We've been robbed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I got this PM from The Music Man:

TheMusicMan said:
Hi, a couple friends of mine from a fakemon site I'm a part of saw another site that has stolen a bunch of our Pokemon, and we also noticed that they also took some things from CAP. Stratagem, Cyclohm, Collosoil, Revenakh, and Syclant were taken for sure, some of the things were renamed so I'm not sure if others were as well. The site is in Polish, so it's rather hard to make sense of, but here's the link for what it's worth- http://pl.mistycalgroove.wikia.com/wiki/Kategoria:Fakemon

~TMM
I don't know Polish, and I didn't spend much time on the site -- but those guys DEFINITELY lifted a bunch of CAP stuff for their site. If they are just making a reference to various Fakemon created around the internet, I guess that's fine -- but they really should just link to our site, and they should ask for our permission to even do that.

Anyway -- I'm posting this here, with the hopes that maybe some intrepid CAP member that knows Polish might be able to figure out more. At the very least, maybe we can get some good Polack jokes out of this....

I was able to Translate the the site but couldn't really figure out it's purpose. But yeah they ripped off tons of content

Edit: Part of there Main Page was taken from here as well.

We can't compete with these guys, they've got Growcock.

On a more serious note, I don't actually think that they're claiming intellectual property over any of this. I really agree with you, though, in that they should link here instead of just copying and pasting the sprites, art, and movepools onto their own website.

I disagree @ the intellectual property bit, they changed an evolution method of at least one of OI's things that I saw, there were probably more.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm pretty sure that they are just making a wiki of what they consider the best fakemon. I can't translate anything, but the format of the site looks like just a catalog of fakemon like you would of regular Pokemon like on Bulbapedia. True, they don't give any credit to any artist anywhere or any list of references, so technically they are stealing.

In all honesty, I think it was just some bored kid who made a wiki for the hell of it, and decided to add a section on fakemon as there are links to look at a list of the original Pokemon.

It also looks like a WIP as he hasn't given a location as to where you can find any of the Pokemon in his/her fake region Mistycal Groove Region.

In conclusion: I wouldn't get too upset over this, it's actually kind of cool.

Edit: Someone did provide a link to the Smogon site in Kitsunoh's reference section.

I don't know a lick of polish. I'm adding:
Skradzione **'''[http://www.smogon.com/cap/ Smogon University]'''
on any pages that look important.

According to google, Skradzione means "Stolen"

== Rzemieślnik==
**'''[http://www.smogon.com/cap/ Smogon University]'''

Rzemieslnik means "Handicraft", apparently.

I was trying to translate: "Craftsman" and "Stolen From," but whatever.

Rather than going through it all one page at a time, I'm searching backwards through:
http://pl.mistycalgroove.wikia.com/wiki/Specjalna:Nowe_pliki
The Gallery of New Files, and adding stuff wherever I see stolen CAP stuff.

they link to smogon university on the bottom of cyclohm's page under a heading that looks like 'references' lol

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lets go easy on them, they just lost their president and the entire top military brass.

Anyway, from what I was able to glean from my knowledge of polish (read: what auto-google translate told me), the purpose of their site is to translate the various fakemon into Polish so that they could enjoy them in their native language. I don't think they claimed anywhere that the fakemon are theirs, and it even says the word "stolen" on their mainpage, so yeah this is pretty harmless.

Looks reasonably harmless. This looks like a pretty cool site actually. It seems fairly obvious that they are just trying to bring the game to polish people. They aren't even really competition.

While I find it completely unnecessary to lift said CAP-mon from us, we cannot exactly do anything about it. Besides, it seems to simply be a database of Fakemon that these Polish people have - unless we find a game about it, there is no competition and not really any need to needlessly rip into them. Let's see where it goes, and then react accordingly.

hey no need to vandalise their website >_>

it's doug's call here anyway, i think we've established that there's no malicious intent here

Aside from adding: "Stolen from Smogon" on the main page, there's no vandalism. I added links to the bottom of every CAPmon, and created a category of just Smogon CAPmon.

Some unregistered IP did wipe Colossoil, though.

contact their admin (i'm sure they can speak english to a certain extent...unless you know polish), not vandalize their site.
plus, i actually feel uncomfortable from polish jokes.

I'm fine with them making a catalog of Fakemons, although I wish they'd provided a more obvious link to our site. What I don't like is how they used original CAP art on their homepage. That's not cool, Poland.

I guess I can bring myself to forgive them, mostly because a lot of these Fakemon names are really funny. Cat-O-Patra is probably the best I've seen...I actually LOLed. Cat-O-Patra. Because something like Cleocatra would just be too subtle.

Interesting. I also see several Fakemon from OI as well. Like others said, though, I don't think they have any ill-will towards us.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
These are the times I wish I had learned more Polish from my mother growing up.

I'm kind of surprised to see a Polish Pokemon fan page, I heard Pokemon wasn't big in Poland. At all.

[QUOTE = Fink, 2588725] That was probably edited in by someone from here. [/ QUOTE]
mabey i know someone deleted the information on colosoil

Wonder who deleted Colossoil. Either way, I reverted their edit. As SinisterSamurai added a reference to CAP on the bottom of the page, so there was no need to remove the whole thing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)