How do you play Pokemon in-game?

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
I play through every game thoroughly - I make sure to catch as many Pokemon as possible, visit every location and meet every NPC, and most importantly, raise a full team of 6 equally-strong Pokemon throughout the game. I only use Pokemon availible in-game, and train whoever suits my tastes and team best. Although I do use HM slaves, they are only in my party when absolutely necessary.

It may be more efficient to only train one or two Pokemon for a play-through, but I think you miss a lot of the flavor and experience of the Pokemon games like that. I plan on training a full team again in B/W, picking up my new favorites on the journey!

I train Pokemon and don't do enough catching. That said I have trained 2 different teams already. Which are now pretty meh. I need to train more.

In my Pearl, I soloed with Torterra...up until the ice gym. Then, I raised a Psyduck to Golduck to beat her.

In my HeartGold, I'm catching whatever I feel like, and using Pokemon I like on my team.

I always make an seperate in-game team when I play, my competitive team stays in the PC for most of the game.

The in-game team is used for the main part of the game, catching Pokemon, and exploring the map. It usually consists of my starter, the main legendary, and 4 other pokemon that I like. For example, here was my team when I played through Sapphire last week: Sceptile, Aggron, Magneton
Salamence, Camerupt, Kyogre

My method.

Hmm... How do I play pokemon? That's a very good question. In the earlier generations (RBY), I was obsessed with getting perfectly EVed pokemon (back then it was stat experience). Obviously, during my first play through of Red version, though, I just used pokemon that I thought looked cool and had decent stats to boot.

My team back then (after first E4 play through):
I don't remember the move sets, but here we go...
Electabuzz, Charizard, Beedrill, Gyarados, Kangaskhan, Golem

After my first play through was when I started getting waaaay too thorough. I sent over 400 hours remaking my team and raising new, perfectly trained pokemon. This overarching play style is how I've done it ever since.

Basically, a play through using pokemon I like, then moving onto all the details.

And yes, Tangrowth is a favorite in my team. I also like Drifblim, Snorlax, Tentacruel, and Ninetales.

I get 6 different type pokemon (usually a flying, almost always a grass, beedrill if he's available, and an abra or ralts if I can) and run through the game with those six beating the elite four. Then I grab the legendaries and work on competitive team building.

Which by the way the worst thing ever was making you catch Ho-oh in HG, I really like saving the legendaries and trying to catch the best ones I can.

normally i do as the following:
my starter,
two early poke(like the eraly bird or whatever)
two hm slaves
random flavor poke here

i also try to raise the level almost equally (except the hm slaves) always letting the starter with 1 level above the others two, so i always end up with starter at level 50 and the early and flavor poke at level 49 for example, pretty wierd but i like doing that :p

I trade my starter into one of my other games and power level it with experience share on it and a lucky egg on a lv100 poke that just runs through the e4 like twice. then I trade it back and since it's OT is me, it will behave, so I easily rape the story mode.

I tend to take my time and get the most out of the games, explore all the areas, meet most of the characters, and catch as many different kinds of pokemon possible. I usally handle my team-building process in two different ways, either I see if any of my favorite pokemon can be caught before the final boss/champion, use them and plan a team like that, or just catch what ever i find and build the team as I go. I will try to avoid defeating wild pokemon, all that easy exp adds up and makes it too easy for me (gym leaders are much more rewarding to beat when all of their pokemon are ,like 4-6 levels higher than your strongest one IMO). Keeping the levels of my team of pokemon equal, nicknaming all of the pokemon I catch,including the ones I'm not going to uses, and not using the overpowered uber pokemon you run into are other in-game habits of mine.

When I'm playing a new game, I try to use only pokemon from the current gen (or, in the case of a remake, all new pokemon that I've haven't used in adventure mode before). I used to make sure my starter was a higher level, train a lot, and plow through everyone with unbalanced teams. I would also never allow one of my pokes to die.

Since D/P, I've been trying to make the game more interesting by playing (gym leaders mostly, as the normal trainers are never easy) as if it were a real battle: no items, letting my fodder die when I should, remaining approximately the same level. It's quite fun until you run into jerks that break sleep clause or Koga's Crobat that uses Double Team hax. This ends up taking a really long time (maybe 2-3 times longer than using a starter and a legendary), but, for me at least, it makes the important battles feel really epic: instead of slaughtering each gym in my path with a 6-0 sweep, I usually win by a thread (and sometimes I even lose).

After completing everything, I usually try to complete the new dex by catching and evolving all the pokemon. Only then do I bother starting to breed and EV train.

on a first run through a game I always get the Bird of that generation and whatever pokemon i feel like catching. With Types i try to have a variety but i base it mostly on Grass/fire/water/Flying, any secondary types are a bonus. since Gen 3 after seeing the pre release pokemon and the regional pokedex i choose what i want and base my version on that as well. With Gen 5 im thinking of Tsutaja, Rankurusu (getting white), Meguroko, Wooguru at this precise moment but thatll probably change.

With My youtube playthroughs im trying to use pokemon that i havent used when playing through the game (Rotom and a pokemon i will not disclose as ive not uploaded it)in my current Platinum playthrough and (Hypno, Parasect) in my Red Playthrough (which is having a break)

On My real Platinum as in Game Card one Ive got 700 Hour playing time mainly because all the training for in game purposes and EV Training

For Pokedex Completion Ive only completed Hoenn and The DP Sinnoh Dex, Ceebs with Plats

I don't usually have set plans.. but annoyingly enough.. I can't help myself but plan Pokemon I want to catch at certain parts of the game.. but I fight it to the best of my ability haha.

I have an Action Replay.. but when I used/abused it in the past.. it completely ruined the game for me.. it wasn't fun, being able to cheat a lot of things, and make the game basically a joke.

So now I respect the game more, and I mainly just use codes like x90 Pokeballs so I can catch certain Pokemon in a color matching ball, and x10 of all items and medicine, so i dont have to be hindered by default crap.

But other than that.. I just play straight up.. and catch and train as I please. Breeding is probably my favorite part of the game.. different combos, IVs, moves.. just exciting.

Definitely try to get my favorites along with good chemistry. And I actually think I have it this time around, in my HeartGold game.. walls+solo stat-uppers.

And yes.. I still SR for shiny stationary Pokemon. It's just fun as well.

When I get HG/SS (probably will play through SS first) I think I will use a team of 4-6 (+ HM slave), and catch as many different Pokemon as I can. It's a different approach that I don't usually take but I loved 2nd gen and I want to enjoy the game as much as possible.

I probably will get "junk" versions of the legendaries as I'll be able to use HG after that to get decent ones if I see fit.

My first runthrough I usually catch "cool" pokes and don't make dedicated HM slaves... On subsequent runs though I always try to pack one HM slave, then raise 5 pokes which include my starter. Just before the E4 I nab my sixth, which is always the games "main" legendary.

I usually raise 6 pokemon, all at equal levels, and try to get the most type coverage I can with my team's STABs. I have dedicated HM slaves that I only take out when I need, and I also usually have someone I use as a "rival sweeper" that can help me out a lot in rival battles. I try to be at about lv. 55 with everyone berfore I fight the E4. The only exception to this playstyle was in Emerald, when I just used the lv. 70 Rayquaza they give you to 6-0 the E4 and Champion with Outrage, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Flamethrower.

I generally take my time, grinding up a bit to level a team of usually 4. I often carry a Surf/Cutter or another HM mule with me and swap them out for locations. I generally also try to target specific Pokemon for my run, and make use of them.

For example, often an earlier poke to level with the starter, and some mindless walking in caves or grass for key Poke like Abras or Makuhita or Shroomish. (My Emerald run is starting to show.). I try to have two physical and two special as my team with good coverage synergy at most times as well.

I seem to be having a slight favor for Poison and Fighting along my runs though. I remember Muk/Blastoise/Hitmonlee/Kadabra being my main FireRed team at the very least.

I usually raise 6 pokemon, all at equal levels, and try to get the most type coverage I can with my team's STABs. I have dedicated HM slaves that I only take out when I need, and I also usually have someone I use as a "rival sweeper" that can help me out a lot in rival battles. I try to be at about lv. 55 with everyone berfore I fight the E4. The only exception to this playstyle was in Emerald, when I just used the lv. 70 Rayquaza they give you to 6-0 the E4 and Champion with Outrage, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Flamethrower.
I did the same so I could do the Battle Frontier.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I probably will get "junk" versions of the legendaries as I'll be able to use HG after that to get decent ones if I see fit.
Fortunately in HG/SS you can kill off any legendaries you aren't ready to capture. They will respawn once you beat the Elite Four. Which is good, because you're required to fight your version mascot to advance the story.

Wow, I never really thought of how I played through the games. Usually I play the first game of a new Gen/Series slowly. Cathcing pokemon, exploring, talking to people, wandering around levelling up and making a new team out of the new Pokemon.

When I replay, I do breed for IVs and try to EV Train them as much as possible after I trade them over as eggs. (I'm currently Replaying Pearl like this) I never speed run nor have I tried a mono-type challenge. I may have to try the latter.

The last time I played through Leaf Green was when I got my girlfriend interested in the games. We kept an adventure journal and made a story out of the two of us playing through as if they were entries in our diaries. It was an interesting idea that lasted for a few months. Some of the entries were actually quite funny.

I plan on playing through Pearl and revisiting Heart Gold to finish up the Battle Frontier (Darn Battle Factory!) After that, it'll be a long wait until Black and White.

Actually, I've played the game in almost every way. Until DPP, I would always play through straight, and be done in about 20 hours. Then, I decided to start trading over a team for Platinum, hatched before hand with my moves already figured out. For my second playthrough, I traded over random eggs. It was actually fun to see what I got. When Black and White comes out, I'm gonna try for the Nuzlocke challenge, to see how it works out. I can't wait!

Usually, the first run involves me attempting to get every Pokemon and item I can get my grubby little hands on lol.

After amassing enough money, BP, whatever to get the items I need, I proceed to raise my favorite Pokemon competitively. Although, only my Weavile, Metagross, Dusknoir, Swampert, Roselia and Electivire have received this treatment thus far.

I get a water type, a fire type, a grass type, an electric type, a flying type, and an hm slave, and beat the game. If I get a pokemon with two of those types listed above I grab an Alakazam or something.

I never trade pokemon over from another game, I only play with pokemon i catch in that game. I don't care about nature when I'm doing solely storyline play. My team typically doesn't have more than one pokemon of a certain type, and I always have 6 different pokemon. Sometimes i'll catch every single pokemon I come across, and other times I really don't care. I didn't actually start breeding for natures and EV training until HG/SS, and I have yet to start breeding for IV's. (mainly because I find RNG confusing and nearly all guides are for DPPt >_>)

I tend to catch my team and then trade them over to my flash card and Pokesav the crap out of them until they're all properly EV'd, then I trade them back. I find this the simplest method, considering it's less of a hassle EVing them all at once when I get them ready for competitive shit. I

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)