Are there any decent platformers for the PS3?

I've really been in the mood for a good platforming game. I own a PS3 and pretty much the only platformer I've heard of is LittleBigPlanet.

I'd also accept Wii suggestions provided that the game can be played with the Gamecube controller, or does not have waggle at all.

Infamous isn't exactly a platformer, but there are a lot of platforming aspects in it. Also, there's obviously Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii but I don't think you can play it with the Gamecube controller. I'm sure you could find things like Super Mario 64 on the Virtual Consol that you can play with a Gamecube controller as well.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Zelda is not a platformer. There are three Ratchet & Clank games on the system so try those. You can also try Uncharted or inFamous but neither are mascot platformers and platforming is secondary in both. The Wii has Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 is coming out if you're done the first. It also has Klonoa. Mirror's Edge is great too but again not a mascot platformer.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Zelda IS a platformer, though it's not something most will admit to. I just refuse to call it an Adventure game, as that really has no gameplay oriented meaning. Zelda is an odd platformer because you cannot jump, but you acquire a variety of tools to make up for that.

I also wouldn't say platforming is secondary in either Uncharted or inFamous. The platforming in Uncharted is top-notch, and while the shooting improves greatly in the sequel its still not the main focus. You can make a better case for inFamous being a third person shooter, but it's really just Sly Cooper with a makeover and a different combat system. In answer to the ops question, I'd highly recommend both games. Also, I haven't played God of War 3 yet, but if it's anything like the first two it should have some platforming in it as well.

I could go alot deeper into what makes a platformer, and the different kinds that have developed over the years if anyone is interested.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Naughty Dog is on record saying Uncharted is meant to be a shooter and that's what they set to make. And yes, I'd like to hear your definition of a platformer as mine has always been that of a game which focuses primarily on jumping from "platform" to "platform" to achieve your objective.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Naughty Dog is on record saying Uncharted is meant to be a shooter and that's what they set to make.
They also set out to make a platformer when they made the Jak and Daxter series. Instead they made a steaming pile of shit. So you don't always succeed with you what you set out to do. I'm still amazed that the people who made Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted had anything to do with J&D.

When platformers jumped to 3D, they took two very different routes. Crash Bandicoot was your more linear platformer where the emphasis was on the twitch reflexes associated with jumping from one platform to another. The first Sly Cooper game was the same, and Super Mario Galaxy follows this format. Indeed, most platforming games have this kind of gameplay in it, but...

As early as the 64 days, the emphasis of most platformer games shifted greatly from reflex to exploration based gameplay. Super Mario 64 introduced non linear worlds with objectives, things to collect, and old places that could be revisited once you have new abilities. Jumping stopped being a test of reflexes and became a puzzle. "I know roughly where I want to go, but how do I get there?". Now how much gameplay in Ocarina of Time works exactly the same way? There are platforms all over any given Zelda game. Link can even jump, you just don't have a jump button.

The genre was greatly expanded again by Prince of Persia; the Sands of Time. This introduced "real platforming", based far more off of climbing than jumping. Games like Tomb Raider Legends and Shadow of the Colossus would advance this further, and if there's an art to the Uncharted series its that its furthering this style of platforming quite well. The shooting just plain got in the way in Uncharted #1, but it was a fun distraction in the second. If you like platforming and want to play a game with good platforming in it, Uncharted is a good choice.

Firestorm

I agree with platforming being less about reflexes and more about being a puzzle in newer games. I disagree with most everything else you said. Every Action-Adventure game asks the question "I know roughly where I want to go, but how do I get there?". What defines a platformer for me is answering that question with "Jumping" and then following it up with "Where?".

The primary tool you use to solve puzzles in Zelda is not by jumping; it's the weapons you find in the dungeon you're in. There are platforms to be sure, but those aren't the primary focus of the game.

Uncharted does not have "good platforming". There are a few platforming segments, but most of the platforming segments in the game are merely a very well-executed illusion. Most of the time it just requires you to hold right or left as a line is passed to trigger a non-threatening event which ratchets up tension. I loved Uncharted 2, but if you look at it, the platforming isn't really what makes the game what it is and if you're looking for a game with great platforming mechanics, Uncharted 2 is not the choice you should be making.

Although you should be buying Uncharted 2 anyway if you don't own it yet.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
What is an action adventure game? What is an action game? A game with action? A puzzle game has action. In tetris, you have to think on your feet or the grid will start to fill up. If you don't have risk or reward, you're not playing a game. What's an adventure game? Again, adventure is defined as activity that is risky, dangerous, or exciting. Video gaming is by definition adventurous, but even then almost any game could be called an adventure game. Action and Adventure aren't genres. They are things that we say that games "feel" like, and when you can't seem to pinpoint a game's genre to everyone's satisfaction you just cop out and call it action adventure. Alot of people say that Zelda feels like an RPG too, but that's just not how taxonomy works.

You navigate a series of platforms in Zelda games, and you frequently use Jump and the Hookshot. That's enough for me to say that the game has Platforming elements to it, the question is does it break the Platforming mold in any way? It has a combat system where you attack people with swords and other things so is it a hack and slash? Well, almost every platformer has some sort of combat system that didn't involve jumping on enemies since the 64. Ratchet and Clank certainly steps into third person territory, but I don't believe Zelda has yet to break the mold (though I really want that to be the next step in the Zelda games, a more advanced combat system). People try to justify their calling it an RPG by saying that you collect things, but as I said before collecting things is practically a requirement of platformers these days. At the end of the day, Zelda is so much more than a platformer, it's so much more than a game. But as a stickler for taxonomy, it's a platformer through and through.

And I really don't understand what you're trying to say with Uncharted 2, unless you haven't played many real platformers. Uncharted 2 is a real platformer, I'd recommend Shadow of the Colossus or Sands of Time over it, but neither of those are PS3 games.

There are three Ratchet & Clank games on the system so try those.
I second this; I don't own a PS3, so I haven't played those (I think the middle one, Quest for Booty, was just a PSN download and wasn't to the scale of the other two), but I own the four Ratchet & Clank games on the PS2 and I absolutely love them. Get Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time (and QfB if it's still available for download); you will not be disappointed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)