Climbing the ladder - OU RMT

My first OU RMT - got to 1490 and will go higher

I only recently(like a week ago) got back into competitive battling after a 6 month leaving. I made this team and it's been highly successful, getting me from a 1100ish rating 2 like 1490 in 5-6 hours of battling. It loses about once every 6 battles even against great battlers like opjqy and lucalibur so obviously it can go to at least the middle of the leaderboard. But I don't, so I want someone else to take over and test how far this team can go.

Roserade@Choice Scarf
Timid(252 spa, 252 spe, 4 hp)
-Leaf Storm
-Sludge Bomb
-HP ice
-Sleep powder

In the current OU metagame, lum berry leads seem to have disappeared. In their place are taunters like gliscor(which doesn't have yache berry anymore) and azelf. Lead swampert is always reluctant to switch for some reason and gets fried by a leaf storm. Roserade's job is to prevent them from getting stealth rock up by putting them to sleep. Additionally, it serves as a great check to Agility Empoleon, vaporeon, suicune, and dragons like DD mence.

Heatran@Life orb
Hasty(252spa, 252 spe, 4 atk)
-Stealth rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth power
-explosion

Heatran is my first switch in after roserade puts something to sleep because my opponents will often send in u-turn scizor to scout my switch in. Heatran's job is to set up stealth rock and explode. Hasty nature because now it can survive surfs from suicune and latias and explode in their faces.

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant(252 hp, 252 atk, 4 spd)
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Superpower
-Pursuit

This is the classic CB scizor, not much to say. It's main job is to BP mence to death, scout with u-turn, and pursuit latias to death. I almost always use u-turn, just to see what my opponent has, even against a choice scarf tyranitar that threatens to KO with stone edge. It draws fire type attacks for the rest of my team to exploit.

Salamence@life orb
Naughty(232 atk, 24 spa, 252 spe)
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake

Another ridiculously standard pokemon, but I need it to break stall. When facing stall, usually I lure in skarmory(scizor u-turn) and use DD. Choice users like heatran and scarf tyranitar not locked on stone edge are fun the mess with. Also, because roserade usually has put the opposing lead to sleep, SR is usually not up and mence can switch in for free. After a dragon dance, this is a force to be reckoned with, OHKOing the now popular offensive suicune and destroying teams. Quite often, people will sacrifice 2-3 pokemon just so I can get confused.

Starmie@Life Orb
Timid(252 spa, 252 spe, 4 hp)
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Ice beam
-Rapid Spin

This is my "cleaner" that takes over after mence has taken out a few members of the other team. Rapid Spin beats stall, Hydro Pump blasts rotom that thinks it can block my spin. I love when ppl set up 3 layers of spikes when I bring this it, then they switch to their rotom, which gets killed by hydro pump, then I use spin as they send something else in. I always try to refrain from using thunderbolt because I hate those stupid jolteons and electivires...

Zapdos@leftovers
Timid(248hp, 184 spd, 76 spe)
-thunderbolt
-Roost
-Sub
-Toxic

This is the most annoying pokemon on my team and is the glue that holds it together. It could be the most important pokemon on my team because its good against so many pokemon. Choiced tyranitar that think they can switch in just get Stone edge PP stalled to death. LO gengar cant 2HKO with shadow ball, so is utterly helpless as I roost of its damage and it loses 10% every turn. Choice Latias locked on surf cant 2HKO either, so it has to switch before it runs out of surf PP. As you can see, Zapdos causes tons of switches. On things(namely swampert and gliscor and jolteon) that I can't kill with thunderbolt, I just use toxic and then stall with sub and roost until they die or switch at which point the sub-roost cycle starts all over again. Quite a few times, people quit because they have no way of countering this. The speed Evs are for lucario.

You are in dire need of a Rock resistance. Right now, it looks like Choice Band Tyranitar will be causing major troubles for your team. Its boosted Stone Edges are very powerful and are too much for you to handle. Just put it in perspective, I'll offer some damage calculations. Roserade takes 169.5% - 199.6%, a clean OHKO. Heatran takes 90.1% - 106.2%, a OHKO after Stealth Rock damage or a single Life Orb recoil. Scizor takes 79.7% - 94.2%, a chance of a OHKO after Stealth Rock damage. Salamence takes 132.9% - 157.7% after it has Intimidated Tyranitar, a clean OHKO. Starmie takes 120.2% - 142%, a clean OHKO. Finally, Zapdos takes 164.5% - 194.3%, a clean OHKO. In fact, Stone Edge in general will more often than not screw you over. Therefore, a Rock resist is in order.

Over your Roserade, I recommend using a Swampert.

Swampert @ Leftovers | Relaxed
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Ice Beam / Protect

You say that leads with Lum Berry have died out, and that's why you are using are using Roserade. However, this is not true, as Lum Berry Metagross is as strong as ever, easily beating your Roserade with Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch. Not to mention, your current set foregoes the main use of lead Roserade, that being setting up Toxic Spikes quickly. Stopping Stealth Rock isn't really needed either, considering you have Starmie who can Rapid Spin them away. Swampert would be a more valuable team member. One immediate advantage is that Swampert handles Stone Edge very well, due to its Rock resist and bulk. Swampert also allows you to get Stealth Rock up early on during the match, so you don't have to wait for an oppurtunity for Heatran to come in. Protect lets Swampert scout Explosions and Choiced attacks.

Now that you have Stealth Rock on your lead, you can ditch Stealth Rock on your Heatran for HP Grass. Right now, your Heatran gets walled by bulky Water-types, and doesn't have anything to touch them except for Explosion. HP Grass allows Heatran to 2HKO the majority of bulky Waters out there, and OHKO Swampert.

Running max HP on your Scizor isn't recommended. Max HP EVs means that Scizor's HP will be divisible by 8, but not by 16. This means that Scizor will end up dying on the 8th switch-in to Stealth Rock. If you run less HP, Scizor can survive for a bit longer. Try an EV spread of 160 HP / 180 Atk / 168 SpD. This gives Scizor the special bulk to switch into the likes of Latias, Gengar and Vaporeon.

The last thing I'll suggest is to change your Salamence's nature to Naive. With a Naughty nature, Salamence will unfortunately be outsped by Scarfed +Speed base 100's, such as Flygon and Jirachi. By ramping up Salamence's Speed, Salamence will at least speed-tie with these foes, and will be harder to revenge kill.

Good luck with your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)