Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer

Yeah, 376 might be something to shoot for. I'd probably need to boot Kyogre out of my party though for the sake of Groudon >.> Too bad I have Heart Gold... blah.

What is this Heatran, Neutral Speed, 252 EVs, +1? I wasn't aware Heatran had any +1 Speed abilities, and off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who would be Baton Passing a +1 to him...
Problem with outspeed +1 Kingdra in sun is that hardly anyone would use Kingdra, especially on wifi. Barring Theorymon or some crazy noob, you probably won't see it. I'd aim for beating the 110s, which is 176 naive I think. Place the remaining evs in attack, and attempt to run a mixed set with sucker punch. Scarftran is 417 speed.

Problem with outspeed +1 Kingdra in sun is that hardly anyone would use Kingdra, especially on wifi. Barring Theorymon or some crazy noob, you probably won't see it. I'd aim for beating the 110s, which is 176 naive I think. Place the remaining evs in attack, and attempt to run a mixed set with sucker punch. Scarftran is 417 speed.
Can't, already got the Rai and it's like this:

Timid
HP: 30
Attack: 20-21
Defense: 30
Sp. Atk: 31
Sp. Def: 28
Speed: 29

Thanks for your input guys. I did some calculations and found out that no amount of minor EV tweaking will save his life from any real threats, so I'll just stick to my 252 Speed EVs. He's already trained that way anyway.

Yes! Finally an Ubers Q/A thread so i don't have to 'spam' the main simple question/simple answer thread! So, my question is, is it a joke, or is quagsire an effective kyogre counter(and overall good in ubers)? I'm coming up with a TR strategy and i think it would also work well with kyogre on my side.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes! Finally an Ubers Q/A thread so i don't have to 'spam' the main simple question/simple answer thread! So, my question is, is it a joke, or is quagsire an effective kyogre counter(and overall good in ubers)? I'm coming up with a TR strategy and i think it would also work well with kyogre on my side.
Well sort of, it works as an excellent check to Kyogre, but it cant really do that much back, and if the enemy doesn't have a kyogre its really a wasted space. Hope it helped.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks, so I should fire quagsire then? Because he's fainting on a regular basis...
I cant tell you "omg use pokemon x its better then pokemon y" But i can say from experience that while quagsire can check Kyogre pretty well, its useless otherwise. If you think that warrants it being taken off your team, then go ahead.

Ahh ok. You know, most of my uber team
is NU, and one is NFE! That's because it's just more fun that way- so since i like quagsire i am going to put it in my uber team and fire that pointless slaking(i've already got regigigas). Thanks again!

Are Pokemon like Jynx, Glaceon, Azelf, Raikou, Suicune or even Gallade and Gardevoir outclassed in Ubers? What makes a non-Uber viable in Uber play?

Are Pokemon like Jynx, Glaceon, Azelf, Raikou, Suicune or even Gallade and Gardevoir outclassed in Ubers? What makes a non-Uber viable in Uber play?
For the most part no. Raikou was tested in Project Uber and was found to be ineffective I believe. Azelf can be used too, but when you use Azelf you are pretty much telegraphing your next few moves (Set up screens and explode) since he is outclassed by Mewtwo in almost every other regard than the stronger boomy attack.

What makes a non-uber pokemon viable is filling a vital niche that none of the ubers occupy. I say vital because things like Cradily have a certain use, but nobody needs a sandstaller on their Ubers team, at least not one like Cradily. While Scizor and Forry have very valuable resistances and fill unique roles (scout and spiker respectively).

Lastly there are weather abusers and counter pokemon. Ludicolo, Shiftry and the like are the former example and they are viable because of the boosts thier respective weather provides. Counter pokemon are the quagsires and primeapes who's viability is debatable but that's better than being totally unviable or outclassed.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most of them are. I mean, stuff like Jynx for the most part outclassed by Darkrai, Azelf by Mewtwo, Suicune by Kyogre and Gardevoir by Mewtwo. Glaceon is just bad anyway, even if you can get Hail up, most Ubers would just OHKO it or just take its attacks and 2HKO at worst. With a Scarf, it reaches 376 Speed, which doesn't even outspeed Darkrai. Gallade is usable as a lead, I guess.

If I use DS+Memento Uxie in Ubers, would the remaining slot be suited to a supportive or an attacking move? Stealth Rock can help, but should I just let Dialga do that to prevent me from beeing a complete set-up fodder for everything?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would suggest U-Turn, since Uxie doesn't always have to undergo apoptosis (ie Commit suicide) so a team member can switch-in, particularly when screens are up already anyway.

Latias

I've been checking Smogon tiers daily for the past week and I'm noticing several pokemon being moved from BL to UU and back. I paid no mind to it, but I was very irked to find Latias now banned from OU play, labeled as an uber, when it feels like just yesterday it was in the OU tier. I have no idea if I'm placing this in the right topic, so can someone please point me towards the explanation of why Latias (sans Soul Dew) is banned? I've been searching the threads and found nothing.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been checking Smogon tiers daily for the past week and I'm noticing several pokemon being moved from BL to UU and back. I paid no mind to it, but I was very irked to find Latias now banned from OU play, labeled as an uber, when it feels like just yesterday it was in the OU tier. I have no idea if I'm placing this in the right topic, so can someone please point me towards the explanation of why Latias (sans Soul Dew) is banned? I've been searching the threads and found nothing.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72049

Yes to all. Gallade can be used to set up TR but it's rather gimmicky. Uber tier is plagued with strong special attacks, most of them being Dragon and Ice type. Based on this is not surprising to see Steels heavily EVed in Sp.Def like bulky Scizor, careful Forry, careful Jirachi, careful Regi (not that used). However for the phys side there are some OU pokes that serve a role, most of the times they are levitators like Bronzong (screens, SR), Uxie (screens, memento), Cresselia (TR, screens, lunar dance) and lately some testing have been done with impish Skarmory (counters Chomp and Groudon). Anything else on the defensive side is not worthy considering: there aren't too many switches you can do unless you have godly stats (try taking a LO STAB Draco Meteor from Dialga with your calm Venusaur). A special mention goes to calm Rain Dish Ludicolo who can serve as a check to Kyogre (imo better than Quagsire cause at least does something against the rest of the team). Good luck using Parasect, lol.

On the offensive side, there are some solid pokes that take advantage of their abilities under weather conditions: Kingdra and Kabutops in rain and Shiftry and Jumpluff (not really offense but eh) in sun. Of course, TTar deserves a special mention as well because he can do a lot of things in Ubers (special wall, lead, mix attacker, dd sweeper).

Finally, Ninjask can be used for BP teams. Hope that helped.

While we are on the subject, what do you guys think of Aerodactyl in Ubers? Great speed, good movepool, good coverage (Ground/Rock/Ice/Dark). It would be walled by Groudon and Giratina-A (when was the last time you saw one?) but can revenge kill all non-scarfers except a bulky Kyogre. Although the SubRoost set would be something worth a try: like Lugia it has Pressure but it trades bulkyness for speed and Taunt, something Lugia doesn't have. Bring in TTar and entry hazards should do the rest.

shrang

General Kenobi
I said the SpD drop, even Blissey takes hefty damage from Draco Meteor at -1SpD...

Suck? Why do they suck? Who sucks?
The point is that you're using a DD Latios. Why the hell does it need SpD drops to be effective?? In case you've forgotten, Dragon Dance raises physical Attack, not Special.

Okay, let's look at the Ice types in the game:
Abomasnow: Yes, can be effective in Ubers due to its niche of setting up hail. Not exactly useful for anything else.
Articuno: Has trouble being useful in NU and UU as it is. SR gimps it, it has rather mediocre offenses, while the bulk it had is turned into poo as it enters the Ubers metagame, where things hit so hard that 120 base Special Defense is mediocre (See Palkia).
Cloyster: Can be effective in Ubers, although only as a Spiking lead used to take out Deoxys-S. Not exactly useful for anything else.
Delibird: Yes, you can try a Focus Sash Counter Ice Shard Rapid Spin lead but it's not going to win you very many games. NEXT
Dewgong: Again, it's "bulk" is absolutely mitigated, and Manaphy (Who arguably is crap in Ubers) abuses Hydration about 100 times better.
Froslass: Can be effective in the lead position as a Spiking lead. Not exactly useful for anything else.
Glaceon: Too slow, too frail, weak to SR, walled by Steels, doesn't hit hard enough (Yes, it hits hard, but not enough).
Glalie: See Froslass but delete the "Can be effective in the lead position as a Spiking lead" bit. Oh wait...
Jynx: Too frail, not fast enough (The things she can outspeed pretty much wall her), doesn't hit hard enough, Darkrai outclasses her.
Lapras: Can probably switch into Kyogre using Water Spout, but that's about it. Again, its "bulk" isn't anywhere near good enough for Ubers, not to mention it doesn't hit very hard and it is way too slow.
Mamoswine: Can be used in Ubers, again, as a lead, with something like SR/Endeavor/Ice Shard/EQ, but is generally too frail and too slow to do anything else.
Regice: Great Special Defense, too bad stuff like Kyogre doesn't care. No reliable recovery and SR weak means it isn't going to be walling for very long either.
Walrein: Stallrein can work in Ubers, but again, very situational.
Weavile: Not a bad revenge killer and late game cleaner. Too bad Forretress laughs at you at Spikes at your team.

I was thinking about making a sun team. What pokemon should I watch out for?
-Marble101
Well the most obvious is Kyogre. Kyogre sets up rainy weather, which unfortunately for you have advantage over sun. To remedy this I recommend using Palkia (now you may use Fire Blast thanks to sun) as she switch on Kyogre with solid comfort and may hit for heavy damage. Another solid candidate is Latias, which does as good as Palkia, but she's more defensive.

Another problem (and to be honest even worse) is Ho-Oh which may switch in and turn your sunny weather against you. Unfortunately Ho-Oh doesn't have any hard counter, but you may find some checks. For example solid check is Scarf Heatran, which switches on fire attacks or flying ones and threaten it with HP Rock. Remember to keep SR on field if you want to go this way. And Heatran loves sunny weather, so it's another bonus for you. Palkia again is solid check, but I recommend to run Thunderbolt as other moves can't seriously threaten Ho-Oh back. Don't even bother with THunder, which has 50% accuracy under sun. Scarf Tyranitar and Garchomp may switch once on Sacred Fire, however sandstorm from Tyranitar doesn't help and Garchomp will hate burn.

Those pokemon are the most dangerous for Uber Sunny teams.

Since Mewtwo doesn't use Psychic, does it suffer from the lack of STAB, or it's just not important?
Not at all, Mewtwo does great with the lack of stab. Since Psychic is such a common typing in ubers, Psychic attacks wouldn't be effective a majority of the time.

As the metagame looks right now I have found no use for Psychic at all for Mewtwo.
If Gen5 adds tons of fighting/poison ubers maybe :p

As for Tyranitar I have been using the following set:

Tyranitar@Choice Band
Adamant
252hp/4atk/252SpDef
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

He still hits hard with only 4 Atk EVs (thanks to Adamant and choice band) and since a large part of the Uber Metagame is weak to his STAB attack that actually works rather well. His bulk in Sandstorm is quite insane, Im gonna give you some calcs just for show.

Standard CM/Taunt Mewtwo before Calm Mind:
Aura Sphere: 58.4% - 69.3%
Ice Beam:15.3% - 18.3%

Standard CM/Taunt Mewtwo after 1 Calm Mind:
Aura Sphere: 87.1% - 103% (Yeah you most likely wont survive that;p)
Ice Beam: 23% - 27.2%

Scarf Kyogre:
Ice Beam: 15.3% - 18.1%
Surf: 46% - 54%

And just a quick calc of this Ttar on offence against a CM/Taunt Mewtwo:

Crunch: 113.6% - 133.9% Guaranteed OKHO.

Some people prefer less HP and more Atk but I personally love the unexpected bulk this monster have.

I have never used an offensive Lugia so I cant help you with it, although I think Aeroblast most likely way to few PP considering that alot of ubers got Pressure.

OK then, I'll do it, just one last question; Fighting is also resisted by Psychic; are Fighting moves common in Ubers?
Focus blast on mewtwos and deoxys-a's are quite common- and sometimes on darkrai. A SubPunch strategy is quite rare but destructive, and mewtwo's, dialga's, palkia's etc. aura spheres are evil moves darkrai should be scared of. Dialga can take those wimpy aura spheres with relative security, but darkrai is KOed most of the time.

Now for my question!
Carrying on with my trick room team, i've got a very difficult question- you'll need a bit of background information.
"Crazy" Ralts@focus sash
uses element of surprise to set up trick room in an emergency- in case the opponent is completely anti-dialga.
(Trick room/Destiny bond(mwahaha!)/Skill swap(for shaymin-s)/protect(for extra annoyance)
When I use this set people think I'm completely bonkers- but it is effective.
Shedinja@focus sash/lum berry
x-scissor
swords dance
sunny day
protect
i think we all know this strategy.
So the (two) big questions are...
To ralts or to shedinja that's the question.
If shedinja, to lum or not to lum?
sorry it was very long.

This Ho-oh: Physical Attacker, or Choice Band?

Hey guys,

Just got the following Ho-oh:

Adamant
HP: 20
Attack: 30
Defense: 24
Sp. Attack: 31
Sp. Defense: 26
Speed: 31

Which set should I use: Physical Attacker or Choice Band? I like Physical Attacker a little more, but I wonder if my -11 HP and -5 Sp. Def would make a significant difference in his ability to survive.

Planned to be allied with Groudon, to be sure, and probably Forretress. Rest of team is undecided for now.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just got the following Ho-oh:

Adamant
HP: 20
Attack: 30
Defense: 24
Sp. Attack: 31
Sp. Defense: 26
Speed: 31

Which set should I use: Physical Attacker or Choice Band? I like Physical Attacker a little more, but I wonder if my -11 HP and -5 Sp. Def would make a significant difference in his ability to survive.

Planned to be allied with Groudon, to be sure, and probably Forretress. Rest of team is undecided for now.

Thanks!
I wouldn't think so, maybe the SpD, but I think your hp iv yields odd still, so not too big a of concern.

Focus blast on mewtwos and deoxys-a's are quite common- and sometimes on darkrai. A SubPunch strategy is quite rare but destructive, and mewtwo's, dialga's, palkia's etc. aura spheres are evil moves darkrai should be scared of. Dialga can take those wimpy aura spheres with relative security, but darkrai is KOed most of the time.

Now for my question!
Carrying on with my trick room team, i've got a very difficult question- you'll need a bit of background information.
"Crazy" Ralts@focus sash
uses element of surprise to set up trick room in an emergency- in case the opponent is completely anti-dialga.
(Trick room/Destiny bond(mwahaha!)/Skill swap(for shaymin-s)/protect(for extra annoyance)
When I use this set people think I'm completely bonkers- but it is effective.
Shedinja@focus sash/lum berry
x-scissor
swords dance
sunny day
protect
i think we all know this strategy.
So the (two) big questions are...
To ralts or to shedinja that's the question.
If shedinja, to lum or not to lum?
sorry it was very long.
I'd use banette instead, as it is generally better at suicide trick room. also, note that stealth rock/spikes/toxic spike kills ralts, and protect works against trick room. when using it in ubers, I use shadow sneak over shadow claw. If giratina-o comes out, (it usually does), give someone on you team something that can 1 or 2 hko it.

I'd use banette instead, as it is generally better at suicide trick room. also, note that stealth rock/spikes/toxic spike kills ralts, and protect works against trick room. when using it in ubers, I use shadow sneak over shadow claw. If giratina-o comes out, (it usually does), give someone on you team something that can 1 or 2 hko it.
Gira-o can take a shadow sneak easily, don't underestimate it's bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)