DOWNTOWN INDIANAPOLIS used Confusion! A critical hit! It's super effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

all credit to Bad Intent for the pic

Thanks Y'all:
As always, before I even begin, I have to give thanks to those who helped me make it. Without you guys I'd be worse than

Yeti. Without your undying support, I never would have had the will to continue when nobody else believed in me, the will to push harder and make top 16 at both Atlanta and Nats 2010. Thank you. Thank YOU.

Teh J-Dawg. A close second. Thanks for good weather, a safe drive, and good times.

Bad Intent. It was seriously awesome finally getting to meet you in real life. You've helped me immensely since those days back on Serebii playing in TRJesse's VGC Tourneys. I don't believe any one person has helped me as much as you have with test battles and good advice.

PokemonBattleBrain. A real metagame genius. My battles with you always teach me something new. Oh, and thank you so, so soooooo much for getting the room lined out for us all. *whew* Plus, hanging out with you in real life is always fun (when you're not blowing chunks).

BlueCookies. The few times we've battled have taught me a lot also. Plus you're awesome to joke with on IRC.

BAHAHAHAH I POSTED A FB PIC OF YOU BAHAHAHAHA at least it's a good one
Drcossack. You've been a serious help to me since VGC 09. You've always been up for a quick battle (even when I'm not lol) and you've always had great team advice for me. Thank you bro.

Greysong. It was such a treat to finally get to meet you. We've been battling since VGC 09 over on Serebii in TRJ's Tourneys, and you've always presented a challenge for me. You've EV'd for me, RNG'd for me, battled. Man. I owe ya.

RandomVGC. My personal EV'er. Thank you for all your hard work man.

Shuttup. Another "Sere-bro". Bro, you're a serious inspiration to me. You always believe in me and support me. Thanks man. It was a real pleasure to meet you in real life.

Massi. Dude. Seriously. We've played a TON of times, and the ONLY time I've EVER beaten you is when I haxed the CRAP out of you. You always give me a tough fight, and I appreciate that.

Fridanny. You RNG'd so many pokemon for me, even the Shiftry and Gengar that I ended up using on my Nats team. You saved me so much time and headache so I could focus on getting used to the VGC 2010 metagame. Thank you so much.

All my #Skarmbliss and #Smogonwifi peeps. Thanks guys for all the battles and for all the good laughs running up to Nats 2010.

Everybody I've traded with. To all of you who helped my thread become so successful, thank you. Because of you guys (and gals, godudette and fridanny) I was always able to have a fully legit EV'd poke on hand to test on wifi. I appreciate each and every one of you.

There are so many more people who helped me out, each in their own way, and I feel terrible because I know I've forgotten someone terribly important to me, but, this trip was literally...

So please don't be too offended if I forgot you specifically. :x

The Trip Down:
Friday Afternoon/Evening. It was a seriously nice drive compared to the 10 hour drive to Atlanta. It only turned out to be like 4 and a half hours, but only because of slow truckers blocking both lanes like the whole trip down. One nice straight shot up 70 almost the whole entire way. There was good weather and manageable traffic. Somehow I didn't have too much trouble finding and picking up BlueCookies around the Convention Center that night (buh buh BUUUUUUUUH!!). Picked up PBB at the airport and found the hotel fairly easily.

Met up with BI at the hotel (yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!) and settled in. PBB scored a seriously nice room for the low price!

SATURDAY MORNING, LCQ:

Somehow, I didn't have too much trouble finding BC around the Convention Center in the BLACK OF NIGHT. HOWEVER, I had the most terrible time navigating that morning. My mapquest directions were absolutely useless and all the one-way streets had me about to punch some random homeless guy's teeth out. I got so lost that I aaaaaaaalmost made PBB too late for the LCQ. But I dropped him off near the Convention Center and found a place to park and he made it in allright.

Thanks for the pic Huy. Mooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwkssss

I met TONS of people including RandomVGC (who took the time to say hi WHILE BATTLING in the LCQ), lots of Worlds 09 Peeps, other well known and lesser known Smogoners, Greysong (yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!) and even (buh buh BUUUUUUHHHH!!) my old pal TR Jesse who hadn't been answering PMs on serebii beforehand and I didn't even know was going to be there.:justin2:

Tons of my friends made tops at LCQ, Got to watch literally the most Epic "top 32" battle that will ever exist (Brianna pwnage, couldn't even break her leads), PBB blew chunks. I'd say it was a pretty good day. But then the "5 minute" drive back literally took me an hour and half because of getting lost AGAIN and road construction closing the exits I needed twice. TWIIIIIIIICE!!!

THE NIGHT BEFORE NATS:
Like everyone else, I had been watching the metagame develop since even before Seattle, since the first rumors about being able to use Ubers surfaced. The way I saw it, it started with Scarfogres, then randomhodgepodge goodstuffs teams made of uubers. Then I started testing Quiet 0spd IronBall Kyogre to force the weather. That became popular, not just because of me, but because it really did work for a time. Then I noticed that after PBB tested my Quiet 0spd Iron Balled Abomasnow paired with Mewtwo, a lot of people started countering IBall Kyogre and Groudon powered weather teams. And then, of course, Paul forever changed this year's metagame with Kyogre / Top. Etc, etc, you get the picture.

Here was the dilemma I was in; should I use a team that I absolutely know will work, or should I use a team I actually like?

Ever since Atlanta, I had made up my mind to swallow my pride this year and just use Ogre / Croak (a good alternate to Ogre / Top). I really wanted that free trip to Hawaii, stakes were higher this year with fewer paid invites, and I didn't want to jack around. I knew from testing that it would get me to top 8, but... it just seemed too... idunno... "not my style". :/

Literally, the night before Nats at like 1AM, when we were all finally settling down to sleep, I decided to completely scrap the team I'd been testing and planning to use for over a month, and go with the first team I'd really fallen in love with waaaaaaay back before Seattle, waaaaaaay back even before the dates/locations/RULES were even announced. This team LITERALLY represents me, my taste in pokemon, my likes in videogames, and ESPECIALLY my general playstyle... here it is. :)

THE TEAM:

Groudon "Fyrus"
Brave
31/31/31/x/31/0
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Iron Ball
Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Fling, Protect

Shiftry "Deku Scrub"
Adamant
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Focus Sash
Fake Out, Sucker Punch, Protect, Explosion (in that very specific order)
Thank you Fridanny!

Gengar "Poe"
Hasty
31/31/31/31/31/31
252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Life Orb
Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Explosion, Protect
Thank you Fridanny!

Giratina O "Dead Hand"
Jolly
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Griseous Orb
Shadow Force, Shadow Sneak, Dragon Claw, Protect

Ho-oh "Helmaroc"
Jolly
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Choice Scarf (lol)
Sacred Fire, Brave Bird, Earthquake, Protect (lol)

Togekiss "Gyorg Pair"
Timid
31/x/31/31/31/31
252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Holding a Choice Band, but usually using either a Life Orb (wow) or a Choice Scarf (lol)
Air Slash, Heat Wave, Follow Me, Protect

Just your basic, "Sun Fueled Explosion Team". It wasn't set up to "counter" anything. It didn't fit well into the "current metagame". I just liked it, and I had pretty much been fooling around with it off and on since we first heard we might be able to use ubers. As soon as people started leading with Abomasnow to shut down Auto-weather teams, this particular team started failing pretty hard. BUT. I kept playing with it here and there, because I really, really, liked it. Maybe its just nostalgia from using a Sunny Day team at Worlds 09, but man, I LOVE Sun teams. :D

Saturday Morning, the 2010 Pokemon National Championship:

Round 1, versus Imawario:

DEAGLE GET OUT OF THE FRIGGIN WAY!! Me behind Deagle(orange) Imawario in yellow. Thanks to theundecided for the pic.
While getting my game out of my DS pouch, my AR fell out onto the little white table area

but I got it put away before Marriland crucified me (nice goat man!).
Imawario's a really cool guy in real life (unlike his firebot persona that he has created for himself). We chatted for a bit and then the battle started.
and then it ended.
4/0 him. My God. I was sweating now. Did I make the wrong decision? Is this team just too weak. Oh crap oh crap oh crap.
Imawario played very well and had a tight team and deserved the win 100%. I played a little to... "defensively?" and Giratina O proved to be nothing but dead weight, so I determined to play more offensively from now on, switched out Gira O for Scarfed Ho-Oh and waited for the next match. This would turn out to be a great decision. Thanks Imawario for the loss. It set me up for the next 5 wins that day!

Round 2, versus David Arnold:

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooose can't find that Nats pic of our battle. :(
Thanks for the FB pic Glen Arnold.
Let me start by saying that I really admire David Arnold. He struts right into Seniors at Atlanta and MOPS THE FLOOR WITH EVERYONE. I mean, bodies everywhere. It was carnage. I seriously was worried sitting down across from him, BUT, he's such a likeable lil dude, that he put me at ease right away.
Battle starts. Looks like a TR lead. I Fake Out his setup poke (Smeargle?) and EQ with Groudon. His Dialga lives and sets up TR
, which as it turns out, and he probably couldn't have known, was good for me cuz of my Groudon. It was a great game.
A real LOL moment came when Greysong and Shuttup were cheering for me on the sidelines and Mrs. Arnold "SHHUSHED" them. David and I just kinda chuckled and I turned to them and was like "Dudes, dudes, chill. David's a bro too."

Round 3, versus Ryuzaki:

Gawd I procrastinated again and lost the link to the Match Pic >_?. Thanks to Huy for the FB Pic.
All I have to say is, sorry for the 1st Turn DClaw Crit on your Scarfed Palkia. Really, really sorry :( You fought really well though after that, but taking out a lead with a Crit on the first turn is hard to come back from. :(

Round 4, versus Wesley:
Why look at a picture when you can watch the vid?

Wesley and I kind of go back a ways. His brother Steve was the only guy to mop the floor with me back at Nats 09 (I ran speed, he ran TR lol). Plus, Wesley beat me fair and square for the "top 8" match down in Atlanta. So, he's like "We meet again, heh".

I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever, but I believe if you watch the vid, you'll notice that Wesley got fairly lucky. My Groudon has never died to a non-orbed DPulse from a Ray before (without a crit) and I think that ho-oh may have survived his Ogre's Muddy Water too since he had little to no SAtk EVs on his Ogre and it wasn't in the rain (Rayquaza). Needless to say, that's the game. No hard feelings. :) Lost that one and moved on.

Round 5, versus... er... ummm.. ??JGiles??
Really sorry if I messed up the name bro. All I remember of this battle was that he lead with Sashzelf and GiraA. Faked out his Zelf (who protected) and switched in my Scarf-oh. I then Suckerpunched his Zelf (who was going to explode). He got a smirk and goes "thank God for the sash, heh" and then I got a smirk and went "thank God for the scarf, heh" as Ho-oh, Brave Bird'd Azelf. PWWWWWWWWWWWWWN!! It was a good close game, but I won.

Round 6, versus Ninahaza:

BROOOOOOOOOOO WHYYYYY MUUUUUUUUUST WEEEEEEEEE BAAAAAAAATLOROOOOOOR?!?!?!
thanks for the awesome pic Ninahaza!

Basic Rundown:
T1: Two Protects = like no damage.
T2: I waste my Fling into his Cress's protect this turn.
I AM DOOMED
T3: Toxics both my Groudon and Shiftry I think
T...somethinerother: lots of switching
Okay Final turns: Basically, it boils down to his Cress alone versus my Shiftry and Groudon. He tries to PP Stall at first and Protect in case of explosions. I just wait him out. I finally see my chance, so I take it. I explode, knowing it won't KO most Cress's (and as it turns out it wouldn't have KO'd his). Health drops, drops, drops.... "A critcal hit!"
YOU
CANNOT
TIME
STUFF
THAT
I really do apologize bro. I realize you totally had that one in the bag. Had I not been a noob and saved my Iron Ball when I KNEW you were going to protect with Cress like turn 2, it would have been a different story. But... that wasn't the case... Wins don't feel good at all when you didn't deserve them...

Round 7, versus Danny:

Thanks to TAD for the pic. Me in the green on the right, just past some random black dude (lol). Danny across the table from me.
It took a little prodding at first to get him to chat, but as soon as he did, it became clear he was a really neat guy. Just came to the VGCs for his kids, made it farther than them (lol). He had a super tight team (Paul's) and used it skillfully.

In the end, I had to sacrifice Ho-Oh to get a quick EQ in there to weaken both his Palkia and Kyogre down enough to where my superweak Orbe'd Gengar's Explosion could KO them both AND THEN just HOPE he didn't protect. Fortunately he didn't. Like the next day, we were talking and he was like "I totally just forgot Gengar GOT Explosion". And we laughed.
Regardless of what other people have said about him, we got along really well. :)

So that was it. Mike Leisik had already said that all 5/2s get in, so it was sealed. In spite of what some people had thought, I had at least won an invite to Worlds 2010!! I was officially...

LORD OF THE NERDS
at least in my own mind

SUNDAY MORNING, BATTLE FOR TEH MONIES

Round 1, versus Milan Patel (Pokeman Master)

Because Mike had *coughfoolishlycough* let us all know who we were facing R1 like a DAY AHEAD OF TIME, I had plenty of time to figure out who Milan was and what he was using. I had faced similar teams before and wasn't really worried. Infact, I hadn't remembered it, but we had actually battled with the exact same teams before Nats (lol). We ran the damage calcs the night before and as long as I Banded my Groudon and his Dialga wasn't like +Def with a ton of Def EVs or a Shucca Berry, there was like a 99% chance of 1HKOing his Dialga with EQ. It would then be 4 on 2 with no Trick Room for him. An easy win for me.

Turn 1: Fake Out his Smeargle, Groudon EQs, Smeargle dies. Dialga... going... going... goooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiing....
stops
hit
point

Then after that, I lost a speed tie to his Sitrus'd Quiet 0spd Ogre, and Ho-oh failed to Brave Bird his non Sashed Abomasnow due to paralysis.

A lot of people would have gotten frustrated. I just let out a big belly laugh.

People. If you don't understand by now, you may never understand.
Originally Said by Fat mattj
Once you reach the top levels of VGC, pokemon ceases to be a game of skill. It becomes a game of luck because you're all "more or less" equally matched. Who gets the first or most Crits. Who gets the first or most paralysis/freeze/burns/poisons. Who wins the first or most speed ties. At the top of the VGC ranks, luck>skill, knowledge, preparation, RNGs, everything. Deal with it. :)
Round 2, versus Milan

Thanks Dan for the LOL pic.
I can't say jack about this match. I actually got lucky myself with DV missing. I SWORE he would have put a Shucca on his Dialga because of how much damage I did to his Dialga before, so I brought out Orbed Gengar with Focus Blast as backup.

T1: Dialga protects, Gengar Focus Blasts (protect), Groudon EQs to bring Smeargle to his sash. SMEARGLE DARK VOIDS!!! :o It misses Gengar but gets Groudon. Then Dialga sets up TR as I Focus Blast into his Chopple >_?WTH?!!? and DV gets Gengar this time.

Many turns of sleep later, it's over.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG, MILAN PATEL HAD A GREAT TEAM, PLAYED EXPERTLY AND ABSOLUTELY DESERVED THE WIN. PROPS TO YOU BRO. ENJOY WORLDS!! :D

I hold nothing against the kid, and hope he has a great time there. As for me, no money means no trip.

BUT

I played well, and had fun.
I have absolutely no regrets.

THOUGHTS ON VGC 2010:

• Mike Liesik is teh man. You and your crew did an amazing job this year. Thanks for listening to us about so many things, the entrant cap, the team scouting, the CHAIRS!!
  • It's all luck at the top kids. As long as you understand and can accept that, it's still fun.
  • The metagame was not stagnant or cramped. Yes there were a lot of ubers, but there were a lot of Rayquazas and Brave Groudons too, which everybody said wouldn't work. This is a good sign for next year's "unknown" metagame. Oh yeah, ABSOL ABSOL AAAAAABSOOOL
  • It was so insanely nice to meet so many great people, especially Bad Intent, Greysong, TR Jesse, and Shuttup.
  • Oh, meeting a few, non-wifi'ers was cool too, DM, Fishy, and Chaos.
  • OMFGZ?! CHAOS KNEW MY NAME?>!kh%)~()&%*(%&()_)(()+_(_%$$%

So what will I be up to now that I'm not going to Worlds 2010? Well... a bunch of this:

And hopefully some more of this too:

Am I going to participate in VGC 2011? Idunno. It really depends on if there are any close stops next year. I'm definitely not driving 10 hours to a Quali again.

I don't really have anything to prove

• I've qualified for the Pokemon World Championship two years in a row now
  • I've placed 17th (worlds 09) or higher (everywhere else) at every VGC event I've been allowed to actually play at
  • I have a successful trade thread (which i'm finally gonna re-open now that VGCs are over)
  • I can manipulate the game's internal RNG to my command
  • the owner of the frigging LARGEST COMPETITIVE POKEMON SITE recognized ME
  • I've roomed (twice now lol) with the owner of largest VGCcentric site.
Needless to say, I'm not really all that motivated anymore.

We'll see. ;)

gawd this was long x_x

Matt, you quite simply rock. :D

But seriously! You need to get the money for worlds somehow.

Man, I'm really sorry that we were paired together in Top Cut. I wanted to see you in Top 8 with me, but I guess it just happened. :(

You are an AWESOME player Matt and very strategic. Your team was super tight and it was definitely a good play that day. Thanks for 2 great matches! :)

Thanks for the luck bro! I'll make you proud at Worlds.

Nice, great long, funny warstory.

(You are one of the main reasons why I was motivated enough to try VGC Sunny Day teams :p )

Congrats on your Top 16 victory in Nats, you very well earned it!

Deleted User 33526

Banned deucer.
NICE READ, and yeah, my opponent had taken about 2-3 minutes to choose each of her moves so I was just waiting when I had given you those cards, hope you liked them!

Hey, Man... Pretty cool story and it was a pleasure to meet you.

I'm sure we'll get to talk more next year as long as you are there. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be going next year.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there

BAHAHAHAH I POSTED A FB PIC OF YOU BAHAHAHAHA at least it's a good one
Drcossack. You've been a serious help to me since VGC 09. You've always been up for a quick battle (even when I'm not lol) and you've always had great team advice for me. Thank you bro.

Just going to say this: you could've gotten a better pic of me (get the one from the Photo Album thread.)

Always happy to help (protip: spend less time RNG'ing. :P) - I am also interested to see what next's rules and bans are though. I'm hoping to see Ubers again; I'll be able to use all the teams I built for this year.

You should STILL go to Worlds though, but congrats on qualifying for it again.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Matt bro, how you been?. i just want to let you know that this thread made me LOL so much that this post almost didnt happpen.
first i read it, then was laughing really hard and had to calm myself down so i can post a quick reply....but then when i scrolled back up i just started laughing hard again.
rense and repeat twice
now here we are

andrea

/me cresselias
Those were my lucky cards bro!
They were lucky for me, too. ;)

Just going to say this: you could've gotten a better pic of me (get the one from the Photo Album thread.).
Psssh that one only shows your eyes, silly! =P

I liked your story, Matt. ^_^ Nats was super amazing and its sad to see that you won't be able to make it to Worlds, but still- you did awesome!!!!

Lemme just point out that during the LCQ morning Huy and I walked up and down the line probably six times looking for you cause we knew PBB would be there somewhere. =P The only reason our group was successful with traveling in Indy was because Dubulous had this super spiffy GTS in the car.

Thennnn I finally saw you during my fourth round match and I was like 'Heck yes, it's mattj!' And then I proceeded to win that match 4-0. Props to you for giving me the motivation to do well during it. ^_^ I only wish we would have gotten to hang out longer during the weekend- or at least snag a picture! But its all good- hopefully I'll be seeing you next year. =) Congrats again!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Great story man! Very well-written, and you described the battles simply enough that a non-pokemoner like me could understand. It was good to meet you too, although we didn't get to chat long because the finals were starting.

And you play guitar too??? Damn, I'm definitely making you bring that to the next event we both attend. Which will probably be when I will actually be an entrant. We'll see who mops the floor with whom!

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Great story man! Very well-written, and you described the battles simply enough that a non-pokemoner like me could understand. It was good to meet you too, although we didn't get to chat long because the finals were starting.

And you play guitar too??? Damn, I'm definitely making you bring that to the next event we both attend. Which will probably be when I will actually be an entrant. We'll see who mops the floor with whom!
I'll make your teams for you in that case. I have a good winrate against matt. :)

besides, depending on what's banned next year, I'll have about 10 teams I can give to people who need them.

The only reason our group was successful with traveling in Indy was because Dubulous had this super spiffy GTS in the car.
You spelled GPS as GTS :P Its alright I do it too except when I'm in class lol =x

Mattj congrats on your success this season! I recorded your best 2/3 match so expect to see it on youtube :) After beating you 2092209873 times at worlds 09 the day before the tourny (really discharging your own pokemon? lol), I'm glad to see you made topcut again this year. Congrats once again :)

andrea

/me cresselias
You spelled GPS as GTS :P Its alright I do it too except when I'm in class lol =x
Ahahahahahahah I totally asked someone right before I posted what the initials were and I still screwed it up. XD Pokemon on the brain.... lulz.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
After beating you 2092209873 times at worlds 09 the day before the tourny (really discharging your own pokemon? lol), I'm glad to see you made topcut again this year. Congrats once again :)
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
but WHOOOOO would expect me to Discharge my Heatran?!!?!!
IT'S THE PERFECT PLAN BUWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA
THank me for the chople lol.
lol chopple that was so random!

[edit]
AHAHAHA RVGC I stole all uyr lucks

Great story matt, it was nice to meet you again. Shame we didn't get to talk or hang out much, but from the little we did it seemed like you were in good spirits. I'm glad you had a great time, and I hope to see you at nats again next year! Maybe I won't fail so hard again =/ Just FYI, I lost to your round 7 opponent (Danny) in the LCQ round 2. He seemed nice enough to me, but he didn't really say anything during our match.

No actually I tested with Milan a bunch of times and he decided to use chople because of it. Good for him too (:

Great story man and you know, you are one of the best VGC players I know ;) But when it comes to taking paid trips, most good players get haxed out when it counts the most.

Seriously hoping you're going in 2011 so we can try to win the trip to worlds again for a second meeting after San Diego's last year. =)

Every time I read a VGC warstory, it makes me think about how much I missed by not going. I seriously gotta find the time next year to go.

At any rate, nice warstory, and I love all the signs in Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)