Tourettes Syndrome

Hmmm... well the best thing you can do is bring it up with your counselor, or speech therapist, and tell them that you want this fixed - they are required to fix it how you would like it to be by law, for your success.

Ah, ok, I can see how some of those tics may be a bit annoying at times. However, you do have to realize, kids will be kids, and the good thing is, as you grow up (I'm not sure if your in high school yet) there will be less bullies. Literally, the bullies will like disappear overnight. And once they disappear, ticking won't be so bad. However, you are going to have to fix the kicking, hitting other people and cussing. I understand why one has the emotion of kicking or hitting, indeed, it can get so frustrating when someone is just 'asking for it', but you've gotta realize that it doesn't make things any better. One way my psychologist reccomends getting over bits of irritation like that is to every time one would kick, hit, or use a 'bite-like' response, to wait 10 seconds, counting them in your head, before responding. It really works for me, but yah, I hope it will work for you.

As for the cussing, that's a bit more difficult. One way that might be able to help is hanging around people who don't cuss much (although those are rare these days), that way, you don't find your mind drifting off that way towards cussing. Another way (if your religious) is to spend more time at church and gain a testimony, and at that point, every time you want to cuss, confront it with the fact that God doesn't want you to. I'll try to think of some more ways... but yah.

Yah, I have a feeling that having DBS might make you feel a bit different, and you might not like it. I think you'll notice how Tourette's sorta alters the way you think about life, and you kinda lose it if you don't have Tourette's anymore. But from what your telling me, your case is a bit more serious than mine, so you might need it, I dunno. The medication looks like it's doing it's job well, but it will be hard to get that much sleep in the future... hmmmm.... has your doctor tried Clonidine? That's what I'm on... not quite as long with the sleeping hours, but it's probably less potent. I dunno. Still, so much sleep is like what I would consider 'lucky' :naughty:.

However, the main thing that will help with your tics is simply not getting stressed. I take an anti-depressant (more like a neutralizer, I'm never really depressed really, it just neutrals out my mood) and it somewhat reduces that, but it was for something else, it just happened to 'work' here in this case. But yah... I dunno... so many options....

I don't kick or hit because "someone is asking for it",I do it because my arms and legs HAVE to move like that.As for cussing,it isn't like that.If I hear a word or see one or one crosses my mind,I HAVE to say it.I once said french fries for two days just because I went to McDonalds.I have a few seconds warning before it comes out,but other then that almost no control,especially on a bad day.

Ah ok, wasn't sure, because there can often be two types of reactions, one is that uncontrolled one, like you have, the other is the type due to irritation, which I had a long time ago.

Well, in that case, the only real way to stop it I have found is mind-blocking, that is, the moment it crosses your mind thinking the exact opposite thing, so for example, when your mind is trying to think "darn you", you think "ah, well this person is nice in X, Y, and Z ways". You try to counter-produce feelings, and eventually, it will turn into instinct that whenever you come across those specific words, you will end up not saying them, and instead thinking about how the person or thing in terms is helpful instead.

So, instead of French Fries, think "Veggies are so sweet, and juicy, and delicious... mmmmm......" That hopefully will help somewhat. One can also try to replace one's tics with something less... interfering. For example, replacing cussing with twiddling one's thumbs repetitively or sniffing (although that too can get bad after a time, one's nose get's rlly irritated).

And of course, the best thing, not stressing ;-). That is the key to no tics. Chillaxing =D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)