Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
asdf

Yup. So do you think using a third party device to alter that would be detectable in official tournament play?

It's level 49. Are you sure that's the case? I think the EV berries still work even when a Poke's at full happiness.

Yup. So do you think using a third party device to alter that would be detectable in official tournament play?
Depends on how you go about it, but I'm wondering if it would even do you any good.

Where do you intend to put those last 4 EV points? Its Attack+Speed are maxed, and investing in HP/Def/SpDef is silly for obvious reasons. Are you giving it any special attacks?

I'm wanting to add them toward defense, for Substitute use. To be honest, it's mostly my OCD that drives my wanting to fix this so badly.

SubPassing in the VGC? Man, you run some high-risk stuff! (And I think SpDef might be more useful in this meta.)

My completely non-informed opinion is that, no, they won't detect any shenanigans so long as the only thing you do is wipe those EVs and stay within legal boundaries, making sure not to do something silly and rollover the EVs so that you pass the total limits.

But that is just opinion. Its base defenses are so low and there are so many heavy-hitters in this meta that I do not believe that you will be able to save that sub with one more stat point anyway. (In fact, I'd run a double-check with a stat calculator to see if you even GET that last stat point at level 50.) And even though you intend to use legal Pokemon, I'm not sure if these kinds of questions are kosher.

You're not even OCD enough to RNG for perfect IVs. (I checked. :P) One more point won't ruin anything. It is statistically insignificant compared to the damage variance formula anyway.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hey big favor guys, can someone RNG a kyogre[scarfogre] for me to possible use at nationals, perfect iv in speed and special attck would be bomb. modest nature ofcourse. or if someone has one can i borrow it till after nationals, i will make him a star overnight [your kyogre not you :) ]. pm me if you can be of help.
i really appreciate it.

I've always wanted to know how viable is Ditto in VGC. Since we can only use 2 "restricted pokes" doesn't it seem like a great idea to switch in a Ditto and transform into your opponents Uber. Its gimmicky at best, but adding a 3rd uber to your team could be really strong. i would think

Ditto @ Choice Scarf (or Foucs Sash)
252 hp (timid , 252 spe)
-transform
is all that's needed to clone your opponet, and then outspeed them. Really any item could work. Has anyone else thought about this?? And what about Transform Smeargle!?!

I've always wanted to know how viable is Ditto in VGC. Since we can only use 2 "restricted pokes" doesn't it seem like a great idea to switch in a Ditto and transform into your opponents Uber. Its gimmicky at best, but adding a 3rd uber to your team could be really strong. i would think

Ditto @ Choice Scarf (or Foucs Sash)
252 hp
-transform
is all that's needed to clone your opponet, and then outspeed them. Really any item could work. Has anyone else thought about this??
Gimmicks very rarely do well - and ditto is way to predictable, as it only has one attack (at first). If you want to transform, i would go with Smeargle - that way your opponent will at least think you are going for a DV or Endeavor.

Yeah, i easily see how Smeargle is more effective. But what about targeting your own partner to transform into. Then its not a gimmick its strategy. Smeargle is a VGC god.

Also, when attempting to use a Pomeg on it, it states the message, "It won't have any effect." instead of saying, "Shedinja became more friendly. Its base HP can't go lower."
Yeah, that message is generally obtained when you have no EVs in that stat and you are at max happiness, as neither of the berry's effects can occur.

i'm extremely knew to VGC style competitive gameplay. I was wondering where I can go to learn stratagies, get movesets and builds, and just basically anything to help me start off at so I can learn how to compete and hopefully be able to compete for next years VGC.
Try skarmbliss.com.

@misdreavus- Thanks man. I checked out the site and it was pretty informative, but somewhat hard to dive into(especially when your not a member to the fourms.) If anyone out there wants to help a brotha out with really any information. What works, what doesn't, maybe even some custom ev sets etc... I've been watchin a lot of VGC vids and of course listenin to the smogcast, basically tryin to get as much knowledge as I can. But with the lack of doubles/VGC style on shoddy, its a lot more difficult to find out for yourself. Anyway if you think you can help me or just have some spare time to check in on me and see what I know so far pm me. Thanks for any/all support =P

@misdreavus- Thanks man. I checked out the site and it was pretty informative, but somewhat hard to dive into(especially when your not a member to the fourms.) If anyone out there wants to help a brotha out with really any information. What works, what doesn't, maybe even some custom ev sets etc... I've been watchin a lot of VGC vids and of course listenin to the smogcast, basically tryin to get as much knowledge as I can. But with the lack of doubles/VGC style on shoddy, its a lot more difficult to find out for yourself. Anyway if you think you can help me or just have some spare time to check in on me and see what I know so far pm me. Thanks for any/all support =P
The best way to get ready is to watch a ton of videos, and battle a ton to test out your team. Going in with your first idea for a team might sound good at the time but looking back my team from 2009 really sucked. Best of luck!

@charistopher- thanks for the info man. yea lol u should see my 1st shoddy team haha. pretty damn pathetic. soo many ideas on one team haha. but yea if you don't mind me askin where do you go to find people to vgc battle? or do a lot of people on smogon actually vgc battle in the battle me section? to be honest I never really looked for vgc battles but just because smogon is "mostly" singles, I figured people didn't VGC battle a lot. plus its goin to be a lot harder testing teams since say if i wanted a selfdestruct mewtwo or really anything with good ivs and movesets(hard stuff to find) i'm actually goin to have to create the team(which may not work for shit haha) so as of right now i'm goin to just start comin up with teams on paper and if anyone out there doesn't mind RMTin for me that would be awesome. Thanks again for the info guys. really appreciate it.

@ x t x , I battled with friends, on PBR and over Wi-fi to get experience. I ended up making 3 totally different teams this year and I put in a lot of time because all of my stuff is always non hacked. It's hard to find Vgc rmt and stuff, if you wanted to send me a message I'd gladly take a look at it for you. Either try to make a team that counters common threats, or make a team where you have a very set plan and make your opponent adjust to you, while scarfogre is so powerful, everyone knows what it's going to do.

@firestorm- downloading it now and i'll test it out. yea I've started to realize too how people get about their teams and bein secretive about it. Which doesn't make it any easier to get help haha. But yea man thanks again i'll def check it out.

@Charistopher- yea majority of the teams i've been watching our scarfogre water spout to start, with hitmontop for fake out, mach punch. And usually an abomasnow for 2nd weather effect haha. but yea i'll def make a well thought out team before pmin you for an rmt. One quick question though i've been looking into Giratina-O but even skarmbliss doesn't have an overview of him. was wondering if anyone could clear up his role, moveset, etc... Thanks again for the help guys. can't tell u how much it helps

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Giratina-O plays the same way that an offensive regular Giratina plays. The only difference is it has weaker defenses, stronger offenses, and levitate instead of pressure.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@TTS-Ic thanks for the info. Same moveset as well i assume?
Yes. That's what I meant. Stuff like Shadow Force, Shadow Sneak, Dragon Claw, Protect, Draco Meteor, Thunder.. it's the same pokemon just with slightly altered stats.

Ic thanks again. Congrats on placing 1st at New Jersey. closest VGC to me is in Indy but I doubt i'll have a team together let alone be skilled enough haha

I wouldn't worry about not having a "team" together. I threw mine and a friend's together overnight (literally) and went into New Jersey on no sleep, and fell just short of the finalist's lounge. At the very least, it's experience. And a chance to interact with other fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)