New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

Gengar @ toxic orb
Timid, 252spa/252spe/4hp
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Trick
Substitute

An idea i've been toying with for awhile now but I haven't got around to testing. The toxic orb doesn't activate and feigns life orb. You sub on the switch and trick a special wall, giving it unavoidable toxic while stealing lefties. This also circumvents natural cure. Ball for stab and blast for perfect coverage. I absolutely despise focus blast, but it kills heatran and 2HKOs scizor (this only works if it pursuits, and you can switch if it punches).

The main idea is to remove blissey from the equation as Gengar lures her like flies on crap. Its just unfortunate that snorlax gets immunity.

Gengar @ toxic orb
Timid, 252spa/252spe/4hp
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Trick
Substitute

An idea i've been toying with for awhile now but I haven't got around to testing. The toxic orb doesn't activate and feigns life orb. You sub on the switch and trick a special wall, giving it unavoidable toxic while stealing lefties. This also circumvents natural cure. Ball for stab and blast for perfect coverage. I absolutely despise focus blast, but it kills heatran and 2HKOs scizor (this only works if it pursuits, and you can switch if it punches).

The main idea is to remove blissey from the equation as Gengar lures her like flies on crap. Its just unfortunate that snorlax gets immunity.
This is an interesting idea. It's similar to the Substitute set on the Analysis, but gives up coverage (esp. against Scizor) for the ability to deal with special walls.

No one uses Immunity on Snorlax, so you don't need to worry about that. Gengar really needs Aura Sphere. I hate Focus Blast, too.

Gengar@Petaya Berry
Levitate
Timid, 12 hp 252 Spe, 240 SpA
Substitute
Curse
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

The hp EVs are for the Petaya Berry activation, the rest are pumped into speed and SpA -- I figured max speed is more important, especially if I can get the special attack boost.

Gengar can use its immunities to switch in, ideally on a choiced set and set up a sub on the switch. Curse is useful in certain situations, when you're sure to outspeed (so after they break your sub you aren't in danger of being hit), you can Curse and activate the Petaya berry to set up the KO. Curse will lower their hp by 25% initially, so you should be able to do 75% to most things after a special attack boost, or at worst 50% and take them down with you if they stay in.

This set can actually give Blissey some problems, since after the SpA boost, Focus Blast does approximately 50% (I'm not sure which Bliss set this is against, but it'll do a chunk to any set), and with the Curse damage as well Bliss can only hope to survive if you don't hit with 2 Focus Blasts in a row. It works especially well if Bliss only runs Seismic Toss, since you wall it.

Tyranitar and Scizor can be problematic, but if you can get the Petaya Berry off then you should be able to OHKO Ttar with Focus Blast, and if Scizor has taken some residual damage you can take it out.

Curse is also useful for forcing a switch or wall breaking something like a Suicune with a few Calm Minds, since Rest doesn't cure Curse, and can even be used as a sacrifice to try to weaken or take something down that is giving you lots of problems.

It is kind of a novelty set and isn't always that useful, but if you eliminate its counters it can sweep pretty well, or at least open holes in the opposing team if you bring it out early.

I would rather try it with pain split. That way I can sub down, pain split my HP back up after Petaya, and have more Subs to block incoming TWaves and such.

I did try a similar Gengar set with curse: something like Substitute, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Curse/Perish Song. I would also run a Substitute Dugtrio, making for a free kill. It did kind of ask for Skarmory/Forretress to come in and spike on me so I stopped using it.

Here's a set that I've been using, with some success...

Infernape@Focus Sash
Ability:Blaze
Evs: 196 Spe 252 SpA 60 HP
-Nasty Plot
-Grass Knot
-Vacuum Wave
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast

I've been rebuked for using a FS on a non-lead ape, however, I have used this to my advantage. With FS, at least one NP is guaranteed bar priority moves, and thus allowing for an Infernape sweep. This is a variation of the NP Ape set, however, there is no Close COmbat, which means that this set is completely walled by Blissey, however, it is not meant to go against the fat pink blob. With a combination of GK, Vacuum Wave for priority, and Flamethrower/Fire Blast for STAB, this set has the potential to sweep anything that doesn't outspeed it after a single NP. 196 Spe Evs are to out run opposing Infernape, specifically Fake Out leads that don't die (Vacuum Wave hits first because this Ape is faster), assuming they don't employ max speed. NP covers the power loss from Life Orb anyway so I thought it would be interesting to give this set a try, and it has worked surprisingly well. And after maxing SpA, which has happened on occasions, it deals a surprising 40-50% on the standard Blissey (factoring in SR).

Comments? Criticism? Gladly accepted :)

Hmm, I posted this awhile ago but I'll post it again since no one really responded to it.

Machamp @ Flame Orb
Adamant
252 Att/252 Spe/4 HP
Guts
Low Kick
Facade
Payback
Stone Edge/Ice Punch
This Machamp serves as a Flame Orb + Guts set. Machamp has Low Kick since Machamp doesn't have No Guard and Close Combat doesn't work with Machamp's bulkiness. Machamp has facade for obvious reason, Payback to kill ghosts like Gengar or Rotom-A, and Stone Edge for flying types, Ice Punch serving almost identical purposes. So far this Machamp hasn't really disappointed me and works pretty well... any changes to make this Machamp better?

in fact i would run thunder and ice punch instead of ice punch and stone edge, you hit gyara, mence and gliscor all for the ohko.

close combat, t-punch, ice punch and payback cover almost the entire OU tier in a way or another, but just to make sure, you should ev to outspeed 8 speed scizor so that you ohko him with CC before a random u-turn.

Metagross@Choice Scarf
Jolly
72 HP/252 Atk/ 184 Spe
-Meteor Mash
-Thunderpunch
-Earthquake
-Explosion

Another alternative sperad for an offensive choice scarf Metagross. The EV spread listed the analysis page for Metagross has a spread of 80/252/176 in HP, attack and speed respectively as an alternative. This made no sense to me since the given EV's still allow Azelf to wipe the floor with Metagross via Fireblast while Metagross fails to OHKO making outspeeding it pointless unless you choose to explode. Starmie, regardless of being 2HKO'ed does a crapload of damage to Metagross with the 80HP spread and at the same time fails to outspeed a Jolly Tyraniscarf.

With the suggested EV spread, Tyranitar has a 46.34% chance of being OHKO'ed by Meteor Mash and will always be 2HKO'ed by both MM and Earthquake while it can only take out around 56-66% of your HP with an Earthquake.

Discuss, comment, did I make any mistakes O.o?

Bulk Up Gallade

Gallade @ Lum Berry (or Lefties but after some haxxy burns I went with lum. DP gives you recovery enough)

Adamant (adds to his massive base attackign power and helps the usefullness of Bulk Up)
252 HP
104 Defense
152 SDef

Enough Defense to get off a Bulk Up and start gaining defenses. The SDef serves to provide a way to switch in with his large base 115 SDef stat.

Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Stone Edge/Ice Punch
Night Slash/TPunch

If you worry about Gliscor and Gyara, go with the elemental punches. If you worry about Zapdos, like hitting hard with Stone Edge, and have potential Rotom issues, use the first two options. I like the first two because Gliscor doesn't really hurt you with a bulp up or two, and Stone Edge does some heavy damage. Plus I hate Rotom.

Bulk Up on weaker stuff, or, as I do, give him some Will-o-wisp support. Lots of pokes learn it, I suggest Spiritomb or Mismagius or Heatran. This halves the other guys attack, giving you an awesome chance to get some Bulk Ups in, and then gain any lost HP with some STAB Drain Punching.

If you have major Machamp issues, Psycho Cut is a nice STAB option, and Leaf Blade takes out Suicune and Vaporeon...man does this guy suffer from 4-slot syndrome!

I mentioned this in another thread, but here I can really show off the glory of...

SubTress @ Life Orb
Impish/Relaxed, 252Atk, 252HP, 4SpD
Substitute
Explosion
Earthquake
Payback/Gyro Ball

This thing looks bad at first, and shouldn't see use on most teams, but it fits nicely on my explosion team. It's simple: bring it in on a blind switch, and use the appropriate move, Explosion as the default. If you're feeling conservative, and they have a weak physical attacker, feel free to sub. Magnezone, Heatran and HeatproofZong (yes, they exist) die easily to Earthquake; Rotom and fellow ghosts won't like Payback too much; and you can go out in a blaze of glory against anything else. Skarmory totally walls this, but Heatran and Magnezone make great companions for this set.

Impish and Relaxed make good use of that 140 base Def, max Attack for max damage, and max HP to help Forretress buffer whatever hits it takes. Life Orb is the perfect item, since it shouldn't be subbing multiple times, and is destined to die anyway, so trading HP for power isn't a big deal. Gyro Ball is an option, but the only thing it hits is Aerodactyl, so Payback is more useful.

Pokemon Name: Tyranitar
Moveset Name: TyraniTANK
Move 1: Roar
Move 2: Crunch / Payback
Move 3: Fire Blast / Fire Punch
Move 4: Rest
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature(s): Sassy, Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 94 Defense / 140 Sp. Defence / 24 Speed

What I have here is the next great special wall. I have been using this for months, and is nothing but effective. It's stats at level 100: 404 HP, 279 Def, 298 Sp Def (447 in Sandstorm), 147 Speed, if you choose to use Sassy. I choose to use Sassy over Careful, because with Sassy you can use Fire Blast effectively to hit Skarmory and Forretress for more damage over Fire Punch.

0 SpA Fire Blast vs. 252 HP 0 Sp. Def Skarmory - 66.5% - 78.4%
0 SpA Fire Blast vs. 252 HP 0 Sp. Def Forretress - 141.2% - 167.2% (OHKO every time)

With a Sassy nature, 24 speed evs are needed to outspeed the standard Blissey, which stands no chance against this TyraniTANK. Blissey can't dent this Tyranitar with anything except Seismic Toss or Toxic. When Blissey uses those moves to rack up damage, Rest is there to restore any lost HP. It is wise to pair this Tyranitar up with a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user. If you choose to leave the 24 Speed evs out, then Payback is the better option for this Tyranitar, but Crunch's defence drops are most welcome.

With Crunch, TyraniTANK becomes the ultimate Latias wall. It can take ANY of Latias's unboosted hits easily, as even Surf will do pitiful amounts of damage. This Tyranitar has no problems switching into a Latias and hitting back with a Super effective Crunch, which also does loads of damage to Celebi.

Timid 252 SpA Surf vs. TyraniTANK - 24.3% - 28.7%
Timid 252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. TyraniTANK - 26.73% - 31.44%

Roar, the icing on the cake. Roar makes this set all the more effective. It can Roar out all types of Special Sweepers, walls and so forth, because he can take a hit. With Stealth Rock support, this Tyranitar is a living hell for the opponent.

I was playing Suspect and looking for a good Encore user when I came across this (also usable in OU):

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Nature / Ability: Timid / Chlorophyll
EVs: 188 Def / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Encore
~ Leech Seed
~ Substitute
~ Hidden Power Flying/Aerial Ace (with Jolly nature)

This set is almost the same as the SubSeed set on the Analysis. However, the way this set plays is a little different. While the analysis suggests the option of scrapping Encore for Aerial Ace, this set opts to give up Sleep Powder for Hidden Power Flying instead. Sleep Powder is limited by Sleep Clause, and only has 75% accuracy. HP Flying does a surprisingly large amount of damage against many Fighting and Grass types, even without any EV investment. By using HP Flying instead of Sleep Powder, Jumpluff gains the ability to counter a few Fighting type Pokemon and finds a niche as one of the best SubSeeders and Encore users in the game.

Thanks to Jumpluff's Ground immunity, 4x resist to Grass, resistances to Fighting and Water, and relative bulk, it has a fairly easy time switching into attacks. From there, you have the option of Encoring their useless move or Substituting. People are often surprised to see a NU Pokemon in OU and forget that Jumpluff is one of the fastest Encore users and get locked into Substitute or Earthquake, giving Jumpluff a free setup.

Aerial Ace is listed as another option for dealing with Grass Pokemon who are more specially defensive, like Roserade. You can still put the hurt on popular Fighting types, but the problem lies in the fact that Pokemon like Shaymin and Roserade tend to carry HP Ice or Fire specifically to deal with other Grass types, so it usually isn't worth it to stay in.

As a SubSeeder, Jumpluff naturally tears through Stall. Blissey only does 39.2%-46.7% with Flamethrower and Jumpluff loves the amount of HP it gets to drain. Encore means free switch ins on predicted Subs, Calm Minds, Curses, and Stockpiles. Outside of regular SubSeed duties, this set completely counters both the popular SubSeed and SubPunch Breloom sets, as long as you have something to absorb the Sleep (preferably something that can outspeed Breloom and survive a Focus Punch, in case it decides to Sub). It can even switch into a Grass Knot or Close Combat from Infernape and Encore or Aerial Ace, respectively. You may want to throw a few EVs into SpA for that, though.

Hidden Power vs. SubSeed Breloom: 87.5%-105%
Hidden Power vs. SubPunch Breloom: 1HKO
Hidden Power vs. 0/0 Heracross: 65.1-77.1%
+1 Adamant 252 Atk EVs Heracross's Close Combat vs. Jumpluff: 56.7%-67%
Hidden Power vs. 0/0 -1 Heracross: 1HKO
Naive 252 Atk EVs Life Orb Infernape's Close Combat vs. Jumpluff: 39.5%-46.7%
Hidden Power vs. -1 0/0 Naive Infernape: 70.3-84% <- a 52.6% chance of a 1hko after Stealth Rock and LO recoil; also keep in mind that Infernape rarely gets a switch in unharmed.

Heatran is the perfect partner for this Jumpluff, as it lures Ground, Fighting, Water attacks while providing resists to Fire and Ice attacks, and deals with the fellow Grass types that give it trouble with Fire Blast. Swampert and other Bulky Waters are also good to pair with this Jumpluff, as they lures Grass Knots and resists incoming Fire attacks from faster Pokemon. Jumpluff also benefits greatly from Stealth Rock support. Liquid Ooze Tentacruel is also a problem for Jumpluff, so make sure you have something to deal with that.

SubSeed is fairly rare in OU thanks to the offensive nature of the metagame, but this set worked pretty well when I was laddering on my test account with a rating around 1300. If Salamence gets banned, this set will become even more powerful, due to an increase in the use of Fighting types.

New lead Smeargle, I think, but this one is specifically designed to be used in the battle tower, not so much competitive battling, but you can try it there too if you want.

Smeargle
Bold
Own Tempo
Leftovers
EV's-252 Def/252 SpD/4HP
Moves-Spore, cosmic power, substitute, baton pass

Idea is to spore the pokemon on the first turn then substitute the 2nd turn and then cosmic power till they wake up then baton pass boosted defenses to a sweeper to make a really bulky sweeper and make it a lot easier to set up, especially if you are able to pass a Sub or if you're sweeper knows Sub as the boosted defenses will make it very difficult to break it. If you want to get cute you can cosmic power till you think they will wake up and try to predict spore so when they wake up you put them right back to sleep and hopefully they don't break you're sub since you'll have boosted defenses, then you'll be able to cosmic power more and baton pass more defenses and hopefully a Sub too.

I tried out that Smeargle in the Battle Tower in Diamond and found that it works decently, provided that the opponent's lead can't outspeed OHKO you and they don't get random crit or other hax. I'd recommend changing the nature of the Smeargle to Jolly so that it can outspeed more Pokemon and changing the EVs to 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed for the same reason. It seems like a good Pokemon to use; just make sure that the Pokemon you Pass to has a good movepool and no 4x weakness.

I haven't tried that Smeargle on Shoddy, but I don't think it will work too well. The opponent can always switch out to something else after you Spore, limiting you to one Cosmic Power or a Sub. Even then, a lot of things can OHKO Smeargle before it Passes.

I would honestly run that in tandem with a Pokemon like Macho Brace Trick Bronzong, I might have to test that set because it looks pretty neat. If you can Trick your Macho Brace to the opponent, your Smeargle will be faster (and can thus pour EV's into defenses), and hit them with Spore before they can do anything. Boost away and pass, although I'm not sure what a good candidate would be (Nasty Plot Mismagius seems pretty good).

I've been playing around to some success with a late game sweeper gallade. Originally this set was created in reaction to the rising amount of Machamp leads, my team's issues with swampert and suicune, and Blissey nightmares.

Gallade @ Life Orb
4HP/252 ATK/252 Spe
Jolly
-Leaf Blade
-Psycho Cut
-Shadow Sneak
-Close Combat

Gallade's bulkyness to special attacks allows him to come in on Suicune/Vaporeon/Swampert easily and proceed to leaf blade them. Upon seeing the move, it normally forces a switch allowing for significant damage with either Close Combat or Psycho Cut depending on remaining pokemon. With one or two unknown, I find Close Combat to be a safer bet. This set can also revenge kill starmie, mix-ape, machamp, and weakened gengar.

The obvious concern is Skarmory walling this set. One can opt for thunder or fire punch if your team has trouble with skarm/gyarados/forretress instead of psycho cut. Togekiss to some extent also causes headaches to this set but doesn't like taking Close Combats/Psycho Cuts to the face.

Overall good solution to Blissey/Bulky Water/Fighting problems.

Jirachi
Anti Lead

-Thunder-Wave
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-Stealth Rock

@ Occa Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 hp/252 atk/252spd

This is a very good anti lead. it is able to keep many great leads in check with it's pretty good bulk, great typing, and very annoying ability. Also is very helpful endgame in spreading paralysis and on common threats such as scizor.

vs top 10 leads

1) Azelf will usually use flame thrower or fire blast so t-wave then set up steath rock, then either switch or iron head
2) Aerodactyl same as azelf
3) Swampert set up Steath rock and switch
4) Metagross t-wave then steath rock then switch
5) Machamp either iron head or switch
6) Jirachi t-wave, stealth rock, then switch
7) Infernape t wave, stealth rock, then switch
8) Ninjask stealth rock then predict the pass and wave the recipient
9) Tyranitar thunder-wave, stealth rock iron head.
10) Heatran only loses to specs other wise t-wave then rocks.

1) Azelf probably Taunts you...
2) Aero will either Taunt you or SR, so the best option would be to Iron head it
8) Ninjask probably gets a sub up when you SR then passes it to whoever it's going to.

2) Aero will either Taunt you or SR, so the best option would be to Iron head it
8) Ninjask probably gets a sub up when you SR then passes it to whoever it's going to.
There's a good chance all of them will run at the first sight of lead Jirachi because they fear the Choice Scarf version. Overall it seems like a good lead.

I've been running a double status bulky Dragonite.

Dragonite@Leftovers
Inner Focus
Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Dragon Claw
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Roost

I pretty much stole the cleric set and took out Heal Bell and put both status inducing moves, so it's not really all that creative/original but the idea behind the set is quite different than the heal bell one, since it isn't a cleric but rather a status spreader / special tank.

It doesn't really like being statused itself so I'd suggest running a Natural Cure mon alongside it.

Pokemon Name: Tyranitar
Moveset Name: TyraniTANK
Move 1: Roar
Move 2: Crunch / Payback
Move 3: Fire Blast / Fire Punch
Move 4: Rest
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature(s): Sassy, Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 94 Defense / 140 Sp. Defence / 24 Speed

What I have here is the next great special wall. I have been using this for months, and is nothing but effective. It's stats at level 100: 404 HP, 279 Def, 298 Sp Def (447 in Sandstorm), 147 Speed, if you choose to use Sassy. I choose to use Sassy over Careful, because with Sassy you can use Fire Blast effectively to hit Skarmory and Forretress for more damage over Fire Punch.

0 SpA Fire Blast vs. 252 HP 0 Sp. Def Skarmory - 66.5% - 78.4%
0 SpA Fire Blast vs. 252 HP 0 Sp. Def Forretress - 141.2% - 167.2% (OHKO every time)

With a Sassy nature, 24 speed evs are needed to outspeed the standard Blissey, which stands no chance against this TyraniTANK. Blissey can't dent this Tyranitar with anything except Seismic Toss or Toxic. When Blissey uses those moves to rack up damage, Rest is there to restore any lost HP. It is wise to pair this Tyranitar up with a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user. If you choose to leave the 24 Speed evs out, then Payback is the better option for this Tyranitar, but Crunch's defence drops are most welcome.

With Crunch, TyraniTANK becomes the ultimate Latias wall. It can take ANY of Latias's unboosted hits easily, as even Surf will do pitiful amounts of damage. This Tyranitar has no problems switching into a Latias and hitting back with a Super effective Crunch, which also does loads of damage to Celebi.

Timid 252 SpA Surf vs. TyraniTANK - 24.3% - 28.7%
Timid 252 SpA Draco Meteor vs. TyraniTANK - 26.73% - 31.44%

Roar, the icing on the cake. Roar makes this set all the more effective. It can Roar out all types of Special Sweepers, walls and so forth, because he can take a hit. With Stealth Rock support, this Tyranitar is a living hell for the opponent.
You might be able to get away with Flamethrower over Fire Blast:

0 SpA Flamethrower vs. 252 HP 0 Sp. Def Skarmory - 52.7% - 62.3% (still probable 2HKO after leftovers)
0 SpA Flamethrower vs. 252 HP 0 Sp. Def Forretress - 111.9% - 132.2% (OHKO every time for real with no misses)

trust me aero/azelf do not taunt you because they think OH GOD SCARF LEAD and just lay stealth rock while you para them.

Pressure Stall Dusknoir

Here's a set I came up with that has been bringing me some success recently.

Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31 / * / 31 / 31 / 31 / *
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpDef
Moveset: Calm Mind / Ice Beam / Rest / Curse​

This guy is for late game when you have removed all of your opponents suspected Taunters.

Why would I want to bother raising Dusknoir's base 65 SpAtk, you might ask. Well, the SpAtk boost is nothing more than novelty. The important part of the Calm Mind is to boost the SpDef. After 1 Calm mind, Ice Beam can take out all versions of Salamence and survive the Life Orbed Outrage with pleanty of HP to spare afterwords.

Rest is there to heal after Curse, which is there to take out bulky Waters and Steels. You shoud be able to survive the two turns of sleep versus anything not named Weavile, but Weavile should have been taken out of the game by then anyways, as I would naturally suspect it to be carrying Taunt.

All of that stuff is pretty much novelty, as well, since the idea is to stall via Pressure. While Resting up, your opponent is firing off whatever it will do, while you are stat boosting the SpDef and making your opponent BEG for a critical hit.

Anything at (or after) +2 Calm Mind means loosing half of your HP using Curse does next to nothing when you can Rest back your HP, and more than survive the two turns you're taking a nap.

Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31 / * / 31 / 31 / 31 / *
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpDef
Moveset: Calm Mind / Ice Beam / Rest / Curse​
A creative set nonetheless. Perhaps you can try to make a free moveslot for Mean Look. Cursed pokemon can't switch out this way and you can set up on them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)