UK Pokémon Tournament - Manchester, July 2010

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Prove you're the best Pokémon trainer in the UK by competing in a Double Battle Pokémon Tournament using Widescreen HD Televisions and Pokémon Battle Revolution at Manchester's Gamerbase, inside HMV. Win fabulous prizes such as a copy of the latest Pokémon games, Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver, as well as many other prizes. This is your chance to meet more Pokéfans from the UK and trade or battle in real life. A lot of people feel that official Pokémon events are few and far between in Europe, so make the trip and help us do something about it. This isn't an event to be missed.

If you're a Facebook user, why not RSVP for the Event?

Registering for the Event
  • Registration for the Event will begin at 09:30am and end at roughly 11:15am.
  • The tournament is expected to start at roughly 11:30am.
  • A £5 entry fee will be required for all competitors to cover venue and prize costs.
  • The event will last until we have a winner, but will likely be finished before 16:00pm.
  • Competitor slots may be limited to 48 or 64, on a first-come-first-served basis depending on interest levels.
  • Players are required to bring their own Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DSi, or Nintendo DSi XL console for use in the event. (Make sure to fully charge it the night before!)
  • Players are required to bring their own copies of Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Pearl, Pokémon Platinum, Pokémon HeartGold, or Pokémon SoulSilver for use in the event. (With a Pokémon team that meets the rules!)
  • Each player must enter 4–6 Pokémon on his or her Team Information Sheet (which will be given to each player upon registration.)
  • Each player must enter 0–6 held items on his or her Team Information Sheet.
  • Players may only use Pokémon and held items listed on their Team Information Sheet during the tournament.
  • The Pokémon and held items listed on a player’s Team Information Sheet may not be changed once the player has registered for the event.
  • Players may change which held item a Pokémon is using between matches so long as both the Pokémon and the held item are listed on the player’s Team Information Sheet.

Battle Rules
  • Battles will be contested under Double Battle Rules.
  • Each player will enter 4 Pokémon into each battle.
  • Each Pokémon will be automatically set to level 50 for the battle.
  • Each Pokémon retains all of the moves that it knew before being auto-levelled.
  • Pokémon that evolve after level 50 do not devolve when auto-levelled.
  • The Pokémon’s stats are adjusted to what its level 50 stats would be.
  • A player’s team may not contain two Pokémon with the same National Pokédex number.
  • Each Pokémon on a player’s team may use held items, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item during battle. Allowed items include held items from Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Versions as well as from earlier video games, including Berries 1–64. The Soul Dew item may not be used.
  • If a player uses the moves Explosion or SelfDestruct to force a tie, the user of that move is declared as the loser.
  • If a player's final Pokémon uses the moves Perish Song or Destiny Bond, the move will fail.
  • Players are given a time limit of 10 minutes per match, though this will be edited for the latter stages.
  • Players are given 60 seconds to decide their moves, though this will be edited for the latter stages.

Ineligible Pokémon

The following Pokémon are NOT eligible for use in the tournament:

150 - Mewtwo
151 – Mew
249 - Lugia
250 - Ho-Oh
251 – Celebi
382 – Kyogre
383 – Groudon
384 – Rayquaza
385 – Jirachi
386 – Deoxys
479 - Rotom
483 – Dialga
484 – Palkia
487 - Giratina
489 – Phione
490 – Manaphy
491 – Darkrai
492 – Shaymin
493 – Arceus

Prizes

Prizes for the overall winner will not be purchased until the event is over. The winner will be able to choose from Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver, or in the event that the winner has both versions already and wishes not to choose either, then Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum may be allowed as an alternative if the HMV store has any copies for sale at the time.

Other prizes may include small Pokémon Figures, Pokémon TCG Booster Packs, and Pokémon related Nintendo DS accessories for the players who make it to the latter stages. Specially bred in-game Pokémon or rare Event Pokémon will likely be traded to everyone who enters.

Terms & Conditions

This is a non-profit event. The £5 entry fee will go towards hiring the venue and purchasing prizes for the winners. By entering, you agree to pay the £5 entry cost and no refunds will be granted without good reason.

By entering, you agree to refrain from using any external devices to alter your Pokémon's statistics to gain an unfair advantage. Any Pokémon found to be obtained through illegal means, or detected by Pokémon Battle Revolution's means of checking for illegal Pokémon may be disqualified and not given a refund. R4 Cartridges are forbidden from use. They will NOT connect to Pokémon Battle Revolution.

Any entrant found guilty of improper conduct, bad sportsmanship, or violence towards other people at the event will be removed from the venue and not given a refund.

There are no age divisions or restrictions for the event. We apologise in advance to any parents that bring children along whom get paired with someone much older in the tournament. There will be a somewhat strict timeline we need to stick to and the number of competitors may not be suited to a tournament with age brackets.

Pokémon is © Copyright Nintendo. The organisers are in no way affiliated with Nintendo or Game Freak, this is an event organised by the fans, for the fans. This event is in no way connected to the Pokémon Video Game Championships taking place this year, hosted by The Pokémon Company Inc.

--

Any questions? Just ask.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
July the 3rd....
Ouch, I might be away then.
And if I'm not I doubt my parents will be keen on me going to manchester for a few days to play Pokémon. there's cost of train, hotel and everything. :/

Don't sign me up just yet, I need to get confirmation I can actually go... but I am there, I'll be in it to win it. :)

Sounds pretty cool. I might go; I have a team that's perfect for it and it's only about an hour away.

Havak is leading this, I've paid to go to valencia 4th -14th July so I cannot attend. But I do wish everyone who goes coughzog2wincough the best of luck and to most importantly have a great time.

There are many who have not posted that I know have interest in this and will be attending so don't feel like it's just those who post here, It's being advertised in many places.

Hopefully this can be an improvement on the Pokécharms Tournament last year and get more entries. If successful, there might be one in London next year, MIGHT.

vashta

"It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's unfortunate that this has been scheduled in during middle of school term. :/

Sounds like a plan. I live next to Manchester, and will try and get a team together (Never done so before, I only play casually). Hopefully i'm not away, and i'm glad little kids can't beast you with hacked legendaries :D

This sounds amazing! Great job on setting this thing up. I cant wait, Havak i did mention that i would be up for donating pokemon for prizes if they are needed, If your interested choose anything out of my trade thread plus i have recently RNG'd Most of the ubers on my SS which i will PM you with if your interested just let me know :).

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Sounds cool.

Will this tournament be organised by Direct Elimination or Swiss pairings ?
If I make the travel, that'd be mostly to visit Manchester and play several battles :P

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This sounds amazing! Great job on setting this thing up. I cant wait, Havak i did mention that i would be up for donating pokemon for prizes if they are needed, If your interested choose anything out of my trade thread plus i have recently RNG'd Most of the ubers on my SS which i will PM you with if your interested just let me know :).
Cheers man :) I sent you a PM.

Havak

Sounds cool.

Will this tournament be organised by Direct Elimination or Swiss pairings ?
If I make the travel, that'd be mostly to visit Manchester and play several battles :P
Ah sorry, missed this reply.

It'll be Direct (Single) Elimination. The time frame we have just makes anything else impossible.

Havak

Oh btw don't forget deodorant because all these geeks in one place is going to smell, thanks. (This is by request of Natalie and her boss =], Natalie will perform routine smell checks, if you smell like meat and potato pie you're not getting in).

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So yeah, checking it, there's no way I can go up to Manchester for the day and back.
It looks like it's going to be an overnight stay somewhere.

So unless I can hitch a room somewhere (pleads Havak) or there will be enough people willing to split the cost of a hotel room, it looks like I might not be going.

Havak

So yeah, checking it, there's no way I can go up to Manchester for the day and back.
It looks like it's going to be an overnight stay somewhere.

So unless I can hitch a room somewhere (pleads Havak) or there will be enough people willing to split the cost of a hotel room, it looks like I might not be going.
Normally I wouldn't mind, but I'm pretty sure I've already got 2-3 people staying over the night before, so I can't provide any more hospitality :( sorry.

Won't be taking part but may turn up and watch.
Team building and all the other associated pokemon metagame competative stuff has never been my strong point so i'm happy to keep it casual in terms of playing.

Havak if you turn up do you automatically have to take part? Plus is the fiver still charged if you don't compete?

Havak

Won't be taking part but may turn up and watch.
Team building and all the other associated pokemon metagame competative stuff has never been my strong point so i'm happy to keep it casual in terms of playing.

Havak if you turn up do you automatically have to take part? Plus is the fiver still charged if you don't compete?
By all means, come to watch :) You're just unlikely to qualify for any of the trades, but you don't have to pay, no. You only have to pay if you take part.

We might be giving away an Event Chatot over Mystery Gift if we can work it out, just for fun.

Im not sure i'd want to embarass myself in front of a bunch of pokemon wizzes crashing out in spectacular fasion in the first round just so i could get a traded mon.

An event Chatot sound good though, if you manage to get it up and running.

Well, though I've never really played OU, or doubles lol, I think I'll give this a shot. A tournament a half hour's train journey away is too good to pass up, especially with free pokemon (probably) which I'd otherwise have little chance of obtaining.

Have to build myself a team though. Its lucky this is on the 3rd, a few days after my very last exam and day after my leavers do :).

I have about 5 friends who have the game, and though not competitive (barring one semi-competitive) I'll see if I can get them to come down too.

Havak

Phione's an Event Pokémon and the Rotom Formes don't work on PBR, so we're just preventing people using them so it doesn't come up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)