Dual Bulky Dragons (An RMT using unorthodox Salamence/Dragonite sets)

Salamence and Dragonite
The Stars of the team.

While scrolling through the sets of Salamence a few days ago, i did a double take upon seeing one with Wish in its moveset. This moveset, Fatmence, was the inspiration of my team.... in which i use Salamence as a team player to lure out and eliminate counters for Dragonite, who can eventually sweep with +6 Atk and Spd due to his bulk, reliable recovery, and ability to rid himself (and the team) of troublesome status... Other members of the team primarily cover my two dragon, rock, and 4x ice weaknesses so that i am not too easily swept and eliminate key steel types which stand in the way of a Dragonite sweep.

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 242 HP/252 Def/16 SAtk
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Essentially a standard lead mixpert. Also makes FANTASTIC trickrachi bait for my Magnezone, allowing me to rid my team of an extreme annoyance right off the bat. Also good in that it will survive a +1 Outrage from Salamence then strike back for the OHKO.... very useful. To be honest though, he doesnt see too much action unless Ttar and/or DDmence enters the field... serving really just as a counter to BP teams besides that.

Starmie @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 242 HP/56 Def/216 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Seeing as i have two ice weak flying types Starmie was a natural choice for a Rapid Spinner. 216 Speed allows it to outspeed quite a lot, most importantly positively natured max speed Infernape, who otherwise sweeps my team after Magnezone dies. I prefer the extra HP for all around bulkiness rather than being especially physically defensive, so i went for the highest possible leftovers number + 1. Surf + Tbolt provide good coverage + Stab, making it a little bit less of a pursuit bait for Ttar if i hit it with Surf on the switch.

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP/214 Def/80 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower/Earthquake
- Roost
- Wish

Wait what the f*ck is this set? No Atk/SpA EVs? Salamence learns wish??? What is this madness!?!? No people, your not having a vision problem.... nor am I retarded at making Pokemon sets (i hope). This is Fatmence, a rarely seen but actually quite viable set who is almost always overshadowed by his more offensive sets. Salamence's ability to force switches with his Draco Meteor give me plenty of chances to setup a Wish pass, and Roost keeps him personally healthy. He also serves as a nice counter to fighting types in general.... For example, Spore Puncher Breloom deals a maximum of 47% with its Stone Edge after intimidate..... which means that, since it is slower, Salamence can switch in on the Substitute and dispatch him with Flamethrower. Also, completely counters Adamant Lucario assuming it switches into Swords Dance as a +1 Extremespeed does a measly 48% maximum.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP/44 Spe/218 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Whereas Salamence is a physically bulky team player with high powered instant damage, Dragonite is more like a slowly accelerating train. It may not seem like much at first, but after it gets going its nearly impossible to stop. Its high Special Defense means that bulky waters cannot come close to OHKOing it with Ice Beam, turning many pokes which normally counter and/or cripple it (Blissey, Vaporeon, Crocune, Swampert) into setup bait. To show its bulk, a +6 Crocune surf does only a paltry 42% maximum, meaning Crocune will NEVER beat this set if Dragonite is kept healthy, even with a critical hit. 44 Speed EVs allow it to hit a speed of 311 after a Dragon Dance, outspeeding several notable threats and allowing it to roost on Ice Beams much better as it will outspeed most common users. Inner Focus is actually incredibly useful, allowing me to beat Togekiss quite easily... who would otherwise be extremely annoying due to neverending Flinchax. With Inner Focus however, only full paralysis can prevent Dragonite from making his move.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/56 Atk/206 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Bulky Choice Band Scizor is a beast. It is my primary solution to Gengar, Starmie, and the like.... being able to survive two hits from any of them. (Starmie must use Ice Beam then Hydro pump, as two Hydro Pumps can KO... while Gengar cant kill Scizor without HP fire if at full health). U-Turn is great for its excellent scouting ability while Superpower and Bullet Punch allows me to deal with setup pokes. Pursuit is the magic of this bulky spread, allowing elimination of key ghost and psychic types as noted above.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 20 Atk/238 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Explosion

Magnezone is a key player for this team.... prevent Trickrachi leads from owning Swampert while elimination key counters for an eventual Dragonite sweep such as Scizor and Jirachi.... and most steel types in general. Since Magnezone's purpose is extremely focused towards steel type elimination... especially Skarmory, Forretress, and Scizor, i gave it HP Fire for its task. Of Course, HP Ground is a choice too if i wish to eliminate Heatran.... though he is not too threatening to Dragonite without Explosion, dealing 61% max with HP Ice.

Use HP fire on Magnezone for trap and kill Scizor and Jirachi. For Starmie, use Ice Beam over Recover, this allows you to kill others Dragon Types. Dragonite is good, and use Earthquake instead of Flamethrower on Salamence. Choice Band Scizor NEEDS 252 Attack EV's, or some OHKOs will fail. Well, this is a good team, but, i agree with you in the terrible 4x Ice Weakness, Mamoswine and Choice Band Weavile's Ice Shards both finish off your Weakened Dragons, and i think that an Offensive Dragonite fits better in this team.

using offensive dragonite would defeat the purpose of this team. I'm willing to change the other pokes, but Mence and Dnite must remain as is. That being said, i think I'll take your suggestion regarding EQ over flamethrower... Should I make him naive for the extra powet or timid for bulkiness? Also, Scizor is more used for scouting and pursuit trapping than raw power.. Hence the bulky spread. Despite many battles, I haven't encountered mamoswine and have only seen weavile like... Twice. Both time Scizor was able to turn Weavile into a liability. I primarily use HP Fire on Magnezone, I was simply statung I have experimented with HP Ground. All in all, Dnites ice weakness is rarely a liability due to his ridiculous bulk, if you do the calcs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)