CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 9 - Art Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zantimonius
DougJustDoug

Since this is my first post here, I thought I'd give it a bit more substance than just a vote. If I had to rank, Zantimonius would be my first pick because his design successfully does what most official Pokemon designs do not: combines an element of whimsy (it's unusual, imaginative and a bit cute) and "catchiness" (it sticks in your head; it grabs attention) with a monster that actually appears convincingly capable of battling. That's an insanely difficult graphic design challenge! The upside-down pose does an OK job of depicting the "grounding" effect of Volt Absorb, which couldn't have been easy either. Plus, this Pokemon actually looks like a partner to Togekiss: it kind of gives the mental image of pulling that grumpy face while holding something fluttery and annoying up with its feet.

DougJustDoug's design, on the other hand, seems somewhat more successful than the rest at incorporating the Volt Absorb ability. The art is obviously awesome, and I can imagine both front and back sprites of this CAP11 holding interest. The kind of amorphous left hand loses me a little, but the strong original concept more than makes up for it.

Both of these, in my opinion, do equally well at expressing type and stats. I wish I'd found this project earlier so I could've gotten an entry in, but all things considered I'm probably better off (mostly) lurking a while and seeing what's up before trying to really have a hand in CAP. So, uh, before I re-lurk, congrats and good luck to everyone!

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wyverii
Kukem
Tortferngatr
Caladbolg~
MrSuitMan
DougJustDoug
OldManDugan
chomzloh
aragornbird

OldManDugan
SEO
Buffalo_Wings

These three designs are all very good, but for others, well, some are not dark/cool enough for me while others just don't look suitable for pokemons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)