OU Combinations

I like the concept of this. Rapid Spinner+ Pursuiter might actually be effective. However, I would recommend you change Weavile to Scizor. Weavile is incredibly fragile and being weak to Scizor's Bullet Punch does not help. (When weavile is switched out, there is the potential for Scizor to fire off an SD, which can mean gg right there.) Weavile does work fine there though, if you really want to use it.

Latias + Scizor + Heatran combo is probably one of the most commonly used but not usually noticed by most people. They each cover each others weaknesses and are all fairly good at setting up and getting out of danger.

I really like using Gyarados + Heatran + Electivire.

Heatran and Electivire attract earth attacks (hopefully choiced) so Gyara can come in and get a DD off. If an electric attack is on its way, obviously electivire goes in to get the speed boost. And Heatran can also revenge kill alot of things that can outspeed and do some real damage to the other two.

PIMPKnight
+

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Rash (+ SpA - SpD )
112 Atk/ 200 SpA/ 196 Spe
Draco Meter
Superpower
Fire Blast
Roost

Empoleon @ Peteya Berry
Modest ( + Atk - SpA )
12 Hp/ 12 Def/ 252 SpA/232 Spd
Agility
Subsitute
Surf
Ice Beam

These 2 pokemon wreak havoc when used correctly. With Dragonite you wreak walls like skarm and Bliss using both special and physical attacks and then wreak anything else you can. Once your opponent realizes they can out speed you with their dragon they will outrage you for the kill. Once Dragonite is dead you can switch in Empoleon and set up on their outrage. Note that Dragonite works better then other dragons because he attracts outrages better with his low speed.

^^ I think scizor deserves a mention there, scizor may come in for the revenge kill after a few turns of life orb recoil, CBzor comes in for the revenge kill, which lets empoleon come in and set up as he has a x4 resist to bullet punch.

I used to use this back when everyone was running teams with 2-3 Walls 3-4 sweepers. back in the days D/P. I think they were called balanced teams. Anyways here's the combo.

+

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SP. Def
Reflect
Thunder Wave
Ice Beam
Rest

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
252 Def/ 176 SP. Def/ 40 Sp. atk/ 40 Hp
Ability: Natural Cure
Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Seimic Toss
Ice Beam/ Flamethrower/ Toxic

I found this to be an awesome combo. It stopped most sweepers cold. Physical, special, or mixed. With Reflect up, Blissey became awesome. I used this on wifi. I think it will still be viable on a stall team in today's metagame.

Instant heal on Cresselia is awesome. I found it to be even more awesome to use Skarm or a Mixed Sweeper/ Scarf user alongside the combo. The residual damage + Toxic (if use) stalls out pokemon quickly.

I found this to be an awesome combo. It stopped most sweepers cold. Physical, special, or mixed. With Reflect up, Blissey became awesome. I used this on wifi. I think it will still be viable on a stall team in today's metagame.
Well, it can work on a stall team. The trouble is fitting it in. Stall teams need all 3 forms of residual damage, combined with a ghost and a victory condition (Perish Song/sweeper). If you use Cresselia, you will likely have to forgo your victory condition.

Unless you use Forretress and cram Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Rapid Spin onto him. It works, but isn't optimal.

I guess this would have worked far better in DP than it does now. I think Forretress would be better than Skarmory on a team using Cresselia.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Calm Mind Celebi + Curse Swampert

That's always been a favorite combo of mine. Ever since I used it with jr7's team, they work great together and they help one another set up which is always good with two stat up sweepers. I'll edit in the sets and spread in a bit, have to dig it up though.

Forry and Empoleon is great, but no one uses it. Although after Empoleon's recent revamp, it may get more attention.

[SIZE=-2]
[/SIZE]Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback
- Rest/Explosion/Reflect/Light Screen
---

Empoleon (M) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 12 HP/12 Def/232 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam
---

Nothing else will work over Forretress. The other good Toxic Spiker, Tentacruel, shares the Electric and Ground weakness with Empoleon. And Roserade is great for a sleeper, but otherwise is crap. And Forretress gets Pseudopass abilities should you wish to use them.

Feel free to fool around with the EVs on Forry, depending on your needs. These are used to optimize the situations in which Forry can set up, allowing him to go to work on many weak special attackers while not sacrificing much physical bulk.

You may wish to use a Swampert or Heatran to take the Fire atacks aimed at Forretress. But be warned: using a Heatran along with Empoleon will add to the Ground and Fighting weakness.

In addition to this, Cresselia is a choice for its resistance/immunity to Fighting/Ground attacks. In a similar vein, you may wish to try Salamence, as Intimidate can help it beat Lucario as well, but his overall defenses are rather mediocre. Gyarados is another option, but the Electric weakness is worrying.

This might work but would using a shed shell sakrm lure in fire and electric type pokemon. ANd then you can switch in dugtrio for the kill.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but it's a pretty good thread. Anyway, im shocked that no one mentioned the laxape combo. It's simple, thinks like latias, gengar, and scarfers like rotom are in the way of infernape sweep, weather it's NP or SD you're choice. And, you can bring snorlax in to pursuit them for the kill, but remeber to use CB lax. It's a great combo and once again, im shocked no one gave it a mention.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I saw a guy talk about Flygon + Empoleon.

+

If you've ever used Flygon you know that there can be a lot of times where you don't know what move to throw out, or worse, you're facing a speed tie with another flygon or jirachi. With Empoleon in the wings though, you can just cut loose, knowing that even if you lose the speed tie, Empoleon can come in, set up on the locked Outrage/Ice Punch, and lay waste to the opposing team with its incredible agility sweep offensive.

In a double battle, this works marvels:

Azelf:
naive @ focus sash
-stealth rock
-psychic
-explosion
-fire blast

Dusknoir:
impish @ leftovers
-will-o-wisp
-pain split
-ice punch
-earthquake

So what you do:
stealthrock first and burn any possible physical threat with willowisp.
Then you will use psycic or fire blast with azelf, depending on the situation.

The great thing about this is that azelf is unaffected by dusknoirs eartq. and azelfs explosion will screw your opponents, while dusknoir sits and attacks any possible survivors of the explosion.

I haven't ever seen this combo before, and therefor claim all the pokerights for it rofl

hope it works as well with you guys as it does here

How about some of the general combinations?

+

Resists every type in the game, then there's:

+

Also resists every type in the game between them, unfortunately, these two are stopped by Blissey, but if you run T-Bolt on Latias, she can work as a good Vappy counter

Not sure if these have been posted or mentioned yet, so sorry if they have, I have a feeling the MagneMence one has.

A combo that I find works much better than you would think is:

and

Using ambipom as a lead it can effectively combat all frail focus sash users except aerodactyl, but has trouble with bulky pokes and rotom switches. Swampert has to be the #1 counter to bulky steels such as metagross and jirachi, along with tyranitar, can set up stealth rocks after ambipom does its job, and gets a free switch into rotom. Since ambipom is immune to ghost rotom has to use thunderbolt, which swampert is immune to. The only problem I have is half the people attack ambipom with metagross, and half of them set up stealth rock which makes it difficult to know when to taunt because if sr is up they blow up in swamperts face.

Physically Bulky Machamp @ Leftovers
Impish
252 Def / 200 Att / 52 Hp
- Payback
- Stone Edge
- Dynamic Punch
- Bullet Punch

SD Luke @ LO
Adamant/Jolly
252 Att / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
- Sword Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extreme Speed

Dah dah dah Dang! In the same vein as dual dragon, dual fighting is extremely potent and devastating.

Usually i send out Machamp to scout the opponent's fighting resist, be it Gyarados, Salamence or Bulky Hippo, Machamp can easily take care of the first two even with intimidate. SR + resisted Dynamic Punch + Stone Edge KOs the mentioned two flyers with intimidate factored in while both fail to 1hko in return.

LO Waterfall barely scrapes 50% while Bounce still gets hit by Stone Edge(No Guard). LO Adamant Outrage similarly fails to 1hko and so does Draco Meteor and Salamence falls in the same way as Gyarados. Only CB Outrage has a chance to 1hko, although its not even a 100% chance, factor in 50% confusion rate and you find yourself in a very favourable position. Predicted Gengar switch-ins can be dealt with Stone Edge + Bullet Punch which is always a kill before Gengar can retaliate, while even if you mispredict a 100BP Stone Edge still hits whatever else damn freaking hard. Some other things to point out is that Machamp survives a non-specs Draco Meteor from Latias and KOs with Payback.

Ok so Machamp faints and the opponent thinks he is all set to go, then you bring in Lucario for a sweep. Left without his fighting counter or a weakened one, confused opponents makes it alot easier for Luke to get that SD up. Even bulkymax/max Hippo falls to a SD Close Combat after taking a Dynamic Punch. Frailer sweepers like Gengar have already been taken care off by Machamp who KOs most of them in a single hit while not being KOed by a non-choiced STAB boosted special attack.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm probably very wrong, but I haven't seen a mention of the CeleTran combo ITT yet, which really surprises me. Probably one of the best combos synergy wise, as they completely resist or are immune each others' weaknesses (Celebi - Fire, Bug, Dark, Poison, Flying, Ice, Ghost, while Heatran's is Water, Fighting, Ground). Both also have good Defensive stats (Celebi - 100/100/100 and Heatran - 91/106/106). They can pretty much form most of the Defensive Core of a Balanced team, and both have sweeping AND stalling capabilities (Celebi: Offensive - Tinkerbell, CM, Choice, Defensive: Countless sets and Heatran: Offensive - Choice, Life Orb, Defensive: Torment, Taunt, Burn Support)

Theres the combo of Mystic Gengar + Magnezone + DDmence that most of you probably know about (theres a archived RMT by scofield that employs it). Pretty much the gengar lures out the scizor (scarfed jirachi too i guess) then protects to find out what move scizor locks itself in. If it pursuits, you hp fire for the KO, if it uses BP, switch into magnezone. Either way scizor dies, paving the road for a DDmence sweep.

and shrang, Celetran was mentioned towards the beginning but u went more in depth

If no one has mentioned it yet
Uxie+ Jirachi + Swampert (that does not sub punch) /Kingdra

Jirachi is a wonderful switch in from either pokemon Because it resists the weaknesses of the other two no matter which they are not only that but the other two resist Jirachi's weaknesess Uxie Covers Ground and swampert or kingdra Covers fire Uxie because of it's lack of offense is a supporter and helps the other two pokemon sweep. Jirachi and kingdra Can fight from either side of the physical or special spectrum so which ever of kingdra or jirachi you make one Physical/Special Make The other of the two do what the first one is not doing that and swampert could be a mixed sweeper allowing jirachi to do what ever it wants

This is my version of a G/F/W combo in OU

Subseed Breloom

+

ScarfTran

+

Lead Swampert

It makes a really balanced core, only needing a fighing resist and a good pursuiter. Add in

SpecsLatias

+

CBScizor

and stat upper of your own (charge rotom) and you have a shitload of resistances on your table.

I find that SubPetaya Empoleon and CS Latias works really well together (sorry if somebody has already posted this). Together they resist every type in the game and Empoleon's worst nightmares, namely bulky waters and blissey, are dealt with by draco meteor/ thunderbolt/ trick. Not to mention that empoleon can easily come in off an attack aimed at latias with its decent defenses and set up. Both are immune to poison spikes and neither are weak to rock (hence stealth rock) which are just added bonuses. This combination does like having some kind of physical attacker and generally a DDTar works wonders and SDLuke is a good option as well.

Any Solid Dark+Ghost is a very good combo. Ghost can cover Dark's Fighting and Bug weakness, and in return, Dark can cover Ghost's Dark and Ghost weaknesses. Especially with two bulky pokemon. It can be a very good stall combination. Umbreon is my favorite pokemon. It is bulky, and can pass some wish support to the probably-non-reliable healing move ghost. And for the bulky ghost type, apparently, that is dusknoir. He can cripple many physical attackers that Umbreon cannot handle. Good teammates include Tentacruel and Hippowdon. Tentacruel can set up toxic spikes, as well as absorb them, and can also spin away other entry hazards which all harm Umbreon, Dusknoir, and Hippowdon. Hippowdon can handle SD lucario which can cause problems for the team and set up SS and SR. Dusknoir can also spinblock all of these entry hazards. The final two spots can be a special sponge(although tentacruel already does a nice job) or a bulky special attacker such as suicune and zapdos. The last pokemon should round up type coverage and/or handle threats such as gyrados, salamence, and heatran. A good example is scarf latias, porygon2, or starmie.

+
+

Trick Lead Jirachi works with any Pokemon that resist Fire and Ground (and it helps if they resist Fighting). The moveset of Trick/Iron Head/Stealth Rock/Body Slam, or Thunder-Wave with Choice Scarf really lets Jirachi dictate the beginning of the match.

Tricking is almost always what you should start off with, unless you suspect the lead is Choiced as well. Tricking a Pokemon that has just used Stealth Rock enables Jirachi a free turn to paralyze the incoming Pokemon, or setup your own Rocks. If Jirach is attacked by Swampert's Earthquake, or Azelf's Flamethrower/Fire Blast, they'll be locked into their move and it will give Gyarados/Latias, or another Pokemon that resist the move a chance to wreck havoc on the free switch.

Other Trick Leads work as well, but Jirachi has fantastic bulk and you fear very few lead Pokemon being able to OHKO Jirachi, outside of a lucky critical.

roserade+heatran+gyarados

resists every type in the game. Toxic spikes destroys heatran's counters. Roserade's massive spdef absorbs tbolts aimed at gyara and cripples even more switch-ins with sleep powder or stun spore. Gyara sets up and sweeps, with scarftran as cleanup duty. With the three you get a combination of speed, bulk, and power with resistances to everything to back them up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)