Mirror Match Tournament - Sign Ups

Implement IV Staggering?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
General rules on entering a tournament.

approved by Sonuis

Mirror Match Tournament

This tournament is designed to remove three large parts of the game, in order to examine in detail one aspect of competitive Pokemon: Skill. This will be achieved by making sure that each player is always using the same team as their opponent.

Here is what is removed:

• There is no need to build a "good" team, your opponent will always start with whatever you do. You may try building a team which you will be more comfortable with than your opponent, but will not have a material advantage.
  • You will not be guessing about your opponent's team during the battle, you will know exactly what choices they have and may make your moves accordingly. This lack of uncertainty allows for much more long term planing.
  • There will never be an uneven team matchup, which often makes a match one sided despite even skill levels and effort put into team building.

Rules:

In short:

1. In each match you will be using the same team as your opponent.
  2. Each pairing will play three games, one with a team made by each player and one made by me or a guest team builder.
  3. The team builder will set clauses for battles using their team (timed battle and sleep clause must be on). All teams will be posted in the current round's thread.

Each pairing will have three matches, the player with the most wins will go through. If one player wins the first two matches you are not required to play the third.

Each match will take place with a different team. One will be with a team of your design, one will be with a team made by your opponent and one with a team which I (or a guest team builder) will make and post in the OP of each round.

Your team may use any Pokemon (including Ubers) at any level, it may break the species clause, it may include Pokemon with OHKO moves, Evasion boosting moves, or any other move. The team may not contain illegal movesets, EV spreads (Watch out for Arceus, it may not have more than 100 EVs per stat.) or anything else that is not possible in game. All shoddy clauses other than Timed Battle, Self KO Clause, and Sleep Clause, which must be on, and Random Battle, which must be off, are at the discretion of the team builder.

I want you guys to have to think about this. Battles decided by who can be bothered to wait through an extreme PP stall or a near instant/unavoidable coin flip are uninteresting. Restrictions I will impose on team building are:

• If a team is specifically designed for endless or near endless stall against itself, and the battle ends up as an excessively long stall war (running into the hundreds of turns) then the win for that match will be awarded to the player who did not design the team.
  • If a team is specifically designed to turn the match into a simple coin flip (e.g. a team of Pokemon who learn only Explosion or Memento), then it will be disqualified. Note that this does not exclude teams that use luck based strategy, only those that try to "play the system" and make the match into an overly simple battle that is determined purely or almost purely by luck.

If you are unsure about an opponent's team, contact me before playing them. Logs will be required if a battle is disputed, be sure to save them. There is no need to PM me logs so please don't unless you have good reason, you may post logs in the current round's thread if you wish.

When you have made your team for a round use Shoddy Battle's Export to text feature (Tools -> Export to text) and post it in this thread (you must specify any non-31-all IV spread since export to text misses this. Hidden Power users and legends beware) then PM, VM or otherwise contact your opponent with a link to your post (can be found by clicking the number in the upper right of each post). Once you have posted your team you may not edit it or the post which contains post in any way.

When reconstructing a team made by another player double check everything. If you make a mistake you will be disqualified unless your opponent decides to allow a rebattle (it is entirely their choice, do not try to pressure them). Any intentional changing of teams to make the matchup not even will result in you being instantly disqualified and banned from entering tournaments. Don't risk it.

The player who made the team should select the clauses and send the challenge. Unless otherwise agreed the team made by the player listed first in the match pairings should be used first, followed by the team made by me or a guest team builder, followed by the team made by the player listed second.

For example:
Player A Vs Player B
Players A's team would be used first, then the team which everyone uses, then Player B's team.

This order is not strictly enforced, if players chose together to do the battles in another order (e.g. because not all teams are ready) it is perfectly acceptable.

There are no rules against collaborating on a team or strategy with other players, please do. Despite there being no direct advantage from team knowledge, scouting opponent's matches to gauge their playstyle is forbidden.

Pairing will be generated with Mekkah's bracketmaker.

Final decisions on rules and clarifications will be made by me, or in cases that involve my matches by Sonuis or another Tournament Director.

Additionally, there is a choice for you, the players of the tournament, to make. A rule could be introduced which cuts down the number of speed ties for most matches significantly. Three Pokemon on each team would have their Speed stat lowered by one point. Which Pokemon would have lower Speed on which team would be decided by the following method:
Player A makes the team.
Player B selects a Pokemon, Player A selects a Pokemon Player B selects a Pokemon.... Pokemon that Player B selected would have their speed lowered on Player A's team but not Player B's, and vice versa.

To clarify, IVs would not be staggered on the teams everyone uses as there is no fair (and non luck based) way to decide who gets to pick first. On the player built teams the builders will be able to take account of the opponent being able to pick first and set the team up in such a way as to minimize the advantage.

With this staggering implemented the games would be less influenced by luck, however the symmetry would be broken and it would be annoying to go through the process of choosing who lowers which IV each time. It also makes team building harder, since you would have to mitigate the effect of your opponent getting the first pick. I will decide whether to implement IV staggering based on public opinion and reasons presented in this thread. I ask that only players who intend to play in this tournament vote on the poll.

Posts talking about it (to avoid them getting lost):
tophway
ete (reply to tophway)
undisput3d
tophway (reply to ete)

This thread will be left open for 48 hours or until people stop signing up. Depending on interest this will be either a 32, 48, 64 or 96 (edit: maybe 128 if this keeps up!) player tournament (48 and 96 will be played as single elim until three players remain, then the three will each play eachother). Subs will be wanted whatever size the tourney ends up being, players will be selected per the new rules (first half get in, rest of the pool is randomly selected from everyone who signed up).

You will have only a few days to post each team, the deadlines will be relatively short to keep the pace up, and I will be disqualifying anyone who is not active. Extensions will only be granted in highly exceptional circumstances, "we got in contact a couple of days before the deadline and could not get a good time arranged" does not cut it.

Accompanying Stark thread for discussion of strategies and the concept.

Players:
1. eric the espeon
2. reyscarface
3. Delta 2777
4. Dragonknight!
5. DarkLucario
6. Testing...
7. locopoke
8. Krack
9. Serendipity
10. SilentEcho
11. Yondie
12. The_Chaser
13. Golden Sun
14. Corndog
15. zorbees
16. Eo Ut Mortus
17. Joel
18. pastel
19. Blue_Tornado
20. tophway
21. shuckles my hero
22. snorlax
23. twash
24. Earthworm
25. iss
26. FM
27. Regi1337
28. Cloud9.
29. Keelhauled
30. reachzero
31. little loven
32. Cristall
33. Class
34. apologies
35. Jolteon17
36. Fuzznip
37. Milenko
38. Alaka
39. askaninjask
40. M Dragon
41. Maaf
42. Sledge
43. Chomper The Sharptooth
44. Frizy
45. TDS
46. Reverb
47. Minato.
48. HR.
49. The Politoed Hunter
50. Deep Thought
51. manu-7p2b
52. zarator
53. Justinawe
54. StevenSnype
55. shep
56. undisput3d
57. ReddyGo
58. SoT
59. rayquazamaster776
60. Disposable Puppets
61. Towelie
62. purplefingers
63. JabbaTheGriffin
64. TheFourthChaser
65. Rising_Dusk
66. Dr. Attack
67. Veritas
68. Vader
69. polelover44
70. fohg
71. HSA
72. PttP
73. supermarth64
74. Raseri
75. CHENN
76. ILoveLiza
77. Megan_Fox
78. Tsunami
79. Master of the Six Kings
80. coolking49
81. tito
82. LinIsKorean
83. lucas69xx
84. Cost
85. Heysup
86. badalcristiano
87. Lady Bug
88. Vaz
89. Bobtheball4
90. Arin
91. 420
92. Lord Liam
93. -Mind-
94. Coronis
95. KnightoftheWind
96. SevveN
97. Volvy
98. Mien.
99. DaPlayaFlow
100. Suix
101. Yehom
102. Conflict
103. Optimusje
104. The Real Elmo
105. Toaster From Space
106. UltraSkydive
107. Seafunks
108. kael
109. Timmilein
110. Phyres
111. Mekkah
112. Showsni
113. 6A9 Ace Matador
114. B-Lulz
115. Declanp
116. seanp
117. Dark_Psiana
118. bigfoots
119. Spyros
120. MetaNite
121. Dummy007
122. LiNAInVeRsE
123. wraith
124. Agammemnon
125. ehssan
126. TV-Rocka
127. PrayingMantis
128. King Emerald
129. AshPe
130. zach the great

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lol, 8 players before i got the poll up. and 5 in just over a minute. how fast do you guys read?

EDIT: So would a team of say, Arceus/Arceus/Arceus/Caterpie/Caterpie/Caterpie be legal?
Yes it would. But watch out for Arceus's EVs, not more than 100 per stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)