Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I have a question

The rule specify that if both trainers' Pokemon faint due to weather or such, the match is a tie -- what happens in the event of a tie?

Also, what happens in the event of the weather glitch? (especially if it causes the game to freeze like with Castform)

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey I have a question

The rule specify that if both trainers' Pokemon faint due to weather or such, the match is a tie -- what happens in the event of a tie?

Also, what happens in the event of the weather glitch? (especially if it causes the game to freeze like with Castform)
If it's a tie, both people are DQed according to the rules. If it's near the end, I'm guessing they'd probably make an exception if one person was willing to concede -- having a bye near the end makes for bad entertainment for the crowds >_>

And I'm pretty sure(hopeful at least) that the weather glitches were fixed in HGSS, and are part of the reason that HGSS is required to play. That's a complete guess, though, feel free to confirm or refute that statement if you are sure about it, anybody else :o

Hey I have a question

As per the rules on PokemonVGC.com:
(http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/pdf/regulations/2010 VGC Regional Tournament Operation.pdf)
PokemonVGC.com said:
If a tie occurs during the Preliminary rounds, both players will be considered the loser of that game and will be eliminated from the event. If a tie occurs during the Elimination rounds, a single game will be played to determine the winner of that match, using the Sudden Death rules outlined below.

Sudden Death
Players will be required to gain an advantage in number of remaining Pokémon over their opponent. The staff will evaluate the game at the end of each turn to determine if an advantage has been gained. After each turn has completed, the tournament staff will determine the number of Pokémon that each player has remaining.
-If both players have the same number of Pokémon remaining at the end of the turn, the game continues for another turn.
-If a player has more remaining Pokémon than his or her opponent at the end of any turn, that player wins the game.
So basicly, if you got a tie before the finalist lounge - you both lose.
If you get a tie AFTER the finalist lounge - Sudden Death.

And the weather glitches where said to be fixed in the latest versions of the game.

Weather glitches were not fixed for HGSS. I run a hail team in singles play often enough to trigger it on occasion.

I suspect that you would simply have to play through the match if the glitch is triggered. No idea how it would be called if Castform/Cherrim screwed things up though. I also suspect that the glitch will not be triggered often, if at all, as a Pursuit KO is rare in this format.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression (from the VGC National guidelines) that swiss is not best 2 of 3 right? I've been told that it is, just want to make sure.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression (from the VGC National guidelines) that swiss is not best 2 of 3 right? I've been told that it is, just want to make sure.
The swiss portion is single elimination. The top 16 matches are best 2 of 3 and are not swiss.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I think by "Single Elimination" you mean "Single Matches". You still continue if you lose.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
I think by "Single Elimination" you mean "Single Matches". You still continue if you lose.
Yeah. I meant that each win/loss for swiss is decided by a single match, instead of it being five sets of best of 3.

I'm still fairly new to the competitive Pokemon scene - where should I look if I wanted to see the teams used by the VGC winners, either this year or in the past?

I've tried numerous Google searches, but my results are either TCG deck lists, or people posting RMT threads for their VGC teams.

Thanks!

Well, you can always check the warstories of the winners who posted them. They have their teams in there.

Other than that, unless they have manually outlined their teams somewhere else, you won't get the exact details. You can watch the finals matches in which they used their teams, but you won't get EVs, IVs, and all of that just from watching a battle.

just in case i do find a way to get to nationals, do i have to use my same team or can i create a new team for nationals?

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In case any of the top 4 winners is willing to sell their DSi, I might be interested. We were hoping to get top 4 yesterday but unfortunately that did not happen.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
In case any of the top 4 winners is willing to sell their DSi, I might be interested. We were hoping to get top 4 yesterday but unfortunately that did not happen.
Amato might be. I'm not, however. You're aware it's a plain white DSi, not a DSiXL or a customized DSi like they gave away at Worlds, right?

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
I'm still fairly new to the competitive Pokemon scene - where should I look if I wanted to see the teams used by the VGC winners, either this year or in the past?

I've tried numerous Google searches, but my results are either TCG deck lists, or people posting RMT threads for their VGC teams.

Thanks!
If you go to www.pokemonvgc.com and read the articles about the VGC Regionals, you will see that they have posted the winning person's team.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hey for indianapolis, would you say this is inappropriate, or inappropriate enough to get in trouble with the staff?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Dude. If they allow some fat hairy dude to wear a tight TR Jesse outfit...

yeah I think that shirt'll be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)