Golden Sun Dark Dawn

As I'm sure many of you know Golden Sun Dark dawn was announced at E3 this year. According to Gamefaqs it's release date is Q4 2010 (it should be out before Christmas) It pick ups 30 years after TLA (The Lost Age) ended. The main characters are Matthew, Karis, Terrell and Crown. The plot has something to do with psynergy vortexes sucking all the adepts psynergy and ever since the thrive of alchemy new species have appeared and the world has changed drastically

Here's some vids:
http://e3.nintendo.com/ds/game/?g=goldensun - Here's just some plot info
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-golden-sun/101751 - A battle Demo showing some summons
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-golden-sun/101753 - He's completing a puzzle and also shows that Djinni will return

EDIT: found another vid looks the same as the Battle Demo one but has a new dunegeon at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=657x6YE3HGk

I really can't wait for this Golden Sun = Best series ever

I can't argue with you; it was an amazing series and I can't wait for this in the winter. I've been really psyched for this since they announced it.

I've actually never played Golden Sun in my life. I've actually put a reserve on the Game for when it comes out, and this game clearly does not disappoint. I'll be looking forward to it. ;)

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tried playing Golden Sun. I just couldn't do it. The battle system was cool I guess, but it got really irritating having to equip/unequip all your djinn all the time. I'm not sure how the story was, since I never actually finished the first game. This game looks good though, maybe I'll give them another shot.

I tried playing Golden Sun. I just couldn't do it. The battle system was cool I guess, but it got really irritating having to equip/unequip all your djinn all the time. I'm not sure how the story was, since I never actually finished the first game. This game looks good though, maybe I'll give them another shot.
A button to open the menu. A button to open Djinn. R-button and hold, press select once. All Djinn Set. Pressing Select twice puts them all on Standby.

This takes about two seconds.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Or you could do what I did and keep them on only to change character classes and for boss battles. Standard enemies rarely need any Djinn work.

I was a bit skeptical from that one intro vid, but the demos have me sold.

Like the previous posters said, most of the battles don't require the use of djinni, so you'd be fine just trotting through most of the game using them only for boss battles.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hope that they'll solve one of Golden Sun's most fatal flaw.

Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah

(Repeat for 15 minutes of useless text)

Oh, and the auto-defense if a target you select gets destroyed before your character makes an attack.

Otherwise, I'm pretty interested. I beat both Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2, so that makes me pretty well set.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A button to open the menu. A button to open Djinn. R-button and hold, press select once. All Djinn Set. Pressing Select twice puts them all on Standby.

This takes about two seconds.
Regardless, if you actually used them for battles, it got annoying doing it after every encounter.

This looks good though.

i've heard so much praise for this series and im kinda interested but i know nothing about golden sun in general

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
The screenshots I had seen Pre-E3 seemed very disappointing, but the videos really changed my opinion. Golden Sun was one of my favorite RPGs of all time, so this game has a lot to live up to! I'm very excited for it's release and I'm glad the battle mechanics all seem to be remaining in-place. It seems very true to the originals, which is just what I wanted to see.

Since the GBA games were so good, I don't want to see any major changes with the formula, the only changes that I would enjoy would be:

1. No more useless "YES / NO" questions have no bearing on the story and simply waste time. However, I would love to see player decisions that influence the path of the storyline.

2. Improved in-battle Psynergy system. Psynergy was pretty useless in battle because your attacks would deal more to single enemies, and the only fights against 3+ enemies were always weak random encounters. Also, your physical attacks grew in power with equipment, and psynergy never grew stronger alongside them; you only got a finite number of stronger spells and then stopped gaining spellpower. I'd love to see some sort of way for the in-battle psynergy to be useful in this new game.

I hope that they'll solve one of Golden Sun's most fatal flaw.

Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah

(Repeat for 15 minutes of useless text)

Oh, and the auto-defense if a target you select gets destroyed before your character makes an attack.

Otherwise, I'm pretty interested. I beat both Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2, so that makes me pretty well set.
Seeing as how Kradens not in this I don't think it'll be much of an issue

The screenshots I had seen Pre-E3 seemed very disappointing, but the videos really changed my opinion. Golden Sun was one of my favorite RPGs of all time, so this game has a lot to live up to! I'm very excited for it's release and I'm glad the battle mechanics all seem to be remaining in-place. It seems very true to the originals, which is just what I wanted to see.

Since the GBA games were so good, I don't want to see any major changes with the formula, the only changes that I would enjoy would be:

1. No more useless "YES / NO" questions have no bearing on the story and simply waste time. However, I would love to see player decisions that influence the path of the storyline.
It won't happen; this is a western RPG trait, and not one typical of JRPGs. (Although the WRPGs tend to have one single choice that changes the ending as the extent of their player-influence system.) The nearest you get are sidequests.

2. Improved in-battle Psynergy system. Psynergy was pretty useless in battle because your attacks would deal more to single enemies, and the only fights against 3+ enemies were always weak random encounters. Also, your physical attacks grew in power with equipment, and psynergy never grew stronger alongside them; you only got a finite number of stronger spells and then stopped gaining spellpower. I'd love to see some sort of way for the in-battle psynergy to be useful in this new game.
I've been replaying the first ones. Until you get the ultimate weapons, like the Gaia Blade which has a frequent unleash rate and a powerful unleash, psynergy outdamages attacks on average and in most instances.

I would like, however, more of the out-of-battle-only psynergy to be given use in battle, even if only a utility use. For example, "Move" rearranging the lineup of the opponent, "Carry" and "Lift" picking up and dropping the enemies, etc. Mind Read acting like Scan in the FF games.

EDIT: The easiest boss strategy, I found (especially the first game), was to Standby all your non-attacking Djinn, and doing a round of L4 Summons. Then you just repeat Djinn rushing until you can L4 Summon again. If they were a really tough boss, just start alternating Wish and Flash set/use with two characters.

Though I can't wait I was hoping it would be on the 3DS and I thought it was going to be since we had no gameplay videos since E3 '09. It will still be a great game, and I believe it will go beyond expectations.

I'm psyched. I've been waiting forever for a new one to come out, and here it is! Is that release date for Japan or the US?

Golden Sun was one of the best RPG games EVER.
I love the series, because it had so many potential hours of gameplay in it.
But now that it's on the DS... hopefully we get wifi features! - w -

I'm a gigantic Golden Sun fan, and the battle stuff looks really good, especially the new summons. One thing I really want in this game is the inclusion of more "support" summons (like Azul in GS2) as opposed to all the strictly damaging summons.

Also, anyone else a little bit disappointed that the demos showed the same djinn from the other games? I was hoping for all new djinn in this one...

I'm a gigantic Golden Sun fan, and the battle stuff looks really good, especially the new summons. One thing I really want in this game is the inclusion of more "support" summons (like Azul in GS2) as opposed to all the strictly damaging summons.

Also, anyone else a little bit disappointed that the demos showed the same djinn from the other games? I was hoping for all new djinn in this one...
I think you mean Coatlique, Azul was the 3V4M water damage summon.

To be honest, I only ever summoned Coatlique once, to see the animation. The number of Djinn you have to spend to use a support Summon is a massive waste of resource, especially when psynergy and individual djinn usually duplicate the results.

I think instead I'd like more summons like Megaera, where they do damage and have some additional effect.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

First of all, love your avatar... Golden Sun's sprite work still looks beautiful to this day.

About summons, while I would like to see more supporting summons, I agree with Mr. Indigo that summons which attack and then give your team an added bonus effect would be superior to all-out support summons. However, one support summon I'd really like to see would be one that buffs ALL of your stats at once; that'd be a great summon to lead off a tough battle.

Regarding the djinn... I honestly would have been very disappointed if they changed the Djinn. I loved the little guys (especially the venus djinn!) and would be pissed if they were replaced.

If they really want to add something new to the Djinn, I'd like to see each individual Djinn have a personality. In the first games the only Djinn to speak were Flint/Echo giving tutorials, and all the other Djinn were silent. While you could tell a bit about each Djinn based on how it reacted to your approach / it's emotion bubbles, I think it would be a nice touch if all the other Djinn spoke or had a couple lines of dialogue. For example, one Djinn could be timid when released in battle, another is eager to fight and hot-tempered, etc. It would add a lot of flavor to the Djinn!

Well, the reason they can't change the Djinn is that there are only a finite number of them anyway; they're deathless spirits of the planet.

I do like the idea of flavouring up their personality with a bit of dialogue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)