The New VGC metagame with the possibility of TRIPLE battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After taking a gander at the new trailer for Black and White, I couldn't help but notice the addition of triples battles. Now seeing as how Nintendo VGC has a love affair with doubles battles, does anyone here think they might make the jump to triples in the coming year? Can you imagine how much that could shake things up? It would be an entirely different metagame to get adjusted to. I think we will be dealing with a different animal next year. Also, seeing as how the Japanese will be getting the game much sooner than us United folk, do you think the time difference will affect the caliber of players at worlds? If we get the game in the spring and they announce triple battles as the format for VGC, we will have all of 3 months to adjust to new Pokemon, new moves, and new game play style. Opinions, comments, criticisms?

Also, is anyone else psyched about the possibility of a new probopass evolution?!? You know I am. Also, WORMADAM!

Yeah, that would give VGC an entire change...Levitaters, Metagross and Ghost as leads xD

I would like it to be Singles 3vs3 though.... xD

I think they're new pokemon evos, as the left one looks more like a ghost, the middle one doesn't have a mustache ( :3) and the left one looks like a Dark Type ._.

I don't believe that a 3v3 will happen because it will get rid of the possibility of switching which is a key part in Pokemon and I believe that Gamefreak would realize that at the very minimum and they can not have a 6v6 because it will be a very long and time consuming, obviously not worthwhile.

The Japanese do have an advantage and I do not think that it will be a great disadvantage to everyone else having very little time to prepare for the VGC.

I really don't think this picture is of a 3v3 battle. I don't know what it is maybe like three legendaries or something, but I doubt it means 3v3 battles.

@Human: True, battles could take a long time, but battles could also end in 2 turns.

@FMasamune: If you look at the video there are definitely 2 trainers sending out Pokemon. I don't know how much more specific you can get.

What if you could switch the positions of your pokemon in 3v3? That'd keep in the element of switching but at the same time make the whole thing alot harder for everyone bahaha.

What if you could switch the positions of your pokemon in 3v3? That'd keep in the element of switching but at the same time make the whole thing alot harder for everyone bahaha.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. That would be interesting indeed.

Only if they protect, but if you can play it right you could probably one/shot something. Maybe even take out fake out and just add bullet punching banded Scizor or something.

Now that you say that, that doesn't surprise me. And that'd really be cool. VGC would become like the most intense mindgame competition ever.

Can't wait to see two explosioners and a Giratina. You're opponent will have to guess which one explodes first. :)

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If they do this for VGC I'm gonna be so mad. It will be so easy for n00bs to win this. I mean, if they have Tyranitar and Dunsparce and use them right, you won't attack at all. Although, I think Lucario would rise a lot in usage.

The only way I could see triples working in a competitive format is if positioning matters somehow. Switching the position of active Pokemon, not being able to target something on the other end of the field, stuff like that. If it's just like the existing doubles format plus one more Pokemon on each side it'd be nuts.

Ya I have to say I was a little bummed at the confirmation of 3v3 seeing as I figured GF/Nintendo would easily rush to use this as the format for the next VGC. I just think it's a little too clustered. 2v2 was my perfect in my opinion for battling because of the amount of strategy 2 Pokemon create. 3 Pokemon just starts getting chaotic.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Only if they protect, but if you can play it right you could probably one/shot something. Maybe even take out fake out and just add bullet punching banded Scizor or something.
If they protect, then they get off two attacks on your Pokemon and you got off none. If they don't, you just spent a lot of time powering up a shitty move and they still got off two more attacks. Why would you try to OHKO something with Fake Out? Fake Out's purpose is to flinch something so it can't act that turn. If you want to disable something by KOing it, you would use a more powerful move.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am definitely hoping I do not have to deal with Follow Me + Helping Hand + Water Spout...or really any of the possible ridiculous Follow Me strategies.

I strongly doubt that this will be the new format for VGC.

I don't know why, but i'm almost sure about this will be the next year's vgc metagame... And i don't know what to think about it... I'd be happy if they change this year's awful metagame, but as wel i don't think this one will better...

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
It might be interesting if it's 3v3 but you're only allowed to pick two attacks per turn.
That would be...incredibly stupid.

I too am doubting this would be the VGC format. It'd be too ridiculous. For ingame, I do admit I wouldn't mind this - HH + HH + Water Spout would be ridiculously fun.

@ Ghosts and levitators:
Propably GF nerfs the multi-hit moves in triples (as they did in doubles)
Maybe something like 50% of original power?
Already the spreading of power with two 75% hits tends to be inefficent, as KOs aren't as easy to accomplish. What's better, having one 0% opp and one at 100% or two 25% opps?

Multitude of those moves might still do the trick, but as Ghosts and levitators will most propably rise, not all opposing mons will be hit by EQs and explosions.

And have I heard something like "double battle is just about who has faser & more powerful sweepers"? Not saying that's true, but if the multitude of attacks in doubles has forced the room for strategy to dwindle, triple battle with the same format would be disaster. Of course, all those impulsive 10-year-olds will just go: [Caps/] "Awesome!" [/Caps]

3v3 ruined pokemon. First of all next year we are going to have well over 600 pokemon. 2v2 would be insane with tons of new options. But the thought of using 3v3 with over 600 pokemon to choose from would be horrible. They would be basically no metagame. Everyone would carry like a pokemon with damp, water absorb, levitate, a ghost. The VGC must use 2v2 or things will be imo horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)