A Dark and Stormy Night - Uber RMT

It was a Dark and Stormy Night...

Hello everyone.

I feel this to be of the better teams I've made, and I've so far achieved moderate success with it. Of course, if you have any suggestions, please tell me so that I can add them!

This team is based around Kingdra. Kingdra is a monster in the rain, with blazing speed and unresisted dual mixed STAB attacks at its disposal. Once Kingdra gets in, at least two Pokemon are practically guaranteed to go with it. The basic strategy of this team is to weaken my opponent with Dialga and Garchomp to the point where Kingdra can come in and finish off what remains. Of course, Kyogre is always threatening to sweep too, especially if my Scizor can dispose of any opposing Latias.

- Team Building -

So I had decided to base the team around Kingdra. Of course I'd also need Kyogre to set up the rain.

I then considered that one of the biggest issues with using Kingdra would be the threat of Groudon. To hopefully lure Groudon in, I decided to use a mixed Dialga. If Groudon comes in to stop what could be a Bulk Up set, Draco Meteor will permanently cripple if not outright KO Groudon.

Another issue to Rain teams is Tyranitar; I needed a solid Tyranitar counter. I also needed a way of stopping DD Rayquaza, as Kingdra cannot revenge kill with Air Lock active. Garchomp accomplished both of these tasks, and had great type synergy with Kyogre.

I then needed a Steel type. To avoid another Ground weakness, Scizor was perfect.

At this point, I had an almost complete team. All I needed was something to set up SR and Spikes while remaining rather offensive. I figured that Deoxys-E would be a good choice, especially since my team had solid answers to both Shaymin-S and Darkrai.

- In Depth -

Deoxys-e @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

Deoxys-E is a very common lead, and with good reason; Deoxys-E can easily set up multiple entry hazard layers for me if not stopped. I chose to use a Focus Sash instead of a Lum Berry because Kyogre can easily deal with Darkrai and Dark Void. With a Focus Sash, I can survive things like Scarfed Kyogre's Water Spout. Ice beam deals with leading Rayquazas, and also provides a buffer against Garchomp if Deoxys-E is still around at that point. By starting with SR and Spikes right off the bat, the damage begins to add up immediately, as well as making Kingdra a real force to be reckoned with.

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/82 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk

Kyogre sets up the rain, both hampering Sunny Day teams and turning Kingdra into a monster. The EVs were borrowed from the "Rain Offense Guide" article on this site. Although their original purpose is to give Kyogre the ability to survive a +2 LO Dragon Claw from Rayquaza, the defensive investment, coupled with a CM or two, turn Kyogre into both an extremely sturdy tank and an offensive terror.

Kyogre can come in on all sorts of things, from Scizor's Bullet Punch to Darkrai's Dark Void to Heatran's Fire Blast, and threaten devastion with Surf and Calm Mind. Often the only thing stopping a CM Kyogre from sweeping is Latias, who Scizor can deal with rather easily. Once Latias is gone, Kyogre is near unstoppable.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 68 Atk/188 Spd/252 SAtk
Mild nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Surf
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor

The secret weapon of the team, Kingdra is a monster in the rain. As always, Draco Meteor is a scarily strong move, while Surf hits Steels and, amazingly, is stronger than Draco Meteor in the rain. Together, they hit everything for at least nuetral, as well as both recieving STAB. Draco Meteor also cripples Groudon, ensuring that the next time around Groudon won't be able to stop Kingdra. Waterfall and Outrage provide that same unresisted dual STAB combination even after I've used Draco Meteor, letting Kingdra continue with it's killing spree. Outside of that, Waterfall destroys Tyranitar and Outrage takes out Kyogre. With Swift Swim, Kingdra attains 506 Speed, allowing Kingdra to both sweep and revenge kill when neccecary. Draco Meteor gives me the option of using a Dragon move without locking myself into Outrage, as well as denting incoming Groudon enough to ensure it will not be able to stop Kingdra the next time around.

Kingdra also comes with a 4x Fire and Water resistance, forcing my opponent to think twice before using either move. The only drawback to Kingdra is how fragile he is; he often dies from the LO recoil, entry hazards and damage takening switching in before he can make a complete sweep. When this happens, Garchomp usually ends up coming in to finish the job.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

Garchomp is a beast. In addition to being able to revenge kill just about everything, Garchomp provides me with a very solid counter to Tyranitar. Garchomp also stops DDRay, SDRay and SDLucario. As a bonus, if my opponent relies on Groudon as a counter to Garchomp, Garchomp can weaken Groudon enough to ensure Kingdra's sweep won't be stopped. Garchomp also has great synergy with Kyogre, as Thunders directed at Kyogre provide Garchomp a free switch in, while Kyogre can come in on the Ice attacks aimed at Garchomp.

Dialga @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Dialga is yet another beast. Dialga has an amazing typing with many resistances including Water, Dark, Electric and Grass, while being weak to neither Ice nor Dragon. Another feat Dialga accomplishes is the ability to lure in Groudon, only to nail them with a Draco Meteor. By running Hasty with 252 Speed EVs, Dialga is also a solid counter to SDLucario and SDRayquaza just in case Garchomp took too much previous damage to stop them. All that speed also lets me outrun everything without a +Speed nature and max speed up to Latias, which is quite a bit of stuff. The moves are pretty self explanatory. Draco Meteor devastates everything while Fire Blast hits Steels and Thunder deals with Kyogre and Manaphy. Outrage destroys both Blissey and Latias. There isn't that much to say about Dialga; he does his job, and he does it well.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP/56 Atk/252 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Scizor gives me those desirable and almost mandatory Steel resistances, such as Ice, Dragon and Dark. U-Turn keeps the momentum going and hits anything that doesn't resist it hard, while Bullet Punch is a surprisingly strong move with Technician, STAB, Choice Band and Adamant. As a backup plan against SDRay and SDLuke, Bullet Punch puts these two Pokemon in the range where Life Orb recoil coupled with damage taken switching in will stop them from sweeping. With Pursuit, U-Turn and Bullet Punch, Scizor can take out Latias too, and once they're gone there is seldom anything stopping Kyogre from doing a full sweep of the enemy team. Superpower hits Dialga hard, nearly 1HKOing it, a Pokemon who otherwise can survive Kingdra's assaults and stop its sweep. The Fire attacks people love to throw at Scizor provide Kingdra, Kyogre and Garchomp a free switch in. Scizor also makes an excellent counter to Darkrai once Sleep Clause has been activated, with U-Turn 1HKOing Darkrai and Bullet Punch finishing off ones who have already been weakened.

- Threats -

Blissey: Kyogre laughs at non-CM Blissey, while Dialga, Kingdra, Scizor and Garchomp all scare off Blissey.
Darkrai: Kyogre can absorb easily absorb the Dark Void. After that, Scizor makes quick work of Darkrai.
Deoxys-A: Provided SR broke its Sash, all of Scizor, Garchomp, Deoxys-S and Kingdra if it's raining can outspeed and KO Deoxys-A.
Deoxys-D: Although hard to 1HKO, Deoxys-D is generally not a problem.
Deoxys-S: Scizor can either BP, Pursuit or U-Turn depending on what the situation calls for.
Dialga:

• Non-Bulk Up: While obviously nothing enjoys getting hit with Draco Meteor, all of Scizor, Garchomp and Dialga can do severe damage when given the chance.

• Bulk Up: Bulk Up Dialga is definitely nothing to laugh at. Garchomp can quickly come in and spam EQs, and if Dialga locks itself into Outrage Scizor can use Superpower in return. My own Dialga's Draco Meteor also does a large chunk of damage, and is able to KO a weakened Dialga.
Forretress: Kyogre can come in, threatening to set up or 2HKO Forretress. Additionally, Dialga can 1HKO with Fire Blast.
Garchomp: Kyogre can take a hit and strike back with a powerful Surf, while Deoxys-S can nearly 1HKO with Ice Beam if it locks itself into Outrage. Kingdra does the same with Draco Meteor, and Scizor can similarly 2HKO with BP.
Giratina: Giratina fears Garchomp, Dialga and Kingdra, all of who can do massive damage, with Dialga being able to 1HKO with Draco Meteor.
Giratina-O: Again, Garchomp, Dialga and Kingdra all provide a buffer against G-O just as with Giratina.
Groudon:

• Rock Polish: Kyogre can survive an EQ and 1HKO back with Surf. Alternatively, if Kyogre fails to survive, Kingdra can come in, and now with the rain 1HKO Groudon with Surf.
  • Non-Rock Polish: Dialga can 1HKO Groudon who stay in, and Kyogre can switch in to both threaten a 1HKO and set the rain back up.
Ho-Oh: Although Kyogre is 2HKOed by Brave Bird, Kyogre still fears nothing else, destroys SF's power and can 1HKO. Dialga can come in, especially when it's raining, and threaten Thunder, while Kingdra can do the same when it's raining and threaten Waterfall.
Kyogre:

• Calm Mind + Rest: Dialga can threaten a 2HKO with Thunder. Also, Garchomp and Kingdra both possess powerful Outrages to 2HKO Kyogre with.
  • Non-Calm Mind: Dialga can accomplish what is almost a 1HKO with Thunder. Garchomp and Kingdra can pick off a weakened Kyogre too.
Lati@s: Garchomp, Kingdra and Dialga can all 1HKO with Outrage. Scizor can switch in on a recovery move and threaten either U-Turn or Pursuit.
Lugia: Dialga can Thunder until paralysis occurs. Kingdra has Draco Meteor, which can finish off an already weakened Lugia. Kingdra can also repeatedly Waterfall, hoping for either a flinch or crit before the LO recoil kills me.
Manaphy: Dialga's Thunder destroys Manaphy. Manaphy's frailty also allows Kingdra and Garchomp to revenge kill him.
Mew: Deoxys-S can Taunt Baton Pass variants, while Scizor's STAB U-Turn devastates Mew. Even with a Light Screen up, Mew is still dented when hit with STAB Draco Meteors, such as those of Kingdra and Dialga.
Mewtwo: Scizor can deal with Mewtwo, and although being unable to 1HKO, both Garchomp and Kingdra can revenge kill weakened Mewtwo.
Palkia: Fire Blast, Surf and Spacial Rend are laughed off by Kyogre, who can proceed to CM. If Palkia decides to Thunder, Garchomp can come in, outspeeding Palkia for the KO. If Kyogre isn't in tip-top shape, Scizor can take a Spacial Rend or two while Dialga/Kingdra don't mind Surf that much.
Rayquaza: Deoxys-S's Ice Beam takes care of DD Rayquaza. Scizor's BP can take off about 50% from Rayquaza, which coupled with SR damage gives Rayquaza just three turns before dieing from LO recoil. Dialga can outspeed and KO SD versions, while Garchomp outspeeds DD verions and can take a +2 ES from SD verions. All in all, Rayquaza is well accounted for.
Shaymin-S: Dialga laughs at both Seed Flare and Air Slash, and can in return 1HKO with Fire Blast.
Skarmory: Dialga can threaten either Thunder or Fire Blast, which should send Skarmory running. Kingdra and Kyogre can use Surf in a similar way.

- Closing -

Thank you for taking the time to read my RMT, and if you have any suggestions, questions etc., please tell me! I hope to enjoy reading your responses.

holy shit im using a team with kyogre kingdra scizor and dialga on it right now!

anyways the team looks solid overall but there are a few things I would change:
I would like to see more speed on kingdra. Sure 500 hits everything you NEED to hit, but many RP groudons and other kingdras (like mine) run more than 250 for this purpose.

i'm also noticing a weakness to heatran... that stupid torment protect sub heatran will currently defeat your entire team (except kyogre but that will be easy enough for the other 5 stall members). kingdra i guess can DD then try and predict with the waterfall and stuff, but if Tspikes are down then kingdra is useless as well. To help fix this i suggest changing kingdras moveset to surf/dracometeor/outrage/waterfall. This set does imediate damage instead of forcing you to DD to become powerful. Also, DD is pretty useless IMO as it is still killed by entry hazards, LO and priority.

I would suggest replacing LO on dialga to expert belt to bluff scarf and try and lure in forretresses/ do a shitload of extra damage to wobb. I would also suggest not banding scizor and using a roost uber trapper set to prevent being locked in to a move that can easily be set up on. However, then you essentially have my team but with scarfchomp instead of a palkia and deo instead of mewtwo, so take all this advice with a grain of salt

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like this team. The synergy and everything is all well and good,but I see this team having trouble with Stall. Since you have no spin-blocker, opposing teams have no trouble spinning away your hazards, making it harder for you to sweep. This is why I suggest changing Kyogre to a Specs Kyogre to really put the offensive pressure on your opponent (Darkrai is not much of an issue with your team anyway):

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
EVs: 220 HP/252 SpA/36 Spe (Credit to Deep Thought for this spread)
Nature: Modest
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

This juggernaut would make Forretress think twice before coming in and spinning/setting up hazards, lest it allows you to get a free Water Spout on something.

Also, I'm not sure if this is intended, but:

If Groudon comes in to stop what could be a Bulk Up set, Draco Meteor will permanently cripple if not outright KO Groudon.
Groudon won't like to switch into Dialga without Bulk Up, obviously, but I don't see Bulk Up on your Dialga. Bulk Up should go on Dialga (So now it can lure in Groudon), so replace Fire Blast with it (FB gets weakened in the rain anyway, and Dragon/Electric gives great coverage as it is).

Finally, I agree with ultimifier that it is better to replace DD with Surf or Hydro Pump on Kingdra. Without Wobbuffet support on your team, it will be difficult to set him up without getting massively wounded in the process. It is probably better that Kingdra can start hit hard right off the bat. I would suggest Hydro Pump, even with its crappy accuracy, because Kingdra really like the power.

Good luck with your team.

holy shit im using a team with kyogre kingdra scizor and dialga on it right now!

anyways the team looks solid overall but there are a few things I would change:
I would like to see more speed on kingdra. Sure 500 hits everything you NEED to hit, but many RP groudons and other kingdras (like mine) run more than 250 for this purpose.
More speed on Kingdra is a good idea. Thanks.

i'm also noticing a weakness to heatran... that stupid torment protect sub heatran will currently defeat your entire team (except kyogre but that will be easy enough for the other 5 stall members). kingdra i guess can DD then try and predict with the waterfall and stuff, but if Tspikes are down then kingdra is useless as well. To help fix this i suggest changing kingdras moveset to surf/dracometeor/outrage/waterfall. This set does imediate damage instead of forcing you to DD to become powerful. Also, DD is pretty useless IMO as it is still killed by entry hazards, LO and priority.
Yeah Heatran's a pain. I'll change DD to Surf.

I would suggest replacing LO on dialga to expert belt to bluff scarf and try and lure in forretresses/ do a shitload of extra damage to wobb. I would also suggest not banding scizor and using a roost uber trapper set to prevent being locked in to a move that can easily be set up on. However, then you essentially have my team but with scarfchomp instead of a palkia and deo instead of mewtwo, so take all this advice with a grain of salt
Although trying to bluff scarf is tempting, the power of LO is almost too much to give up, especially against Groudon, who I really need to 1HKO. The same goes for CB on Scizor - without the CB I lose quite a bit of damage, and I don't see myself having that many opportunities to Roost anyway.

I like this team. The synergy and everything is all well and good,but I see this team having trouble with Stall. Since you have no spin-blocker, opposing teams have no trouble spinning away your hazards, making it harder for you to sweep. This is why I suggest changing Kyogre to a Specs Kyogre to really put the offensive pressure on your opponent (Darkrai is not much of an issue with your team anyway):

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
EVs: 220 HP/252 SpA/36 Spe (Credit to Deep Thought for this spread)
Nature: Modest
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

This juggernaut would make Forretress think twice before coming in and spinning/setting up hazards, lest it allows you to get a free Water Spout on something.
Hmm.. well, specsogre IS alot more powerful, but I do lose alot of bulk, leftovers, recovery and a sleep absorber. And if Kyogre dies I'm in pretty big trouble weather wise. But then again you are right about Forretress, and Thunder is really useful against a lot of things (especially Lugia). I dont know, I'm on the fence with this.

Also, I'm not sure if this is intended, but:

Groudon won't like to switch into Dialga without Bulk Up, obviously, but I don't see Bulk Up on your Dialga. Bulk Up should go on Dialga (So now it can lure in Groudon), so replace Fire Blast with it (FB gets weakened in the rain anyway, and Dragon/Electric gives great coverage as it is).

Finally, I agree with ultimifier that it is better to replace DD with Surf or Hydro Pump on Kingdra. Without Wobbuffet support on your team, it will be difficult to set him up without getting massively wounded in the process. It is probably better that Kingdra can start hit hard right off the bat. I would suggest Hydro Pump, even with its crappy accuracy, because Kingdra really like the power.

Good luck with your team.
What I meant was that Groudon might switch in on the chance that it's a physical (specifically Bulk Up) Dialga, and I would then hit it with a DM as it comes in. Of course, if Groudon knew I had DM it wouldn't come in, but there's still a significant chance of it coming it, expecting a BU set.

I thought of adding BU to Dialga before, but I figured I would generally not have many chances to BU, and once I use Thunder or DM (and the only other options I would have would be BU or locking myself into Outrage) the masquerade is over. When I added in the fact that I'm losing a 1HKO on Scizor and Forretress (I think - it's still 2x effective after rain), I decided FB is probably a better choice. Sorry if it sounds like I'm shooting down your idea, but I really just don't see the merit of BU.

As for Hydro Pump, I agree with you but I can't see myself using it because moves always miss for me at the worst possible time. Draco Meteor is bad enough as it is.

Thank you for your suggestions, and if anyone has any more please tell me. :heart:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)