Yugioh! TCG Thread

I might be going since I only live 3 hours away. If I do then I'll be using my Lightsworn. What do you run Warthog?

Wow, I have not posted in Smogon for so long. :D

I apologize for imposing on the current conversation going on in this thread, but I've been watching the thread for a while now and not posting. I have been wanting to get into the competitive scene of Yu-Gi-Oh for a while now but I never can seem to find anything that could teach me the basic concepts of team building and stuff. Do you guys have any recommendation for getting started?

Last post from December, I dont care. Interesting things have happened.

I apologize for imposing on the current conversation going on in this thread, but I've been watching the thread for a while now and not posting. I have been wanting to get into the competitive scene of Yu-Gi-Oh for a while now but I never can seem to find anything that could teach me the basic concepts of team building and stuff. Do you guys have any recommendation for getting started?
Actually GameFAQS has a great deck building guide that helped me when I came back from a hiatus that started in 2006. It can be found here.
I also use the Yu-Gi-Oh Wiki to look at cards and to see useful cards for decks I want to create. Even though these two things are wonderful tools, the best way to get better is through practice, seeing what the problems are in your deck, and fixing them.

Anyways, Absolute Powerforce has came out in the TCG, World Championship 2010 is coming out next week, and the March 2010 banlist has been revealed. The link for the banlist is here, but if you dont feel like clicking it, I'll show it here.

Banned:

Nothing

Limited:
Chaos Sorcerer
Tragoedia
Necro Gardna
Necroface
Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
Burial from a Different Dimension
Foolish Burial
Charge of the Light Brigade
Destiny Draw
Allure of Darkness
Mind Crush
Magical Explosion
Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier (assumed for the TCG as Brionac has been limited in the OCG for a while now)

Semi-Limited:
Honest
Cyber Dragon
Treeborn Frog
Dandylion
Demise, King of Armageddon
Black Whirlwind
United We Stand
Royal Decree
Royal Oppresion
Skill Drain

Unlimited:
Mask of Darkness
Smashing Ground

So in short, D-Draw engine got crippled, LS and Zombies got nerfed, Monarchs got better, and Blackwings remained mostly untouched. I can also see Rituals getting a bit of a boost as the all of the Djiins are out for now.

I used to pioneer otk decks that would've won me SJ championships. Sadly, the price of cards on top of the price of winning were too high... though the spoils of victory would've paid it all plus.

I've grown out of it all though.

My little brother still buys cards and collects them. We occasionally mess around and play, which I usually win. I was the yugioh player in my grade (lol) when i was in elementary. Now I'm in high school and I cherish those memories of whipping every kid in a card game.

My deck for the new format. Machina Gadgets are just so good right now.

Monsters:18
3 Machina Forretress
2 Red Gadget
1 Card Trooper
2 Cyber Dragon
2 Green Gadget
2 Cyber Phoenix
2 Yellow Gadget
1 Machina Force
3 Machina Gearframe

Spells:11
1 Pot of Avarice
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Solditary
3 Smashing Ground
1 Lightning Vortex
1 Limiter Removal
1 Heavy Storm

Traps:13
3 Dimensional Prison
3 Trap Hole
1 Call of The Haunted
1 Mirror Force
1 Royal Oppression
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Bottomless Trap Hole

Deck:42

My deck for the new format. Machina Gadgets are just so good right now.

Monsters:18
3 Machina Forretress
2 Red Gadget
1 Card Trooper
2 Cyber Dragon
2 Green Gadget
2 Cyber Phoenix
2 Yellow Gadget
1 Machina Force
3 Machina Gearframe

Spells:11
1 Pot of Avarice
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Solditary
3 Smashing Ground
1 Lightning Vortex
1 Limiter Removal
1 Heavy Storm

Traps:13
3 Dimensional Prison
3 Trap Hole
1 Call of The Haunted
1 Mirror Force
1 Royal Oppression
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Bottomless Trap Hole

Deck:42
Not a fan of the bolded. I have my reasons lol pm if you wanna know.

the Gadget Machina deck is a pain in the ass. I would personally take out most what XC suggested. 3x Fissure over Solidarity is my preference. I personally like the Scrap Recycler. You also need the Peacekeeper to get your Gearframes on board. Side the Cyber Dragons for the mirror.

I recently took "Synchro Cat" to regionals. Went undefeated in swiss but lost in top 8 due to not knowing a ruling and it going to double game loss on the third game. Then my opponent drew the nuts and I lost :P

2 Cyber Dragon
2 Breaker the Magical Warrior
3 Ryko
1 Rescue Cat
3 X saber Airbellum
1 Summoner Monk
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 GK Descendant
3 GK Spy
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Gorz
2 Super Awesome Excellent Hyper Hamster

1 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Smashing Ground
1 Mind Control
1 HEavy Storm
1 Scapegoat
2 Book of Moon
2 Pot of Avarice
1 Brain Control

1 Torrential Tribute
1 Call of the Haunted
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Dimensional Prison
1 Mirror Force

1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Goyo GUardian
1 Brionac
1 Magical Android
2 Stardust Dragon
1 Colossal Fighter
2 Arcanite Magician
1 Ancient Fariy Dragon
1 Catastor
1 Urbellum
1 Mist Wurm
1 Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Thought Ruler Archfiend

1 Mirror of Oaths
1 Starlight Road
1 D.D. Crow
2 Trap Hole
2 Phantom Dragon
1 Mask Restrict
1 Royal Oppression
2 Nobleman of Crossout
2 Dust Tornado
2 Light-Imprisoning Mirrors

I had no Chimeratech Fortress Dragon but it would be in there if I had it obviously. Top 8 was 2 Flamvell Cat, 1 Synchro Cat, 2 Machina, 1 Flamvell Monarch, 1 Ben Kei OTK (lost to this) and Lightsworn.

I'm avoiding playing Cat this format.

It's the best deck. Definitely. However, the mirror match is a pain in the ass. I feel like it's 50/50 and completely out of my control. Going first is such a ridiculous advantage in the mirror I just got sick of it.

Sooo playing anything but Cat lol

Gbs fell to a similar problem. Going second hurt a lot. PrismaGlads not as much as Tigerless Glads (which I could never play...) but still a pain to go second and have to bite a BTH or D-Prison if you didn't draw your CyDra or S/T removal to take care of it. Because of this I feel 2 Cydra is required to be mained in PrismaGlads. Really, going second sucks that much. Oh and Secutor is required imo. The advantage swing, though a risk to play, is necessary to come out on top. You need the explosive plays.

I usually bring Glads to tournies btw, but have taken a break because Cat is a mediocre matchup for them, and it's fairly mindless on their part on how to beat Glads, so it's just become far too frustrating.

Switched to Machina Gadgets and have a number of personal theories on how the deck should be played. I'm undecided on Cyber Dragon. On one hand, you can never do more than Special Summon him alone because otherwise you'll eat a Chimeratech. On the other hand, he's a 2100 beats that is a magnet for D-Prison and BTH which Machina Fortress doesn't like too, too much.

Warthog, do you use YVD? I have an account but I never really do.

EDIT:

Current Glad build
M18
3 Test Tiger
2 Prisma
1 Stratos
2 Laquari
1 Bestiari
2 Darius
1 Equeste
1 Hoplomus
1 Secutor
1 Murmillo
1 Retiari
1 Morphing Jar
2 Cyber Dragon

S11
1 MST
1 Cold Wave
1 Giant Trunade
1 Heavy Storm
1 My Body as a Shield
3 Book of Moon
2 Smashing Ground
1 Reinforcements of the Army

T11
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Dust Tornado
1 Mirror Force
2 Dimensional Prison
2 Bottomless
2 War Chariot
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Starlight Road

Total: 41
Current Machina Build

3 Machina Gearframe
1 Machina Peacekeeper
2 Machina Fortress
2 Green Gadget
2 Red Gadget
2 Yellow Gadget
1 Card Trooper
1 Machina Force
1 Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind
1 Tragoedia
1 Cyber Dragon

3 Smashing Ground
3 Book of Moon
2 Fissure
1 Limiter Removal
1 Heavy Storm
1 Mystical Space Typhoon

3 Dimensional Prison
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Trap Hole
1 Royal Oppression
1 Starlight Road
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Judgment

Monsters:19
3 Machina Forretress
2 Red Gadget
1 Card Trooper
2 Green Gadget
2 Yellow Gadget
2 Machina Force
2 Scrap Recycler
3 Machina Gearframe
2 Machina Peacekeeper

Spells:14
3 Machina Armored Unit
1 Heavy Storm
3 Book of Moon
3 Smashing Ground
2 Pot of Avarice
1 Limiter Removal
1 Mystical Space Typhoon

Traps:7
2 Dimensional Prison
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Bottomless Trap Hole

Deck:40

This deck is undefeated for me thus far. The Soliditary version turned out to be so meh.

luckily I played only two Flamvell/Cat decks in the tournament. Four did top however I just got paired against a lot of different deck types. Against each Flamvell variant I won the die roll but lost game 1, then swept the next two games. I just held off and played my combos last. Usually Monk/Cat, Cyber + Airbellum or DAD. Crossouts and Cybers do help when going second too of course.

your PrismaGlad build looks fine, I wouldn't change anything. Its personally not my style but its good.

I'm not sure how to build Machina correctly, everything is based on what I saw or in theory. I would use Recycler and a PoA in my build if I tried it out. I'm not a fan of Trap Holes in the main. Everything else looks fine. If I would play it I would use double Sarc.. Future Fusion and Overload. Sounds too good to pass up the possible OTK play.

Lizard - Im not a fan of Machina Armored Unit. Most players will play around this card fairly easily. It can buy you some set up time but that's about it.

Glad to see this thread has become alittle more active, heh

Congrats on the top warthog. Deck looks pretty solid though I do have some suggestions - cauis seems really good in here due to the fact that deck is floater central so I'd probablly try to fit in a couple of copies of that, not a big fan of mind control either but eh.

machina gadgets relys on floater monsters and one for one removal, so yeah, pretty much a control deck.

mucking around with a batteryman deck tonight at a local tourney for fun, the archetype seems pretty interesting to build even though I can't shake the nagging felling that the deck is a poor man's lightsworn

Mind Control is good.. I take a lot of floaters that plus and it allows for the some times dead Airbellums in hand to become live. Didnt draw it much though :P

also heres a report i wrote up for the fuck of it for another forum.

bored so I decided to post a report. Ill put as much as possible down that I remembered. If I miss anything lmk.

Friday - My sister had a "party" and since I haven't seen her new house and it was her birthday I decided to go. Problem she lives in North Las Vegas and I had to get to Henderson. Some single women there but nothing too crazy happened. There were some hot lesbians kissing, one with the finest ass I've ever seen on a white girl.. too bad. Nothing kept me from having a good time though. I get fucked up and end up not passing out some how. Another shot and I probably would have been out of commission. Get off my ass at around 5ish and make my way to the bus. I fucking miss it and have to wait another hour for it to come again. I had nothing but a t-shirt and jeans on and it was windy as fuck. I nearly froze my ass off. Finally the bus comes and get to the convention center at 10am. Register and write my list etc etc. Decide to play regular Cat Synchro based off of Claudio's deck because it fucking ran great.

Round 1

Randall vs Macro

Game 1 - He goes summon Valley and sets a card and passes. I go Smash and hit with Airbellum. He attacks over my Airbellum with DD Survivor (Prison fails here) and next turn I set Spy and wreck with Descendant.

Game 2 - I end up killing him with a mass of floaters. I never even got to Synchro Summon in these matches. Breaker, Hamster into Ryko rapes this deck.

he was a cool kid, talked to him afterward, I give him some sleeves for his side because he needed them.. gave him some suggestions.

Randall vs Sabers

Game 1 - Only play he makes really is Saber Hole against my summon. Next turn I draw Smashing and hit it up with Airbellum and slowly win. I noticed he's playing it heavily recruiter based, so I have time to set up on him before he gets out any combos.

Game 2 - See game 1

I was surprised to see this match up especially with the 80 dollar recruiters. Deck wasn't built right or this would have been an interesting match up.

Randall vs Gladiator

Game 1 - Smashing and Breaker afterward gives him trouble. He somehow gains some advantage and fucks it up by special summoning Bestiari from the deck. Obviously it gets BTHed and he loses his win condition.

Game 2 - I dont draw well, I just get Gyzarused many times. He still summons Bestiari in attack position and stupid shit that should cost him games.

Game 3 - I summon Thought Ruler Archfiend and apparently he has no answers and just run over monsters all day until I hit him for game.

Only guy that was a total dick.. he wouldn't accept my handshake. I was going to offer him some advice how to play the deck but whatever, his loss.

Break - I call off work for Sunday at this time because I'm tired as fuck and feeling sick. Don't know if Ill make it the rest of the day. Get some shit to eat and feel better.

Randall vs Jacob (Dale.dek..sorta)

Game 1 - he beats me.. I forget how but I dive into the sideboard thinking hes playing Synchro Cat.
Game 2 - this was the best game of the day. All I can remember is reading DAD play coming soon and hold on to Goats. He would of had game but Goats save me. Next turn I go Brain Control, he BoM his DAD. I Cross it out. Next turn I had enough for my own DAD after Breaker gets destroyed somehow and I win. I saw some monarchs and figured hes playing Flamvell Monarch and not cat.
Game 3 - Side out some useless shit. I Mind Control his Decko. He's pissed. Thats all I remember tbh I some how win this one.

glad I won this match. He's always a tough opponent from my locals. He ends up scrubbing though which I was surprised.

Randall vs Patrick (Flamvell Cat)

had to play my cousin ftl.

Game 1 - He wins with Firedog kicking my ass. Pretty sure he sits on SDD for the short period the game lasted.
Game 2 - This match was a grind from what I recall, I just remember getting in there with my sideboard and floaters.
Game 3 - He doesnt have any protection after going into multiple Synchros one including SDD. I then drop next turn Monk>Cat>Ryko/Airbellum summon Mist Wurm and DAD for game.

were great games. He ends up top 8ing as well.

Randall vs George (Machina)

this is where not having a Chimera sucked ass.. I soon learned this.

Game 1 - I win easily I think, I forget how just have the right counter cards for Fortress.
Game 2 - I lose because he top decks well.
Game 3 - great game of the match. I didnt have Fortress or Id of raped this match. Takes awhile to find a way to kill Fortess. He keeps getting it back after I later on kill it. He top decks everything he needs to stay in the game but I drop Gorz and I win from there.

cool guy.. he wanted me to give him the win but I decided not to because I was Patricks tie breaker. Plus I wanted to win out.

Randall vs Mario (Lightsworn)

Game 1 - I win easily.. I just had answers to everything.
Game 2 - I win because he misplays. We play third game for fun to see what would have happened and he ended up winning.

So I go undefeated even though I should have lost the last one. I'm happy but tired and hungry.

Top 8

Ben Kei?!!

Game 1 - I lose game 1 turn 2.
Game 2 - I win beating him down with Airbellum.
Game 3 - I have control of the board after Starlight Road. I didnt know ruling on Starlight and after bring back SDD from grave after effect and us playing a few turns, Head Judge come back and tells us double game loss. I would have won even without my second monster (breaker) from getting its effect and summon off. ygo.
Game 4 - Lose turn two of my opponents.. He decrees after my turn to my Solemn and other cards that would stopped an attack. I dont draw BoM obviously and he goes summon Ben Kei and 2 Mage Power + random card and I lose.

I'm a little mad but it's whatever. He ends up getting second and its his first top 8 so its all cool.. plus its fucking Ben Kei. I laugh about my mistake later and feel better about it.

2 Cyber Dragon
2 Breaker the Magical Warrior
3 Ryko
1 Rescue Cat
3 X saber Airbellum
1 Summoner Monk
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 GK Descendant
3 GK Spy
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Gorz
2 Super Awesome Excellent Hyper Hamster

1 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Smashing Ground
1 Mind Control
1 HEavy Storm
1 Scapegoat
2 Book of Moon
2 Pot of Avarice
1 Brain Control

1 Torrential Tribute
1 Call of the Haunted
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Dimensional Prison
1 Mirror Force

1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Goyo GUardian
1 Brionac
1 Magical Android
2 Stardust Dragon
1 Colossal Fighter
2 Arcanite Magician
1 Ancient Fariy Dragon
1 Catastor
1 Urbellum
1 Mist Wurm
1 Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Thought Ruler Archfiend

1 Mirror of Oaths
1 Starlight Road
1 D.D. Crow
2 Trap Hole
2 Phantom Dragon
1 Mask Restrict
1 Royal Oppression
2 Nobleman of Crossout
2 Dust Tornado
2 Light-Imprisoning Mirrors

Props
- going undefeated in Swiss
- KFC
- 3/5 Game World people in our test play group topping
- Breaker, Ryko, Descendant raping.
- Ancient Fairy Dragon, card was good in here.. nothing could run it over.
- Scapegoat
- winning without having to synchro summon or drawing nutty
- Dark Armed Dragon. I'm gonna find it hard pressed not to include this in future decks this format.
- Arcanite for $8
- BEN KEI
- Claudio for making a great deck concept. Worked well for my play style.

Slops
-Freezing and windy morning
-No sleep
-Drinking too much the night before
-bus
-being ignorant and not knowing the ruling of Starlight Road :/
-No Chimeratech.. then I find a kid the next couple of days and buy it for cheap..
-Matt Gibby for scrubbing
-Not seeing Plague all day.. not even milled.
-No Gladiator Beasts topping. The two good players that played them (Hooman and Nick) scrubbed..

I never said congratulations! Sorry Warthog, that's great!

Going to bed now but I'll be sure to post some stuff to talk about tomorrow.

EDIT: I love your build. Enough cards that are off-base from standard that still work.

I thought I'g give this a bump.

How are you Yugioh folks liking the new format post TSHD? I'm really loving this format; it's almost like how LS and Zombies were last format, except it's Infernity and X-Saber.

Its alright since my locals isnt just Infernites and Xsabers yet.. theres a lot of variety. Im playing QD still since I want to make or break Destroyer. Plus I dont want to spend any more money on this game then I need too. Ill get a list up as soon as I like it. I have a cash tourney on Wednesday (only time I can play other than Sunday and Im not missing Lakers and Celtics for YGO) so I have some work to do. Im a pure theory person, although I can take decks and play them alright I like throwing in my 2 cents into the deck.. even if it doesnt work as well Lol.

I played this shit when I was in Middle School with my friends, back when there were 2 boosters and 2 starter decks. I tried to play it a couple years ago and found out that somewhere near half my damn cards are banned, and I get wrecked by cards I didn't even know existed. So fuck it, IMO.

Can someone rate my deck? I don't want super competitive criticism, I just want to know if it could win sometimes on YVD. BTW, who plays YVD and would be interested in playing a casual player like me on it?

Monsters (19):
3 X-Head Cannon
2 Y-Dragon Head
2 Z-Metal Tank
3 V-Tiger Jet
2 W-Wing Catapult
2 Shining Angel
2 Honest
3 Machina Peacekeeper

Spells (14):
2 Frontline Base
1 Limiter Removal
2 Machina Armored Unit
1 Giant Trunade
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Swords of Revealing Light
2 Gold Sarcophagus
2 Combination Attack
2 Luminous Spark

Traps (9):
1 Return from the Different Dimension
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Solumn Judgment
3 Dark Bribe

Extra Deck (15):
2 XY-Dragon Cannon
2 XZ-Tank Cannon
2 YZ-Tank Dragon
3 XYZ-Dragon Cannon
3 VW-Tiger Catapult
3 VWXYZ-Dragon Catapult Cannon

Side Deck (15):
3 Machina Gearframe
3 Oilman
2 Dimension Explosion
1 Heavy Storm
1 Frontline Base
1 Combination Attack
2 Formation Union
2 Roll Out!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Used to play before Synchro's came out. Sometimes ran a really fun burn deck centered around Bad Reaction to Simochi. Often got FTK's with the right draw (BRtS, Gift Card x2, Paths of Destiny).

Can someone rate my deck? I don't want super competitive criticism, I just want to know if it could win sometimes on YVD. BTW, who plays YVD and would be interested in playing a casual player like me on it?

Monsters (19):
3 X-Head Cannon
2 Y-Dragon Head
2 Z-Metal Tank
3 V-Tiger Jet
2 W-Wing Catapult
2 Shining Angel
2 Honest
3 Machina Peacekeeper

Spells (14):
2 Frontline Base
1 Limiter Removal
2 Machina Armored Unit
1 Giant Trunade
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Swords of Revealing Light
2 Gold Sarcophagus
2 Combination Attack
2 Luminous Spark

Traps (9):
1 Return from the Different Dimension
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Solumn Judgment
3 Dark Bribe

Extra Deck (15):
2 XY-Dragon Cannon
2 XZ-Tank Cannon
2 YZ-Tank Dragon
3 XYZ-Dragon Cannon
3 VW-Tiger Catapult
3 VWXYZ-Dragon Catapult Cannon

Side Deck (15):
3 Machina Gearframe
3 Oilman
2 Dimension Explosion
1 Heavy Storm
1 Frontline Base
1 Combination Attack
2 Formation Union
2 Roll Out!
Im going to be totally honest Im not a fan of this deck although the XYZ cards are fun.

a couple of cards I dont like off the bat are Luminous Spark, Frontline base, and Machina Unit. Dark Bribe isnt the best card in the world either, I would just stick with Dust Tornado and Starlight or even Cold Wave. I'm not sure what to replace those cards with but an idea is Ultimate Offering. Some of those fusions take up a lot of cards and its hard to get that field presence. Ultimate Offering gives you that chance to bust threw and get out some of the bigger guys. Those are some of my suggestions. Its a fun deck sure but not the most competitive. If you want something similar that can gain card advantage (which this deck lacks a bit) I would try Glad Beasts, who have similar means to get out their fusions. Just a suggestion but have fun and try stuff out :]

Im going to be totally honest Im not a fan of this deck although the XYZ cards are fun.

a couple of cards I dont like off the bat are Luminous Spark, Frontline base, and Machina Unit. Dark Bribe isnt the best card in the world either, I would just stick with Dust Tornado and Starlight or even Cold Wave. I'm not sure what to replace those cards with but an idea is Ultimate Offering. Some of those fusions take up a lot of cards and its hard to get that field presence. Ultimate Offering gives you that chance to bust threw and get out some of the bigger guys. Those are some of my suggestions. Its a fun deck sure but not the most competitive. If you want something similar that can gain card advantage (which this deck lacks a bit) I would try Glad Beasts, who have similar means to get out their fusions. Just a suggestion but have fun and try stuff out :]
But EVERYONE uses Glad Beasts. Frontline Base is like Ultimate Offering, except with more restrictions, but the pluses are the fact that it's a spell and it's free. And besides, I had to remove some traps because I had too many and not enough Spells. Besides, I don't really want to be competitive.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't play yugioh, but my son qualified for nationals to take place in the 2nd weekend in July up in Minneapolis. Is anybody going?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)