I'm Bringing Cressy Back - an OU RMT featuring a very special duck

Hey everyone. I’ve been battling on Shoddy on and off for the past few weeks, and I have a team I’d like some help with. So, without further ado, let me present you with…

:heart::heart:Bringing Cressy:heart::heart:
Back

(Yeah!)*

Team Building Process

I wish I had some sort of cool background story about how I was inspired to make this team, but I don’t. What can I say, I’m just not an exciting guy. I can, however, tell you the story of how I went about designing it. Let’s begin at the beginning…

#1 – Salamence

“Salamence? I thought this team was built around Cresselia! It’s right there in the title, you idiot!” Yeah, well, OK…that title isn’t completely honest. To be fair though, “Bringing Salamence Back” just doesn’t sound cool. Nor does it make a lick of sense, seeing as our fat blue friend is already a staple of OU. Anyway, back to the point. I wanted a powerful setup sweeper that could rip through a team if given half a chance. Dragon Dance Salamence seemed a natural choice.

#2 – Cresselia

Ah, Cresselia. It might seem strange to give a levitating female duck control over the moon, but it sure is cool. What’s not cool is how Cresselia, a Pokemon hyped as an Uber during the early days of the Fourth Gen, has now fallen to relative obscurity in the Borderline tier. Knowing this, why did I pick her? Simple: I wanted a Pokemon that could lure in Scizors and Scarftars without fail and eliminate them, leaving Mence free to sweep. At first, I was going to go with a MysticGar and Magnezone combination to get rid of the pesky red mantis, but then I decided to try something new. Plus, Cressy looks like a regal lunar goddess, and Gengar looks like a pedophile. So there.

All jokes aside, you’re probably wondering how Cresselia manages to counter threats like Choice Band Scizor and Choice Scarf Tyranitar, the two very common Pokemon that were largely responsible for her fall from grace in the first place. Just wait and see…

#3 and #4 – Scizor and Jirachi

Despite the bone-crushing power of Cresselia’s Base 75 Special Attack, some daring opponents will occasionally try to set up on her. Dragon Dance Gyarados and Calm Mind Latias like to think that they can come in on Cress and start grabbing boosts for free. I couldn’t let this happen, so I needed Pokemon who could stop these popular setup sweepers in their tracks.

#5 – Vaporeon

As you’ll see later, my Cresselia doesn’t have Moonlight, and my DD Mence doesn’t have Roost. In fact, no members of my team have any means of recovery bar Leftovers. I clearly needed Wish support, but I was unsure which Wisher would be best for my team. Blissey was too Stall-ish, Togekiss wasn’t bulky enough, and Latias was a third Pursuit weakness. In the end, I settled on Vaporeon. She takes hits like a champ, and can heal herself with Water Absorb too.

#6 –
Swampert

Now I needed was a lead who could get Stealth Rock up consistently and handle threats like Tyranitar and Scizor if Cresselia failed. Swampert fit all these criteria.

Now it’s time for the fun stuff!​

Pokemon Sets

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Attack / 252 Defense
Moves: Earthquake, Ice Beam, Stealth Rock, RAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!!!

My MixPert starts the show running a pretty standard set. He usually gets up Stealth Rock, but if it doesn’t work out he can always switch back in later and use it again. I run Protect to scout for random Grass moves, gain free turns of Leftovers recovery, and waste the PP of moves like DynamicPunch. I’ve considered Roar for some potential pseudo-hazing, but I haven’t been owned by a Baton Pass team just yet, so I’ll let it go for now. Plus, there is no better feeling than Protecting on a predicted Explosion.

Edits: It makes me a lot more reliant on my not-so-great (read - terrible) prediction skills, but after two posters suggested it I gave Swampert Roar over Protect. Hopefully, it will help with my TormentTran weakness and embarrass a few BP teams.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Defense / 68 Special Defense
Moves: Surf, Wish, Protect, Hidden Power (Electric)

Specially based MixApe is a big threat to my team, KOing my Swampert, Salamence, and Scizor with Grass Knot, Hidden Power Ice, and Fire Blast respectively. Another big threat to my team is repeated entry hazard damage, since I have no Rapid Spinner. Well, luckily, both of those problems can be addressed with the same awesomely cute Pokemon – Vaporeon! I may sound like an infomercial host right now, but seriously, Vappy is great. She supports her teammates with Wish and can really do some damage to Gliscor and Heatran with those STAB Surfs. I was considering running Yawn on her, but Toxic got the go-ahead because my team really doesn’t have much to gain from forcing switches.

Edits: Previously, Vaporeon had Toxic in place of Hidden Power Electric. But after both ginganinja and azntrumpet pointed out my weakness to Taunt Gyarados (and DD Gyarados if my Cresselia is gone), I decided to pack HP Electric to surprise that big bully. Plus, now I can actually do something to Poliwrath and offensive Suicine.

Moar Edits: Finally found the typo azntrumpet pointed out, and put the Speed EVs in Special Defense to better help against MixApe.

Scizor
@ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 Speed
Moves: Bullet Punch, Superpower, U-Turn, Pursuit

Is there anything I can say about this thing that hasn’t already been said? Scizor is a beast, both competitively and aesthetically. I’m running the standard EV set with him here, which is actually new to me. In most of my previous teams, I ran 32 Speed to beat other Scizors if the match came down to a Bullet Punch war. But since the whole point of this team is to eliminate Scizor before the end of the match, I decided it wasn’t worth it.

Unless I am presented with a really golden opportunity, I usually scout with U-Turn early in the match to rack up some damage and avoid being trapped by Magnezone. Bullet Punch and Pursuit let me play mind games with any Latias, Gengar, or Celebi that switch in on Cresselia and try to KO or status her. I imagine Superpower would help me against Cursing Snorlax who try to set up on Cress, although I have yet to see one of these. When all is said and done, Scizor is just a great all-around partner for Cresselia. He resists all her weaknesses, destroys Tyranitar and Salamence, and can help lure Ground and Fighting moves for her to switch in and absorb.

Jirachi
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Moves: Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Iron Head, Trick

Edits: Well, I don't know...how about the entire freakin' Pokemon? Rotom wasn't pulling his weight, so I replaced him with a Choice Scarf Jirachi...or as I like to call him, Sir Hax-a-Lot. Thing is, this particular Jirachi won't be haxing anyone that much, thanks to the absence of Iron Head. With my bulky MixPert and a Cresselia set designed specifically to lure out and kill Tyranitar, I didn't feel like I needed such a hard counter for everyone's (least) favorite T-rex. I'll list the other moves I chose, in case you can't read them in that annoying yellow font: Ice Punch is there to eliminate Salamence and Flygon, Thunder Punch deals with Gyarados, and Fire Punch helps me not be complete bait for Magnezone and (to a lesser extent) Scizor. I threw on U-Turn too to help with scouting.

With her better coverage, nice resistances, and lack of a Pursuit weakness, Jirachi is just a better choice than Rotom-C. You're probably all going to all roll your eyes at this, but please believe me - originally, Jirachi was slated to be in Rotom's spot, but I felt like that made me weak to Swampert. But then I realized something...I have a Cresselia with Grass Knot! What the heck was I smoking?*

*Was I smoking a Grass Knot? :pimp:

Moar Edits: After giving Vappy Hidden Power Electric, Thunder Punch seemed like a waste of Jirachi's precious moveslots. As Twist of Fate pointed out, Iron Head's STAB and illegally high Flinch rate are too good to pass up, even if I don't care about Tyranitar. Not satisfied with one excellent idea, Twist also suggested putting Trick in place of U-Turn in order to cripple Crocune and TormentTrans who try to switch in on me.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Special Attack
Moves: Reflect, Grass Knot, Hidden Power (Fire), Toxic

Finally, here's the star of the show! With her incredible bulk and Ground immunity, Cresselia is surprisingly easy to switch in. I like to send her in on something that can’t do a lot of damage to her. Anyway, once she’s in, most people will immediately bring in their Scizor or Tyranitar if they have one. Expecting this, I’ll always use Reflect on my first turn in. Then I start spamming Hidden Power Fire or Grass Knot, depending on what comes in.

Well, not exactly “spamming”. Scarftars will always be 2HKOd by this girl's Grass Knot, and Scizor has a very good chance of being OHKOd with Rocks up. By my count, I’ve beaten two Scizors and one Tyranitar so far using this method. People just don’t understand how beastly Cressy is behind a Reflect. The last move (Toxic) is a big surprise to anything not Steel or Poison. It’s a bit situational, but it has its uses, particularly when the opposing team doesn’t have a cleric.

Edits: If I'm going to rely on Cresselia to counter Swampert (see my new entry for Jirachi) and be more than an unorthodox Scizor/Tyranitar lure, I've got to have some means of recovery. Tyranitar's sandstorm annoyingly cuts said recovery down to a dismal 33%, but considering Cresselia's awesome defenses, I'll still be able to heal up from a lot of unboosted neutral attacks - especially since my Defense has now been elevated to new heights by the awesome power of four extra EVs! (cue Super Saiyan sound effect from Dragon Ball Z) Seriously though, every little bit helps. Kudos to azntrumpet for pointing out my mistake.

Moar Edits: Call me a flip-flopper, but I ended up changing Moonlight back to Toxic. In a metagame where Tyranitar is on over 20% of teams, using a recovery move whose power gets cut in half in Sandstorm is asking for trouble. I'll have to rely on Vaporeon for Wish Support.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Naïve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Moves: Dragon Claw, Dragon Dance, Flamethrower, Earthquake

Dragon Dance Salamence is one of the most threatening setup sweepers in the game today. Those three moves give him perfect coverage backed by sky high attacking stats on both ends of the spectrum. Those EVs assure that Fire Blast will 2HKO 252/0 Impish Skarmory, which is definitely nice. I chose Naïve over Naughty in order to tie with Scarfed Revenge killers like Jirachi, who I hate with the burning passion of a thousand beached whales...when he's not on my own team, that is. Swampert threatens to stop my sweep (as I don’t have a chance of OHKOing him without a Naughty Nature) but hopefully I have Rotom-C and Cresselia waiting in the wings to KO him with their respective Grass moves.

Edits: Mence kept dying from Life Orb recoil, missing with Fire Blast, and getting owned by Steels when he was locked onto Outrage. At the suggestion of Skull Candy, I gave him Leftovers instead of Life Orb and maxed out his attack. His Flamethrower actually still 2HKOs Special Defensive Skarmory (57-67%) and will roast any Scizor that get past Cress. Dragon Claw is less powerful than Outrage (especially now that I don't have Life Orb) but it's nice to not have to enter a rage attack just to kill, say, a Rotom with 20% health. Swampert will stop my sweep cold now, but Cress and Vaporeon both deal with him.

Conclusion

From my experience reading RMTs, this is usually the part where I’m supposed to talk about the accomplishments I’ve had with this team. Mine are decidedly modest – I’ve won all the matches I’ve played with these guys, but I’ve only had them for seven matches! Therefore, the reason I wrote this RMT is probably a little different than most. I’m not trying to show off my skills, but to get help with some problems I’ve been having.

#1 – Living Up to My Own Mission Statement.
While this team is winning, I feel as if it’s not doing so in the polished, strategic way I intended. Sometimes, Cresselia eliminates Scizor and Mence can safely set up a Dragon Dance. But all too often, I feel like I’ve lost control of the situation. I win by hax or dumb luck, with one of my Pokemon managing to get in a random sweep. What changes could help me better fulfill my mission statement?

#2 – Status. I find myself getting Statused left and right while using this team, particularly if Swampert is gone and I have nothing to absorb Paralysis. Is there any spot on the team that could accommodate a cleric?

#3 – TormentTran. I’ve faced him twice, and both time’s he’s been a royal pain. Any suggestions?

#4 - Not getting pictures to work. I had a bunch of sweet sprite pictures for my team building section, and now you guys won't get tol see them because they didn't go through when I copied them in. No, instead they appeared as random links that revealed my freakin' first name to the entire online world! LOL, it's a good thing none of you are pedophiles like Gengar... :naughty:

#5 - Machamp. After taking Protect off Swampert and replacing Rotom with Jirachi, I worry about how I'll deal with Machamps, particularly lead ones that like to spam Dynamicpunch all over the place. Everyone on my team really hates being Confused, and I'm confused about what I can do to stop this big hunk of muscle. Thoughts?

I’m welcome to any and all criticism, but please remember that I really do want to try and keep Cresselia on the team, and in her current role as a Scizor/Tyranitar lure.

Thanks for reading! I'll try and make an actual Threat List after a few more battles.

*At the advice of my lawyer, I have never, ever heard of a song called SexyBack.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I love the way this RMT is structured, its always nice to help someone that takes pride in presenting their RMT. I can see Gliscor and Taunt Gyarados being a large issue for the team as both Taunt Vaporeon and Cressilia and then laugh at their frail attacks. Gliscor cannot set up like Gyarados can however its U-tunrs will take large chunks out of Cressilias HP.

I think that a Scarf Jirachi can benfit over Scarf Rotom because it can revenge kill gyarados that have DD'ed. Also it does not have a pursuit weakness. THis is important as if your opponinet trys to have gyarados set up early in the match, you are forced to bring Rotom out early. Scarf Tar comes in and boom, your revenge killer is dead and Gyarados can set up again and you will have less of an answer to it. I also suggest Roar in swampert. It is not limited to stopping baton passers but it helps againt pokemon stat uppers. Swampert can also roar out Torment Tran (unless its the last poke) which is a problems for the team.

If you are still worried abnout Torment Tran then offensive Suicune can be used over vaporeon however you lose the wish support.

Have a Nice Day!

I'm really not all too convinced that your team isn't vulnerable to the DD Gyrados and CM Latias you've mentioned. You have no safety net should your counter to either one of them goes down, which is pretty plausible as many teams will run Magnezone with CM Lati or some Pursuiter with Gyrados.

You mention that Scizor is not vulnerable to Magnezone due to its ability to U-Turn out. However, smart Magnezone players will not bring Zone in until they know Scizor is locked into something else (either via revenge or by scouting and taking a hit) for fear of both U-Turn and Superpower. Once Scizor goes down, CM/Sub/Recover/DP variants cut through this team like butter. Similarly if Tyranitar, Scizor, or Weavile catch Rotom in a vulnerable position (Thunderbolt or Trick for Tyranitar, Leaf Storm for Scizor, Shadow Ball for all of the above), you can kiss your main Taunt Gyrados counter goodbye. Heck, Waterfall on the switch will hurt too. Even if they don't take out Cresselia, it will be severely wounded and becomes dead weight should it survive, due to lack of recovery. That said, I would seriously consider recovery for Cress or HP Electric on Vap, because Toxic seems a little redundant and you lack a reliable way to deal with Gyrados.

Roar over Protect would help your TormentTran problems and any BP teams that you might run into, just play carefully with things like LO Heatran so as to avoid Grass moves. In regards to status, just play conservatively with Swampert and Scizor to take Thunder Wave and Toxic when the time comes. You could also run a RestTalk set on Rotom with Will-o-Wisp (which Machamp, TTar, and Swampert hate) and Thunderbolt (to deal with the other threats on your list).

Not sure what the Speed EV's are for on Cress, and some of those Sp. Att EV's might be better served in defense.

Oh, and they're probably typos but, Salamence should probably have Earthquake over one of the Outrages and you need to reword your sentence regarding MixApe on Vap.

Well I love the way this RMT is structured, its always nice to help someone that takes pride in presenting their RMT. I can see Gliscor and Taunt Gyarados being a large issue for the team as both Taunt Vaporeon and Cressilia and then laugh at their frail attacks. Gliscor cannot set up like Gyarados can however its U-tunrs will take large chunks out of Cressilias HP.

I think that a Scarf Jirachi can benfit over Scarf Rotom because it can revenge kill gyarados that have DD'ed. Also it does not have a pursuit weakness. THis is important as if your opponinet trys to have gyarados set up early in the match, you are forced to bring Rotom out early. Scarf Tar comes in and boom, your revenge killer is dead and Gyarados can set up again and you will have less of an answer to it. I also suggest Roar in swampert. It is not limited to stopping baton passers but it helps againt pokemon stat uppers. Swampert can also roar out Torment Tran (unless its the last poke) which is a problems for the team.

If you are still worried abnout Torment Tran then offensive Suicune can be used over vaporeon however you lose the wish support.

Have a Nice Day!
Thanks for the rate! Actually, I was originally going to place a Physical Choice Scarf Jirachi in place of Rotom, but I wanted a Pokemon that could consistently handle Latias, so I was going to partner her with Scizor. I was a bit leery about having two Choiced Steel Pokemon on one team, but now I see how the absence of Jirachi leaves me open to a lot of threats. I'll swap Rotom out for her and see how it goes.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong on the Damage Calculator, but according to the calculations I'm getting, Pure Physical Attacker Gliscor only does 30-36% to Cressy with U-Turn, and that's without a Reflect up. Also, Gliscor doesn't exactly laugh at Vaporeon's attacks. Surf from my Vaporeon does 80-93% damage to 252/40/0 Standard Defensive Gliscor. I see Taunt Gyarados as being a much bigger issue. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll put HP Electric on my Vaporeon to surprise him.

Roar over Protect would help your TormentTran problems and any BP teams that you might run into, just play carefully with things like LO Heatran so as to avoid Grass moves. In regards to status, just play conservatively with Swampert and Scizor to take Thunder Wave and Toxic when the time comes. You could also run a RestTalk set on Rotom with Will-o-Wisp (which Machamp, TTar, and Swampert hate) and Thunderbolt (to deal with the other threats on your list).

Not sure what the Speed EV's are for on Cress, and some of those Sp. Att EV's might be better served in defense.

Oh, and they're probably typos but, Salamence should probably have Earthquake over one of the Outrages and you need to reword your sentence regarding MixApe on Vap.
Oh, I see you haven't yet faced the raw fury of Dual-Wielding Outrage Salamence!!!! :) Haha yeah that's a typo, my bad.

The Speed EVs? What, all four of them? I'll put them in the Defenses, but IDK if it will really matter that much. I maxed out Special Attack so that Cress could 2HKO Scarf Tyranitar 100% of the time with Grass Knot and at least have a chance of OHKOing Scizor with HP Fire after Stealth Rock. I could take some of them out and still 2HKO Scarftar, but the more I remove the less likely it is I'll kill Scizor...hmmm this one's a toughie. I'll think about it.

Since both you and the previous poster recommended it, I'll try Roar over Protect on Swampert and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the help!

For a pokemon set designed to draw in tyranitar, it seems ironic to use a move that reduces in power due to Tryranitar's presence. The other problem with cresselia, is that while she can be tailored to counter any pokemon in the metagame, she is often restricted to killing just that poke, and that is same with your set.

Also the team doesn't really help salamence sweep, I mean cresselia draws in scizor and OHKO's it, but thats it. Scarf tyranitar isn't a threat cus salamence outspeeds it and OHKO's with earthquake.

But how to optimize Salamence's chances of sweeping?
Perhaps you could try an Infernape lead with Grass Knot, which means opposing Swamperts won't stop Mence's sweep.

Ah, I'll have to rephrase that sentence. What I meant to say was "Cresselia draws in Scizor and kills it to help Salamence sweep, and it also draws in and kills ScarfTar."

I'm sad that you don't think Cresselia helps my team enough...what if I replaced my ScarfRachi or Scizor with a boosting Latias or Charge Beam Rotom? Cresselia could lure in Tyranitar that are a threat to them and Scizor that are a threat to Salamence, leaving either free to sweep.

Also, if you look at my edits, you'll see I originally had Toxic over Moonlight. Are you saying I should change it back, or try something else entirely?

Edit: @broodjekebab - Infernape might be a good counter to Swampert, but most players are just going to switch Swampert out when they see him. I prefer Swampert as a lead, since he better fits with the bulky feel of this team and can handle Scizor and Tyranitar. Ape is really fragile, and I just don't think I have the prediction skills to keep him alive.

Yea Latias and rotom would make real use of your cresselia set. I like the sound of charge beam rotom, but I've never used it. Cresselia herself could make use of charge beam, if you wanted to make it a tank.

I did know toxic was there originally. I always used a restalker personally, but recovery is more important than toxic. So I would say there is no need to change moonlight.

It's a shame to see cresselia in BL, previously in UU, because it has some monstrous defence. It's actually the only pokemon banned from UU because it has too much defence. Believe it or not, but at the start of D/P people were pressing for it to be uber. Now it's tucked away in "never used" BL tier.

But perhaps a more useful cresselia set is this one I just heard about:
Cresselia @ flame orb
252 hp/252 defence/4 sp.def
Bold
- Physcho shift
- Rest
- Sleep talk
- (whatever suits your team)

Don't dismiss it yet.

Pro's:
First off, as I'm sure your inteligant enough to notice there is the physcho shift burn stratergy, that destroys scizor and tyranitar. Rest heals you up and cresselias amasing bulk means she doesn't mind the lack of leftovers. BUT HERE IS THE BEST PART, PHYSCHO SHIFT WHEN SLEEPING WILL TRANSFER SLEEP TO THE OPONENT! and it's the normal 2-4 turns of sleep! and then it wakes you up. Absolutely genius! needs wish support, but will burn tyranitar's, scizors and put others to sleep.

Problems:
- Once cress is burned some people will assume phscho shift
- Not very good for stall, better for offence

The main thing is phsycho shifting sleep, I have not tried this set, and I didn't make it, so I won't take the credit for it, or the blame lol. But it looks awesome and still takes out scizor and tyrantar as burn quaters your attack and makes you take damage. Phsycho shift doesn't work on fire types, but it doesn't acitvate flash fire either. I would suggest physchic in the spar slot, as it scares of gengar and infernape, and does something to heatran. While dark types can be phsycho shifted so need to worry about pursuit.

Wow. I'm honestly really impressed with that set. However in the last spot, I'd have to say HP fighting. That way Cress has at least some remote way of dealing with the pokemon it was originally meant to: Ttar and Scizor. The move smashes up Ttar and does neutral damage to scizor, not to mention Heatran. That's my suggestion. Take it or leave it.

Few problems with this team. As someone previously mentioned, you have an issue with DD Gyarados once Cresselia is gone. Moonlight doesn't cut it as a solid recovery move because of the abundance of Sandstorm, so Cresselia will most likely die faster than you believe. Please add HP Electric back to Vaporeon to cover this. Suicune will beat Vaporeon anyway if its the Crocune variant, and if its an offensive variant even HP Electric Vaporeon fares well.

As for the Crocune issue, just add Trick over U-Turn on Jirachi. It also helps screw over TormentTrans thinking they can come in for free, neutering that strategy as well. Since I requested you add HP Electric on Vaporeon, remove Thunderpunch on Jirachi for Iron Head. The 60% flinch chance is too good to give up with that base 100 speed + a Choice Scarf.

Since you're hell-bent on using Cresselia, I agree with running some form of a support set for your team. Sure you have the element of surprise with HP Fire for Scizor, but Tyranitar will almost always win, as it never switches into Cresselia because of the fear of a status-move. I think Cresselia should be replaced personally, but I'll wait to hear back on your opinion.

@3v3rnoob: Grass Knot already handles Tyranitar pretty well. With the EVs I've given Cress, it's always a 2HKO on Scarfed variants. Believe it or not, Hidden Power Fighting does not get a OHKO on Tyranitar, even if its running a Jolly nature with no EVs in its HP or Special Defense, and even if Stealth Rock is up. It also only does 20-23% on Scizor. Cresselia's Special Attack is just that underwhelming.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is this:

Grass Knot + HP Fire = guaranteed 2HKO on T-tar, likely OHKO on Scizor
Grass Knot + HP Fighting = guaranteed 2HKO on T-Tar, 5HKO on Scizor :(

I think I'll stick with HP Fire. Hitting Heatran would be nice, but again, I'm doing pretty pathetic damage. I'd get 45% max on the Choice Scarf set, while he'll outspeed me and 3HKO with Fire Blast.

@Twist of Fate: Thanks for the rate! What you say about DD Gyarados makes sense, so I'll put HP Electric back on Vappy. With that accomplished, Thunderpunch does seem like a big waste on Jirachi when she's got so many other options, so I'll switch it out for Iron Head. And oh yes, Crocune! Why didn't I mention her in my list of problems? Yeah, she's a giant witch with a capital B as far as my team's concerned. Trick on Jirachi will definitely be handy for getting rid of that problem.

I've actually had a Tyranitar or two switch in on my Cresselia, but maybe that's because I'm just not very high on the ladder :pirate: I really think Cresselia already "supports" my team just by luring Scizor in, setting up Reflect, etc. If you think Moonlight's a waste, maybe I could replace it with another support move? I had Toxic on there originally, but I'm wondering if Thunder Wave might be better.

Edit: Also just to make things clear, I'm not "hell-bent" on using Cresselia in the sense that I would never, ever use anything else. I just haven't been able to find anything that can copy the set she's running and do it better.

You might have some problems with Gengar. Especially MYSTICgar which is getting more popular. Jirachi is really the only counter, but really? Who switches Gengar into a Jirachi who will Iron Head his ass off? Cresselia can lure it in and KO it with psychic. Cresselia can also survive a Shadow ball, so don't worry if your predicting skills are not the best. Seeing that Cresselia is running a more offensive set, it will also appreciate a nice STAB attack. You could scratch moonlight for psychic, Vaporeon can pass some wishes to it instead.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes I agree with ToF, Thunder Wave or Toxic are more usefull than Moonlight with all the scarf Tar running around, Besides Vaporeon can always pass wish's to it if needed. As for which support move to use its purely a personally decision as you cover ground types anyway if you go with Thunderwave while Stells also have issues with Swampert and HP Fire. Personally I would like Toxic as it suits your teams 'bulky' feel authough Thunder Wave could be used as many offensive teasm hate paralysis.

@ginganija: Thanks for the suggestion. Toxic is back on Cresselia after a lengthy bit of hemming and hawing. I was originally going to go for Thunder Wave, but decided Toxic would be better since two of the biggest threats to my team (Suicine and Machamp) don't really care about speed.

@haxer: I always thought MysticGar was more of a lure to beat Scizor and Tyranitar so Salamence could set up a DD Sweep...at least, that's how I've always seen it used. If a Gengar came in on Cresselia or something, I'd probably switch to Scizor and start Bullet Punching. If the Gengar uses protect, I know it's a MysticGar, so I'll probably switch to either Swampert or Salamence to Earthquake the incoming Magnezone. If my Scizor gets trapped and dies, I have Scarf Jirachi to handle a +1 Salamence. He's Max Speed, so I think that should get the job done.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey McLuvdisc, nice team by the way, and I love Cresselia so props for including her!

Anyway onto the rate;

68 speed ev's is quite outdated on Vaporeon, as it can't really do much to Specially Defensive Skarm (pretty much most skarms this day. I recommend to put them in to sp.def to help against special mix ape.

Also the 24 sp.atk ev's are a bit pointless because sp.def skarm pretty much always survives. Also you mentioned yourself that you don't have that much durability with Mence so I reckon you should run the leftovers dd mence with; Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Earthquake and Dragon Dance. Evs are standard sweeper 252 atk 252 speed 4 hp. This helps against any scizor that get past Cressi becuase scizor can never OHKO Mence after stealth rock if you have lefties. Outrage can be used over flamethrower to hit stuff like Swampert harder. But you do lose the ability to harm skarmory. Anyway nice team over all! :)

Thanks a lot, SkullCandy. I have actually been having a ton of trouble with Skarmory, and Mence has been dying a lot due to Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock, even if I have managed to eliminate Scizor. The spread you suggested sounds good.

Edit: LOL, I saw this RMT get mentioned when I was on Shoddy the other day! :happybrain: Whoda thunk it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)