Inception (spoilers)

since theres no general movies thread and i wanted to talk about how holy fucking amazing this movie is, heres a thread where we can all scratch our heads over some of the details, and tell stories about how the cinema you were in reacted to that ending

ill go ahead and say that, as alot of people probably know, the prestige and memento are like, 2 of my favourite movies ever, and although i wouldnt rank it above them, this is yet another reason why chris nolan is the fucking best.

i will say though i thought the start was a bit rushed and didnt really grip me a whole lot what with them having to explain some of the dream mechanics. some of that stuff felt a little bit contrived with all the "rules" and stuff, but from the plane onwards, the whole heist was just oh my goooood.

so yeah, let's all marvel at how amazing chris nolan is.

AAAHHHH inception it was brilliant it was such a refreshing original movie that was super entertaining a perfect summer film.

fuck i might rant about it later or something with more legit thoughts

very good film. like most of nolans work, i dont enjoy it that much the first time through because im too busy paying attention to the minor details instead of just enoying the movie. I saw it saturday and will be seeing it again saturday morning and i KNOW i will love it this time.

this was absolutely the best movie I've seen all year. I definitely stayed interested through the whole film (didn't feel 2.5 hours long to me), especially during the dream scene with Cobb and Ariadne. It was amazing to see the way they sculpted the dream as they were in it (especially when she moved the mirror door things to make it into a bridge; fucking amazing).

The one disappointment I had was that Arthur and Saito didn't have bigger parts, since I love both the actors and I wished they were more developed or whatever :(

also now I just really want to date Ellen Paige

Inception was GREAT, just I got a tiny bit confused at what level the dream was on sometimes =P The ending was so great though. I was suspecting it to end when the kids are right about to turn around, but I'm glad you get to see their faces, but instead it ends much more meaningfully than what I had intended. Definitely best movie of not only the summer, but of the year so far (at least in my opinion)

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the best part of this movie for me was that i knew absolutely nothing about it going in. and that is where it really hit home... the plot. It is really hard to think of a movie that has a better premise / plot than this film. Its limits are endless and it is so utterly captivating.

I was seriously on the edge of my seat the entire second half of the movie, after spending the better part of the first half just trying to piece together what the fuck was going on.

The action was great... which both makes me happy and disappoints me. The one problem I had with this movie was that the intellectual side was more "can you actually follow whats going on" rather than "this is a psychological fucking thriller and can you figure it out / how do you interpret it".

By that I mean the movie put no real expectations in your head and everything just kind of unfolded. I am not going to say it was predictable as there were plot twists, but every twist just had me saying "oh thats cool" rather than "wow that's fucked" which is what I want to say in a "psychological" type movie.

looking back and trying to reflect on it, it is hard to. the movie doesn't really pose any real life questions we can take away as the only questions that can be asked must be worked within the framework of the movie (aka the rules). That is pretty much the only reason I can't walk away and say "this is one of the greatest movies ever".

So yeah if you want to be taken on a roller coaster ride filled with suspense, great action, great scores, brain stimulation in trying to actually follow what is going on and possibly the most intruiging plot I have ever heard of in a movie, then you will absolutely love this film, and probably give it a 10/10.

The important thing to note is to not expect some sort of life altering film that will make you think, as like I said it cannot possibly change the way you see the world or put a new perspective on anything, and for that reason it is hard to call it one of the greatest films ever.

yeah, jackal just said pretty much exactly what i would have said if id been bothered to elaborate when i made this

definitely agree with the music. i guess a good film score should just be unnoticed, but in the 5 minute or so sequence where the cars plummetting toward the water and everythings all like "oh shit are they gonna get all the kicks synchronized" i really noticed it, the way it would build up all this tension then release it.

i havent got much else to say that hasnt been said/that will be said. i mostly just made this thread to say fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

edit: actually i meant to say also that i felt like the pre-plane section of the film really could have used an extra 10 minutes to flesh out some scenes or characters. the introduction of ariadne (which is a dumb name) felt kind of rushed, and so did some of the explanations of the dream stuff. anyone else agree? :>

ariadne was a greek goddess who helped theseus get through the labyrinth so i guess it's kind of appropriate with them talking about all the maze stuff

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok so i just saw the movie with my girlfriend and we kinda had an argument over the end scene.

Did the top fall down or not? I thought it kept spinning meaning he was in a dream, while my girlfriend said it didn't show it falling or not falling so it would lead to a squeal. What do you think?

Nolan generally doesn't do sequels; the Batman trilogy is an exception.

The question was left open as to whether it was real or a dream.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Fantastic movie.

Good lord, I'm speechless because the movie is simply to good. The ending has me thinking twice. I'm infected by an idea!

Nolan generally doesn't do sequels; the Batman trilogy is an exception.
That might be the perfect title for any sequel. Or maybe not.

Anyway, just saw this movie today, and I am in almost complete agreement with the general consensus. What made this unique to me was that it was so confusing on occasions that it made my head spin, yet I was so utterly compelled all the way through regardless. Having said that, I would rate this as par for the course for Nolan movies, which is testament to just how good he is I suppose.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Saw it last night.

The ideas were just fresh enough to keep me interested without being so much of a mindfuck that I had no idea what was going on. Only part I started getting lost was the fourth level near the end.

Last half of the movie was like four action movies at the same time =P Absolutely loved some of the little touches like having someone left behind on each level as the architect of the next.

Fucking fantastic movie, I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread, this movie was great, kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and after seeing it with four friends we then proceeded to spend the rest of the night, until around when the sun rose at around 6am talking about this movie. Also we then watched the dark knight because we were having an argument about which was better, and one of our friends some fucking how had not seen the dark knight.

Damn good movie, seeing it again in around a week.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah it kept me on the "edge of my seat," if by that you mean the movie was so long that I was slowly sliding down my seat and had to keep adjusting my position.

Like Jackal, I knew nothing about the movie coming in. Unlike my friends and nearly everyone else in the world, I did not like the movie at all. It felt like a 4 hour movie. I just wanted to get to the ending, which reminds me of Watchmen.

While that movie had too much back story, this one had relatively none. I would have loved to see some of the characters get more developed, but as they didn't, I didn't really care what happened during the action, which was confusing at best.

The length and no development just left me with an empty feeling after I left.

Inception does a very good job of setting the mood. Christopher Nolan focused on the right details to fit the feel of each scene, for example the breaking glass in the hotel and the isolation of the MGS-esque base in the third dream level. Hans Zimmer's musical score also sets the mood well.

As mentioned before, Inception has very good ideas and an engaging plot. The fight scene with shifting gravity is probably the best fight scene I've ever seen in a movie, and the ambiguous ending leaves the viewer thinking about the movie long after it ends. My only real criticism is that the first half could have used some more development, especially of the secondary characters and Mr. Cobb's relations to them.

It was completely awesome. Spoiler...
Towards the end of the movie, I almost lost track of how many layers of dreams they were in, and eventually I worked out that they were asleep on the plane, in the van, in the hotel room, and in the military base.

So, is DiCaprio in a dream or the real world at the end of the movie? I think he was in the real world because the top was fluxuating on the table, while if you recall the top spinning in the dollhouse safe, it had no fluxuation at all. My other theory is that he was in the real world, but the top was staying up because he was living his dream in reality.

I managed to keep track of the dream layers :D

Anyway, it's probably the best film I've seen this year so far. I like action films, but the psychological aspects really made it.

One thing I didn't really approve of was that the dreams weren't dream-like enough. Real dreams are real-time (rather than an hour of dream time corresponding to 5 minutes of real time), and are also much less realistic :P
I guess they had to do that to make it more gripping, though; if it had been more dream-like, it would have been a completely different film.

As with Wichu, I didn't really like how the movie described "five minutes of real time as one hour of dream time", when in reality the times are approximately the same, although the serums they use can make this plausible.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Good movie. Random, disjointed thoughts:

I enjoyed the concept.. going in, all I knew about the film was that there were a bunch of pretty well known actors directed by Nolan with a focus on dreams. Not quite what I expected to be but that's a positive.

I don't know why anyone would find this difficult to follow but there were people talking behind my gf and I as we left about their head hurting and being confused. I thought it was pretty straight forward. I almost felt it was too long just because of how much they had to explain.

The time thing for dreams makes sense, IMO. Certain drugs can have a time dilation effect (ex: pot) and it could reasonably be argued that a dream state could do that to you as well. Time doesn't really slow down, just your perception of it, and I think that's all they were really going for in the film.

There was a lot of groaning at the end of the film in my theater because it cut out with the top still spinning but I think it's fairly obvious that it was "real life." The top appeared to wobble a bit before the movie ended and we actually saw the faces of his children. In all the dreams, we only saw the backside of the boy and girl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)