The 1v1 Metagame

Would Sitrus Berry be better than Leftovers for some Pokémon?
A bulk up Machamp could make good use of it. Maby if Wobbufet was unbanned then he could use it. Although I do think wobbufet should stay banned because of the possible wobbufet vs. Wobbufet. Other then that wobbufet can be stopped. Also I think this would work better if it was best 2 out of 3 and the loser of the battle could change his pokemon for the next battle and if there's a third battle the loser of the second battle can change his pokemon for the third battle. I think that would make this idea more fun and challenging and rely less on lucky match ups.

I think Yanmega would do great here since walls arent viable

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest/Speed Boost
106HP/252SPA/128Spe
~Protect
~Bug Buzz
~Air Slash
~Hidden Power Ground

Problems are priority attacks though. Any opinions on how to avoid them?

I think Yanmega would do great here since walls arent viable

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest/Speed Boost
106HP/252SPA/128Spe
~Protect
~Bug Buzz
~Air Slash
~Hidden Power Ground

Problems are priority attacks though. Any opinions on how to avoid them?
The chopel berry blissey idea listed earlier easily walls all spec attakers including this. Other then that this looks good.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
That Yanmega loses to Sleep, which is the only problem. How badly does including Lum affect damage calcs? Also, some more speed EVs would probably help you, as I don't think you beat Timid Scarf Togekiss after a Speed Boost.

The choice between Sitrus Berry and Leftovers is whether you want to turn more 2HKO's into 3HKO's or if you want to stall easier. Leftovers recovery outclasses Sitrus Berry recovery after 5 turns.

Wobuffet vs. Wobuffet isn't as much of a problem as it used to be because Struggle always hits you 25% damage in recoil. Other than that, there's really no reason to ban Wobuffet because no one can switch anyway and it can't Encore set-up/recovery moves to give one of its teammates a free switch-in and a free turn of set-up.

i just read this thread and think this idea is hella cool.

I was thinking a ninjask set which still needs work.
Ninjask Ev's?
Liechi Berry
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- X scissor

Protect first turn if you fear a scarfer. Then you'd outspeed pretty much everything. Something frail sub down until liechi berry and attack for the ohko with ninjask's not bad base 90 attack +1. If there's set up involved in the opponents strategy (taunt or anything else) you can hopefully get a successful sub up and use toxic. Then sub protect stall until your opponent is in ohko range of x scissor.

Priority is an issue. Seems interesting though if not a solid idea.

Anything that can take X-Scissor (particularly Steel types since they're immune to Toxic) can just keep pounding away at your Substitutes until you're left with hitting them with a +1 X-Scissor (which is the same as a Choice Band boost) and take you out. Ninjask really doesn't have enough attack to pull that off.

The problem with only running only a Bug move is it is resisted by so much. I know the 1v1 metagame is like rock-paper-scissors, but still, you won't do much to a lot of types.

EDIT: Ninja'd lol

i just read this thread and think this idea is hella cool.

I was thinking a ninjask set which still needs work.
Ninjask Ev's? (Pika suggests 6 HP (or 6 defense) 252 attack 252 speed jolly, if you feel like you don't need all that speed, just dump the excess speed into HP and/or defenses, heck even consider adamant)
Liechi Berry
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- X scissor

Protect first turn if you fear a scarfer. Then you'd outspeed pretty much everything. Something frail sub down until liechi berry and attack for the ohko with ninjask's not bad base 90 attack +1. If there's set up involved in the opponents strategy (taunt or anything else) you can hopefully get a successful sub up and use toxic. Then sub protect stall until your opponent is in ohko range of x scissor.

Priority is an issue. Seems interesting though if not a solid idea.
Come to think of it, Lum Shed could be of some use, particularly against this Ninjask set, and it's the right item for Shed anyway should Sash be banned.

DDRmaster is right. Lucario beats this Ninjask. A CC easily breaks Jask's Subs, doing 115 - 135 (43.7% - 51.3%) to 0/6, 116 - 137 (37.8% - 44.6%) to 176/0, even (for completeness sake) 85 - 100 (26.2% - 30.8%) to 248/184, all from 252 attack Adamant Lucario with a Life Orb held.

I also think that this format should be a best two out of three where both opponents are required to use different pokemon each match. Its really still heavily luck based but each player can still implement multiple strategies in a match. Getting absolutely wrecked because of a bad matchup wont be so bad.

I want to know who thinks Sash should be banned. I think it shouldn't because of Fake Out, Walls, Faster opponents (Choice scarf), and other priority attacks. Honestly I think banning the sash is like banning stealth rocks. Your banning because you know many people will use it. But stealth rock isn't broken because you can kill the poke using stealth rock before it gets a chance or you can rapid spin them away. I think Sash should have a chance. If it effects 1v1 so much to the point where it's impossible to stop then ban it but if not then it should stay. There are ways to stop it so in my opinion it should stay. I also want hear different opinions to so please post what you think. :D

This is a cool infernape set. I used it in the Close Combat tournament.

Pokemon Name: INFERNAPE
Set Name: Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Naive
EVs: 64 ATK/ 248 Sp. ATK/ 196 SPE
Item: Choice Scarf
Move 1: Fire Blast
Move 2: Close Combat
Move 3: Hidden Power [ICE]
Move 4: Grass Knot
Description:

Since Focus Sash clause was on, I decided to run Choice Scarf instead. Fire Blast and Close Combat are hight powered STABs. Hidden Power lets you kill the multitudeds of Flying, Dragon, Ground, and Grass types. (pokemon such as Salamence, Flygon, Gliscor ect. are all outspead and OHKOed) Grass Knot prevents bulky ground and water types from walling you. This would be countered by faster pokemon with Choice Scarf, such as Azelf and Starmie, and very bulky pokemon such as Hippowdon.

I strongly dislike ScarfApe for something like this. Even MixApe misses a lot of OHKO's with a Life Orb. You've lost that power, but you're still as OHKO'able as ever. Anything with a bulk to take just one hit and packing Earthquake/a strong Surf will utterly defeat that Infernape, and quite a few pokemon have the weapons to do it.

hey wouldn't electivire be almost broken? if he can hit so much for super effective, he could really cause trouble. he beats counter blissey i think, also. And the focus sash should be banned because everyone would over use it. spore punch breloom would be really annoying, and so many others would too. the idea is a little noobish to add to that.the whole metagame would rely on power and priority and everyone would do the same thing over and over with every poke.

BandZong
Bronzong @ Choice Band
Levitate
Brave
31/31/31/31/31/0
252 HP/ 252 ATK/ 6 DEF
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Payback
-Trick

So with this set, you can be offensive with gyro ball. OHKO on Tyranitar, Porygon-Z, (almost always) DDance Mence, etc. And when others get in your way that resist steel, use earthquake or payback. And when none of that works, trick 'em a band.

Tawp64, Evire still doesn't hit hard enough to break a lot of Pokemon and gets OHKO'd in return, and no, he does not have enough power to beat Counter Blissey, Cross Chop or not.

Anyways, here's a set that served me well in the CC tournament, and has yet to truly fail me, but I've only done about 5 battles with it.

Bronzong@Chesto Berry
Sassy
Heatproof
31/x/31/31/31/0
252 HP/104 Def/152 SpD - it's the RestTalk Zong EV's with attack moved towards special defense to tank Fire Blasts even better.
~Rest
~Calm Mind
~Iron Defense
~Flash Cannon

The way you play this depends on the situation. Against special attackers, the plan is simple: Calm Mind and Rest your way to as much power as you need, and then proceed to hammer away with Flash Cannon. Against Choice Band users, you can easily Iron Defense to an acceptable level as most of them will not risk locking themselves into an ineffectual Earthquake, even though that would be fatal to this Bronzong set. Once you have enough defense, you can Calm Mind up, and Flash Cannon away.

Against mixed attackers, the fun really begins. A lot of them carry some sort of Fire move, which Heatproof Bronzong can typically take. Always Iron Defense on the first turn that way if they get wise from the pitiful fire damage, they'll be behind if they try to Earthquake. From there, use your judgment as to whether you want to Calm Mind for an offensive boost or keep going with Iron Defense.

With this set, do not be afraid to use Rest. Bronzong can typically take one critical hit from full health, but from a lower health, it's a risky game. Even if Chesto gets used up, Bronzong can typically survive the two turns of sleep.

What beats this set: Critical hits. Critical hits will bypass your stat ups, but if you keep at full health, you'll often be able to survive even the crits. I suppose a stat up sweeper utilizing Nasty Plot or Swords Dance could also beat this set, but I used this set with the idea that no one is really going to be using these moves, as the pokemon typically associated with them are fast, frail, hard hitters, which I suspect aren't very good in this metagame.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Wow. Thinking about matchups, that Zong looks really nice. It could probably do with some EV refining but dedicated hard-hitters are rare so I wouldn't be surprised if that set was extremely effective.

*Steals*

What about Timid SpecsMence?

252 SA/252 Spd

Can outspeed or tie all Base 100s

Choice Specs
Draco Meteor
HP Grass
Hydro Pump
Fire Blast

I use HP Grass because with Timid Swampert survives the Draco sometimes, but never the HP Grass

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
It seems okay. However, I'm concerned about your ability to beat Scarfers, especially if they carry Ice moves (Togekiss usually does, Jirachi sometimes has Ice Punch). You also end up getting flinched to death a lot. However, beating Kingdra and the majority of *stuff slower than you* is nice.

Registeel @ Lum Berry
EVs: whatever

-Counter
-Thunder Wave
-Iron Head
-EQ

Heh... didn't really thought this through, but yeah. It's a idea.

I'd think a simple MixMence would work well here. It gets perfect coverage and doesn't need to worry about the drawbacks of Outrage/DM that much.

Salamence @ Lum Berry/Focus Sash/Life Orb
Naive
16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
posting to say this is awesome (how did i miss this thread for two weeks)

also posting to blindly confirm yawn/dd/protect/outrage kingdra, you're not beating this pokemon very easily unless you're a faster dragon (most are banned if you're still going by the 6v6 rules) or you carry lum (or you're shedinja but lol). i used this, with lum, in the real battle hall to great success against literally every type of pokemon.. "kingdra is uber"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)