Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Lady Umbreon

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyone have a torture chamber I can rent for the judges?

The Finalists

Fuzzberry
Score: 21 Points
Alchemator said:
2 - Fuzzberry

Thought I'd give you a couple of points before my henchmen come to kill you. I've seen you plotting against me >:( Jesting aside, you have actually managed to defy what I said, and I respect you for that :P Just don't do it again xD
Wyverii said:
6 - Fuzzberry

Not only should this go in most humorous but it's also well done considering the constraints between the two Pokemon.
Seven Deadly Sins said:
6 - Fuzzberry

There isn't enough praise around for me to give to this sprite. The concept is hilarious, and even though Alchemator specifically said "not happening", Fuzzberry manages to make it work here. This disguise stands out as well because it's not just a simple recolor of Tyranitar due to the altered patterns on the upper torso and upper leg areas. 6.
Jumpluff said:
7 - Fuzzberry

Clever use of Tyranitar's diamond-shaped center to incorporate Magikarp's yellow parts, with touches like the 'whsker' down the side of its face. Great spriting skills shine through here. These two were quite hard to work with, but you did absolutely marvelously. I think a thicker, more Magikarp-like lip would've served you well here.

the interwebs
Score: 14 Points
Alchemator said:
6 - the interwebs

I've always felt sorry for Beedrill, but with this shiny new disguise he's sure to get used more! ;D A smooth sprite with a colour scheme that strangely suits the wasp.
Wyverii said:
3 - the interwebs

Nice work on the wings but the shading on the dark parts of the abdomen doesn't seem finished and I think the drills should have had their shading changed from the original sprite at least.
Seven Deadly Sins said:
5 - the interwebs

I like this Beedrill disguised as Scizor a lot, mainly because it has that key aspect of "added effort" in it. The torso is altered to match Scizor's pattern, the yellow spots are added onto the hands, and the metal wing covers are also added to the top wings. All in all, a solid and effective sprite. 5.

Seven Deadly Sins
Score: 13 Points
Alchemator said:
4 - Seven Deadly Sins

So many fantastic sprites this week left such a great sprite lower down in the rankings :( I really have no qualms with this, but maybe don't bother with the eye regardless of whether it's scratched - it would affirm that this is definitely a disguise.
Wyverii said:
5 - Seven Deadly Sins

Poor Chomp. I think more should have been done with the markings here to help make it look more like Flygon but it's a nice sprite none the less.
Seven Deadly Sins said:
What? Another awesome sprite from SDS? Say it aint so, Joe!
Jumpluff said:
4 - Seven Deadly Sins

Textbook good spriting here, with extra attention to detail. Not the simplest of concepts, so props for the execution. It's bald though... but that's what comes with the shape! The top part of the tail fin is missing the black shadowing, and I feel the stripes on said tail, which are a distinctive part of Flygon, could be better distributed.

R S E FR LG
Score: 13 Points
Alchemator said:
R S E FR LG

Geeeeaaarrrrrr :> Great sprite, yet still [very very very] regrettably garners no points from me :( I really do like this though!
Wyverii said:
7 - R S E FR LG

Such a cute idea and definitely should be in the most original category too. Cleanly done concept.
Jumpluff said:
6 - R S E FR LG

Great disguise, especially since you don't have an actual Gear sprite to copy pixels from. The concept was a little obvious, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Using the Bronzor base, you've done the best you can and it is applaudable.

Lady Umbreon
Score: 9 Points
Alchemator said:
Lady Umbreon

I'm a big fan of this sprite, despite it not getting any points from me. The scales are nicely scratched on, and the general execution is great.
Seven Deadly Sins said:
7 - Lady Umbreon

This very classy sprite is another one of my favorites, a Froslass disguised as Milotic. The recolored sections are done extremely well, but what stands out are the scratched scale markings on this disguise's torso that really seal the deal for me. The fact that everything about this sprite is done so perfectly makes it easy for me to award this a 7.
Jumpluff said:
2 - Lady Umbreon

Very original. I'm a sucker for originality. Well-scratched clustered scales, appropriately done smaller to be proportionate. Red or blue might've been better for the mouth, tehough, and you could always make the hands like Milotic's skin. Those nitpicks are just my opinion, but I think they would look a lot better.
------

Those who didn't make it

In a competition as tough as this, only 5 can be chosen. Some great sprites are bound to be left out :< Take a gander at the judges' comments and see if you can spot a way to step up just that little bit higher into the top 5!

Jug of Voodoo
Score: 7 Points
Alchemator said:
7 - Jug of Voodoo

An excellent sprite which is not only a great concept but is flawless execution-wise. It was very difficult to pick the top spot this week, but you've pulled it off!

aXl
Score: 2 Points
Alchemator said:
5 - aXl

So many great entries this week - I don't know whether to feel happy that the standard is constantly being raised or sad that so many great sprites are knocked down the rankings. Nonetheless, this is - as usual - a flawless sprite. I'm somewhat surprised it isn't a Gallade, but I still love it ;D
Seven Deadly Sins said:
2 - aXl

This Gliscor disguised as Wormadam-Grass is done quite effectively. I like the flowers on the hands, and the color scheme works very well for Gliscor. This picks up my 2 easily.

Infiltrator
Score: 5 Points
Alchemator said:
Infiltrator

With sprites like these you're bound to win something sometime, just not today :( I feel so bad not being able to give this sprite some points, it just isn't as freakin' amazing as the finalists. I'm sorry :<
Jumpluff said:
5 - Infiltrator

Now it almost looks like a re-pose! Very nice work here. I can see you've put a lot of effort it into it, and the sprite reflects on this.

Amplafied
Score: 4 Points
Alchemator said:
Amplafied

A great sprite, but unfortunately a slightly cliché'd concept. I look forward to what you come up with in the future!
Wyverii said:
4 - Amplafied

Not the most original idea but it's done well enough and nice to look at.

DragonBreath
Score: 4 Points
Alchemator said:
DragonBreath

Pretty much everything has been done well here, except the red outline on the "fins" is questionable. Unfortunately such a small error with such fantastic sprites knocks this completely out of the running :( Still, an admirable effort!
Seven Deadly Sins said:
4 - DragonBreath

This great sprite, a disguise of Gyarados as the mighty Rayquaza, is fun and effective. The coloring matches well, and I like the yellow band across Gyarados' side which matches Rayquaza's sprite, as well as the red outlines on Gyarados' fins. Solid execution on a cool concept wins this a 4 from me.

Doran Dragon
Score: 3 Points
Alchemator said:
3 - Doran Dragon

Why do I love it when people use the second frames of sprites :P A great mix between the two most powerful Psychic-types ever, and a nice pose too!

CharizardKiller
Alchemator said:
CharizardKiller

I'm really happy that you said you'd take everything on board that the judges said, and this really has turned out as a solid sprite :) I'm slightly unsure about the white parts of the wings though, they don't seem to fit. In a week of flawless sprites, a tiny error like this means that it has to be left out of the top 7 :( Please continue to enter though!
Seven Deadly Sins said:
3 - CharizardKiller
While not the most inventive sprite, I liked this concept for its simplicity and execution. Farfetch'd is one of a small number of Pokemon that actually hold a weapon (term used very loosely) in its hand (again, term used very loosely), so it's a fitting concept. 3.

Universal Berry
Alchemator said:
Universal Berry

A superb effort for one of your first sprites, but is slightly too basic to displace some of the other entries, meaning that it regrettably gets no points from me :(
Jumpluff said:
3 - Universal Berry

Wow, it took me awhile to realise what this was, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Far from it. Very clever concept, with decent execution. The biggest flaw here is, in my opinion, the fact the line isn't closed. Turtwig's original spite has good, solid outlines.

Staraptor Call
Score: 2 Points
Alchemator said:
Staraptor Call

A decent sprite, but not quite good enough to make it into the top 7 out of 33 entries. Please continue entering though!
Wyverii said:
2 - Staraptor Call

Between Xilaa's sprite and Staraptor's this is the cleaner one, especially around the body. The marking are well done though the concept isn't very orginal.

Dogfish44
Score: 1 Point
Alchemator said:
1 - Dogfish44

As I've said so many times in my comments, there were 33 sprites entered this week - all of which are of great quality. This is a flawless sprite, but just doesn't have any qualities which make it fantastic (I.E., humour). Still, a great showing my friend!

Xilaa
Alchemator said:
Xilaa

It seems you struggled a bit with this week's theme. While this is a solid sprite, it just isn't quite at the same level as some of the other entries. Keep tapping into that potential though ;D
Wyverii said:
1 - Xilaa

The lines should be smoothed out on the wing design, they look jagged, otherwise a fair disguise.

Bynine B
Alchemator said:
Bynine B

I don't get the reference, but still a great sprite ;D
Seven Deadly Sins said:
1 - Bynine B

As much as I'd like to praise this sprite for being the first one to follow the damn rules, there are a lot of issues with it. First, the fact that it's not transparent AND that it's not actually on the 80x80 canvas irks me technically, because those are simple technical aspects that spriters should know. However, the other issue is that it's not immediately apparent what the "disguised Pokemon" is, which is an issue when the actual point of the competition is "disguises". Also, choosing not make it a disguise of another Pokemon irks me somewhat 1.

felixmartin
Alchemator said:
felixmartin

This was definitely the closest sprite to getting some points but didn't :< Great concept and nice execution, but couldn't quite make it to my top 7.
Jumpluff said:
1 - felixmartin

Great adaptation, with the appropriate accents and planning. I think a brighter colour would've fit for the bottom zigzag, since the above zig zags don't have dark outlines (if they have outlines at all... gdi I need my glasses :x) and it's darker than the majority of the outline. Good segments on the hat, since Snover's hat doesn't have sections. It allows you to include Ludicolo's iconic pineapple hat, and the Snovercolo rocks it with aplomb.

Server Crash
Score: 0 Points
Alchemator said:
Server Crash

A well-executed sprite and nice concept, but just doesn't have that extra oomph to make it into the top 7, I'm sorry :(

JarardoMartino
Alchemator said:
JarardoMartino

This was actually one of my favourites for a long time, but when it came to judging this great sprite just couldn't grab any points before the others. Don't be discouraged though, this is great!

Awesomeguy123
Alchemator said:
Awesomeguy123

This is a big improvement since your first sprite, but hasn't quite made it this week :( Reminds me of one of those colourant-filled slushies though, I could just have one now... :P

Paranoia Survivor
Alchemator said:
Paranoia Survivor

A nice sprite, but the simple concept lets it down somewhat. I look forward to your other entries though! :)

DjGopher
Alchemator said:
DjGopher

Baalllooooonnnn. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be a mon, and for that reason I haven't given it any points. I still like it though :) p.s. Your other entry was illegal

Steffan
Alchemator said:
Steffan

I love this :(

Ulysses
Alchemator said:
Ulysses

The shading is slightly off on the tail (probably due to removing all of the markings) but otherwise nice job. I'm sad I couldn't give this any points.

Kalizra
Alchemator said:
Kalizra

For your first sprite on Smogon, this really is very good. However, in such a ruthless week a simple concept such as this one just doesn't get enough love :( Please continue to enter!

shinysneasel125
Alchemator said:
shinysneasel125

First of all, AAAAHHH THAT CANVAS! It's a decent disguise, but the canvas really needs fixing. In my first spriting article I cover how to control the canvas, you might want to take a look at it.

Diploman
Alchemator said:
Diploman

For one of your first sprites ever this is really very good, but unfortunately doesn't get any points :< We'll see how it does in the smog competition though ;D

Noob dooM
Alchemator said:
Noob dooM

This sprite just seems a bit too blocky to me :<

johanduvet
Alchemator said:

Meru
Alchemator said:
Meru

A nicely done, if cliché'd concept but nothing too special, meaning that it sadly gets no points :( Transparency is always a plus too.

funerallaughter
Alchemator said:
funerallaughter

I quite like this sprite, but the lack of black in the outline makes it look slightly distorted in some way. This is most likely because of the excessive dithering Masquerain naturally has. Transparency also helps.

Alchemator
Alchemator said:
Does anyone else see the irony in the guy who wrote the guide coming last :P

Honourable Mentions

Most Humourous
Alchemator

Most Original
funerallaughter

------

So there we have it - but who will you choose? Vote at the top of the thread, and post your comments here! [Please do not simply post "Voted for X" - Give reasoning! :D]

NOTE: DO NOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF

That be cheating! (Not everyone is as ruthless as you :P)

I specifically said in the thread that The PachiVire thing was my entry =/

OK!

I added the twig on his head so now it's "legal".

EDIT: I've also done this:

No more NU for me! Mwahahahaha!

EDIT: PachiVire is my entry.

Sincerly its not that bad since i was far away from winning anyways.

Congrats to the top 5!

EDIT: I read all the comments Alch, and you're always SAD!!! I'm SAD, you couldnt make it to the top 7, Im sad cuz its such a nice sprite, bla, bla, bla... You're doing great dude! You cant choose them all even if you wanted! You shouldnt be sad for us, you should encourage us to improve our skills!

Although i knew you liked my sprite :D

umm quick question...was alchemator the ONLY one who even rated mine? what the hell is going on? all the judges should rate for all of the sprites >:(

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Life > Mons

Obviously this is the ideal situation, but we really don't have time to comment on THIRTY-THREE different sprites. Currently it's voluntary, though if I get them motivated enough I am seeking to change this.

@Universal Berry - Sorry I didn't notice, that's my fault :)

EDIT:
Fixed

Life > Mons

Obviously this is the ideal situation, but we really don't have time to comment on THIRTY-THREE different sprites. Currently it's voluntary, though if I get them motivated enough I am seeking to change this.

@Universal Berry - Sorry I didn't notice, that's my fault ->:(<-
Stop it already >=|

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Could I suggest making a higher limit for judge votes?
Maybe if you have half the sprites (Take away 1 for odd numbers of sprites)

So this week would be (33-1)/2 = 32/2 = 16 (Far too many math lessons of writing every last operation >_>)
That would give spriters more hope, particulary Sprite #ABCXYZ you said was good, but no dice. (Thanks for giving Kingerpie a good score ^_^)
It could easily effect the top 5 though, and would take more time, but just my 2 cents.
(PS: 5+2 = 7, not 2 (Poor aXl))​

Without intending disrespect, what was most humourous about the most humourous winner? Are Fuzzberry and SDS's disqualified as being funny because they are also really good?

But.. it was disguised as Munna.. I tried to make it as obvious as possible.. D :

Well, anyway. SDS was my favorite here.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
I very much like Interweb's Beedril. It has a very smooth, natural look to it, and it's just a cool color for the 'mon.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
voted for rodan for next wsc host
Voted for interwebs because it was the one I liked the most. What other criteria are we supposed to use?

Yes, you guys need to to fix up the judging because alot who didn't make it definitely deserved to be in the top 5 (King of Voodoo best one in my opinion.) voted for the interwebs

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, you guys need to to fix up the judging because alot who didn't make it definitely deserved to be in the top 5 (King of Voodoo best one in my opinion.) voted for the interwebs
?_?

Don't imply that the judging was "broken" because the one that you liked didn't make top 5. It's incredibly insulting to the judges, who put a hell of a lot of work into doing this every week.

?_?

Don't imply that the judging was "broken" because the one that you liked didn't make top 5. It's incredibly insulting to the judges, who put a hell of a lot of work into doing this every week.
I think the purpose is to denounce the judges...

I'd just like judges to be more active, and more involved in something they volunteered to do. :O

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I voted for Lady Umbreon's; the scales are really cool, and it just gives off a really cool, elegant vibe. But I'm a big fan of Fuzzberry's too! ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)