Ubuntu help - Shoddy location?

Well I've had Ubuntu on my laptop for ages now but I am still a very inexperienced Linux user so this may well be a noobish mistake on my part but I cannot seem to find shoddy battle even though I know I have it as it opened automatically when I first installed it.

Now that I have closed it I can't find out where it is, I have tried searching the system but I can't see it.

I installed it via terminal command - perhaps there is a certain command to open it? though I would like to be able to put a shortcut on the task panel.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks for your time and help.

@Hawkeye - I am too a very experienced linux user (using linux now). Installing it from terminal (or Konsole) isn't exactly "installing it", rather just building it. You never installed it. Download the JNLP file from shoddybattle.com, and just use that. You can also make a launcher file, to launch it using this command
Code:
javaws http://www.shoddybattle.com/client/shoddybattle.php
Once you launch it, your going to need to keep terminal open unless you download the jnlp file.

Thanks.

I have the jnlp in my download file but is that the the Game? I know the game pops up after clicking on it but it seems like it is re-downloading each time? or is that just how it opens on Ubuntu.

On windows I got the little pikachu icon* I had hoped shoddy battle would likewise just appear in my games or on my desktop.

I feel sure I have missed something out.

*I sound like someone's Dad...

@Hawkeye - It does that for me too. If you want, you can download those 4 jarfiles locally, then modify the JNLP file to get the locally (much faster), but your going to miss updates to the client. Shoddy 1 isn't "under construction" anymore, so I say try local refrencing them.

rory

T^T
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What I've always done is create a launcher with the javaws link. It only downloads updates, not every time so I don't see any reason to download anything else. Also if you don't want to have to keep your terminal open you can just append a & to the command to run it in the background.. Also I don't know about ubuntu, but when I run javaws it adds a desktop icon for me.

Thanks for all your help Duck and Rory, far and away my favourite thing about using linux is how friendly and helpful other users are.

See you round.

~Hawkeye

Hi,

It only downloads updates, not every time so I don't see any reason to download anything else. Also if you don't want to have to keep your terminal open you can just append a & to the command to run it in the background.. Also I don't know about ubuntu, but when I run javaws it adds a desktop icon for me.

Company Name Ideas

@thompson65 - There was no need to post in this thread. I know about &, and I said he could just run the JNLP, and it runs it hidden.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)