2010 music

Mehhhhh, MGMT hit #2 on the Billboard 200.

Happy for them...but....now they're.....popular......

Just hope they stay cult popular instead of going mainstream popular, kinda like the way Radiohead is.
Who cares... They were already ~popular~ because of Kids and Electric Feel anyways.

Speaking of MGMT, tbqh I kinda don't like Congratulations. Whatsoever. Shame :(.

Omni is... Good. Nothing freakin' amazing like I was hoping, just good.

Crystal Castles is aaaawwweesssooommmeeee.

BoA's 'IDENTITY' is pretty great too, even though a lot of fans consider it lukewarm. I thought it was great~

Ayumi Hamasaki's 'Rock n Roll Circus' was pretty enjoyable... But the tracks Sunrise and Sunset are garbage. D:

I keep thought Koda Kumi's 'UNIVERSE' was released in 2009, but apparently it was released in 2010... Weird. Pretty nice album I like it.

Utada needs to release a new english or japanese album soon... it's been too long since I got new music ;_;

Still "patiently" waiting for Ride or Die by Heartsrevolution. GRaahhh need a single or something you bastards.

thoughts about high violet?

not quite what i was expecting after the few tracks that were released prior to release. i was expecting some kind of middle ground between boxer and alligator after bloodbuzz ohio and the live version of terrible love, but the album version of terrible love is fuzzier and slower, and the rest of the album is similar, taking alot more cues from boxer than alligator. im fine with that, personally, because it's something the national do really well and tracks like afraid of everyone and lemonworld are really, really beautiful, but it seems like the kind of thing that ill enjoy more in the right mood.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
new dan le sac vs scroobius pip is out

lyrically kinda disappointing, i kinda agree with whatever review said that dan le sac could do very well by himself. scroob seems to be almost out of ideas..? still a solid release though. doesnt really compete with angles, unfortunately!

Waiting on Eminem to drop "Recovery". I may download B.O.B.'s album later today.

Airplanes 2 by B.O.B. feat. Eminem and Haley Williams is epic. Eminem stole yet another song with his "killa" verses.

new Tobacco is great. don't know if it's better than FuF, but it's different and good.

new 65daysofstatic is also great, a retrurn to their more electronic roots, and i'm a big fan.

listening to the new Crystal Castles right now and i must say that so far, i'm very impressed.

so my latest listens are pretty positive:

obviously the national is solid but i need more listens so i can compare to other albums.

my friend gave me dr. dog and the tallest man on earths new ablums.

i couldn't really get into dr. dog in the past but i'm really enjoying that one alot shame shame and a couple others a solid songs.

then the tallest man on earth, i'm sure his voice can be really off putting for some people and his lyrics are out there but im really really loving this guy

new God is an Astronaut - Age of the Fifth Sun on May 17, going to be streaming it on their myspace on the 29th, i'm pretty stoked

oh boy, together is amazing. wasnt sure if the rest of the album could stand up to crash years but it totally does and i couldnt imagine a more perfect album to be listening to now that summers starting

new Hot Chip is ok, but their singer seems almost too "good" to be with them. doesn't really fit.

new Flying Lotus is really cool. i can see it growing on me even more.

I am absolutely loving the new Hold Steady album, Heaven Is Whenever. even with the keyboardist gone it is still fantastic, experimenting with new sound and everything. i love it to death. sweet part of the city, hurrican j, the weekenders, barely breathing are the best tracks imo.

I am absolutely loving the new Hold Steady album, Heaven Is Whenever. even with the keyboardist gone it is still fantastic, experimenting with new sound and everything. i love it to death. sweet part of the city, hurrican j, the weekenders, barely breathing are the best tracks imo.
i'll be acquiring this soon.

along with like 30-40 other new releases.

i'm drowning here. T_T

new crystal castles is fan-fucking-tastic. i wont pretend to know a whole lot about electronic music, but i feel like this is a really good show of the different styles and branches of it. like, celestica is obviously amazing, and doe deer and birds are just so heavy, but when i decided to listen to vietnam while watching grainy youtube footage of the vietnam war (in my defence its late and im bored), i was kind of taken aback that a crystal castles track could be so affecting.

be interested to hear what people who know more about electronic music think of it?

Favorites of the year so far:

Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
Beach House - Teen Dream
Owen Pallett - Heartland
Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
Four Tet - There Is Love in You
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
The Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night
Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer
Hot Chip - One Life Stand

I didn't like Contra, Fang Island, Big Echo, Sisterworld, The Monitor, Romance Is Boring, or Black Noise.

Pretty good year so far, especially considering in one quarter of the year, we're about halfway to the number of albums that were memorable from 2009.

honestly, the only album from this year I have really fallen in love with is
Dessa - A Badly Broken Code

this chick is the best thing to happen to the hip hop game for a while, at least for the underground scene! She is an educated spoken word artist/singer/badass fucking rapper and its not often you find a female voice in hip hop as strong as this! regardless of what kind of music you listen to i cannot stress how good of album this is!! Do it!

here is the link to my favorite track on the album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptr-_QZXd6o
Although not at all typical of the other songs on her CD it is fucking wonderous!

well here it goes, my first serious list for the year.

listed in alphabetical order by album title.

i can put hide tags around it if people are annoyed.

albums i absolutely love

Cloudkicker: ]]][[[
The American Dollar: Atlas
Shining: Blackjazz
Barren Earth: Curse of the Red River
Daughters: Daughters
Fang Island: Fang Island
Jonsi: Go
Yellow Swans: Going Places
The Dillinger Escape Plan: Option Paralysis
Periphery: Periphery (instrumental)
Mouth of the Architect: The Violence Beneath
65daysofstatic: We Were Exploding Anyway

albums i like a lot and are still growing on me

Veil of Maya: [id]
Structures: All of the Above
Rinoa: An Age Among Them
Flying Lotus: Cosmogramma

Crystal Castles: Crystal Castles
Ufomammut: Eve
CocoRosie: Grey Oceans
These New Puritans: Hidden
Tobacco: Maniac Meat
In Mourning: Monolith
Periphery: Periphery (w/ vocals)
Emancipator: Safe in the Steep Cliffs
Les Discrets: Septembre et ses Dernières Pensées
Natural Snow Buildings: The Centauri Agent
Red Sparowes: The Fear is Excruciating, But Therein Lies the Answer
Sky Eats Airplane: The Sound of Symmetry
Dark Tranquillity: We Are the Void

albums that are decent that i'm still giving more time

Circa Survive: Blue Sky Noise
Errors: Come Down With Me
Balmorhea: Constellations
Adore: Distorted Minds
Citay: Dream Get Together
Alcest: Ecailles de Lune
Eluveitie: Everything Remains as it Always Was
Golden Retriever: Golden Retriever
Goldfrapp: Head First
Massive Attack: Heligoland
The Ocean: Heliocentric
Tre Watson: The Lexicon of the Human Subconscience
Ef: Mourning Golden Morning
Pat Metheny: Orchestrion
Gorillaz: Plastic Beach
Eluvium: Similies
]Khoma: A Final Storm
Holly Miranda: The Magician's Private Library
She & Him: Volume Two

albums that i'm not too big on but i haven't given up on yet

Ihsahn: After
Gonjasufi: A Sufi and a Killer
High on Fire: Snakes for the Divine
Living Sacrifice: The Infinite Order
The Knife: Tomorrow, in a Year
jj: n° 3

albums i'm not too big on

The Morning Benders: Big Echo
Broken Bells: Broken Bells
Vampire Weekend: Contra
The Ruby Suns: Light Softly
Hot Chip: One Life Stand
Dr. Dog: Shame, Shame
Arsis: Starve For the Devil
Demon Hunter: The World is a Thorn
Spoon: Transference
Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson: Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson

albums that i really don't like

Lair of the Minotaur: Evil Power
Ikuinen Kaamos: Fall of Icons
Joanna Newsom: Have One on Me
Field Music: Measures

albums i still need to listen to

Brainworlds: ...
Chapelier Fou: 613
Marc Doudin: A Chorus From 06.10AM to 01.42AM*
cssc: AM*
Portugal. the Man: American Ghetto
Celestia: Archanae Perfectii
Woods: At Echo Lake
Year of No Light: Ausserwelt
Bonobo: Black Sands
Robyn: Body Talk pt. 2
The Coast of Nebraska: The Coast of Nebraska
Comptroller: Comptroller
MGMT: Congratulations
Fosel: Couriers of the Air
Kayo Dot: Coyote
Dark Sanctuary: Dark Sanctuary
The Rhythm Messiahs: Daymare
Sinexoid: Deadlyze
1349: Demonoir
The Moving Dawn Orchestra: Dials
Membrane: Disaster
Aeternam: Disciples of the Unseen
The Crinn: Dreaming Saturn
Incubator: DTTM
You and What Army: The End of the Beginning
National Sunday Law: The Fifth Ape
Solution .45: For Aeons Past
Broken Social Scene: Forgiveness Rock Record
Nettless: From Beyond
Summer People: Good Problems
Supersillyus: Grampaspaceshuttle
Thomas Fehlmann: Gute Luft
[ME]: Hamden
The Hold Steady: Heaven is Whenever
Bifroest: Heidenmetal
Yung Life: I Be Scared When I Be By Myself
The Sight Below: It All Falls Apart
The Abominable Iron Sloth: The Id Will Overcome
Queen Anne's Lace: Just a Taste
Painbastard: Kriegserklaerung
Fall of Empyreon: A Life Spent Dying
Ponahaunted: Make it Real
Unfolding Machines: Methods and Modes
Mike Patton: Mondo Cane
Twilight: Monument to Time End
Dirigible Spoon: More Adventures in Time and Space
The Black Dog: Music For Real Airports
Mr. (BAN ME PLEASE) and the Competish: My Handsome Dick
Hooded Menace: Never Cross the Dead
Minus the Bear: Omni
Take: Only Mountain
Lali Puna: Our Inventions
Judgement Day: Peacocks / Pink Monsters
Rogue Wave: Permalight
Secret Cities: Pink Graffiti
Yolke: Poppy Wash
Me You Us Them: Post-Data
As I Lay Dying: The Powerless Rise
The Prayer Tree: The Prayer Tree
Jen Moon: The Progress of the Century
VVV: The Projects
GAYNGS: Relayted
Jeremy Messersmith: The Reluctant Graveyard
The River Empires: The River Empires (Epilogue)
Jaldeboath: The Rise of the Hearaldic Beast
Ayumi Hamasaki: Rock n' Roll Circus
Ceremony: Rocket Fire
Black Sun Aeon: Routa
Organum: Sorrow
Combs Creek Haller: Singularity
Alaska in Winter: Space Eagle
Winterphonic: Spirals
Noisia: Split the Atom
Oono Yuuki: Stars in Video Games
Lexithimie: Stroll Into the Shade for a Moment
Delorean: Subiza
Caribou: Swim
Ludicra: The Tenant
As the Stars Fall: Tempus Fugit
Jack Sparrow: Terminal / Torment
Altar of Plagues: Tides
Sky Technology: Time & Space
8bitstellar: TokBox
Pezzner: The Tracks are Alive
Beklager: Unnskyld
Violent Ends: Violent Ends
Dendemann: Vom Vintage Verwhet
Walls: Walls
The Mynabirds: What We Lose in the Fire We Gain in the Flood
Sea Grit: Wild Eyes
T++: Wireless
Sea of Dogs: You're Not Too Old

totally agree with fang island. the more i listen to that album, the more i love it. davey crocket is so fucking good, seriously. i just wish it was longer since the track takes like 5 minutes to gradually build into like the greatest thing ever and then dies down after a minute or so.

whenever i listen to it im imagining like a pirate doing guitar solos on a sinking ship and everything is exploding and he's stood right at the top just rocking the fuck out. that central guitar riff sends shivers down my spine every time.

Plastic beach has a few good songs; it grows on you. I absoluetly love emancipator, but I don't listen to much other modern music XD

http://www.wintersleep.com/

New album is playing on their website, if anyone else is interested.

Also, I find Congratulations and Plastic Beach have been growing on me, I didn't like them much initially.
ah cool will check out then, also i love those lists deschain

so i'm currently to trying to get into liars music now with drums not dead and sisterworld and i'm hopeful even though not the most accessible band

totally agree with fang island. the more i listen to that album, the more i love it. davey crocket is so fucking good, seriously. i just wish it was longer since the track takes like 5 minutes to gradually build into like the greatest thing ever and then dies down after a minute or so.

whenever i listen to it im imagining like a pirate doing guitar solos on a sinking ship and everything is exploding and he's stood right at the top just rocking the fuck out. that central guitar riff sends shivers down my spine every time.
haha, totally.

i actually just put that track on a mix i made for a group on last.fm, i'll link you when i upload it. the theme is "names". :nerd:

ah cool will check out then, also i love those lists deschain

so i'm currently to trying to get into liars music now with drums not dead and sisterworld and i'm hopeful even though not the most accessible band
*bows*

and i've never been able to get in to Liars, so good luck there.

i didnt think that the new vampire weekend was as good as their first, feel like there was just something lacking. and the new gorillaz album had soooo many guest... i just wanted to hear 2-d and have to sit through like 3 songs before he actually came in. but i still think that demon days is one of the best albums out there.
but...new circa survive is really good. much better then on letting go. though it does not trump the atmosphere of juturna.

sooo im going to break a rule i made earlier and post some impressions off one listen of new wintersleep. not a big fan at all, i totally respect when a band evolves its sound but i appreciate their untitled album way more after this one. they really took the rock songs off welcome to the night sky and decided to make a bunch of songs like it? eh i'm not a fan at all of this album actually

but of course im going to give it another try ha ha otherwise id be a huge hypocrite

I don't like Sky Eats Airplane.

*listens to new stuff*

I like Sky Eats Airplane.

Also just got Fang Island. Giving it a listen, just got to the second track but it's got a really nice sound and I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)