Battling 101 Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Anyways, this is NOT a signup topic, nor is it a topic to declare your intent to sign up. Please do not do so. Also, please do not ask when the next round will be up anymore. I'm going to edit these into the OP and start infracting people who ask, if it comes to it.

oh last question
what happens if your unable to make it one day
will there be a reschedule or you make up the class the next day

oh last question
what happens if your unable to make it one day
will there be a reschedule or you make up the class the next day
It is more of a one on one type thing with you and your tutor. So all you would need to do is discuss it with your tutor.

Ok, I'm extremely knew to this whole Wi-Fi battling community deal. I used to be an avid runescape player so I have some type of sense with the forums etc. I'm just trying to get guided in the right direction and felt this was the best place to post my question(s).

First off, I'd like to know if there is anyone that is willing to guide me, I'm extremely eager to know more about the metagame and willing to work with schedules (I'm very busy at the moment but I tend to stay up late). I know the Tutoring Cycle hasn't updated but I was just wondering if there was a tutor that was eager to tutor me on a personal basis (not too personal... just more close... I can't find the word...).

Second off, I want to know how you obtain your teams pokemon. I mean, I know that there's the RNG Abusing strategy etc. But what are the limits? (AR Nature Modifier acceptable? AR IV Modifier acceptable? etc.) I've attempted RNG abusing a shiny egg, and I was successful, but when it comes to RNG abusing an IV egg... that's where I fail miserably. I've been trying my hardest but I just can't seem to get the correct pokemon IV's. So, I was wondering if there are any other methods besides the little giveaway deals. Is there someone that just gives them away? Is there someone that could take you under their wing?

3rd off, I would like to apologize for being such a noob, I'm just extremely curious at how you'd play this game, I've played and beat every single Pokemon since Red/Blue/Yellow days. I would really like to get into the wi-fi community and this seems like the perfect place to get started. The funny thing is, this is my first post on this forum!

Anyways, if anyone would like to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Ok, I'm extremely knew to this whole Wi-Fi battling community deal. I used to be an avid runescape player so I have some type of sense with the forums etc. I'm just trying to get guided in the right direction and felt this was the best place to post my question(s).

First off, I'd like to know if there is anyone that is willing to guide me, I'm extremely eager to know more about the metagame and willing to work with schedules (I'm very busy at the moment but I tend to stay up late). I know the Tutoring Cycle hasn't updated but I was just wondering if there was a tutor that was eager to tutor me on a personal basis (not too personal... just more close... I can't find the word...).

Second off, I want to know how you obtain your teams pokemon. I mean, I know that there's the RNG Abusing strategy etc. But what are the limits? (AR Nature Modifier acceptable? AR IV Modifier acceptable? etc.) I've attempted RNG abusing a shiny egg, and I was successful, but when it comes to RNG abusing an IV egg... that's where I fail miserably. I've been trying my hardest but I just can't seem to get the correct pokemon IV's. So, I was wondering if there are any other methods besides the little giveaway deals. Is there someone that just gives them away? Is there someone that could take you under their wing?

3rd off, I would like to apologize for being such a noob, I'm just extremely curious at how you'd play this game, I've played and beat every single Pokemon since Red/Blue/Yellow days. I would really like to get into the wi-fi community and this seems like the perfect place to get started. The funny thing is, this is my first post on this forum!

Anyways, if anyone would like to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Unfortunately, our tutoring program is not for Wi-Fi battling. We use a computer battle simulator called ShoddyBattle to play our matches (as does most of the competitive community here on Smogon). If you are primarily interested in Wi-Fi battling, you should check out our Wi-Fi forums and tournaments. If you're looking to still get tutored, you should download ShoddyBattle and get acquainted with it so that once signups are open again, you can apply and get a tutor eventually. I know the process sounds slow, but it's simply because there are far more people looking for tutors than there are tutors.

Unfortunately, our tutoring program is not for Wi-Fi battling. We use a computer battle simulator called ShoddyBattle to play our matches (as does most of the competitive community here on Smogon). If you are primarily interested in Wi-Fi battling, you should check out our Wi-Fi forums and tournaments. If you're looking to still get tutored, you should download ShoddyBattle and get acquainted with it so that once signups are open again, you can apply and get a tutor eventually. I know the process sounds slow, but it's simply because there are far more people looking for tutors than there are tutors.
I have ShoddyBattle downloaded and I've done the whole ShoddyBattle thing, My main question is how do you get the actual Pokemon in-game. Obviously you catch them/train them, but for people that know how to RNG Abuse, I was trying to see if there was someone that could help me out with the whole Wi-Fi battling/IV/RNG thing. I came here because I figured this specific forum was somewhat along the lines of that. I guess I was mistaken. I can't find a forum that deals with answering questions about wi-fi battling and getting certain pokemon FOR wi-fi battling (an easier way to get the specific iv's etc.). If you could link me to a forum that deals with that it would be appreciated

i have problem downloading shoddy battle, i found it complicated to install and set up the settting, can anyone help me how to download it and the steps to install the program?

I have ShoddyBattle downloaded and I've done the whole ShoddyBattle thing, My main question is how do you get the actual Pokemon in-game. Obviously you catch them/train them, but for people that know how to RNG Abuse, I was trying to see if there was someone that could help me out with the whole Wi-Fi battling/IV/RNG thing. I came here because I figured this specific forum was somewhat along the lines of that. I guess I was mistaken. I can't find a forum that deals with answering questions about wi-fi battling and getting certain pokemon FOR wi-fi battling (an easier way to get the specific iv's etc.). If you could link me to a forum that deals with that it would be appreciated
Yeah, this isn't the place for that. You should read the RNG research topic posted by Mingot if you want to learn about that. Other than that, I suggest reading all the articles we have on in-game stuff, and maybe making a friend or two on the Wi-Fi forums and ask them.

i have problem downloading shoddy battle, i found it complicated to install and set up the settting, can anyone help me how to download it and the steps to install the program?
This isn't the place to ask.

Yeah, this isn't the place for that. You should read the RNG research topic posted by Mingot if you want to learn about that. Other than that, I suggest reading all the articles we have on in-game stuff, and maybe making a friend or two on the Wi-Fi forums and ask them.
Thanks.

This isn't the place to ask.[/QUOTE]

So this isnt the place to ask about shoddy battle, i've tried to post on how to install shoddy battle on shoddy battle thread but i just cant reply a post ? The posting rule say so. I can reply a post on this thread but i cant reply a post on other threads? Please i need help..

So this isnt the place to ask about shoddy battle, i've tried to post on how to install shoddy battle on shoddy battle thread but i just cant reply a post ? The posting rule say so. I can reply a post on this thread but i cant reply a post on other threads? Please i need help..
This thread is about asking question about this subforum, Battling 101, which is where newcomers can come to seek one on one tutoring for competitive play.

Questions about the program Shoddybattle should probably be taken to the Shoddybattle subforum, located here.

But, you should probably start by reading the stickied thread about common issues people encounter running Shoddybattle, which I assume you haven't done, which is here.

Hey guys, I'm really interested in becoming tutee but I didn't seem to find a sticky, or something, explaining exactly what I should expect from entering the program. If there is one (which would contain the answers i seek) and I simply missed it, link it pretty please.

Otherwise, I'm wondering:
1. Are the tutors going through, like, a schedule of things to learn us alas it wouldn't matter really which tutor you would be given? Or are they completly free in what to learn us and more personal?
2. Will they help us create a team completly from scratch or are we advised to have some kind of "goal" or "core-pokemon" that we want to work around?
3. Do we specify if we want to create/learn how to create a certain type of team? (ie offsensive, balanced, stall) Or are all tutors experienced in all types of styles?
4. Is it only advantageous for us completely new to the competetive gamestyle to sign up, or could you get extra aid before, example: a tournament?
5. Will we do practice battles, commenting what to think of where the tutor uses commonly used teams/combinations or how do we learn?

That will do for now, after all I got 14 more posts to create before I'm even able to sign up. I do see the reason to this rule but it's still anoying since I don't feel I have much to contribute to the community yet.
Oh, I just want to say how awesome I think this whole battling 101 system is, and Im really looking forward to being able to take part of it and ultimately becoming a part of the smogon community. When I searched "Advanced pokemon battling" I was prepard to find posts every here and there and perhaps a couple of scattered guides, but I wasn't excpeting a whole community.

Hi guys, I'm Theft!

Hey guys, I'm really interested in becoming tutee but I didn't seem to find a sticky, or something, explaining exactly what I should expect from entering the program. If there is one (which would contain the answers i seek) and I simply missed it, link it pretty please.

Otherwise, I'm wondering:
1. Are the tutors going through, like, a schedule of things to learn us alas it wouldn't matter really which tutor you would be given? Or are they completly free in what to learn us and more personal?
2. Will they help us create a team completly from scratch or are we advised to have some kind of "goal" or "core-pokemon" that we want to work around?
3. Do we specify if we want to create/learn how to create a certain type of team? (ie offsensive, balanced, stall) Or are all tutors experienced in all types of styles?
4. Is it only advantageous for us completely new to the competetive gamestyle to sign up, or could you get extra aid before, example: a tournament?
5. Will we do practice battles, commenting what to think of where the tutor uses commonly used teams/combinations or how do we learn?

That will do for now, after all I got 14 more posts to create before I'm even able to sign up. I do see the reason to this rule but it's still anoying since I don't feel I have much to contribute to the community yet.
Oh, I just want to say how awesome I think this whole battling 101 system is, and Im really looking forward to being able to take part of it and ultimately becoming a part of the smogon community. When I searched "Advanced pokemon battling" I was prepard to find posts every here and there and perhaps a couple of scattered guides, but I wasn't excpeting a whole community.

Hi guys, I'm Theft!
Just when I was ready to close this thread due to nobody following the rules, you gotta come in here and ask some legitimate questions! THANKS.

1. We do not enforce a strict itinerary for tutors to abide by, so they are free to do things however they feel is most effective. Each tutor therefore teaches in his own way!
2. Yes, tutors are expected to be able to help their tutees build teams from scratch.
3. Some tutors are stronger in some styles than others, but all tutors should be able to teach any style at an advanced level.
4. Tutees come in at all levels, and we will only turn you down if we know you're already extremely good and have no reason to join the program. That being said, I think the basics of Pokemon battling are easy to figure out on your own, and you should try to do so before you get a tutor. You probably will have to wait a while after signing up before one is even assigned to you, so you might as well anyways. Also, the better you are when you start the program, the more advanced the tutors can get with their teachings.
5. I encourage all tutors to play matches with their tutees to help them first-hand. From what I understand, all tutors willingly do this either voluntarily, or at the request of their tutees. If your tutor refuses to play you or watch you play, come talk to me, cause that's not acceptable.

If you're struggling to come up with things to say on the Pokemo-related forums, you can always hang out in our social forums and accumulate posts that way instead.

Thanks for renewing my faith in this topic with your good questions! Keep an eye out for Round 47, as I will be opening it up again fairly soon!

Thanks for renewing my faith in this topic with your good questions! Keep an eye out for Round 47, as I will be opening it up again fairly soon!
I guess your welcome :p
But I don't like the sound of Round 47 being opened fairly soon since that sounds like less than 9 days!
Anyway, ofcourse I'm reading and trying to learn on my own, but it's so much information to get from smogon. It's hard to filter out all the unnecessary stuff and know what information to really take in (In the end every bit of information is important I guess, but when your new theres alot you could skip just to get going). Theres like 10 different movesets on all the (apperently) popular pokemon and after a whiles reading it just becomes to much and you don't know what to focus on.
Thats why the Battling 101 program feels so awesome cause they won't be throwing around unnecessary information, they will (atleast I hope they will) give you handsdown tips like: "if the lead is Azelf, expect this" based on whats popular right now so that you'll be able to get a "good" competetive start.

Since I probably won't be able to take part of the program for a while:
1. Is there any "basic-competetive-teams" that aren't super awesome but rather easy to use so I can get used to using shoddy and competetive battling generally?

2. What would you call "basics" of competetive battling and how would you suggest me learning on my own? I've been reading RMT's to try to learn whats commonly out there, but its still kinda fuzzy since their tactics and the tips are for just that team and so on, but I guess I'm getting some basic knowledge of things there. The dictionary (http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pokemon_dictionary) is nice aswell, especially the commonly used roles part and other smogon articles. But hey, any tips where to seek knowledge?

3. Would you recomend (since I plan to get a spot in the program sooner or later) to do some "trial and error" team creating/battling or rather keep learning through reading and wait for a tutor?

4. Would you recomend any of OU or UU over the other when it comes to beginner "friendlyness", both as where to get tutored and where to get started on my own? (It feels like OU is the most fun later on so I guess thats where Im gonna get tutored but hey, what do I know)

5. I don't really like the idea of "borrowing" someone elses team in RMT to get going since one of the ideas (for me) with pokemon is ultimate customization to everyones gamestyle, but would you recomend it? Or is it even taboo to "borrow" peoples teams (I dunno, haven't read through the RMT rules yet)

I realize these questions are a bit more on how to get started generally rather than questions about the Battling 101 itself but its still connected and I'm just so pumped to get started. I would very much appreciate answers as good as to my first questions (Thank you Philip7086), even though they may be sliding on wether to fit here or not (I'm not really sure where they would fit >.<). I'm just excited to get started!

//Theft

In reply to theft (Avoiding quoting due to unnesecary wall of text when it's above.)

I found the best way to get started pick 6 pokemon off the tier list you like and seem to have decent type coverage. Play, see what your weaknesses are, change it, play some more, try some new things, edit it, play some more.

It doesnt replace pure tutoring unless you have lots of time (Which is why im gonna try sign up on the first round after my exams finnish) but it helped me get started and make sense of the infomation overlaod.

VKCA

You could try slapping together a team with the top ou pokes, then just swapping out pokemon until you find a team you like, but I would recommend taking a team from the archive and just laddering with it. Their aren't any taboos against borrowing teams, most of the teams that are put up in the archive are actually teams that are being retired (ie: the creator doesn't want to use it anymore), so nobody is going to get mad if you use them.

Also, I'd recommend ou to start off in, it has the most battlers so you'll have an easy time finding a battle without having to wait a while.

I realize these questions are a bit more on how to get started generally rather than questions about the Battling 101 itself but its still connected and I'm just so pumped to get started. I would very much appreciate answers as good as to my first questions (Thank you Philip7086), even though they may be sliding on wether to fit here or not (I'm not really sure where they would fit >.<). I'm just excited to get started!
If you're unsure where to put a question, the Ask a simple question, get a simple answer thread in stark is generally a good place to ask it (although I think this thread was probably the best for you're questions).

Ok, so i am new to all this ( the competitive battling part), would we be learning about IV's, EV's and all that other stuff when we are assigned a tutor?

VKCA

Ok, so i am new to all this ( the competitive battling part), would we be learning about IV's, EV's and all that other stuff when we are assigned a tutor?
There are a variety of guides for those things on the internet, as far as I know, the battling 101 program is for team building, advanced strategies for battling, and introduction into different metagames. For the basics of pokemon the Introduction to competitive pokemon battling article on site should help as well as Serebii, which has a game mechanics section that explains most of the things you asked about.
EV's
IV's

Edit: hahaha I didn't know we had an ev guide on site. Forget the serebii one, smogon's looks better.
Devilock try not to make philip cry

I'll go ahead and change my question, then. If you have to infract me anyway, that's fine because I deserve it.

So now that we no longer have "rounds" of tutoring, is there no tournament? Is the process a lot less formal now?

VKCA

NOTE: This is NOT a signup thread, nor is it a thread to post your intent to sign up. Also, please do not ask when the signups will be open - they will be reopened when most of the currently signed up tutees complete their round. Users who ask these questions in the thread are subject to an infraction. You have been warned!
guy's your going to make phil cry

What other things the people that is waiting to be tutored can do to improve in the meantime? (i have read articles, checked the smogon dex, but i still lack the ability to build a team with good synergy)

@OzoneFire : Trial and error, practice, and becoming for familiar with the game will all help you. Also, this is probably not the place to ask that question. This thread is more for specific questions about Battling 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)