This is madness! (UU Hail Stall)

This is madness! (UU Hail Stall) v3.0

Well, weather teams have always been my thing..... I've always liked building teams around abusing weather to their benefit while forcing the opponent to suffer its negative effects. That being said, weather teams are harder to pull off in UU due to the fact that you must pack a very weak NFE to get the job done. In other ways they are easier (at least for hail) because Ttar isnt running around changing the weather every two turns. That being said, please take the time to rate my team and thank you for your time!

Team Building
---------------

Well, obviously, the first step was permanent hail. Only one allowed in UU, so say hello to Snover!

Next up was a reliable rapid spinner. I wanted to get this step out of the way because i KNEW i would be needing it no matter what. I looked around and found hitmontop, whose typing is also nice because it covers the Ice types Rock weakness and scares away Steel types.

Now i needed a staller... one good at abusing toxic preferably, and Ice type as well to be immune to Hail... and i found this in a little used poke named Articuno, whose SubRoost set is a pain to counter with low PP moves like Fire Blast.

Well, now i notice that nothing covers up either my Steel or Fire type weaknesses. I needed a bulky water. I looked around and debated between Lanturn and Milotic, before finally selecting Lanturn... who is also great because of his immunity to electric type attacks, covering every single one of Articuno's weaknesses besides Rock... which Hitmontop covers.

I wanted another staller... one which could lay entry Hazards. This one was a bit harder to find, because while they existed.... they were usually pretty easy to counter. However, one solution I didn't realize until i noticed the ability of a certain poke.... Froslass. In combination with Protect and Substitute, Froslass can scout for a miss then setup or safely damage the opponent with Blizzard.... so it earned its slot on my team while also providing me a spin blocker.

Well now I saw another problem. If Hitmontop died with Stealth Rock laid out, Articuno was royally screwed and essentially useless for the remainder of the game. Froslass did NOT enjoy it either. I needed another spinner. This was pretty easy to find, as it had been in my mind as a second choice for Hitmontop anyways.... offering two resistances for the frail Ice typing. Enter... Claydol.

Well this team worked pretty well, but eventually i found a problem... Arcanine wasn't really countered by Lanturn due to its pathetic Defense. It needed to go. After waving farewell to Lanturn, Resttalk Milotic was able to fit into its spot neatly, walling both physical and special hits fearlessly while still covering two of the Ice types weaknesses.

And this is was v1.0 of my team, which has worked pretty well but still has problems against the like of sub Raikou or any Raikou with leftovers for that matter, who i cannot solidly counter.
However, Froslass got the banhammer only days after this team was posted.... as did Raikou (woot) so some substitutions were in order. Froslass obviously needed replacement first.... I replaced it with Choice Glaceon to give my team some punch and have a trick absorber, I am still deciding between Specs and Scarf at this time though I am leaning towards Scarf... Still, Specs ability to occasionally 2HKOChansey which switch into it with Blizzard when SR + Tspikes are up or with 75% or less health is fantastic (it can do up to 41%)

Well, now i had the issue of lacking either variety of spikes due to the loss of Froslass and I REALLY wanted either spikes or tspikes up. Fortunately, Something existed which could neatly fit into my team without messing typing up TOO much. Farewell Claydol, hello Nidoqueen.

So this is V2.0 of my team. The only major flaw Ive noticed at this time is that Espeon can really hurt my team if Glaceon is eliminated and it out predicts Hitmontops Sucker Punch.
Now however, a new problem arose... i completely lacked a spin blocker and while glaceon was a trick absorber, they could simply come back and do it again later. Fortunately, there was a fairly simple non-pursuit weak solution to this in Spiritomb, whose bulk is well renown. Slap a Choice Band on him, and you have a trick absorber, trick user, spin blocker, pursuiter, and bulky poke all in one. So Spiritomb gained Glaceon's slot.

This leads me to v3.0, my rapid spin problems are now virtually non-existent barring poor playing while my weakness to Alakazam and trick users in general is patched up. My only issue now is sometimes lacking the power to kill off Clefable if i lose Hitmontop, so now i have to guard Hitmontop more carefully than before.

Up Close Inspection
-------------------------
Snover (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/10 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute

Snover is.... well.... Snover. Hes somewhat useless aside from his ability to setup hail, but tossing leech seed onto opponents and his priority move make him slightly more useful for my team. Protect and Substitute allow him to stall hail if he ever actually gets the chance. Really, i just use him to setup hail and if im not facing another weather team i just use him as death fodder later on.

Articuno @ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/216 Spd/42 SpA
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Toxic
- Substitute

Stallicuno is extremely annoying once it gets a substitute up, as it can stall out moves like fire blast or stone edge simply by spamming substitute. and can ruin CM/Cursers by slapping toxic on them. Ice Beam was chosen over Blizzard for its higher PP, though i have yet to enter a situation where i actually needed it. Its flying typing allows it to scare away grass types which threaten Milotic, giving it good synergy with the water dragon.... who covers the fire and steel type weaknesses of Articuno.

Spiritomb (M) @ Choice Band

EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Will-o-Wisp
- Trick

Spiritomb did a fine job at replacing Glaceon and gives me a fairly permanent solution to trick leads (though Uxie and Mesprit can usually get away with a little bit of health left due to lacking Band's power after a trick). I gave it Will-o-wisp over Sucker Punch because it gives it usefulness even after ridding itself of a choice item as a burner, and is often unexpected from something that was just choiced. Trick allows me to cripple pokes like Chansey and Registeel, who almost never see it coming... even IF they saw having a choice item already by tricking me. More than once i have mind gamed the opponent by tricking against Uxie while they retreat instead of pursuiting and crippling what equates to their bulky poke which replaces Uxie... a couple of times even Hitmontop, who becomes useless with a choice item preventing it from using foresight+rapid spin. All-in-all Spiritomb is a great poke, and an AWESOME replacement for Glaceon.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight

Hitmontop is great for this team, with Intimidate and Foresight spinning meaning it cannot really be prevented from removing stealth rock. Sucker Punch allows it to get the drop on faster pokes while close combat allows it to absolutely destroy Steel types ballsy enough to stay in on it. Its typing also gives it the resistance to rock type, which both Glaceon and Articuno sorely need.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/42 Spe/16 SpA
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Nidoqueen slid fairly easily into Claydol's old spot, and while it cant rapid spin.... it makes up for it in move coverage and its ability to lay SR and Tspikes. EVs and Nature are chosen to maximize bulkiness while not lowering Atk or SpA. Nidoqueen's EV's may seem odd, considering it has speed on a -speed nature.... but they help it outrun both Hitmontop and more importantly lanturn, meaning itll beat the latter to the OHKO and the former to more damage.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/10 Spe/48 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Resttalk Milotic is probably the most important member of my team, as without it a scarfed Blaziken could 6-0 my team with Fire Blast. Fortunately, it has plenty of bulk to make killing it tough and with Hail going around, it can utilize Blizzard to make even Grass types wary of switching into it. EVs are optimized for maximum all around tanking, Surf for STAB, Blizzard for weather abuse. 8 Speed EVs ensure Adamant Aggron is outspeed by my Milotic.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to read and (hopefully) rate my team! Be sure to point out any fixxable flaws you can see and don't be shy if you think you can improve upon it... just be sure to provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Lemme know what ya think!

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi,

This is a nice team. I really don't feel the need to use Claydol as a 2nd spinner. I would recommend running a Nidoqueen over it. Nidoqueen sets up Stealth Rock, but also gives you additional hazards in the form of Toxic Spikes, which are extremely useful for stalling, especially on a Hail Stall team. It also has the ability to abuse a perfect accuracy Blizzard under Hail, and still provides you defense against Fighting types. It's just a suggestion, as I think Toxic Spikes is a nice addition to your team.

It's a nice team other than that, well done.

U could use Galalie over Froslass... It has the same moves, and perhaps Explosion over Blizzard/Destiny Bond.

Also, with Ice Body it can Stall like Walrein can, while setting up Spikes.

Team updated to compensate for Froslass' banning to the BL tier. Froslass replaced with Choice Glaceon. Claydol replaced with Spikers Nidoqueen.

Well to me Toxic Spikes in UU is not a good idea IMO with all the Venusaur's and some Toxicroak's running around. Idkk maybe you can put some filler move or something. Also RP Aggron or the Sub+Magnet Rise set can cause some problems.
Full Rate later. (Stupid Homework :[)

Well to me Toxic Spikes in UU is not a good idea IMO with all the Venusaur's and some Toxicroak's running around. Idkk maybe you can put some filler move or something. Also RP Aggron or the Sub+Magnet Rise set can cause some problems.
Like Energeia said change toxic spikes as it will be useless in the long-run. I would highly recommend using roar over t-spikes seeing as your team is based on stall+ it would make a good scouter with its good bulk.

Venusaur cannot switch into any poke safely except Hitmontop (who will take a good chunk out of its health or accomplish its task of rapid spinning) because i have 5 ice attack users, three of em packing Blizzard. Toxicroak is maimed by Nidoqueen and Glaceon and also doesnt enjoy eating CC. Milotic is a semi-safe switch for to it if i dont use Blizzard. You have to note that, yes, poison types can switch in to absorb the tspikes.... but there isnt a single poison type that resists EQ+Blizzard and the most common ones are actually hit supereffectively by one of the two. Tspikes have proven VERY useful to me to break opposing stall, so i do not think i shall be removing them. Aggron cannot sub against Articuno, the primary poke it switches in against, because ice beam breaks subs. As for the RP aggron it is slightly more troublesome, but beaten by nidoqueen.

i dont see venasaur hurting this team in the slightest, however, if you loose milotic, bird pokemon, namely scarfed molters, will run over your team like it does not exist. 3 of your pokes can take out rock types easily in hail, and 2 of those 3 can dance with certain steel types. you might want to try hp electric instead of hp ground on glaceon. ironically, this team is walled by a rest talk milotic, which that hp electric can help out with.

hope my rate helps.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can see Alakazam giving this team a bit of trouble. Also, since you replaced Froslass, you no longer have a Spin blocker, which doesn't help a stall team at all. I don't really see the need in Glaceon, so to fix your Alakazam problem with a spin blocker, I suggest Spiritomb:

Spiritomb @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
-Trick
-Shadow Sneak
-Sucker Punch/Will-O-Wisp
-Pursuit

Spiritomb gives you a nice Trick absorber here, so stuff like TrickScarf Uxie and Rotom would do absolutely nothing but get Pursuited to death on the way out. It also patches up your Alakazam weakness.

I had actually considered that just recently shrang.... are you psychic? O.O. But yea im still play testing that... so far looks promising. Ive also used that spiritomb before, and i really like it, so i may end up replacing Glaceon.... though i sure will miss her occasional late game Blizzard sweeps.

Using my standard setup for UU i was completely trounced by this squad and utterly baffled with what move was coming next. A joy to battle against it was an eye opener into how weak my team actually is for hail stall teams.

I'd recommend putting a few speed EVs in Nidoqueen to outpace Lanturn. -Spd Nidoqueen has a speed stat of 169 while Lanturn is at 170. Just a few speed EVs makes the difference in getting off Nidoqueen's Earthquake before Lanturn's Surf or Rain Dance.

You can also take it further and add even more speed EVs to outpace important base 70s like Hitmontop or Cloyster. That way Nidoqueen can threaten Hitmontop if she switches in on his Close Combat, and she can potentially finish off a weakened Cloyster before it Surfs or Rapid Spins.

Thanks for the advice THB, i went ahead and tweaked the EVs to a few of the pokes... including Articuno, Nidoqueen, and Milotic.

I use a OU Ice team and often and normally do quite well with it.
I would replace your articuno with a stallrein personally. Im not to familier with the UU metagame, but very little in OU can do enough damage to stailrein to prevent his sub, and i would assume the same applies. once a sub is up, you have 32 turns of being unable to be hit unless a taunter or phazor switch in of coars.

if you make this switch i would also recomend you try dropping the milotic and bringing back glaceon with a choice scarf. when i look at your team the one thing I really notice is theres no real offensive attacker besides your spirit tomb, and having a poke firing off one of the strongest blizzard in the game at 100% accuracy isnt something to scoff at.

I think Jynx might be better than Glaceon since it gets Lovely Kiss (which causes a switch), Nasty Plot which can really make it work like a Ninetails (sleep + boost), and STAB Blizzard to give it the ultimate hit on foes. Focus Blast can be used to hit Dark, Steel, and other Ice types on the switch (and since Froslass is BL banned, it wont get a free switch). Plus Focus Blast hits Chansey hard after a Nasty Plot.

The only debate is Focus Sash or Life Orb. Focus Sash gaurantees you a Lovely Kiss, and can guarantee you a Nasty Plot if Sleep Clause is already active. Life Orb works to hit right off the bat, and can work if you want to use Substitute over Focus Blast to block status and boost up with Nasty Plot.

Remember Jynx has the 2nd strongest Blizzard in the Game (Arceus would but it is unable to get 252 Special Attack EVs...), and since it gets Nasty Plot, you may as well use it over Glaceon.

Jynx @ Focus Sash
252 Spe/248 SpA/8 HP *4 Switches into SR*
Timid

Lovely Kiss
Nasty Plot
Blizzard
Focus Blast

I'm no rtm expert and I rarely post, but quite a while ago i ran an effective (albiet very different) uu hail stall team. This team seems really good, however i noticed you complained about snover being cannon fodder. I tried running sub-seed snover but i never found it effective. If you want to try a snover that can actually hurt something try this:

snover @ choice band
252hp/252atk/4def
0spd ivs
brave nature (+ atk,-spd)
ice shard
woodhammer
ice punch/avalanche
filler move (sometimes toxic because no one expects it off of the choice band)

I ran the -speed nature and 0 speed ivs because i figured snover wouldn't be outspeeding much anyway, and so would be somewhat of a check to trick room teams, but you seem to be hitting a speed number, so this would be an easy change to make. This snover can actually damage something, unlike the subseed set, which i never felt worked at all on the frail and slow snover. This is just a suggestion if you wish to possibly get (a little) more out of snover, again, i'm no expert, and i wish your team the best of luck

Sorry about the double post, but i forgot to mention something. I would change nidoqueen's ability from posion point to rivalry, not to pick up the cheap rivalry boost, but because you may accidentally regular posion something you needed to toxic poison, either through t-spikes or articuno's toxic. Just a minor point; all together an extremely well built team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)