Worlds Last Chance Qualifier - Kona, HI - August 13, 2010 - OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hey guys if someone wouldnt mind letting me room with them then i can make it down to hawaii forsure for the LCQ, chill and root for you guys. especially the ones that have a TPCI paid trip and hotel[ if you dont already have the max 4 per room :( ]. just PM me :)

thanks in advance and hopefully i will see you guys there :).

Ninahiza might be able to go! No need to worry about not knowing what's going on during the VGC now, a lot of photos to show everyone what's going on!

Ninahaza

Ninahiza might be able to go! No need to worry about not knowing what's going on during the VGC now, a lot of photos to show everyone what's going on!
o is that what i am known for now on the smogon vgc forums, hmmm i was going more for "master strategist" or "outstanding battler", o well guess with no regional, nationals or worlds titles to my name i will have to wait till next year[unless i win in hawaii...do you believe in miracles?] to achieve those goals.....untill then i guess being known for "photos" will have to do haha, could be way worse
--- )

Your photos and vids are really great and help those who can not make it know what is going on. And at least you are know for something lol

I like the photos and the Toxic stall team you used, I got to see how it worked on Pokemon Online, it looked like a lot of fun as I told you there. It is just that the photos is a bonus for telling everyone how the VGC is going for everyone.

Ninahaza

PPFFFFT you guys kidding me. i love pictures i was just joking up there haha, dude i am taking a 12 megapixel nikon HD camera that can store a ton to hawaii, i only need to read the huge manual so i know how all these dam options work to get a good pic.
and next year i am getting a vgc title, atleast a regional hopefully :)

o is that what i am known for now on the smogon vgc forums, hmmm i was going more for "master strategist" or "outstanding battler", o well guess with no regional, nationals or worlds titles to my name i will have to wait till next year[unless i win in hawaii...do you believe in miracles?] to achieve those goals.....untill then i guess being known for "photos" will have to do haha, could be way worse
--- )
Lol - you could be like me and be known for correcting people who say Nintendo, when it is TPCI that runs the VGC's.

Yes, it's a fully owned subsidiary of Nintendo that runs VGC, not Nintendo.
You need to do a bit more research. Either that or you are just pushing my buttons. :-P

In 2006 Pokemon USA (When Pokemon USA and Pokemon UK merged, they changed to TPCI) became it's own company. TPCI is in charge of everything from event organization to distribution of the Pokemon brand. TPCI does not do the distribution of video games, but in in charge of their tournament play.

TPCI is a subsidiary of POJ, not Nintendo.

2006 Journey Across America was PUI's (Now TPCI) first attempt at video game tournament play. 2007 passed without a peep. 2008 Had their second attempt at it with the 2008 Video Game Showdown with an astounding success. 2009 TPCI formed the Video Game Event team to prepare for the future of Video Game tournaments, as well as the 2009 Video Game Championships. The trend continues today with the pokemon Video Game Championship in 2010.

Here is a post from Mike liesik saying that TPCI has it's own dedicated Video Game Event team as of 2009.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100209

Any other questions?

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Well, he and I are both members of Team Mike, so his picking me is natural. Of course, with my luck, we'll have to battle before top 8. I want to avoid a "two Mikes enter, only one leaves" situation though.

also: remember not to lose to un-EV'd teams.
Cossack, you haven't even won a VGC match, so you have no grounds to talk. At least Zog has 1 win.

Edit: Ultimatedra, why did Nintendo pick Hawaii as the location for Worlds? Did Nintendo really want not many people to show up? Does Nintendo even think about the player base when holding these tournaments?

As I recently found out it isn't Nintendo, it is TPCi! They were considering Japan and America, the closest area between the two.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You need to do a bit more research. Either that or you are just pushing my buttons. :-P

In 2006 Pokemon USA (When Pokemon USA and Pokemon UK merged, they changed to TPCI) became it's own company. TPCI is in charge of everything from event organization to distribution of the Pokemon brand. TPCI does not do the distribution of video games, but in in charge of their tournament play.

The Pokemon Company International (TPCI) has two branches now. One is in Japan and the other is based in the USA. TPCI itself is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo. Just because the USA branch overseas the USA and UK does not mean it is a subsidiary of Japan's branch. Yes, they defer to Japan and Japan might be higher up the food chain, but in terms of Economics and Commerce TPCI is a subsidiary of Nintendo. Calling TPCI "Nintendo" might be innaccurate, and no one is denying that Liesek's team is running things, but Nintendo does own Pokemon.

This is akin to calling Pixar "Disney". While, yeah, okay, Pixar is a subdivision it is still owned by Disney.

Cossack, you haven't even won a VGC match, so you have no grounds to talk. At least Zog has 1 win.

Edit: Ultimatedra, why did Nintendo pick Hawaii as the location for Worlds? Did Nintendo really want not many people to show up? Does Nintendo even think about the player base when holding these tournaments?
I would think it is one of two reasons:
1-VERY nice place for players (and staff hehe) to go.
2-They are on a rotating trend. 2004 & 2008-Orlando. 2005-Los Angles. 2006 & 2009-San Diego. 2007 & 2010-Hawaii.

Looks to me that 2005 was the odd year, but other than that they have just rotated between the spots.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

2006 Journey Across America was PUI's (Now TPCI) first attempt at video game tournament play. 2007 passed without a peep. 2008 Had their second attempt at it with the 2008 Video Game Showdown with an astounding success. 2009 TPCI formed the Video Game Event team to prepare for the future of Video Game tournaments, as well as the 2009 Video Game Championships. The trend continues today with the pokemon Video Game Championship in 2010.

Here is a post from Mike liesik saying that TPCI has it's own dedicated Video Game Event team as of 2009.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100209

Any other questions?
skarm already corrected you, but I just want to repeat that this isn't entirely correct. You also failed to note that even if TPCI was a subsidiary of Pokemon of Japan, Pokemon Japan would still have been owned by Nintendo. There's a reason Nintendo includes their TPCI assets in their annual reports. They are the top level. It's more precise to call them TPC or TPCI but it's still not wrong to call them Nintendo and going off on anyone for it is really just nitpicking.

Thank you to all who have done research on this pointless matter. I now have a conversation starter at dinner parties "Did you know that TPCI is owned by Nintendo and therefore can be called Nintendo? There have been extensive studies and research on this topic." I will be the hit of the party or where ever I might tell this story.

On a side note, does the rotation of Nationals sites mean that next years will be back in the continental US because that would be great if I loose (to a freakin hacker... not mad...) again and have to pay my way to nats lcq or just to go watch.

Thank you to all who have done research on this pointless matter. I now have a conversation starter at dinner parties "Did you know that TPCI is owned by Nintendo and therefore can be called Nintendo? There have been extensive studies and research on this topic." I will be the hit of the party or where ever I might tell this story.
The fuck is up with you always tryna police shit?

I want to read actual news. The discussion of whether or not TPCI is Nintendo or not does not seem relevant to this tread and it gets my hopes up when I see that there is more posts. I like reading important news to vgc, thats why I come to the vgc section. I'm sorry if I seem more easily annoyed lately, I'll try harder at keeping my real world life (as crappy as it may be) from affecting my attitude as I post from now on. You may carry on with the discussion of Nintendo vs. TPCI if you really want to lol

Anyone got any suggestions for relatively cheap accommodation that's going to be close to the LCQ?
From what I looked at, the King Kamehameha hotel looked good and cheap but I think it's a fair distance away. I managed to get booked into the Hilton itself but it was expensive.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
From what I looked at, the King Kamehameha hotel looked good and cheap but I think it's a fair distance away. I managed to get booked into the Hilton itself but it was expensive.
Are we going out for tea when you're there one day?

Are we going out for tea when you're there one day?
Rofl, considering how I don't like tea I don't know. :P

But hey maybe. I will be wearing a yugioh Frog the Jam card on a lanyard by the way, and will be doing my best to get a Venomoth card that I can wear also. Just funky stuff like that- I should be easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)