VGC10 Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick McCord said:
Ripped apart by Shadow Force!!!
^ The best quote ever! Honestly, this year's VGC, in the way it was run, was way better than any previous VGC. It was run on a less biased scale, and the staff was more sympathetic to the combatants. They split up friends because they sympathized with us. To be honest, I think Liesik is becoming a better organizer every time.

On the metagame, I think it is way too centralizing. This is a perfect example of what would happen when 6 Ubers are no longer banished. They absolutely rip apart the OU metagame, and very little things become viable. I agree with the majority that wish for a non-Uber metagame next year with the arrival of Black and White. It is just that much better.

Hogan > McCord for his stupid comments based on his lack of Pokeknowledge. Haha! Silly Hulk...

My own issues with the VGC: the metagame is far too haxy for single-elimination; taking the game cards out of the machines in the middle of saving is just stupid; numbers at the European events should have been estimated better (well over 400 seniors turned up for the UK event with only 256 places); staff should be better at catching illegal team sheets (my first-round opponent had a team that broke Item Clause, and they didn't notice until the game itself complained).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
What's Mike's e-mail, anyway?
If you just go to the VGC Website, there's a place at the bottom that says "contact us". I believe it emails to something like "customerservice@pokemon.com" or something, but as long as you've got like "VGC somethingorother" in the title, Mike gets it. Seriously bros, he reads it and responds.

Overall, I thought that this year was much better than last year. The removing of the lottery was a godsend, and I enjoyed the addition of chairs (although I never had the pleasure to use them). I don't know how I feel about the addition of ubers. I didn't think it was impossible to be innovative, but certain strategies were very potent. I personally didn't feel like the metagame was too awful, but maybe I don't have enough experience.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I personally didn't feel like the metagame was too awful, but maybe I don't have enough experience.
The metagame was surprisingly fun. Much better than 2006, at the very least. Ubers centralized the metagame around them to a certain extent, but the two nonubers were just as important on many teams.

As a newb to the scene, I didn't mind a centralized game so much because that meant there were typically fewer things to prepare for, lol. Nice entry-level experience, I think.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
If you just go to the VGC Website, there's a place at the bottom that says "contact us". I believe it emails to something like "customerservice@pokemon.com" or something, but as long as you've got like "VGC somethingorother" in the title, Mike gets it. Seriously bros, he reads it and responds.
organizedplay@pokemon.com

That was the e-mail they told me to use in the future when I first complained about lack of regional dates.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Certainly doing away with the unfair lottery of 2009 and having the first come first serve method was a vast improvement; however since spots were filled in Europeon and the Newark location, I suggest next year expand on the Europeon limit to say 768 while making a second northeast regional available in say Washington, DC while having another in either Newark or Boston or in between perhaps.

We are already speculating that next year's format will be triple-battle since it is something new for black & white but we'd definitely prefer the current double-battle format, as triple-battle would be a huge learning curve for most of us.

Oh, for an event pokemon, please have it be a competitive nature. Timid milotic was at least competitive for 2009, but a hardy eevee? Who in their right mind would use such an eevee or its evolutions with such a non-competitive nature?

Newark was a much better location compared to the one in New York back in 2008 as parking was most convenient in Newark.

Certainly doing away with the unfair lottery of 2009 and having the first come first serve method was a vast improvement; however since spots were filled in Europeon and the Newark location, I suggest next year expand on the Europeon limit to say 768 while making a second northeast regional available in say Washington, DC while having another in either Newark or Boston or in between perhaps.

We are already speculating that next year's format will be triple-battle since it is something new for black & white but we'd definitely prefer the current double-battle format, as triple-battle would be a huge learning curve for most of us.

Oh, for an event pokemon, please have it be a competitive nature. Timid milotic was at least competitive for 2009, but a hardy eevee? Who in their right mind would use such an eevee or its evolutions with such a non-competitive nature?

Newark was a much better location compared to the one in New York back in 2008 as parking was most convenient in Newark.
I agree with all of this, save one thing. I would be highly in favor of triple battles, actually for the same reason you gave. Learning information on all the new Pokemon, and a new battle system at the same time would take a lot of research and practice. This would widen the gap between casual players that just copy teams a few days before the event, and truly dedicated competitive players.

The only thing that is comfirmed in triple battles is rock slide hits every pokemon. 2 words EXPLOSION FEST I'm sorry, but if they have triple battles I am going to die because of multihit move spam.

The only thing that is comfirmed in triple battles is rock slide hits every pokemon. 2 words EXPLOSION FEST I'm sorry, but if they have triple battles I am going to die because of multihit move spam.
I thought that both years were equally awesome. This year was way more centralized but left room for some intense strategies. Next year I'd like to go back to OU style without restricted pokes. Also I hope eventually triple battles catch on and not next year, but maybe the next year VGC could do triples.

Have to say the VGC's are awesome!

2009 was great, but even though I didn't that well in 2010 - Introducing the Ubers was an awesome idea. It made games go faster and more exciting with alot more team variations than in 2009. I hope for future VGC's they continue to change the format, as learning a new metagame keeps the competitive element fresh.

My only complaints is that the top 4 in the european qualifiers should get there travel fully paid rather than top 2. As mentioned before, a competitive natured Pokemon. Lastly some people had the unfortunate luck of going agaisnt hackers who don't get picked up untill he top 16, I think something should be done as it's really unfair. Hack checking everyone on registration is too lengthy a task but maybe something like implementing some technology into those white boxes?

Other than that I can't wait for 2011........

My thing is, I think there should be 3 age divisions; mainly because Im not a huge fan of playing people with a ten year age difference, and Im sure a lot of you guys aren't huge fans of eliminating a little kid first round. Its not nice. XD While it may cause the oldest division to get even tougher, the little kids could have a more fair game. The other reason; TCG gets three divisions, we have time for three divisions, why not have 3?
I agree completely. While I did a battle with someone about the same age as me (I'm 14), my best friend who has more experience than me was up against a noobish 21-year old person who, believe it or not... beat him even if he had only played the game itself for 2 days. We both lost in the first round of our 60-person group

Also, they claimed we were going to be "hack checked" so that we don't use hacked pokemon. Heck, I have a possibly-hacked Espeon that I was going to use and NO hack checks happen. I went up against someone in the line (Who was 12 or 13) and was using ALL hacked pokemon (i.e. Shiny Moltres, Shinies all over the place.) They really need to fix the hack checking problem because for all I know, I could have gone up against an ALL-hacked team.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree completely. While I did a battle with someone about the same age as me (I'm 14), my best friend who has more experience than me was up against a noobish 21-year old person who, believe it or not... beat him even if he had only played the game itself for 2 days. We both lost in the first round of our 60-person group

Also, they claimed we were going to be "hack checked" so that we don't use hacked pokemon. Heck, I have a possibly-hacked Espeon that I was going to use and NO hack checks happen. I went up against someone in the line (Who was 12 or 13) and was using ALL hacked pokemon (i.e. Shiny Moltres, Shinies all over the place.) They really need to fix the hack checking problem because for all I know, I could have gone up against an ALL-hacked team.
Age has nothing to do with Pokemon. If your friend lost to a 21 year old who doesn't know how to play a game, that is a problem with his team. We have Smogonites younger than you who placed highly in both the regionals and national.

Shiny Pokemon aren't hard to get now that people have figured out how to manipulate the random number generator in the game. If you suspect someone is hacking, call over a judge and ask for a hack check.

Yes as much fun as this nats tourney was I have to agree that single-elminations shouldn't happen. A lot of people got out from sheer luck and it's not fair for those that spent all the dedicated hours getting to that spot just to get freeze haxed. Once people got into Swiss however, win or lose at least you get to play a decent amount of battles.

After losing in the second round (again) and having a much more improved team I was bummed to see I lost to a misunderstanding (on my opponents part too) on how Destiny Bond works when even he knew I'd have the win.

andrea

/me cresselias
Dude, having a team full of shinies does not mean they're all hacked (like Firestorm said). I was sporting an entirely shiny team that I bred/caught. Of course, some of my opponents wondered how on earth I'd gotten so many shinies on a single team but were okay with it anyways. Honestly, if you're really worried, you can just ask your opponent how they got them or call for a check.

Wish I'd gone now, sounds like it was good fun. I just hope that next year's is similar, and that they keep all the positive aspects (no lottery system etc.)

I liked getting a Shiny Eevee with Trump Card (A move which takes a lot of effort to get and deals tons of damage after like 1 PP is left.), but I can't see me using it in actual tournaments as one of its evos. Trump Card on an Eevee= Nice! Level 50= awesome! but Hardy nature = not so awesome....

Also to those that were answering my questions. I'm sorry, I'm still new to comp. Pokemon, I don't know THAT much right now.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean really, I have people making short jokes and now you think 13-year-olds with shinies hack? You just described me and I placed 22nd at nationals. (But I don't hack)

Shinies are by no means hacked unless the people are not from a competitive Pokemon site, then it would be safe to assume they might be hacked. If you look at the Wifi part of these forums you'll see how many shinies there are, for some people it is less of a hassle to breed flawless shinies than flawless non-shinies. For captured shiny pokemon just look at 7014gree's trade thread, he has so many shiny ID/SID Combinations for capturing great pokemon, the amount of shinies that can be RNG'ed is amazing so you can not say, they hacked only because they have shinies.

I mean really, I have people making short jokes and now you think 13-year-olds with shinies hack? You just described me and I placed 22nd at nationals. (But I don't hack)
JRank, you are definitely the exception. There are quite a few kids though that spend all their time on gts or serebii wifi chat (never trust it) and end up with numerous, hacked shinies. They dont hack them and they think ooh cool a shiny pokemon, I will use this one. What they dont know is that the person who hacked it also could have hacked its stats. Also little kids that get their hands on an AR many times do not know a think about ivs/evs and think ooh cool lets max out its stats so i can beat the elite four several times, then catch all of cynthias pokemon, and then I will go and walk through walls and get my shaymin. A lot of times little kids do not know what they are doing, and this does happen a lot (I had a lot of friends doing this even in high school). I would say it is a safe assumption that young kids with all shinies are a lot of times hacked. Unless they have a red backpack XD

JRank, you are definitely the exception. There are quite a few kids though that spend all their time on gts or serebii wifi chat (never trust it) and end up with numerous, hacked shinies. They dont hack them and they think ooh cool a shiny pokemon, I will use this one. What they dont know is that the person who hacked it also could have hacked its stats. Also little kids that get their hands on an AR many times do not know a think about ivs/evs and think ooh cool lets max out its stats so i can beat the elite four several times, then catch all of cynthias pokemon, and then I will go and walk through walls and get my shaymin. A lot of times little kids do not know what they are doing, and this does happen a lot (I had a lot of friends doing this even in high school). I would say it is a safe assumption that young kids with all shinies are a lot of times hacked. Unless they have a red backpack XD
I'm 14 years old and used 2 shinies I got on my own, does that also make me an exception! The person who I went against in the third round at Newark said, "That's a lot of shinys." He seemed to know a bit about competitive playing, well at least IVs and EVs, so I told him that I RNG'ed them, he didn't call for a hack check in the end so I know he had some doubts, but he didn't really think that I hacked.

Also I would say that although it sounds like it might be true how you are saying it, you need to remember that only the minority use an AR for pokemon, even less know about anything competitive about Pokemon so the amount of people who will get hacked shiny pokemon and go to the VGC is already very unlikely. Only two people who made it to the finalists lounge at Newark got DQ'ed for hacking, so at the least 2/48 people hacked, probably is more of 20/768 people hacked in any way in the entire thing, so hackers truly are a minority when it comes to competitive play.

Yeah. Very true....

Also, Human RNGed me 2 shinies for my Worlds team, along with 2 more that I have. Soooooo, ill have 4/6 shinies on my team. None of them are hacked since Human, my friend on smogon, RNGed them. :P

Btw, how do you hack check during a game playing? Do they wait for the end and THEN check? It would suck if a person was winning and then got hack-checked, proved false for it, and had to restart their game. D:

They let the game end then do the hack check. I think if the proposed hacker looses then there is no point for a hack check and they don't do one but I may be wrong. It is done after the battle though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)