All-Time Favourite Albums

ALRIGHT, after intense deliberation, nearly insurmountable stress, copious amounts of alcohol and swearing, and thoughts of suicide, I have produced a list of my 5 ALL TIME FAVORITE Albums:

5. Onset of Putrefaction - Necrophagist
It was quite hard to choose an album for this spot out of all the possible contenders, but I eventually chose this album because it essentially introduced me to death metal, which is now one of my favorite genres of music. Apparently not the most popular album judging by the metal thread, but I absolutely love it. Muhammed is probably my favorite metal vocalist, even though it is kind of generic.

4. Leviathan - Mastodon
Asking me to choose a favorite Mastodon album is like asking me to choose between my (figurative) children. Even as I put Leviathan in the 4 spot on this list, I'm still not certain that it's my favorite one, but hey I have to choose one I suppose. Leviathan gets the nod because I feel like Dailor's best work is on this album

3. Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
Like Mastodon, if you asked me to make a top 25 list of my favorite albums, I'd put good odds on at least 3 QOTSA albums making the cut. This one is without a doubt my favorite, however, and one of the main reasons for that is Dave Grohl. Such an amazing album.

2. Somewhere in the Between - Streetlight Manifesto
I have a huge hard on for Tomas Kalnoky. Everything he touches turns to gold. This album especially, as I had no idea how they could possibly top Everything Goes Numb, yet they somehow managed to do it with flying colors. There is so much depth to this album and every little thing has a purpose in each song.

1. Keasbey Nights - Catch 22
Yep, huge hard on. Favorite album by a mile. I love every song on here and it's been my favorite album for over a decade. Unless god himself makes an album, nothing will ever top this for me.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin
Blue Album - Weezer
Unquestionable Presence - Atheist
An Evening With The Sound Providers - The Sound Providers

5. Radiohead - In Rainbows

This is Radiohead's best album, without a doubt. It's such an amazing album. It perfectly blends the elements of the Radiohead from the 90's, while still keeping the general atmosphere of Kid a, Amnesiac, etc. Every song just works together so seamlessly, they've really mastered the art of making an album...well, and album instead of just a compilation of songs. Every song brings something so much different to the table than every other song in the album, it's very diverse, and that's why I love this album.

4. The Arcade Fire - Funeral

This album has so much soul to it. You can really feel the power and resolve behind every song on this album. These guys are really the masters of setting up an atmosphere for each song. I can really imagine them in my head, and it always makes me forget about the world around me and sit in the album that is Funeral. Every song in this album is a modern day classic, and best yet, every song has something meaningful to society.

3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

Hendrix was such a genius. It's his third album, and he again, managed to make it perfect. I don't beleive any artist in history was ever as consistent as Hendrix. This is probably his most "artsy" album, with some great symbolism infused with the song progression. Crosstown Traffic, Little Miss Strange, Come On, Gypsy Eyes, 1983, House Burning Down, All Along The Watchtower, AND Voodoo Child all on one album? Hendrix, you are way too nice.

2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

Perfection. Perfection. Perfection. Oh Godddddd. Every song is a classic. Every song is perfect. Politics, Love, Stories, this album has it all. Just. I really don't know how else to explain it. This album IS perfect. The very sense of perfection IS this album.

1. The Clash - London Calling

This album is.........Wow....... Honestly, the album that changed my life. There isn't even a handful of albums that can be compared to the greatness of this album. This album sends such important messages. Race, War, Love, Social Unrest, Music, Economics, Hate, Drugs, Strength, Propoganda, People, The World. This album hits home for every person, and it sure as hell hits home harder than any other album in history. Undoubtedly the greatest political album ever. Joe Strummer and Mick Jones made a masterpeice, a work of art, a gem for the world to hear. What else can I tell you? This very well may be the greatest album in the history of mankind.

Honorable Mentions

The Clash - The Clash
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - As Bold As Love
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
The Libertines - Up The Bracket
The Beatles - Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
Michael Jackson - Thriller
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Radiohead - OK Computer​

Honorable Mentions:
The National - Boxer
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief / OK Computer
The American Dollar - A Memory Stream
The Antlers - Hospice
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever
Bullets in Madison - If I Were A Neutron Star (And Other Stories From The Few and Far Between)
Eluvium - Copia
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Envy - Insomniac Doze

5. Radiohead - The Bends
Blame it on the black star

This was really hard to choose against OK Computer and Hail to the Thief. Musically, all of their albums after The Bends were probably better, and definitely had their better individual songs. But when I get into a Radiohead mood, the only album I can consistently start playing and not want to skip a song along the way to get to something else is The Bends. I find it to be an unshakable album from start to finish, and Street Spirit is just a haunting closer.

Favorite Track: Black Star

4. Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
I need you so much closer

Everything before this album for DCFC seemed just a bit too rough and uneven, everything after this album seemed way too polished and forced. This album has gotten me through a lot of tough times; Gibbard and Co. really seemed to have the greatest control over the emotional weight of the songs on this album of any of their material.

Favorite Track: Transatlanticism

3. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Collapse the light into earth

I really feel like this album represented the peak between the two musical points of Porcupine Tree's career, with the more experimental/psychadelic fare of the early-to-mid 90s meeting with the more prog-rock/metal oriented direction they've been taking their more recent fare, and the mixture of both is done perfectly. Blackest Eyes is one hell of an opener, Collapse The Light Into Earth is one hell of a closer, and there's not a hint of filler in-between.

Favorite Track: Collapse The Light into Earth

2. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
Surprise, sometimes, will come around

Untitled is my favorite song of all time. This album is just great; it's a shame that Antics and Our Love To Admire couldn't come close to being this consistently great of a work.

1. Andrew Bird - & The Mysterious Production of Eggs
Youthful indiscretion now is suddenly the norm, with all the good kids sproutin' horns

Andrew Bird is a lyrical genius, and I honestly am hard-pressed to find any other artist in my collection who is as consistently clever a wordsmith as he. This is before he even starts to play a single note. The Mysterious Production of Eggs is a perfect album from beginning to end, Bird's unique brand of folk rock shining through in ways he only hinted at on albums before it. The greatest thing about the album is that at no point does it really seem like Bird is trying to lend any significant emotional weight or meaning to his songs that doesn't already deserve to be there; even the melancholy is upbeat.

Favorite Song: Opposite Day

pookar

Banned deucer.
this is going to be quite hard because theres only a few albums ive ever really attached to. also im not going to fill this post with images, instead text. also, no real order unless stated.

lets see.. gotta mention a DT album and although my guy instinct was to say Scenes from a Memory, i have to go with Awake. Easily Dream Theater's best songwriting, thanks to Myung and Moore. Lots of great parts throughout the album, not really any weak songs.

I think I'll have to thank Doomsday for this next one.. at least i think it was him who recommended me check out Remedy Lane. As he stated in his post on page one.. not really any weak tracks and strong emotion come out of that album. Its relatively simple but the lyrics really hit me.

Still Life by Opeth. Some people like Blackwater Park more, but the storytelling combined with Akerfeldt's relatively youthful growling. The opening to The Moor gets me pumped every single time (saw it live recently, awesome).

now heres where it gets tricky.. id rather not just name another opeth/dt album.

Madvillainy. Easily my favorite hip hop album by one of the few hiphop artists I like, MF DOOM. Some real great tracks on there. I guess not much to say.

this spot i could fill with a pink floyd album, an iron maiden album, funkadelic, frank zappa, king crimson, death.. i really dont know...

pf - animals
im - powerslave
funkadelic - mothership connection
frank zappa - joe's garage
king crimson - red
death - no idea, sound of perseverance

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In no particular order:

Radiohead - OK Computer
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Sure okay

Overall favourite album from my current favourite band. It's not no. 1 because I prefer YMO's live stuff these days, and the really really good tracks are scattered across their various live CDs.

Only discovered this band a few months ago (been a fan of new-wave since like ever, though). Everybody Wants to Rule the World is pretty much my favourite song at the moment. (note: Gary Jules' sappy version of "Mad World" has nothing on the original. NOTHING.)

First album that inspired me to look past the boring metal I was into when I was younger.

Mylo is such a legend. Confessed to making this album using nothing but "a few software thingies" on his home computer. Doesn't stop it from sounding downright amazing, though.

Could have put up the American version for this but I think the Japanese version is 100x better (for those who don't know, the album is Daft Punk's Discovery. Music at its finest. Not much more to say.

5. Cynic - Traced in Air

Utterly beautiful from start to finish, every song has something unique to love about it, and Masvidal's innate ability to make his flowing guitar work sound as the background to his amazing singing voice, so much so that you barely even notice the amazing lightness it adds to the songs, contrasted with the heavier riffs in the album are just incredible. The drums are never boring or standard, always adding something fresh to the table, just listen to Integral Birth for example.

Recommended songs: Traced in Air, Nunc Stans.

4. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
I love this album, the band were definitely firing on all cylinders here, and there's quite a diverse range of songs in the album, from the quick-fire opener The Wicker Man to the more melodic Blood Brothers and the six-guitar harmony in the middle of The Thin Line Between Love and Hate. The latter in particular is one of Maiden's most underrated songs, containing (in my opinion) Bruce's greatest ever vocal performance during the second chorus ("My soul will fly") and some excellent melodic riffs at the end. The album has other highlights, not least the stunning title track and the beautiful solo in The Nomad. All in all, anyone who wants to get a good start into one of the greatest bands on earth could definitely do worse than start here

Recommended songs: The Nomad, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Brave New World.

3. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
I went through a phase, about a year ago, of just playing this album end-to-end (skipping Escape, as that song is truly terrible), and for good reason: Ride the Lightning is Metallica's crowning glory and should have been the blueprint for thrash, unlike it's counterpart, Master of Puppets. The genre would have been more melodic at least. This isn't to detract from Puppets, which is still a great album, Ride the Lightning is just better. Metallica stick to their thrash roots on songs like opener Fight Fire With Fire and Creeping Death, the latter containing one of the best heavy bridges ever created, while showing the melodic side which so epitomised their best work during the 80s, the ballad Fade to Black being the most obvious example, with Hetfield's beautiful acoustic playing and Hammet pulling out the greatest solo of his entire career. The songs were all perfect for live playing, particularly For Whom the Bell Tolls with its slow tempo making it perfect to get the crowd involved and the bridge of Creeping Death which was regularly extended to over three minutes while the crowd screamed "DIE!" at the top of their lungs. Bass extroardinaire Cliff Burton was also in sublime form, particularly on the evil sounding closer The Call of Ktulu, feauturing constant "lead bass" throughout the verses.

Recommended songs: Fade to Black, Ride th Lightning, The Call of Ktulu.

2. Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Oh wow, where do I start? From blistering opener Aces High right through to the 13-minute epic closer Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Powerslave represents the crowning glory of Iron Maiden. Every band member is in flying form, from Bruce's awesome screams in Aces High, Steve Harris' excellent basslines in The Duellists and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Nicko McBrain's maniacal drums, especially during his little drum-fill section in Powerslave and the smooth guitar harmonies of Adrian Smith and Dave Murray throughout the album, and the latter also gives the best solo of his career in the title-track. "Unstoppable" would describe this album very well, as the energy throughout is, well, unstoppable. Every song blasts along, trailing great riffs in their wake, as Harris' famous "galloping" bassline brings everything along excellently. A prime example would be Flash of the Blade, with a catchy and exciting riff carried along by the drums and bass blasting underneath. And when they slow down for the beautiful solo sections in Two Minutes to Midnight and the title-track that energy is still retained, building up slowly back into the blistering pace once again. Despite the brilliance of the rest of the album, the epic closer Rime of the Ancient Mariner still sticks out. From the silky harmonies during the faster parts, to the unbelievably haunting bass in the middle section, amplified by volume swelling guitars, this song is everything that is great about Maiden and then some.

Recommended songs: Aces High, Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

1. Rush - Hemispheres

The absolute pinnacle of what an album can be. Every song is an instant classic, that if it were on any other album would be called the highlight. The unbelievable musicianship of the band shows through every song, and they're not afraid to try something different with every song, The title track's incredible length and the varying riffs throughout; the woodblock and xylophone solo in The Trees, the almost random sounding synth interlude in Circumstances and the cartoonish riff in La Villa Strangiato. These different sounds, combined with the individuality of the riffs in general and the clever time signatures and musical tricks Rush use in the songs are never just to show of their musical ability, but to make the songs sound good. And oh God they do. Geddy Lee's unique bass playing style and singing voice, Neil Peart's jaw-dropping drum skills and Alex Lifeson's unbelievable abilities in almost every aspect of the guitar shine through, and all combine together without ever letting one member subdue the others. Even during Lifeson's solos the bass and drums are still playing superb riffs. And that's not to detract from the solos, which are utterly superb, especially the utterly godly solo from La Villa Strangiato, developing from a simple volume swell to an all out shred, while always being played with the incredible soul Lifeson posesses. In fact, why are you still reading this? Just go listen to The Trees dammit.

Recommended songs: Everything, but probably start with The Trees if you haven't heard much prog rock before.

Like Swimming?

tbh I didn't think I'd end up with Morphine on a top 5 list. I feel that the lower numbers are often harder to decide on than the higher ones on lists like these, and this is one such case. Morphine is one of the coolest bands ever, it's a damn shame Mark Sandman had to go off and die.
I found these guys about a year ago and couldn't stop listening to Cure For Pain, imagine my surprise when I found they had 4 other albums!!!
Like Swimming is best, 4 srs. More sax-centric than the other four, which is one of the reason I love it. It's not as chill as Cure For Pain, but not as "chaotic" (if you can really apply such terms to Morphine...) as Yes. (nor is it as depressing as The Night)

It's rare for me to enjoy everything a band writes - I can name maybe 3 bands where I like everything they've written. Cake's one of them. Comfort Eagle is just all-around amazing. Lots of fond memories associated with it too...

I feel like this list is going to get me a lot of hate for some reason, and this might be why. :(
Almost everything about this album is beautiful. From the more "complex" tracks like Of The Room to the simple little interludes like A Walk in the Park, it's just amazing. The concept is kind of "eh"but everything else justifies it.

Picked this up out of curiosity about a month ago. Turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made, musically. Opened the door to the rest of King Crimson, and Camel and a bunch of other "similar" artists. It's short, but god damn. The opening is so solid, Fripp's a talented motherfucker. Fallen Angel is simple before roaring into a chaotic finish.
One More Red Nightmare is undoubtedly my favorite song at the moment. Everything about it... The lyrics, the geetarz, the saxes, the drums...
Providence is kind of meh (maybe a 5/10) but it's cool because it was recorded live not 20 minutes from where I live.
Starless puts an absolutely beautiful finish to the first (and best!!) era of King Crimson. The whole album sort of sums up everything KC did from '69-'74, emphasizes their strengths, etc., and Starless itself does so too. The lyrics, the "ambient" guitars, the chaotic solos...
I probably listen to the album at least once every day.

another reason I feel I'm going to get hated on :(
I'll make another list like this in a month, a year, probably a decade and the only album that ever remains constant is this one. from the very first time I listened to it, I've loved it. Omar's a brilliant guitarist, Cedric's a loony motherfucker, Isaiah Owens is a badass with his eighty million keyboards. The concept is cool shit. Realizing "holy shit there's a story here was a great moment for me. But yeah...
It starts so perfectly, keeps going through a chaotic middle section, full of crazy jams that show off the talents of everyone who comes through the band, and ends as flawlessly as it begins... (Take the Veil is one of my favorite songs of all time ~_~)
definitely a "love it or hate it" deal, and I absolutely love it (and almost everything they've done)

yeah

yep
btw SAW 85-92 is better than SAW II

1. Iron Maiden - Brave New World

Their most solid album besides Somewhere In Time, no boring tracks on either of these two, but I chose BNW because of the better production. Powerslave would be a honorable mention if it wasn't for the middle 4 songs which I just skip most of the time.

2. Opeth - Blackwater Park

This is the album that got me into Opeth and heavier music in general. The riffs on the title song, The Drapery Falls and Bleak are incredible, with some nice contrast in the form of mellow parts in songs such as Harvest. Steven Wilson's help and influence can definitely be heard and appreciated.

3. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Very interesting album, some people say it's the heaviest album they've ever heard, while others say it's the most mellow album they've ever heard, which just shows how different the songs are compared to each other within this album, but.. it just works out really well.

4. Pain Of Salvation - BE

This album is pretty tied with Scarsick and Remedy Lane for being my fave PoS album, it just sort of changes according to my mood which one I currently like the most, I guess. The lyrics make up for 50% of the quality of the album as usual, and they're actually quite thought-provoking here, them being about existence and life. Very good vocal performances as well.

5. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

The classic. I don't think I have to explain this one.

Honorable mentions:

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Blackfield - Blackfield II
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Radiohead - The Bends
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Pain - Psalms Of Extinction

There's no way I'm going to be able to rank these, so I'll leave them unnumbered.

Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Genre: Power Metal

I’ve always thought of Sonata Arctica as more of a song-orientated band than an album-orientated one and I knew that one of their albums definitely deserved a spot here, so my choice is the album that contains the most of the songs that go way back with me (and are still awesome). Back in the days of being a 14-year-old, I listened to Muse and only Muse, and this is no exaggeration. I was speaking on NetBattle with a certain Bulgarian user sporting a notable quiff, who kindly introduced me to FullMoon, a staple of this album. I was hungry for more, so I listened to his other SA recommendations. It took me ages to actually get any full albums, but it's safe to say that they were one of my favourite bands and still are. Got the lovely opportunity to see them live last December, too.

Ecliptica contains plenty of their most famous songs, most of them in the fast, melodic, over the top style that Sonata fans know and love (unless they’re only into post-Reckoning Night stuff). Keyboards and double bass pedals ahoy and a singer who goes in and out of puberty no less than three times per song…ah, it’s beautiful. Of course, it’s got the two ballads Replica and Letter to Dana that are pulled off superbly, the former remaining an iconic SA song today. The album finishes with Destruction Preventer, a 7-minuter with fast parts, slow parts, guitar/keyboard battles, a fair few points where you think the song ends but it doesn’t and what is quite possibly the highest scream I have ever heard. Sure, the SA of today have matured and their songs are more complex and rich in oddities, but Ecliptica still wins my vote as their best.

In short, sort of a generic power metal album, but not generic in a bad way – more of an archetypal power metal album.

Extol - Undeceived
Genre: Technical/Progressive Death Metal

This band (and this album specifically) is to me what Opeth is to many people - it served as the gateway band that allowed me to embrace harsh vocals instead of having them turn me off any otherwise-good song that contains them. When I first heard the title track, I wasn't sure what to expect since it opens with about half a minute of strings. Then a scream came out of nowhere and scared the crap out of me, but it also made me curious, so I listened through the rest of the song. It was unlike anything else I had heard up to that point and I was hooked. Later on I downloaded the album and it has withstood the test of time since then.

I will admit that once I got into Extol, it took a little while to get accustomed to the fact that not all growlers have the same voice and Peter Espevoll's voice is one of the more different ones - some may say his vocals are a bit strange, but when I first heard Extol, I naturally expected all other death metal vocalists to have such a voice and was disappointed when they didn't reach the bar. I've heard it said that he sounds a bit robotic, but my opinion on the matter is that he's got a more wholesome, varied growl than the standard grunt. But the drummer can pull off some of the most technical stuff I've ever heard - in fact, I'd say he's my absolute favourite drummer. What's more, he can perform it all live without missing a single beat. Of course, the rest of the band are pretty damn talented as well, but these are the highlights. Although the production is nothing to boast about, it doesn't harm the quality of this album one bit in my eyes.

In short, a great gateway album that means a lot to me and showcases some real talent, in my opinion.

Antestor - The Forsaken
Genre: Black Metal

The lowdown on Antestor at the time they recorded this album: they play black metal, their last two albums were some kind of clunky, doomy part of the genre with grating, badly-done death growls and black metal shrieks, they've gotten rid of their actually pretty awesome look and are starting to don corpsepaint instead, and they're Christians. Add this all together and it seems like this is about to be one of the worst musical releases of all time. I heard the opening track of the album shortly after first listening to Extol's Undeceived (also within this top 5), having known very little of the contextual stuff outlined above (including why this should in theory be terrible to anybody who hasn't listened to it) and would have to say that I rather enjoyed it. Being younger, naive and more spun by common musical stereotypes, I dismissed it after a short while as it's (un)black metal and I'm a Christian myself (OOH IT'S ALL DISGUSTING AND SATANIC AND HORRIBLE), then regained interest a couple of years on after reading some reviews by religious and secular listeners alike that gave it very close to a 100% score. I was not disappointed by what I heard when I downloaded it.

One thing I didn't know before I listened was that almost the entire lineup had changed since the old days, and this was very evident in the music. Instead of TR00 KVLT BLACK METAL PRODVKTION, the album was very well produced and pretty much every instrument has the presence it needs. The new vocalist is one of the best in the genre in my opinion and the guitarist plays well and even goes into impressive solos in certain songs. The keyboardist uses every trick in the book, either adding melody or atmosphere to the music where required and the drummer is none other than Hellhammer surprisingly, making it pretty obvious that the drumming is good. Every one of the ten songs is written intricately to incorporate all of this and the band draws influences from various other styles of music, some of which rather peculiar for black metal, while the songs all sound distinctly different from one another. Also, the lyrics are anything but Bible-bashing - they consist of various darker themes and provoke serious thought.

In short, a very varied album that breaks many of the common stereotypes of black metal.

Theocracy - Mirror of Souls
Genre: Power/Progressive Metal

Theocracy began as a one-man band with vocalist Matt Smith performing lead, backing, choral etc vocals on his own and recording the guitar, bass and keyboard while programming a drum machine. This is basically what the self-titled album consisted of and while it was in essence pretty good, having nobody to help him rather hurt it in my opinion. Mirror of Souls was recorded after he got a full band together and this was the result.

Well, the album’s got eight songs on it and there’s quite a variation between them. Some of them rely heavily on the standard power metal formula, tweaking little bits of the structure but keeping a strong sound, generally ending up as what I would consider average at the bare minimum. There are a couple of slower, cheesier songs that can’t quite be called ballads but are relatively similar emotionally. The remaining songs are more complex and contain parts influenced by everything from death metal to flamenco. That last bit may sound a bit weird, but it’s been expertly done and in my opinion, the true mark of a good prog band is if they can throw in stuff from all over the musical spectrum and make it work. The album is lyrically provocative as well, an example being the album’s 22-minute title track and closer, a song about a man’s dream about going through a hall of mirrors and seeing himself as a zombie which is explained as a metaphor for humans are seen by God and others. The production is also superior to the album’s predecessor by miles and it also contains proper drumming instead of the drum machine from before. Last but not least, Theocracy are capable musicians and are able to adjust their style to fit everything that the album has to offer.

In short, eight likeable songs which vary widely in length, style and structure yet all still carry a power metal feel to some degree.

Shadow Gallery - Legacy
Genre: Progressive Metal/Rock
I’m not going to bother with unnecessary background information on this one, since there’s not much to tell anyway.

The album contains just six songs, all of which are completely different from one another, so I’ll just go through them one by one. Cliffhanger 2 is the opener, and a sequel to the similar Cliffhanger that opens one of Shadow Gallery’s earlier albums. 15 minutes in total, which includes a fairly long yet not annoying buildup at the beginning and 6 or so minutes of solo comprising the second half of the song. The next song is Destination Unknown, a relaxing piece that starts off with just the piano and vocals, then the rest of the instruments come in, beefing it up a bit but not ruining the mood. A not unwelcome instrumental takes over in the second half, subsiding into a gentle piano part that leads nicely into Colors. Ever seen a movie where a couple who are deeply in love begin prancing through a flowery meadow, then spin each other by the arms with the camera showing the background spinning behind them? That’s what Colors sounds like. Society of the Mind next, a relatively run-of-the-mill 5 minute prog song with socially conscious lyrics about technology. Then comes the title track, a faster song comprising various moods, brilliant vocal harmonies, a catchy chorus and an instrumental battle where pretty much all of the instruments get their part to play. Finally, we have First Light, a 34-minute epic that takes everything else that made the first five songs great and put them into one song. It’s a swirling mix of emotions, but it’s got one brown note and that is that around the 23-27 minute mark, the quiet acoustic ‘outro’ has finally faded out and all you hear is incredibly quiet voices for five minutes, then you get the sound of someone knocking on a door over and over before you come to the majesty of the triumphant ending of the song. Basically, what we’re dealing with is a talented prog band crafting an album where the six songs are all very different yet likeable.

In short, songs which all evoke different emotions are all put together in one album and flow together exceptionally, with the final song epitomising…well, everything.

Wow, I've just realised how long I've spent typing stuff that I doubt anyone will ever read. If I had to list any honourable mentions, I'd probably end up getting a list rather similar to fine user Alphatron above me.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
5. Metallica - And Justice For All

This was the first Metallica album I heard, and my god, it is beautiful. The riffs in One, along with Lars' awesome double bass, just gripped me. Also, the introduction to Blackened is just amazing. I especially love the lyrics of Harvester of Sorrow.

Notable songs - One, Blackened, Harvester of Sorrow.

4. Iron Maiden - Brave New World

Such a beautiful collection of songs.

3. Green Day - American Idiot

A lot of people don't like Green Day, but this is a great Album full of good Rock music.

2. Metallica - The Black Album

Widely regarded as the best Metallica Album, I was hooked from the first Song. Enter Sandman has amazing riffs, The Unforgiven is just epic, and Wherever I may Roam is one of the best songs Metallica has ever made. However, the song that really clinched this was Nothing Else Matters. It's not a heavy, Thrash Song, but it is one of their best songs ever. Such a great Album. Also, it doesn't get boring, because there are some nice songs like Of Wolf and Man.

Notable songs - Wherever I May Roam, Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, the Unforgiven.

1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Yeah, I know I seem biased. Three Metallica Albums? They're just that good :)

Ride the Lightning is good, old-school Thrash Metallica. One of their best albums ever. Creeping Death, as someone already mentioned, has a great bridge that a live audience screams "DIE" to. Ride the lightning has a great intro and nice lyrics.

It's heartwarming to see so many metalheads here.
My list isn't really ranked, they all go as my favourites, not in any particular order:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Definitely ma favourite album of Metallica. Opened by a crazy, speedy Battery, goes into a masterpiece called Master of Puppets and then lets us hear such beautiful songs as Sanitarium, Damage, Inc. or Orion.

Motorhead - Overkill
Overkill... I don't even know how to describe it. It's just pure rock, the essence of it. One of the albums that shaped modern metal and rock as we know them. Pure ecstasy for me.

Sabaton - Art of War
Speedy, powerful dose of metal. Many songs which make you want to grab a gun and go fight for your country or mourn soldiers lost in pointless conflicts. Some songs literally make me to walk as if I was marching when I listen to them on my MP3 player. This will most probably remain my favourite Sabaton album, although I don't know if it won't be beaten by Coat of Arms.

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
One of the first power metal bands and one of their best albums that helped shape the genre as we know it today. Enough said.

5. Anthrax - Among the Living

A great album by a great band. The best music Anthrax have written. Belladonna's vocals are great, especially in Indians.
Notable songs: Caught in a Mosh, I Am the Law, Indians

4. Slayer - Reign In Blood

One of Slayer's heaviest (if not the heaviest) albums with chaotic riffs and Tom Araya's great vocals.
Notable songs: Angel of Death, Postmortem, Raining Blood

3. Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Aces High kicks off the action in what is the pinnacle of Iron Maiden's albums. The whole band is in excellent form as Adrian Smith and Dave Murray's great guitar harmonies and Bruce Dickinson's awesome vocals continue on through the rest of the album all the way to Rime of the Ancient Mariner which is an epic closer.
Notable songs: Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Flesh of the Blade, Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner

2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace

One of the greatest thrash albums and one of the most influential metal albums of all time. Some of the greatest riffs Megadeth ever wrote are in Tornado of Souls and Rust in Peace... Polaris and the rest of the album is just phenomenal.
Notable songs: Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Tornado of Souls, Rust In Peace... Polaris, Hangar 18

1. Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Even though Master of Puppets is considered Metallica's best album, ...And Justice For All is my favourite album of theirs containing the most complex song structures Metallica has ever written. Excellent riffs in Blackened and One, great lyrics in Eye of the Beholder, pure anger in Dyers Eve and two masterpieces: the title song (it's lenght being it's only flaw) and Harvester of Sorrow. I won't bother with notable songs as the whole album is a masterpiece. Makes you think how much better it could have been if it contained some of Cliff's awesome bass riffs.

Honorable mentions: Some great albums that barely failed to make the top five:

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Slayer - South of Heaven
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

5. Talking Heads - Remain In Light

I've heard a lot of fun albums, like De La Soul Is Dead or London Calling, but this one takes the cake. The Brian Eno produced Remain In Light is so entrancing, it almost makes you want to get up and dance and look like a complete idiot in the process. I've only heard this album a few months ago but its still managed to work its way onto my Top 5.

4. Radiohead - Kid A

You know, as a band that gave us The Bends and OK Computer both in a row, you'd think their 4th album wouldn't be a step up from their other work, but Kid A not only reinvents Radiohead's image (I think I remember somewhere Yorke said he didn't want to make more OK Computer type albums) but it becomes a genre blending experience that sounds satisfying on ever listen, maybe even more satisfying ever listen. Honestly, a Pitchfork review I read a while back send it best, "Kid A makes Rock look childish", its almost as if not only Radiohead but the entire genre grew as a result of this album.

3. Common - Like Water For Chocolate

*Taken from my RYM review*

Always had a soft spot for Common, he's always been one of my favorites and I remember as a kid my dad was always playing this album. Hell, even to this day, Common's my dad's favorite rapper. So naturally one day I decided to try out this album. And wow I wasn't disappointed. Like Water For Chocolate takes soul, hip hop and funk ingredients and puts them in a blender to make a new dish, while Common is your chef this evening. Like Water For Chocolate is 1 of a kind, and its one of those albums you can't really categorize. Funky for You obviously strays into the Funk genre, A Song for Assata is one of the most soulful tracks on the album and 6th Sense is 100% hip-hop, as only Common can do it. Excellent album, theirs few better in hip-hop.

2. The Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

OK flashback to 1993, you were a little kid and 8 talented Staten Islanders (And U-God) just dropped what would go down as *1 of the greatest Hip-Hop albums ever. Like think about it. You take Ghostface, Raekwon, Method Man, GZA, Inspectah Deck, ODB, and RZA on 1 track, do that through an entire album and add Masta Killa & U-God and you got a classic album. Seriously its a simple formula, have 9 rappers spit over gritty rhymes over equally as gritty beats. Its just that but it sounds amazing every time you hear it. Besides it launched the careers of some of my favorite rappers, such as Ghostface and Raekwon.

1. Nas - Illmatic

As a hip-hop fan, its almost essential for me to put this in the top spot. No album in hip-hop can touch this, and very few in other genres can either. This album is definitive and its flawless. Nas had an entire team of the hottest producers at the time, including Large Professor, Pete Rock, Q-Tip and the now legendary DJ Premier. Every track is beautifully produced and it fits the mood of Nas's rhymes. And wow can Nas rhyme, Nas paints beautifully vivid pictures with his amazing flow and lyricism. He literally sounds like someone figured out how to put Rakim's head on Kool G Rap's body. He rips every track apart and is clearly the hungriest rapper in the game at this point and time.

Radiohead - OK Computer
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Outkast - ATLiens & Aquemini
The Beatles - Revolver & Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side On The Moon
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible & Funeral
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Television - Marquee Moon

pookar

Banned deucer.
hey, erazor, not to derail the original topic, but the black album usually isnt regarded as the ball metallica album. its usually a fight between Ride the Lightning/AJFA/MoP. Not saying its a bad album or anything.

isn't MoP most widely regarded as the best..? I really would even go so far as to say that the Black Album is not a very good album, as it is a lot of radio friendly songs backed up with a lot of filler, and the radio friendly songs are much more streamlined, losing that great songwriting that Metallica had over the previous three albums. Sure, the riffs are great, but 80s Metallica had great riffs, too, except the songs seemed to go places instead of just repeating the verse-chorus format. Master of Puppets wove riffs together so that the songs never lost their speed or power, but the songs were much more interesting. Also, the sound on that album was so great, all the instruments were at perfect levels, it was a masterpiece.

anyway i think i need to change my top albums as my music tastes have changed a little in the past year. I still like the same things, but I like some things even more now.

Pink Floyd - Animals I don't really listen to the first and last songs very hard, but the three in the middle are just brilliant pieces of music that transition from furious to ominous to spacey, with lengthy jams that are really the kind of thing that I am interested in.

Aerosmith - Aerosmith They just reach down and pull out a bunch of perfect hard rock tracks peppered with guitar solos and great singing, except for Dream On, which sounds nothing like the rest of the album yet is still a classic, for obvious reasons.

Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley I think DM said something like "you will always know someone who hasn't listened to Kyuss because they'll say things like 'Rage Against the Machine has the best riffs'". Oh, the riffs on this album are incredible. It seems like all the good riffs using the pentatonic scale have been used up, so Homme manages to find riffs using weird chords, and the weird chords sound just as good, if not better (see Demon Cleaner for that nice augmented sixth. I love it but I had to look up the tab to see what note it was because I couldn't figure it out by ear, barely anyone uses augmented sixths in minor keys). Garcia's voice is also a favorite of mine.

The Atomic Bitchwax - The Atomic Bitchwax II Or maybe... these guys have the best riffs. If they don't, they certainly put all the riffs together into a great song better than anyone else. They take the mind-boggling riffs of Karma to Burn, but instead of going for stylistic purity and abolishing vocals altogether, they use vocals when they are needed, and ignore them if they won't fit in well with the song. I guess they lack the purity of KtB, but they use the vocals for gain on certain tracks, by adding a completely different sound that is unachievable with instruments, and ultimately putting together a better record. It also doesn't hurt that they won't bring back a riff from the beginning of a song if it isn't needed, but they will bring it back if it will sound great at the end of the song to close it out. They just pull all the stops to make sure every song is fantastic.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik I think it's how the songs close out and transition into the next one that makes this album for me. There is almost no rest in between songs, and early listens had me confused over where one song stops and another begins because of how well they flow together. Flea's work on the bass is steady on this album (much more so than on previous albums, when he was whaling on his bass the entire time), but he comes out with these brilliant bass fills that almost seem better because they aren't happening all the time. This is also before Anthony started trying to sing "pretty" so when he sings he does actually seem to have a good voice. And the jams that come out in the ends of several songs are beautiful; I think my favorite is in the last track (Sir Psycho Sexy) which completely changes the feel of the song and ends the album on the highest pinnacle possible.

These albums all really reflect the best of my favorite part of music - the smooth transitions from one part of a song to the other, as long as both parts sound great. The ability to change the style of a song without missing a beat really fascinates me.

1. Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil
2. Escape The Fate - Dying Is Your Latest Fashion
3. Blessthefall - His Last Walk
4. Atreyu - The Best Of Atreyu / The Curse
5. A Day To Remember - Homesick

I tried to pick my top 5 outta my current favorite albums and I ended up with these. I'm not good at explaining, so I'll just leave it at that.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My top 5 constantly change, and it could be different tomorrow, but here's, at a rough guess:

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall

I used to always say that Wish You Were Here was my favourite Floyd album. It probably still is on an emotional level and it might as well have gotten the top spot but at this point in time, when I listen to Pink Floyd, I gravitate more to the acerbic messages of the Wall (and the movie) than I do to the nostalgia and elegy of Wish You Were Here. Pink Floyd is and will always be my favourite band, I think - they must be on top.

2. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

One of the defining albums in my current musical taste. Porcupine Tree was an impulse buy - I got Deadwing and In Absentia on some vague recommendations - but when I played them, I was hooked beyond words. This is another band where I can't pick between any of their records so I took the one with "Trains" on it.

3. Anathema - Judgement

I am a huge, huge Anathema fan. I have something for their slow, depressive feel. It's moody as fuck and I dig it. One of the best live bands ever too.

4. Opeth - Blackwater Park

Quintessential for me.

5. Rammstein - Mutter

Industrial stomp deluxe. Rammstein STILL get plays from me and I heard them for the first time when I was 12. That should tell you something.

Honorable mentions:

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Blackfield - Blackfield II
Portishead - Dummy
Slayer Reign in Blood
Death - Human
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
Radiohead - OK Computer

and many more.

Oh man, where do I start? I have a lot of songs, and dividing them up into albums is going to be hard but here it goes from #12:

12) Justice - Cross

This duo has been referred to as the understudy of Daft Punk. While they may be French, and a duo, the glaring similarities pretty much end there. What Justice has done with House and Electronica music is, for lack of any other term, amazing. I could best describe their tracks and Electro-Disco-House music. The distorted bass lines, the funky synth, the carefully placed (and sometimes indiscernible) samples all come together in their debut album to create masterful songs. In my honest opinion, they've differentiated themselves from Daft Punk from the get go, and for the better. For further clarification, the correct "name" for the album is the symbol itself. It was dubbed "Cross" due to a lack of pronunciation for a cross symbol. Despite the cross on the cover, the music that Justice produces is non-religious

11) Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

The relentless verbosity of Aesop Rock is especially showcased in this album. The vast variety of beats do not detract from his ability to rap to each successful with his unique style which can be best described as paranoid. Lyrics freaks, such as me, know that after each song, you will be picking through each and every sentence & word with zeal, trying to find all the hidden meanings within. The album can be described as a fortune cookie, within a fortune cookie, and so on & so forth. The surprises just keep on coming, like the hidden track I finally realized existed my third time through the album.

10) Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

9) Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

The man raps from the viewpoint of a cheeseburger in. There is an orchestra in the background. Need anything else be said?

8) Danger Mouse - The Grey Album

7) Danger Doom - The Mouse and the Mask

6) Common - Be

5) Eiffel 65 - Europop

4) Nas - Illmatic

3) Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

2) Eric B. & Rakim - Follow the Leader

1) Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star

Descriptions coming later. I'm lazy as of now.

1.) Radiohead - OK Computer
2.) Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
3.) Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
4.) Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
5.) Strawberry Jam - Animal Collective

Ehhhh. I hate picking five. I limited myself to one per artist, or it'd all be Radiohead :-/. I'm only kind of kidding. A favorite album list without Reasonable Doubt just looks sad...

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
5. Tool: Aenima

This album got me into rock music. I seriously had no musical direction until a friend lent me this in high school, about 6 years after it even came out. It amazed me that such a popular band could hide behind artwork, distorted vocals, and awesome musicianship.

4. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

I can't believe no one has mentioned Smashing Pumpkins. This album seriously embodies every emotion possible. Compare the gushy harp-laden love poem that is Cupid de Locke to the very brutal XYU, a song about an emotionally distraught girl suffering from abuse and rape ("I wanna rape you / I wanna fill you up"). Yes, both on the same album! 1979, Zero, and Bullet with Butterfly Wings were all huge singles. I'm a sucker for double albums because you can tell the band poured every last joule into it... too much for the Smashing Pumpkins though; they could just not follow this up. Adore is fantastic but Billy Corgan really went off-the-deep-end-axl-rose after this.

3. Failure - Fantastic Planet

Seriously, the most unknown and unappreciated band of all time. This is a mid 90's cult... and i mean cult... classic. It was also their swan song after only 2 previous albums. To give you an idea about the sound, it has that early 90's grunge alternative tone but with tons of spacey effects and ambient vocals and such. A Perfect Circle covered their song "The Nurse Who Loved Me," a tale of an addict suffering a delusion of his nurse's nurturing behavior being her exclusive love for him ("She acts just like a nurse with all the other guys"). I personally like Failure's version the best; it is so beautiful and inspiring, despite the subject matter.

2. Rage Against the Machine

I get chills up my spine just thinking about this one. Seriously, this album kills from start to finish without relenting. My mood lightens quite a bit when I hear this. This is probably Zack's most emotional work (see Settle for Nothing). On any album, a killer final track is vital for perfection, and Freedom is my all time favorite ending track ("Freedom! Yeah! Freedom! Yeeeaaaaaahhhhh Riiiiiigggggghhht!!!").

1. 311 - Soundsystem

This album is seriously incredible. Featured two popular singles, Come Original and Flowing. It builds upon their funk/reggae/rock sound and adds a bit of metal to the mix. This is by far their heaviest work, especially the last two tracks, Mindspin and Living and Rocking. It still retains a lot of their old school rapping, and Nick Hexum's vocals are best on this gem.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
In no particular order:

Wutang Clan -Enter the Wutang
Wutang is so good, people who don't think they like rap should check them out and ee whether they still feel the same way.

Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie disc 2
Disc one is pretty lame, even though it has a lot of their more popular songs. Disc 2 flows perfectly, each song sounds like it is meant to be in its place exactly as it is in order to complement the other songs. Very few groups manage to do this on their albums.

Patti Smith- Horses

Horses is a masterpiece. Patti Smith blends music and poetry and the result is music that is perfect. There is no flaw, every sound is intended, every pitch every sound every waver in tone is intended to bring out the emotional impact of the music.

The breeders- Title T.K

Kim Deal is biggest name in punk rock period Title T.K is a masterwork created using the allwave philosophy. This album is one of the greatest punk rock creations ever.

The Clash- Self-Titled U.K (The Clash)
The Clash was maybe the most important punk band of all time excepting the Breeders. This was their debut album and it contains many great punk songs.

Its hard to keep it to five so I'm going to give some honorable mentions:

Funeral- The Arcade Fire
Late registration- Kanye West
American Beauty- The Grateful Dead
Radiohead- The Bends

in no order...

Moving Pictures - Rush
Machine Head - Deep Purple
Full Circle - Creed
Hemispheres - Rush
Damn Yankees - Damn Yankees
Back In Black - ACDC
The Baddest of George Thorogood - George Thorogood and the Destroyers
The Best of UFO - UFO
Deguello - ZZ Top
Best of Van Halen Volume 1 - Van Halen
2112 - Rush
Permanent Waves - Rush
Who's Next - The Who

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)