2010 music

Arguably. Funeral is better than OK Computer tbh. I'm still torn between Funeral and The Suburbs though.

The Suburbs, Neon Bible and Funeral are completely different and each of them is a masterpiece. I love mah Arcade Firez.

Other greatness:
Joanna Newsome - Have One On Me
MGMT - Congratulations

and maybeeeee the upcoming (hopefully) No Doubt album.

I've been listening to the album more, and fuck is Half Light I good. Favorite songs with The Suburbs and Half Light I at the top are : The Suburbs, Half Light I, Ready To Start, Deep Blue, Sprawl I

The songs led by Regine are really good, not so sure about the rest of the album though. I'll probably have to listen to it a few more times and really try to take it in.

so what did you think?
It's quite enjoyable, still need to give it a couple listens. "Hang With Me (Acoustic)" [Glad the real mix will be on part 2], "None of Dem", and "Dancehall Queen" are the standouts, imo. I couldn't really care for the final track that's in Swedish though lol.

Update on mah music:

Currently listening to:
Body Talk, Pt. 1 - Robyn
The Family Jewels - Marina & the Diamonds
Sir Lucious Left Foot - Big Boi

2010 Diamond:
Crystal Castles (II) - Crystal Castles
Treats - Sleigh Bells
/\/\ /\ Y /\ - M.I.A.

2010 Gold:
UNIVERSE - Koda Kumi
Omni - Minus the Bear
Contra - Vampire Weekend

2010 Silver:
Rock 'n' Roll Circus - Ayumi Hamasaki
The ArchAndroid - Janelle Monae

2010 Bronze:
Causers of This - Toro y Moi

2010 Crap:
Congratulations - MGMT
Forgiveness Rock Record - Broken Social Scene

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Are you guys listening to the same Arcade Fire record I am?

Someone get these guys off the Prozac and back to making good music.

Wasted Hours? Deep Blue? The Suburbs? Sprawl II? The Half Light Songs? Modern Man? Basically the whole album? That wasn't good? D: This album is pretty hit or miss with people. e_e

I'm just going to throw out that I'm absolutely loving The Suburbs. I wouldn't go so far as to say its better than Funeral, but its definitely my favourite album this year (so far).

New Foxy Shazam sounds so different than their old stuff. =/ Its still really good, but for completely different reasons.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
am i the only one who actually likes mgmt's congratulations and thinks it's better than oracular spectacular??

the shitty leak of the new interpol album has me really excited for the real thing, but the quality was just bad enough for me to not want to listen to the whole leak and spoil it. if anyones going to go download it, just a heads up - the whole things pretty bad quality and track 3 is the same as track 1. still, some promising shit.

also i happened to check the los campesinos! site since i havent in a while, and even though ive long grown out of my phase of listening to nothing but them, i got pretty excited to see theyre putting out a new ep of acoustic reworking of tracks from romance is boring. and they also fired their old drummer and hired two new band members, apparently.

the ep itself is pretty good. its only four tracks but they all rework the tracks in interesting ways (with maybe an exception of the romance is boring reworking), with a whole load of strings and piano. it also features the new lineup, and highlights a few things:

a.) the new female vocalist is actually pretty terrible and aleks leaving is going to hurt in the long run ;(
b.) gareth is a really fucking good lyricist, and in slow acoustic reworkings the lyrics are both more meaningful and a whole lot more understandable, but...
c.) gareth cant sing, lol

anyway i dont know if anyone cares about lc! as much as i do (or did) but there you go.

highlights of new stuff i've listened to: tallest man on earth, cosmogramma, baths' cerulean, new gaslight anthem, the new deerhunter and panda bear singles, and the emeralds' does it look like im here?

Yeah I can't wait for the high quality version of Interpol to come out. I don't normally listen to leaks but I just saw Interpol live last night (they were amazing). So I got the leak and it sounds very promising to me.

evan

good suburbs songs:

Ready to Start
empty room
half light i
half light ii
the sprawl i (flatlands)
the sprawl ii (mountains beyond mountains)

bad suburbs songs:

the suburbs
modern man
rococo
wasted hours
the suburbs (cont)

okay suburbs songs:

suburban war
deep blue
we used to wait

worst piece of shit song ever:

month of may

rofl 32->320

Anyway, recently I threw up a list of the twenty five best albums so far of the year. The Suburbs, Stuck On Nothing, and Before Today should all be on it, but uh. Uh.

25. I Was Trying To Describe You To Someone – Crime In Stereo

24. The Wild Hunt – The Tallest Man On Earth

23. American Slang – The Gaslight Anthem

22. The Big To-Do – Drive-By Truckers

21. Trans-Continental Hustle – Gogol Bordello

20. Teen Dream – Beach House

19. Crazy For You – Best Coast

18. Twistable Turnable Man: A Musical Tribute To Shel Silverstein – Various Artists

17. Romance Is Boring – Los Campesinos!

16. The Brutalist Bricks – Ted Leo And The Pharmacists

15. There Is Love In You – Four Tet

14. Blue Sky Noise – Circa Survive

13. Plastic Beach – Gorillaz

12. Transference – Spoon

11. Odd Blood – Yeasayer

10. Light Chasers - Cloud Cult

9. Foxy Shazam – Foxy Shazam

8. Forgiveness Rock Record – Broken Social Scene

7. How I Got Over – The Roots

6. This Is Happening – LCD Soundsystem

5. Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son Of Chico Dusty – Big Boi

4. The ArchAndroid (Suites II And III) – Janelle Monáe

3. A Badly Broken Code – Dessa

2. The Monitor – Titus Andronicus

1. High Violet – The National

Yeah. For the most part I'm very proud of this list.

The new album by Arcade Fire...

I wrote this earlier on what.

"I'll say it: I don't think this is as good as Neon Bible. I DEFINITELY don't think this is as good as Funeral, but Neon Bible doesn't get enough love. The melodies on Neon Bible are ever more robust than the ones on Funeral, but The Suburbs, while sprawling and rocking, doesn't quite maintain the intensity that, for every song on the previous two albums, Arcade Fire has always had.

"The Suburbs" is a pretty good example. It doesn't have that same passion as the previous two albums did. It's more gentle and carefree. At the same time, the sound on "The Suburbs" is constant as opposed to dynamic, which is a way that you could classify every song on Funeral. Lyrically "The Suburbs" is a wonder, of course. In fact, the entire album is pretty great in that respect. It just sounds like they don't know exactly where to go musically."

It's still very good, don't get me wrong!

Oh, and "Month Of May" is one of the better songs. I'm just putting that out there! The best song is "We Used To Wait." I also just got the vinyl rip, and I have to say that "Suburban War" makes a hell of a lot more sense as the penultimate track than as a centerpiece. Sheesh.

am i the only one who actually likes mgmt's congratulations and thinks it's better than oracular spectacular??
No, well. I don't know about better than Oracular Spectacular, but definitely on a par. There are more songs on Congratulations that I would actively choose to listen to. But Congratulations feels a little bit tainted by Inbetween The Liners, I mean what? But yeah, there are 3 or 4 classics on OS, but a potential 6 or 7 on Congratulations.

Robert Christgau sums up my feelings on Congratulations exceptionally well.

"Old enough to know that irony stales on the tongue and dogged enough to notice when the songs peter out before the album is over, I'm less disappointed than the post-graduate pre-adults who were so tickled by the meta-faux hedonism of the Wesleyan duo's debut. After all, this airy prog-psych self-indulgence is merely an elaboration of the back half of that debut -- the half I tuned out then but appreciate some now, because, even as self-indulgent elaborations go, the follow-up's a doozy. Last time they pretended they wanted to be frothy, decadent pop-rock stars. This time, with their best new one by far a praisesong for Brian Eno, they reveal that in real life they're wiggy, woolgathering dilettantes. Once they test the depth of the woolgathering market we'll find out whether they wanted to be pop-rock stars more than they knew. Given the tendency of unrecouped production budgets to cut into the royalties generated by one's hedonism, it's probably a good thing Ben Goldwasser's girlfriend is studying dentistry. A more reliable income stream than modeling, you bet. "

whoa, the low-quality leak of Interpol is horrible (quality-wise); the songs sound pretty promising so far and even though the quality sucks so much, I think its better than their last album... I need to get used to Paul's voice now though.. I'll have to listen to it later on (when a high-quality version leaks)

I'm really liking Karma to Burn's new release atm

No, well. I don't know about better than Oracular Spectacular, but definitely on a par. There are more songs on Congratulations that I would actively choose to listen to. But Congratulations feels a little bit tainted by Inbetween The Liners, I mean what? But yeah, there are 3 or 4 classics on OS, but a potential 6 or 7 on Congratulations.
I feel that as an album, Congratulations flows better than Oracular Spectacular, which looks to me like an album of singles. Both albums are great, and totally different.

---
Omni by MTB was quite disappointing for me. It really falls behind their other albums.

The Suburbs is great but come on, Funeral is extremely hard to top.

As far as Congratulations versus Oracular Spectacular goes, In my opinion OS comes out on top, but Congratulations is still one hell of a solid album and I listen to it just as much as OS. I'll post a list of my favorite MGMT songs so you get where I stand.

My Top 10 MGMT songs:

1. Weekend Wars
2. Metanoia
3. Flash Delirium
4. The Handshake
5. Songs For Dan Treacy
6. The Youth
7. Brian Eno
8. Destrokk
9. Future Reflections
10. Siberian Breaks

i think i'm going to have to do a blitz on 2010 music here pretty soon.

the year is more than half over, and i still have probably 300 things to listen to and then digest, and that number is growing each day.

i'll never get through it all. ='[

evan

hey guys stop listening to the suburbs and listen to an awesome 2010 leak instead.

The Walkmen's Lisbon is gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

I recently listened to Enforcer's Diamonds album, and I must say I was pretty impressed. It sounded really great hearing traditional heavy metal in today. Iron Maiden's new album The Final Frontier is set for release in a few days. With their recent singles from that album, I can't say my expectations for that album are really good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)