting older as well, but John Beason...boy is he good. I would say that the NFC South has the best MLBs in all of football (Beason, Lofton (2 All Pro votes), Vilma, and Barrett Ruud (great one in Tampa)

The Panthers are in rebuilding mode now, obviously. Steve Smith is starting to enter the twilight of his career, and Matt Moore is still raw. They are going to need a lot of production from Everrete Brown, whom they picked last year after moving up for him. That defense is getting older as well, but John Beason...boy is he good. I would say that the NFC South has the best MLBs in all of football (Beason, Lofton (2 All Pro votes), Vilma, and Barrett Ruud (great one in Tampa)
Eh, I wouldn't say they're in rebuilding mode yet. If you looked at their recent cuts, you'd see that outside of Steve Smith, John Kasay, Baker and Brad Hoover, there's not a single (projected) starter over the age of 30 so age isn't a problem. They still have talent though. Gamble is the best corner in the division (And Richard Marshall is damn good too), Beason is an All-Pro ILB and Davis was having an All-Pro season before getting hurt. Leonard Louis was doing very well too, as was Charles Johnson opposite of Peppers. Harris is a good leader and an Enforcer up top and both Godfrey and Martin had their moments to shine this year. The loss of Peppers is gonna hurt but remember, we still had the best defense in the division and I believe our passing game will be much improved. Not to mention having the 3rd ranked rush offense to ride as well, which will only get better with teams unable to stack the box against them anymore. Steve Smith in the twilight of his career? My friend, 30 is primetime for receivers.

Boldin is going to do good on the Ravens, they needed a big reciever and he could be it.

The vikings shouldnt be looking into LT, theyve got peterson, who needs no explaining(fumbles are his achilles heel though) and chester taylor, who is probably one of the best alternate backs around, theyre pretty set on theyre ground game.

And TO will probably end up in Cincy next season.

The vikings shouldnt be looking into LT, theyve got peterson, who needs no explaining(fumbles are his achilles heel though) and chester taylor, who is probably one of the best alternate backs around, theyre pretty set on theyre ground game.
Taylor's a free agent, he's definitely getting snapped up very soon.

The Falcons picked up Dunta Robinson. They might have overpayed for him but oh well. They could still use a lot of help on defence. Offence is fine though another o-linemen wouldnt hurt.

hmmm i wonder if the bears plan to use taylor in the same capacity that the vikings did or if he's replacing forte...? or perhaps just using a two-headed monster (well, not monster per se...) like miami has...

it doesn't really matter with their o-line though

LT met with the Vikings the other day, and that would be a crazy two headed monster if LT could accept less carries and be effective anytime he gets the ball. Also, the Bengals got a pretty good pickup in Antonio Bryant. Looks like TO is still searching for a home :)

Is there any point of the offseason thread considering this is still active?

And what's the point of the 49ers getting some QB no one's heard of (David Carr). From what I read up, his last good season was aeons ago with the Texans...why not go after a quality QB (not Vick, but there's plenty of other names out there)? Smith is not the answer I still feel, and quite frankly no one on their roster except their draftee from last year (Nate Davis) impresses me at all.

Hoping they draft someone to improve the O line and then maybe a pickup on defense to make it even better. Just please don't try to move up to draft any of the lame QBs in this year's crop.

Is there any point of the offseason thread considering this is still active?

And what's the point of the 49ers getting some QB no one's heard of (David Carr). From what I read up, his last good season was aeons ago with the Texans...why not go after a quality QB (not Vick, but there's plenty of other names out there)? Smith is not the answer I still feel, and quite frankly no one on their roster except their draftee from last year (Nate Davis) impresses me at all.

Hoping they draft someone to improve the O line and then maybe a pickup on defense to make it even better. Just please don't try to move up to draft any of the lame QBs in this year's crop.
Do you really not know who David Carr is? I am honestly pretty disgusted right now... In any case, I think the 49ers are fine with Smith and Nate Davis, who apparently has been showing a lot of improvement over the last year.

Unsurprisingly, the Vikings have had a terrible offseason thus far. They haven't made a single addition and they have lost several good players, and their competition has made some pretty drastic improvements. There is no way the Vikings do as well next year as they did this past year unless they really start to make some good moves.

I for one think that Green Bay is going to resume command of the NFC north. Aaron Rogers has shown that he is the real deal (2 straight season of over 3,000 yards) and they haven't lost any essential pieces to the puzzle. Except for maybe Kampman. Other than that I see them being a huge threat in the NFC next year. Thoughts?

Do you really not know who David Carr is? I am honestly pretty disgusted right now... In any case, I think the 49ers are fine with Smith and Nate Davis, who apparently has been showing a lot of improvement over the last year.

Unsurprisingly, the Vikings have had a terrible offseason thus far. They haven't made a single addition and they have lost several good players, and their competition has made some pretty drastic improvements. There is no way the Vikings do as well next year as they did this past year unless they really start to make some good moves.
Honestly no, I wasn't that big a football guy way back, so I just looked him up on Wikipedia. So from what I saw, he was a great college guy, got picked by the Texans, suffered from their horrid OL for about 4 years, and has been a backup since. So I dunno, just doesn't seem that impressive to me when the 49ers could easily pursue a big name QB in an uncapped year that can lead. Especially since it sounds like they're just making this guy sit behind Alex Smith anyways.

Even if Brett Favre returns next year I think the Pack will control the NFC North. If Brett returns the Vikes will be competitive but I don't think Brett could play as good as he did last year. The Bears made several moves in free agency but did not address their biggest need which is O-line. The Lions are... well, the Lions.

Moving out west though, what are the thoughts about the Charlie Whitehurst deal?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Why are people still posting in this thread (it should probably be locked)? Not to toot my own horn, but this is where you should be posting stuff pertaining to the offseason, as opposed to a messy old 63 page thread regarding last season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)