OU And UU Living In Perfect Harmony

Since I get a lot of help here from looking at stuff and I must admit, stolen a few teams from time to time because they look fun! This is a team I made a little while ago that actually works pretty well in the OU environment while still using some UU pokemon because I get so sick of using the same OU pokemon over and over again.

Bolded Represents Changes Made

So feel free to use it if you guys like and comment / make any suggestions you want and i'll take a look at them though I don't see myself changing much.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Ev's: 252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 hp
Nature:Jolly

Stealth Rock
Taunt
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Standard Suicide lead, Objective is to taunt (if needed) set up rocks then attack if I don't die of course. However this is especially needed on this team as a lot of its members rely on stealth rock for OHKO and 2HKO's they otherwise would not reach.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Ev's: 252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant

Extreme Speed
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Crunch

Standard SD set, This is the first part of my 3 pokemon Core. I come in on something I know I can force out SD up and begin my sweep. I do my best to save lucario for mid to late game so that his likelyhood of sweeping increases significantly.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Ev's: 252 Sp Att / 252 Speed / 4 Att
Nature: Naive

Fire Blast
Earth Power
Explosion
HP electric

I know it seems like an odd choice but I needed my IV's re-arranged and HP electric fit while still covering weaker waters hurt waters, and most importantly Gyarados. The rest are pretty self explainatory. FB because its the best stab move Heat gets and is boosted by flash fire if i can catch a W-o-W or other fire move. EP to take care of other heatrans and explosion to catch blissey or if i'm in bad shape late game just explode on anything to even the odds better to my favor before dying. The second part of my 3 pokemon core.

Flygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
Ev's: 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 HP
Nature:Adamant

U-turn
Outrage
Fire Blast
Earthquake

Yes its risky to run CB flygon set as its certainly not meant to be used like a mence. But I fell in love with flygon over mence and I love that Flygon gets U-turn where as mence does not. This is the third part of my core that forms my basic defense for this team. Don't underestimate Banded fly's Stab Outrage it hits crazy if you know your team doesn't have a resist or its mid to late game and don't mind getting locked in especially if you switch in after a KO like its a Scarfed revenger then knowing a switch is coming hit the incoming with a banded Outrage.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
Ev's: 252 SPA / 252 Speed / 4 Def
Nature:Timid

Spikes
Destiny Bond
Taunt
Ice Beam

Sort of a Mid-to-Early game spiker, I usually attempt to get up my rocks, go into something else to put some holes in the opponents team and when the pokemon creating holes dies or I feel I can switch in on a fighting move I swap in my froslass and Spike once then destiny bond or spike twice depending on the situation, and never swap into something faster than me if at all possible unless its a dragon I can ice beam for OHKO in return while focus sash saves me.

Lanturn @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Ev's: 156 Def / 100 Sp Att / 252 Sp Def
Nature: Calm

T-bolt
Ice Beam
Agility / Surf / Stockpile / Confuse Ray (Going to try all and see what I like best)
T-wave

You wouldn't believe how well this thing does on unprepared teams =) I usually bring it in first after my Aerodactyl dies if possible and if not I bring in heatran. We have Bolt Beam combo for immense coverage add in stabbed surf for good measure and then T-wave to help with troublesome pokemon such as scarfers or just to para hax people into allowing my pokemon to live longer.

Honestly it surprises me how many people T-bolt lanturn first thing forgetting about Volt Absorb giving me a free damage or T-wave turn. It can soak up special hits very well due to the investment in Sp. Def and its great base HP even though it has no form of self recovery. You want to keep it away from Ground attacks and Grass Attacks though especially from the physical side.

So now that you've seen everyone Lets go over the important thing, Synergy.

Aerodactyl Doesn't need synergy because its just supposed to suicide so im disqualifying its weaknesses.

3 Ground Weaknesses
2 Fire weakness
2 fighting weaknesses
1 Water weakness
1 ice weakness
1 grass weakness
1 ghost weakness
1 dark weakness
1 dragon weakness
1 rock weakness

Counting Aerodactly we have 3 ground Immunities
1 fire absorb 2 resists
1 fighting immunity
1 water resist
4 ice resists
2 grass resists
1 ghost resist possibly two (heat & Lucario)
and I'm not sure if this is true or not but i'm thinking one dark resist (lucario is half fighting)
2 dragon resists
1 bug resist
2 poison immunitys
1 poison resistance

So synergy wise I'm very synergized if I just always make the right calls.

I have So-Far only ran into ONE MAJOR pokemon that absolutely gives this party hell and that is Swampert. I have no grass attacks and it takes every single attack my whole team has very very well except Choice banded Outrage which 2HKO's I believe. So in order to not loose a pokemon killing it I absolutely must catch it coming in. Otherwise my only choice is to Explode on it w/ Heatran and finish it w/ an outrage from Flygon pending how much health it has left after the explosion. Or come in on it w/ Mismagius Sub up (Levitate so EQ can't hit me) and hope its ice beam can't break my sub in one turn while I Nasty Plot once or twice and sub back up then take it out.

So any suggestions anyone? I really don't feel there is a great deal of things that can be improved upon in this team without sticking in more OU pokemon.

and I'd be hugely grateful if anyone could point out if I have any other glaring weaknesses to certain pokemon aside from swampert.

So feel free to use it if you guys like and comment / make any suggestions you want and i'll take a look at them though I don't see myself changing much.
While I understand your position, you shouldn't start an RMT like this; especially considering that you're in the RMT section.

The team has trouble with Gyarados, be they BulkyGyara or Offensive. Bulky variants have more opportunities to come in on Flygon, Heatran and Lucario, however, set up a DD and proceed to sweep.

I would recommend leading with a Celebi(Lead Set). It complements Heatran excellently, sets up Stealth Rock rather quickly and patches up your Gyarados weakness as well as giving you something to contend with Swampert. Celebi is also a longer lasting member to the team. Don't worry too much about Pursuiting Tyranitar, Scizor and the Occasional Weavile, as they only allow Lucario a free Swords Dance.

Give Flygon a Choice Scarf over its Choice Band, it makes it harder for things such as DDTar, Agiligross and Gengar from stomping on you too much. Gengar is especially dangerous as it can stop you whole core's (Mismagius/Flygon/Lucario) attempts at sweeping, so swap out Lucario's Extremespeed for Bullet Punch.

I hesitate to replace Lucario with Scizor: It synchronizes with your team better. Rotom-A are beaten by Lanturn/Heatran, Gyarados by Celebi and Heatran/Zapdos by Lanturn as well, but causes you to wall more, a bad idea as your team lacks recovery.

Ok Denial, This is why I'm not afraid of even Bulky Gyara...as I really don't see it as a huge weakness to this team.

I almost ALWAYS get up SR gyara is weak to SR and takes 25% from it.

ScarfTran out speeds neutral natured gyara after +1 DD and his HP electric does 83.2% to 98.4% to even bulky Gyara so w/ stealth rock out its always a guaranteed force out or OHKO ...but lets say I didn't have it up. the most HP gyara would live with would be 23% (after left overs) and thats highly unlikely as it'd most likely be under 20% So I bring in lucario to Extreme speed minimum damage is 32.2% Bam. Gyara countered.

However...if I didn't want to do that I could just come in w/ Heat and Explode on gyara i believe the damage is around 98% to 113% a pretty likely OHKO without even needing to bring in lucario for the extreme speed.

Thats both assuming no SR in play. Which is unlikely I don't feel i'm gyara weak unless my heatran is gone...if it is gone and he gets up a DD I won't deny chances are I'm pretty fucked.

Also for any version *except* EQ offensive I also can death fodder a pokemon and come in w/ lanturn and take any gyarados hit without being ohko'd and t-bolt back for a OHKO only move on any gyara set that has a chance of OHKO and needs SR to even hope to do that is Stone edge on offensive version. and it only has a remote chance.

So no gyara isn't really a problem.

CB Flygon is half the reason I made this team because i'm sick of scarfing it.

/E: Looking for more suggestions on things i'm weak against. if anyone has any ideas =)

This team does have a DD Gyara weakness, and for your information most Gyarados are jolly nature to outpace 130 base speed pokemon like Jolteon. Therefore, Gyarados will outspeed with DD and take out Scarf Tran.

Rotom-H is a much better way of dealing with Gyarados, Mismagius just isn't as lethal in OU and that goes for Lanturn. A Gyarados with Earthquake, Stone Edge, Waterfall, Dragon Dance will take out most of your team.

Edit: DD Salamence also wrecks this team, Salamence are Naive nature so with one Dragon Dance, it will be good game. Scarf Flygon is clearly better than Choice Band, Flygon will lose to scarf Jirachi with Ice Punch and honestly choice band flygon won't help too much. Jolly Flygon with scarf will force a speed tie against scarf Jirachi and DD Salamence.

Um, Please go look at the smogon page for gyara, the ONLY one that is suggests Jolly on is offensive version and it suggests it as an alternate rather than a primary adamant nature.

so no "Most" Gyarados do not run jolly nature.

And I didn't claim this was the most leathal team out there not by a long shot...its just a good way to include some UU into an OU metagame and mix things up a bit.

So I'd appreciate it if we could skip over the obvious elephant in the room of gyarados and focus on other things.

but just to put this to rest, i'll review the only gyara i'm truly afraid of decimating my team without regard. Offensive Jolly natured gyara

the only attack it has which can ohko my lanturn is (Including SR on all other attacks after +1 dd) EQ so if I run into a offense DD EQ carrying gyara I'm probably going to get swept. No doubt

But thus far (and I concede it hasn't been long) the only concern to this team that has been brought up aside from swampert..which is beatable it just requires a lot of sacrifice unfortunately is one version of Gyara

Thats not bad for an ou team using two UU members...not at all. and like I said i'm willing to switch up my need if someone has a wonderful suggestion that gets up SR the vast majority of the time.

Preferably something that can take on Jolly Gyara & Swampert but still has a large success rate at laying down SR vs other leads.

Um, Please go look at the smogon page for gyara, the ONLY one that is suggests Jolly on is offensive version and it suggests it as an alternate rather than a primary adamant nature.

And I didn't claim this was the most leathal team out there not by a long shot...its just a good way to include some UU into an OU metagame and mix things up a bit.

So I'd appreciate it if we could skip over the obvious elephant in the room of gyarados and focus on other things.

but just to put this to rest, i'll review the only gyara i'm truly afraid of decimating my team without regard. Offensive Jolly natured gyara

the only attack it has which can ohko my lanturn is (Including SR on all other attacks after +1 dd) EQ so if I run into a offense DD EQ carrying gyara I'm probably going to get swept. No doubt

But thus far (and I concede it hasn't been long) the only concern to this team that has been brought up aside from swampert..which is beatable it just requires a lot of sacrifice unfortunately is one version of Gyara

Thats not bad for an ou team using two UU members...not at all. and like I said i'm willing to switch up my need if someone has a wonderful suggestion that gets up SR the vast majority of the time.

Preferably something that can take on Jolly Gyara & Swampert but still has a large success rate at laying down SR vs other leads.
Many people will keep telling you the obvious Gyarados and DD Mence weakness. Like I said, you should run Jolly scarfed Flygon to avoid these weaknesses.

If you can't accept criticism and suggestions, then there's no need to post an RMT.

If you change your Lantrun set you won't have a problem with Gyra or Mence. The set I use terrorizes both of them:

Lanturn @ Shuca Berry
Volt Absorb
Calm
DEF 156 / SPATK 100 / SPDEF 252
-Confuse Ray
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam

Beast. You don't need any HP investments since you won't be able to take on Blissey anyways (I assume you have it for the 4 seismic toss thing?). If you want him to be more offensive, you can take some from either defense so he's a little more powerful, but T-bolt always OHKO's Gyara and IB will always OHKO Mence after SR. However, with DEF investment you'll have better bulk and combined with the Shuca Berry, you'll never be OHKO by +1 Life Orb EQ's. The only thing you have to worry about is a +1 crit-hit Stone Edge. Another beautiful thing about the the Shuca Berry is that you can Twave oppsoing ScarTars, ScarfTrans, and Agiligross with ease if you still have it since EQ and EP are relatively small damage wise.

You can replace Confuse Ray with Surf if you want double STAB, but since I use mine for more annoyance and a Water/Mence/Gyara counter, it's not really needed. It's also useful for hitting incoming Electivire or Jolteon if you predict right.

thank you heart <3 This is the kind of criticism I'm looking for.

in RMT =D

It fixes both my weaknesses without removing any of my pokemon. not even my lead!

and I'd rather run surf probably because I like having the ability to come in on and force out some notorious fire types due to fear of OHKO by surf which t-bolt and Ice beam can't do such as coming in on heatran after a death or infernape etc =) as long as it isn't running GK ofc

/e: Or I could run Agility couldn't I? I might try that out. instead of surf of confuse. B/c If I can come in on something and force it out after a death it'd give me a free double of my speed stat making lanturn sweeps possible =\

It should outrun any positive base 100, and neutral base 110 and any positive base 110 that lacks a significant investment in speed.

You could drop confuse ray, and if you really wanted confuse ray, run discharge and drop t-wave and t-bolt. This all it to accommodate ice beam.

Nah Currently running the set Hart suggested, except w/ Agility in place of Confuse Ray.

However I haven't at the present time gotten a chance to use agility ...I also wasn't getting chanced to use confuse ray.

I'm going to continue running agility till I see its fully of no benefit, then I'll either go back to surf or possibly replace it with another filler...Maybe Stockpile? Raises both my DEF/SP Def one stage anytime I force something out. allowing me to take more hits...since I can't recover anyway. Might as well increase my tanking ability right?

I decided to replace Mismagius w/ Fross Lass spiker set =) its working out great! i almost always get up SR and 1 layer of spikes minimum. to help with my sweeps.

sometimes I get 2 layers of spikes or 1 layer and a destiny bond kill =) nothing feels better than 2 hazards and a free dead pokemon lol

and I'd rather run surf probably because I like having the ability to come in on and force out some notorious fire types due to fear of OHKO by surf
Why would that matter? Unless you have revealed your entire moveset the opponent is likely to think that you have surf.

Do you play this game? 99.5 percent of all Gyara are Jolly if they carry Dragon Dance for beating a certain yellow fox. Gyarados's analysis hasn't been recently updated anyways, fyi.

The two people in UU are in UU because they have been proven that they cannot function in OU but can function in UU quite well (Different environment, bud). Lanturn is on a rise because of the typing and ability that totally screws up the classic BoltBeam combo, though.

Let me tell you this- You're using Froslass in the worst place possible. SR is ubiquitos in all tiers which means your sash is useless, so either use it as a lead- Where it doesn't do that well in OU anyways- or scrap it entirely and use Spikes Roserade. Spikes Rose has Sleep Powder to abuse, not just praying for hax that Ice Beam most of the time doesn't manage to provide.

Oh, and Scarftar runs over all of this team, once the Scarftar user realizes that your Flygon isn't Scarfed. Choice Band Flygon is inherently flawed because its two great STABs are permawalled by so many OU staples. Gyarados laughs it both off (Not the Outrage, certainly, but after a DD...), Skarmory DEFNITELY laughs both off, Metagross can use Outrage as invitation for set-up, ect. ect. You want the Scarf, since if you accidentally give setup room you can come back to kill shit later. Oh, you think Lucario handles it? Well, I heard that there were these two awesome moves Tyranitar could learn called Superpower and Earthquake, hmm... Even Heatran can only manage a 2HKO with Earth Power thanks to that damned Sandstorm boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)