Monthly Art Contest!!!

The Smogon Monthly Art Contest!

Welcome to the very first Smogon Monthly Art Contest! A competition for both digital and traditional artists to show their stuff and boast their skills.

This Month's Theme: Toxic Mascot

Description: Submit your finest artwork of Koffing/Weezing

Plus Points For: Dynamic Pose

General Rules
[PLEASE READ ALL OF THE RULES BEFORE PARTICIPATING]

1. All Smogon Forum Rules Apply.

2. You're not allowed to ask when the next contest will be out, or when the next poll will be up.

3. If your entry is turned down, no whining, it broke the rules, get over it.

4. Stealing artwork is prohibited, this includes copying another artists’ work (excluding original Pokemon artwork). If you are found to be stealing, you will be disqualified and banned from the current Monthly Art Contest, banned for two MACs after two instances, and permanently banned after three instances.

5. Have a question, or want to suggest a rule or theme? PM Bucky or a current MAC judge with your question or suggestion. Please be practical with your suggestions.

6. Comments & criticisms are welcome, however posts such as “This one is definitely going to win/lose” or “This sucks!” will be deleted and such posts may get you infracted.

7. If you have a problem, take it to PM. We don't want you spamming up the topic.

8. Please don't disrupt this thread (i.e. asking stupid questions repeatedly, trolling, etc). Repeated offenses can get you temporary bans from the MAC.

Pariticipation Rules

1. All entries must fit the theme. The Theme will be specified at the top of the first post. Both traditional and digital pieces are acceptable.

2. All entries MUST fit size restraints.
MIN: 400x400
MAX: 800x800
Entries that do not meet size restraints will be completely ignored.

3. Any users found copying other submissions will be banned and disqualified from the current MAC.

4. DO NOT submit artwork containing vulgar or nude poses. Users who do so will be disqualified and banned from the current MAC.

Judge and Voting Rules and Notes

1. If you want to be a judge, PM Bucky.

2. Judges are allowed to enter the contests, but during judging, ARE NOT allowed to nominate themselves for a poll spot.

3. You are not allowed to vote for yourself on the poll. Anyone caught doing this will have their entry for the poll revoked, and the next runner up in the voting to take their place.

4. Any users found creating multiple accounts to post/vote in any MAC threads/polls will be infracted, disqualified and banned from the current MAC.

The Current Roster of Judges is:
1. Bucky
2. Alchemator
3. Wickdaggler
4. Scepticallistic
5. Doran Dragon

Deadline

The deadline is May 22nd. You have 21 days to get your entry in. After the deadline, judges will pick finalists and a poll will be started over the course of 3 days to decide the winner. [Note: Each MAC will generally last 21 days. Winners will be determined during the last week of each month]

Prizes
[More prizes to come soon!]
1st place winner will have their art featured in the Smeargle's Art Gallery!
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will recieve an inclusion in the MAC Hall of Fame. Consecutive wins will get you cooler trophies!

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I took out the part that says "DO NOT post works in progress...". Half the fun of art contests is seeing how people go from an idea to a finished image.

Besides that, everything else looks fine.

Sentret, the face on that Weezing is beyond badass... I'd love to see you experiment with some backgrounds to complement the overall mood of the picture. I'm not sure if you are going to keep the sketchy style, but it really does mesh well with the evil and slightly insane expression you've got going there. Man, way to start things off with a bang, who would have thought that Smogon's lovable mascot could evolve into such a monster? :o

I'll throw my hat into the ring later, it'd be brilliant to see this contest take off!

Will Pokemon always be the common theme by the way? I just thought it would be somewhat cool to build up a gallery of popular OU/UU Pokemon so people could use them for RMT's and stuff, although granted we'd need a fair few contests under our belts before such a gallery could really mean anything.

EDIT: OK yo here's my sketch of Weezing that I'll colour in Gimp or something, comments on what you think about the anatomy and shading would be most welcome. I'll probably throw in some gas clouds shaded in a similar style if I can figure out how on earth to pull that off haha

Awesome job Sentret! Looks like we're off to a great start!!

Will Pokemon always be the common theme by the way? I just thought it would be somewhat cool to build up a gallery of popular OU/UU Pokemon so people could use them for RMT's and stuff, although granted we'd need a fair few contests under our belts before such a gallery could really mean anything.
No, Pokemon will not always be the theme, but it will be a reoccurring one. I do like your idea very much though. I think that would be more successful as a separate project, and I'd totally join in if someone started it up :D

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
dude, scampy, thats fucking awesome
i love the monochrome renderings that you can create
i could definitely see that going in a professional comic book
cant wait to see it colored man

sentret i dig yours too bro haha
it reminds me of like, jhonen vasquez style a little bit?
he looks fucking devious there, both of them
thats whats so sick about weezing:
there are two outrageous faces to play around with

good luck dudes! im nervous about entering mine haha
ugh :<

Lovebite, I don't know how to tell you this.....

But I love you..........I really.......really.....love you.....

So this is my first ever art post, WIP for sure. I honestly fucking hate koffing because Grass starters are cool but bad guys always have a billion and three koffing so I get walled. But I drew one anway:

-snipped old pic-

I decided to make it funny since I'm bad at serious arts. Koffing is a ball of gas, so it has to fart sometime.

boo, the stupid gray thing was supposed to be way more opaque than it was >:/

Anywho, I'm kinda nervous about this so C+C is more than welcome. ^__^

EDIT: I also noticed the lines aren't as smooth around the edges as they first looked.

I don't know how i'll measure up to these fine pieces of art but i wanted to take a whack at this. Here's a quick sketch I whipped up of Koffing.

I tried to give him that sort of oblivious carefree look on his face of just floating off gracefull. I'm not sure how I'm going to color the smog but I guess I have some experimenting to do. Feel free to tell me what you think!

hi,
here is my entry

I don't really like it, but it was fun to make...
I really could make something much more beautiful out of it if I just could remake those mounth and eyes... :p
But unfartinatly, it isn't erasable :p

(wow seems like the scan strectched out my image very hard...)

I really like this threath... Not really time pressure and it's somethin else for once in a while :p I really want to learn how to draw on the pc, but i think I need a tablet to do this... I tried to draw in paint once... But that was just a disaster :p

ps:I really love jarardo martino's

Here's my finished version :7

noobiess, that's some serious skill with the pen you got there (that's my favourite medium to work with :toast:). Although having a tablet helps, you can always use an art program such as Gimp to simply colour and touch up hand drawn art you've scanned in, which can be done with the mouse after a bit of practice. I definitely recommend trying out digital mediums.

Alan, you're so right about Koffing, he was such a bastard to my Bulbasaur... anyway, as you're asking for some CC I have a couple of recommendations you may want to consider. You could probably make that shadow underneath a little bit bigger, just so it's roughly as wide as Koffing's body. He could do with a more pronounced black outline, same thickness as the lumps you've drawn towards the middle of the body (like maybe as thick as this ____). You've made a great start, I look forward to seeing where you take it

And finally, man I love Lovebite's lovely art ;_; Jarardo's sketch is really cool too

Hey I finished coloring!

The reason its bigger now is because Smogon shrinks pics when you upload them and it wouldnt upload this so went on to photobucket. Obviously, i worked with a very primative coloring medium (colored pencils). But overall i think it turned out ok. I might invest in some oil pastels in future since they are easier to blend colors with.

O.O
How are we supposed to compete with that? I mean... I would BUY that for like 20$ if it was a poster.
Needless to say, amazing job.

Edit:

Sir you can't smoke in here
"I'm in flavor country"
You're smokeing TWO cigarretes!
"It's a large country"

Great lighting and inking, Ylix! Totally dynamo.

I kind of drew this without knowing what direction it would take at all.

It's kind of grossing me out, to be honest.

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
holy jesus that is disgusting and i love it
i also love this one growth with the two mouths?
he looks so oblivious and content with his grossness haha
really interesting various textures around his girth too

yilx that is incredible man really
i love the expressions so much they look super pissed
i mightve just cropped it a little bit or played with foreshortening?
like maybe make the koffing out front closer to the viewer
its seriously well done dude very very pro

Har, I've never actually drawn anything, but I decided to give it the old college try anyways, just to be a sport.

Black n' White

Quick color

Done in MSPaint. With a tracker pad. I wish I had a bit more talent than this. :P

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
holy jesus that is disgusting and i love it
i also love this one growth with the two mouths?
he looks so oblivious and content with his grossness haha
really interesting various textures around his girth too

yilx that is incredible man really
i love the expressions so much they look super pissed
i mightve just cropped it a little bit or played with foreshortening?
like maybe make the koffing out front closer to the viewer
its seriously well done dude very very pro
Wow, I didn't think about that... I could try, but I think it'd be a little hard because the smog will need to be changed, too.

I'll probably do it once I get home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)