Votes: 6 7.7%
  • R S E FR LG

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Despite the difficulty and length of the theme, all sprites were of a high quality, so please keep participating! Now to stop mincing words and get to the bit you've all been waiting for!

------

The Finalists

Suntt123
Score: 31 Points
Jumpluff said:
5 - Suntt123

Impressive progress from 1 - 4 here. You picked two well-fitting sprites, from both style and colour, and the Beedrill and Butterfree version retains the same feeling. Absolutely seamless, and while the repose was fairly simple, I can't fault you for that -- after all, you did it perfectly, and an animated version of that would rule. Your fourth sprite is pretty good, but I feel a lack of contrast lets you down a bit, since to the naked eye it looks flat until you scrutinise it. Some dithering might've been nice on the wings. Good job, though!
Alchemator said:
7 - Suntt123

Great concept, great execution. I especially like the wasp colouration of the retype/repose - a surprisingly new take on a bug re-type! The antennae seem slightly off in the retype/repose though. However, great sprites overall!
Black Buddha said:
6 - Suntt123

The fusion is uhh, weird I guess. Partly because it doesnt make sense to see something like that with no legs whatsoever.. The retype is well done. The colouring patterns are excellent, and for once the wings are properly done! The repose is fine, no problems. The badass is pretty great as well, I think he was going for a Venom look or osmething, he's pulled it off.
Skymin_Flower said:
7 - Suntt123
Wyverii said:
6 - Suntt123

Pros: Nice comparison between Gligar's wings and that of Butterfree's during the bug retype along with consistant quality of work.

Cons: Repose is confusing to look at thanks to the position of the claw and the melding of the black colouration. The badass sprite's colours could use some tweaking too. Repose also doesn't go on from the previous sprites much.

Xilaa
Score: 28 Points
Jumpluff said:
7 - Xilaa

What I see here are four great sprites with excellent concepts. What I particularly love is the fantastic execution, though; the reposing is the best performance of them all. My only qualm with them is quite minor: the outline doesn't follow the entire tongue. I'm grasping at straws to find a good criticism, though :P Fantastic job, very seamless sprites.
Alchemator said:
6 - Xilaa

A refreshingly simple, well-executed set of sprites. The line art throughout is flawless, and choosing Flygon for a Dragon retype is often neglected, well done! However, the dithering in the mouth of the repose should probably have been removed - with a darker mouth colour it would be fine, but with it contrasts with the red - this defeats the point of dithering [to smooth the transition between colours and add texture]. A placing to be proud of!
Black Buddha said:
3 - Xilaa

A nice clean fusion although the halo is at an odd angle- maybe it should have been scratched? The retype isn't that convincing as a retype, looks more like a fusion with flygon or rather a recolour. The repose is ok, although the outlining on the "tongue" could be better. The badass version is truly badass, awesome touch with those greenie glowie thingies.
Skymin_Flower said:
5 - Xilaa
Wyverii said:
7 - Xilaa

Pros: Creative repose using Flygon parts and good retyping. Solid work all around for the most part.

Cons: Sadly the badass sprite suffers from the white spots that clash badly.

JarardoMartino
Score: 19 Points
Alchemator said:
5 - JarardoMartino

Solid concepts throughout, but some minor errors that knock this set of sprites down a few spots. While the color of Gligar's wings is blue, the reason that the colour scheme works is due to a distinct outline separating the two. With Elekid's lightning bolt, this is not present and as such presents a slightly bright contrast. The colour scheme is also the problem with the latter sprites - the colour contrast is slightly too much on such a small sprite. However, overall a great set of sprites!
Black Buddha said:
7 - JarardoMartino

I think this is the best fusion in this contest so far. The colours flow well, and JM has done a great job making the two sprites flow seamlessly into each other. The only gripe I have is that the stripes on Elekid's bellly are a bit overcontrasting, maybe a darker shade of blue should have been used, but its a minor thing. The retype is a simpe recolour, yet very effective in this case IMO. No complaints about the repose, although the arm dont look as seamless. The badass attempt is OK, but just making the arms thicker and increasing claw size isnt a whole lot of effort. The end result is still a great set of sprites.
Skymin_Flower said:
4 - JarardoMartino
Wyverii said:
3 - JarardoMartino

Pros: Subtle but nice looking fusion.

Cons: The typing of the retype is not obvious at all, colours are jarring and the sprite set's boring past the retype.

Alchemator
Score: 17 Points
Jumpluff said:
4 - Alchemator

Both fusions are great, Alch, though I don't really like the black ring around Azumarill's neck; Miltank's head shape doesn't really fit it. But you know, you still did a good job, and they look very good. Repose shadows are a bit off, and the evil one looks flat; removing the glint of the eye is a key detail that bothers me. The udders also don't tilt with the rest of the body in the repose. But good showing; your fusing is great and that shines through.
Alchemator said:
I didn't nominate myself. Don't go calling me corrupt y'hear? ;D
Black Buddha said:
2 - Alchemator

The fusion and retype are fairly well done, although the retype could have been more than a simple recolour. The repose is okay i guess, but the back looks weirdly distorted, and the linework on the arms is a bit.... sloppy.... The badass one is a simple recolour, and the red is not very eyepleasing. Shading is also lacking.
Skymin_Flower said:
6 - Alchemator
Wyverii said:
5 - Alchemator

Pros: Clean fusion and great idea for showing the normal typing. I like the idea of the coral parts becoming like antlers in the retyping.

Cons: Repose suffers from some proportion issues, particularly with the arms. The badass sprite has some poor colour choices.

R S E FR LG
Score: 15 Points
Jumpluff said:
6 - R S E FR LG

Your sprites show that small sprites can display great skill as well. Good concept, though I feel the bad-assified sprite smothers your original sprite. A nice way to incorporate the Metagross limbs without making your old sprite disappear perhaps would be to recolour them to fit with the rest of the sprite; the colours don't really fit. However, props for the repose and interesting idea!
Alchemator said:
4 - R S E FR LG

As with most of your sprites, perfect execution! While the concept may not be as extravagant and complicated as some of the other entries, the finesse is excellent for such small sprites. It was mainly the badass sprite that let the set down. I can really sympathise since mine is terrible, and there is no real definition of "badass" [subjective] but metagross arms seem to be rather cliched in sprites, and distort the proportions of the sprite. Nevertheless, a solid submission and a sturdy foundation from which to improve!
Black Buddha said:
1 - R S E FR LG

Fusion is alright, although looks a bit flat. Not much wrong with the next two, a decent job. The badass one is hilarious, although it seems a bit overdone with the legs. A good job overall though.
Skymin_Flower said:
3 - R S E FR LG
Wyverii said:
1 - R S E FR LG

Pros: Humorous and the typing is obvious.

Cons: Parts look tacked on.

-
-----

Those who didn't make it

In a competition as tough as this, only 5 can be chosen. Some great sprites are bound to be left out :< Take a gander at the judges' comments and see if you can spot a way to step up just that little bit higher into the top 5!

Hitmonchan
Score: 12 Points
Jumpluff said:
3 - Hitmonchan

What an interesting combination of Pokémon! While the features stick out a bit, they are seamlessly integrated into the actual sprite, with props to the well-done lifted wings. Erm, wing angle seems a bit off, especially since the beak is sort of biting into them :x Nice work, and I think it's very cute.
Alchemator said:
2 - Hitmonchan

REMORAIIDDDDD! But in all seriousness, an interesting concept! The basic fusion is donely almost flawless, just some subjective objections about the shape of the body behind the 'horn' but that really isn't anything to worry about. The retype is also fine (and an interesting route to take type-wise!) though the beak should be more on the nose of Remoraid. There should also be a more distinct outline surrounding it. With the repose, the wing should be above the leaf, not behind it! This can be solved by placing another wing on top of it, or scratching it over again. The legs should probably be further back on the badass too. Bearing some of these improvements in mind, this is a promising start! Be sure to keep entering! :D
Black Buddha said:
5 - Hitmonchan

Most humourous for sure. I love his take on this thing with the crazy flower bird thing. The fusion is great, although the lighting on leaves slightly contradicts the shading on the body. The retype as a flying type i think is done well on the whole, as is the repose. For the badass version, The leaves seem a bit crooked and the right wing could have been a darker tone. But it's a great set of sprites nonetheless.
Wyverii said:
2 - Hitmonchan

Pros: Humorous and the typing is obvious.

Cons: Parts look tacked on.

Dogfish44
Score: 12 Points
Jumpluff said:
1 - Dogfish44

Haha, fantastic concept. Very simple, but you did it well, if not entirely precisely. Could've used a ghostlier outline though for the Boo. Nice creativity. :D
Alchemator said:
3 - Dogfish44

Hehe BOO. Obviously I saw your thought processes and what was going through your mind as you created the sprites, and it is difficult to repose a blob. However, this is most likely due to picking a fusion that was just *too* basic. Otherwise, great concept (loving the King Boo). Please transparentise your sprites though, it's a pet peeve that irks me D:
Black Buddha said:
4 - Dogfish44

The original fusion could have been a bit more characterisitc, perhaps zubat ears maybe? The retype is good, although the outline on the top could be a bit more shaded, maybe use the darkest shade of grey as the light outline, thats a nice norm to follow. Same complaint about repose, but I like the general idea of it. King Boo is badass, so yeah.
Wyverii said:
4 - Dogfish44

Pros: Very creative idea all around. Simple but mostly clean.

Cons: Sprites should have more differences past the retype and Parts such as the tongue should be more consistant with the body in the outline.

CharizardKiller
Score: 5 Points
Jumpluff said:
2 - CharizardKiller

Nothing to fault with the execution here, except for the flames in the fourth sprite: on the top, they look messily scribbled. Still good work, though, and the spikes are very well included. You picked very appropriate Pokémon to fuse, and fuse well you did.
Alchemator said:
1 - CharizardKiller

A good concept and execution, but the vastness of Tyranitar's body is slightly plain - not with the 'holes' of the original to add texture. The left leg also seems to kink in slightly too much. Also, please transparentise your sprites xD it's one of my pet peeves. You can transparentise sprites here.
Black Buddha said:
0 - CharizardKiller

I find the fusion to be fairly bland, and the wings look out of place. The X is not shaded too well either, it seems to be poppip out of a fairly flat sprite. There should have been more shading on the front torso and legs. The retype is OK although it could have been made more flamely around the legs. The repose is ok, although it seems to have a longer neck. Inconssistencies oh shading of legs for those sprites bothers me. The final version is poorly done. The yellow bit seems flat, the flames on the head are poorly scratched and the legs are weird.
Skymin_Flower said:
2 - CharizardKiller

Infiltrator
Score: N/A

Infiltrator's entries were not included due to legality issues - The repose should have been of the retype, with the badass sprite being the repose of the retype (confusing huh?). This set was one of my personal favourites however, and Jumpluff also liked them. Please continue to enter, I see a lot of potential!

------

Honourable Mentions

Most Humorous
Hitmonchan

Most Original
Dogfish44

------

So there we have it - but who will you choose? Vote at the top of the thread, and post your comments here! [Please do not simply post "Voted for X" - Give reasoning! :D]

NOTE: DO NOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF

That be cheating! (Not everyone is as ruthless as you :P)

I voted for Xilaa's. The rest of the entries looked good for most of the 4 sprites, but one one seem confusing or flat. I think Xilaa's did the best job of keeping everything coherent and neat looking, while still looking great and well done.

Shame Infiltrator's didn't go through. I liked that set a lot.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Am I the only one who thinks the 1 rating compared to Jumpluff's comments on the King Boo is a little odd? At any rate, both of the ones that I liked didn't make it (Hitmonchan's as well).

Yeah, mine was bad I guess, but the robot arm's weren't supposed to be part of the body; they were supposed to be attachable, so the color shouldn't have changed (although I thought of doing it).

Anyways, I liked Suntt's the best. Xilla's was weird and the other two seemed to have weird shading.

EDIT: Alchemator, could you make the polls public from now on, because I want to know who voted for mine (it wasn't me, I swear).

I voted Xilaa cos I like the concept of his sprite.

Thanks for the C&C on my sprites judges. I'll take it on board for next time I enter the WSC.

Ok first of all, I like to say that the organisation of this week looks way better that the ones before. So I hope their will be many more week like this.
I really like that you can see the comments you get from the jugdes, because I participated many weeks, where I just couldn't figure out why i didn't make the poll...

I votedd for xilla, The fusion and retype and repose look good, The only thing i dislike is the badassversion... It just doens't make sense at all..

I voted for Xilaa as well, I love those sprites. But, as always, congratulations to all the finalists. And for the "ones the didn't make it", I love those sprites too :P Given the chance, I probably would have voted for Hitmonchan. That thing is just, as the surfers say, far out.

I vote for Suntt123. The retype and and recolor are both done very well, as well as the repose, and I prefer the choice of Gliscor as to the other Pokemon.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gaiz I think I can still win this! [lol]

I voted for Suntt, great creativity and well-executed - Xilaa's was a tad too simple for me but you can see yourself how close this voting is :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)