(Archive) Small Objective Changes Thread

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Electivire analysis - physical attacker

Still, you will be unable to do much damage to neither Swampert nor Hippowdon
Should say either/or, or even better, just "or"

Also, on the mixed set:

However, Hidden Power Grass (assuming it is equipped with an Expert Belt) allows Electivire to deal astounding damage to Swampert, even going as far as OHKOing it if it has switched into Stealth Rock twice.
Since swampert almost always carries leftovers (90%), this seems a little odd. I would recommend either replacing SR with spikes, or changing the whole sentence.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/swampert

In the analysis of Swampert's MixPert (Lead) set it says,
However, Lucario is able to set up on Blissey without much trouble, so a Gyarados, Zapdos, or Rotom-A (depending on Lucario's set) to prevent it from sweeping.
This sentence needs fixed into something like, "However, Lucario is able to set up on Blissey without much trouble, so a Gyarados, Zapdos, or Rotom-A (depending on Lucario's set) makes a good partner as they prevent it from sweeping."

I found a typo and some awkward English in The Smog #8's Underrated Movesets: UU article.

At the bottom paragraph or the article, it reads
The most general guideline for competitive battlers is to use the Pokémon that maximize their chances of winning. But just because a set is uncommon means it is less competitively viable than another. There are many factors that influence usage, including trends in team archetypes, ease of use, and reputation. While the first guideline is to use Pokémon that win, having fun while doing it follows close behind; go out and try these sets out if you haven't! If these feel these are a bit too well-known, don't be afraid to explore the tier—UU is full of Pokémon with niches that are being constantly discovered and redefined, and the variety that the metagame can bring is one of its most attractive qualities.
I believe the bolded part should be something to the effect of "But just because a set is uncommon does not mean it is less competitively viable than another, more common set." If this is just a misinterpretation on my part, sorry for wasting your time.

Mingot, after reading not to edit I thought I'd move this to a new post, as it is a much more important article than the jynx analysis-

In the Introduction to Competitive Pokemon (http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon):
"Although it may be difficult to comprehend at first, it is important to remember that directly countering every threat in the game is impossible. Even if the Diamond/Pearl metagame was not filled with more powerful sweepers than in any previous generation, the metagame is constantly changing..."

"...you should head over to Stark Mountain and check out the Rate My Team forum."
RMT is no longer in Stark Mountain

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/swampert

In the analysis of Swampert's MixPert (Lead) set it says,

This sentence needs fixed into something like, "However, Lucario is able to set up on Blissey without much trouble, so a Gyarados, Zapdos, or Rotom-A (depending on Lucario's set) makes a good partner as they prevent it from sweeping."
I found a typo and some awkward English in The Smog #8's Underrated Movesets: UU article.

At the bottom paragraph or the article, it reads

I believe the bolded part should be something to the effect of "But just because a set is uncommon does not mean it is less competitively viable than another, more common set." If this is just a misinterpretation on my part, sorry for wasting your time.
These are all fixed. Thank you.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/rain_offense

bronzong said:
Bronzong is one of the most reliable Pokémon in the game, and almost guarantees you an eight turn Rain Dance unless it is faced with a Taunting foe...
jirachi said:
Jirachi is an excellent Rain Dancer, with many things in its favor that other potential dancers don't have. First of all, it has excellent defensive stats and typing. Its bulk and resistances mean that it is very hard to take down...
persian said:
Persian makes a fine rain lead in UU, and it works along the same principles as Crobat does in OU. Hypnosis, Taunt and U-turn allow it to be an effective lead in general, and its great Speed allows it to set up Rain Dance before many opposing leads can hit it. It also has access to Fake Out, which, alongside Technician, can do respectable damage to many of the frailer leads in UU. However, despite its many similarities to Crobat, Persian has much frailer defenses, a worse typing, and no reliable recovery move, meaning that it will most likely only be able to use rain dance once in the game. That is not to say that Persian can't be an effective Pokémon - it can repeatedly switch in and hit its foes with a combination of Fake Out and Return / U-turn to cause free damage throughout the course of the battle. It is often overshadowed by Ambipom in UU; however, its access to Hypnosis sets it apart.
scizor said:
Scizor is an excellent supporting Pokémon on rain teams. Auto-weather inducers are the bane of rain teams, and Scizor can deal with Tyranitar and Abomasnow with ease using its powerful Bullet Punch. Also, its excellent defenses and typing can be built upon, allowing it to take out many other threats to rain teams such as Celebi, Blissey, Vaporeon, and Hippowdon.

Scizor's only weakness is lessened in the rain, and usually a rain team has many Fire resists to switch-in on Scizor's counters...
Rotom-w said:
Rotom provides valuable Fighting- and Ground-type immunities to rain teams usually rife with them (Kabutops, Omastar, Relicanth, etc).
i think he means rife with weaknesses...

lanturn said:
In the lower tiers, Lanturn is one of the best possible support Pokémon a rain team could wish for. With an immunity to Electric attacks and excellent resistances to Water, Fire, and Ice, Lanturn can take most special attacks all day long with little worry...
rotom said:
Much like Rotom-W in OU, the basic Rotom form makes an excellent support Pokémon in the lower tiers. Like Claydol, it provides resistances/immunities to Ground-, Electric-, and Fighting-type moves, and can set up rain and the screens. It can also use a powerful STAB Thunder in the rain, but misses out on the Hydro Pump its advanced forme gets. Rotom's typing is extremely useful in UU where the most common rain sweepers have weaknesses to all three of Ground, Fighting, and Electric, and so Rotom has ample opportunity to switch-in on these resisted hits to restart the rain.
tyranitar said:
Tyranitar is definitely a Pokémon to be wary of. However, Tyranitar will find it hard to repeatedly switch into super effective water attacks, so it is not too hard to beat if you stay on the offensive. Dugtrio and Scizor also make excellent revenge killers.
tentacruel said:
Tentacruel is one of the biggest threats to Rain Dance teams, all because of one move: Toxic Spikes.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think what is on-site is correct. It is saying that if Wynaut uses Encore on Earthquake, its teammates (Gligar and Drifloon) can set up against an opponent using Earthquake.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since it was in the counters section, I read it as being from the point of view of the Wynaut's opponent, who would not like their EQ Encored.

Very small correction, on Staraptor's page (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/staraptor), the SubRoost set is missing EV's. Also, there is no EV section at the bottom either, but I guess both of those are rather self-explanatory (although SubRoost might have more defensive EV's than the choice sets).
Thanks for catching that CBshuckle. There was actually a HTML error which caused the EVs to not appear on the set, which I just fixed. Also, the EV section of updated analyses is no longer present, as it's been combined with the Optional Changes section (sometimes there is no mention of EVs because they're self-explanatory).

Tyranitar, Choice Scarf set.

While most players expect Tyranitar to be slow and hard hitting, this set gives it a much needed boost in Speed at the cost of some of its attacking power. With a Choice Scarf attached, Tyranitar edges out many dangerous Overused threats such as Latias, Starmie, Azelf, Infernape, Gengar, Salamence, and Lucario, and can OHKO on all of them.
Most probably a typo, it should obviously be
and can OHKO all of them.

While reading the article "Playing in the Sandbox", I found a few more errors.

Empoleon also does well because it resists most priority attacks, including Ice Shard, ExtremeSpeed, Sucker Punch, and Bullet Punch.
Empoleon also resists Aqua Jet, Fake Out, and Shadow Sneak.

Swampert also does well to stop physical Salamence if it backs Ice Beam.
Backs should be changed to packs.

Also, there is no mention of Clefable, who is immune to sandstorm due to Magic Guard. It may not do anything very well on a sandstorm team, but has the gimmick factor, and I think it deserves a mention.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/xatu (Xatu Analysis)

In the Wannabe Jirachi set:
With the aid of either Reflect or Light Screen, Xatu is able to more easily pass Wish. The combination of a screen and Wish allows another member of the team to set up more easily.
This sounds awkward to me, perhaps change it to
With the aid of either Reflect or Light Screen, Xatu is able to have an easier time passing Wish. The combination of a screen and Wish allows another member of the team to set up easier.
Just a suggestion, it sounds better to me.

In the Special Choice set:
...note, however, that many Fighting-type Pokemon also carry attacks that Xatu is weak to, mostly Stone Edge and Dark-type attacks.
It should be changed to
...note, however, that many Fighting-type Pokemon also carry attacks that Xatu is weak to, such as Stone Edge or Dark-type attacks.
In the Other Options Section:
Thunder wave provides always-useful paralysis
The hyphen between always and useful is unnecessary.

In the Opinion section:
It has the access to Wish, an advantage that separates it from other Pokemon.
It is technically incorrect to say it has "the access" to Wish, it should be changed to simply "access".

Thanks, and I hope my first small changes in C&C helped.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue8/featured_pokemon

(does smog stuff actually go here <_>)

Since Latias is the bane of Infernape's existence, a way to remove it from play is absolutely necessary for Infernape to effectively sweep. Scarfed Tyranitar can guarantee Latias' extermination, though Sandstorm affects Infernape negatively enough that it may be more of a hindrance than a help. Metagross and Scizor can also Pursuit Latias to death, and Infernape can switch into Rotom-A's Will-O-Wisp for free, making him an effective teammate.
also why doesn't this article mention tentacruel as a counter (resists both stabs, neutral to everything else, ohkoes with surf)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)