CAP 11 CAP 11 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are my all the psirtes with the normal colors.
I'm going to finish the details of sprites and then make the shiny ones..​

Last time I also forgot to mention that the heart was at the wrong place because of the gender diffrence. The male has his heart at the wrong place (literally and figuratively :p)
The male also has a black heart, to make it stick out a little bit more, and since black is a appropriat color for a dark-pokemon :p
The male also his bigger pins then the female

-pics-

and I have a question: how many xolors can you actually use?​
I like how your front sprite's pose is different. They, however, are facing the wrong way o.o. Should probably fix that.

Constrictive criticism would be greatly appreciated
i also decided to make sprites for voodoll just to add to the feel of my sprites and to practice spriting since im not very good yet

edit: @smallviser thanks for the advice, ill redo the backsprite like i was planning to a while ago anyway, and shuffle the pins around on the male version again to try and get them right
You kept the original pose of the art concept. That is nice. However, the pins on the one with the pink heart [female, probably] are cluttered and are not visible on the back sprites. Maybe remove the extra pin on the female's head? The heart already gives them [the genders] distinction.

____M______M Shiny____M Back___M Shiny Back

-pics-

____F______F Shiny____F Back___F Shiny Back

I don't get it. I don't get why my backsprite looks so wrong. I just don't get it. HELP ME OUT PLEASE. As it's my first CAP entry, I think I just want to get a final submission out of this, but it'd be nice to be happy with it, wouldn't it?

Also, I'm not sure if I should ask here, but I'm going to anyway >_>. How should the final submission be layed out? All 8 sprites on 1 sheet? 320x160 or 325x163 (1 pixel seperating the 80x80 boxes, and if this, should that box be invisible?)? What about the order of sprites?
I like this design but have you tried putting the pin back through its heart? It has been said in this thread that the pin through the heart gives the pokemon its.. you know.. characteristic? I like your pose though.

Shiny time

-pics-

I picked each color for a reason. Black is a constant, nothing says dark better. Red gives the illusion of blood, orange and black is reminiscent of Halloween, and Green for a Frankenstein effect. Which do you like best? Are the Green and Orange too bright?
Your sprites are easily my favorite. I'd go with red because you can make a pokedex story for it. Something like:

Voodoom become red and black when they become too evil. Red signifies the blood of the pokemon that they have killed and their brown "skin" become black as a result of being too evil.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Right, went with the red shiny since it got the most support. Also made back sprites for the male as well as a female version.

i love Sleets' front sprites but there r two problems with the masterpiece. first off the backsprite needs to be shown from the back not from the side nd of course the head is too square like. also which i personally dislike is that ur version of Voodoom is holding the needle. in Doug's backstory he mentions how the needle through the heart is a very important part of Voodoom. so maybe u can put it back in his heart or not. ur choice but good luck with the back sprite

Right, thanks for your help about my backsprite everyone. I've tried to completely redo my backsprite and have got this so far:
Progress in the tags:
->
->

Is it on the right track? I think I'll go along with this one for the time being (unless it's not right) adding shades and details in. I'll continually update this post with progress, I think.

EDIT: Following Noobiess' constant advice (THANKS A LOT BY THE WAY), I've made his head smaller! However, I want the back to somewhat match the front (if I go with a needle out pose, his backsprite will have a needle out pose, just for consistancy).

It looks like this is the prefered sprite order, right?
___M_______M Shiny______F______F Shiny___

___M_______M Shiny______F______F Shiny___

And ... I see a lot of people saying that the needle inside is better. I think in the end, I'll do both a male front + male back needle out and a male front + male back needle in and then see which one you all prefer. I'm just going to try and perfect the needle out position before I do this though, simply because I have it, and don't know when the submission deadline is.

I'm still unsure how to make a final submission, regarding sizes, order, all on 1 sheet, etc, so can anyone inform me by PM or in the thread or something? ._. Thanks

is this too big for the pallette, because i think there might be a size limit on it that i dont understand yet

Right, went with the red shiny since it got the most support. Also made back sprites for the male as well as a female version.

-pics-
Don't you think you have the colors wrong on the shiny back sprite? I think the black arm is the one that should be raised.

I like how your front sprite's pose is different. They, however, are facing the wrong way o.o. Should probably fix that.
How do you mean,In the wrong way? Because I don't really get that.

Sleeth, I like really like the way your back sprite turned out. It's really much better now. The head seem a little bit too big though.
I also would put the needle in the heart, the front and back sprite don't really have to match and it looks way better with the needle in the body.

I'm pretty sure front sprites have to be facing towards the left (our left, their right).
I was actually going for this kind of pose:

The body is turned to the other side, but the pokemon is still looking towards the opponent.
But I tohught it would look more 'evil' if it the head wasn't completely turned towards the oppoentn but only the eyes. But that's very hard it the eyes are buttons :p
Maybe I could try to make it more clear and try to make it more looking at the entry.
I'll also try to make it work in the other way.

-Lapras, Articuno-

The body is turned to the other side, but the pokemon is still looking towards the opponent.
But I tohught it would look more 'evil' if it the head wasn't completely turned towards the oppoentn but only the eyes. But that's very hard it the eyes are buttons :p
Maybe I could try to make it more clear and try to make it more looking at the entry.
I'll also try to make it work in the other way.
Don't you think that's a little bit too complicated of a pose for a doll? But whatever, you're the artist here, not me. xD Love the black heart by the way :O

Gun6: I love your sprite. I just think you need to fix the dent in the front and back sprites's head a little and it'll be perfect.

Ah ok. I'd just make the head turn more pronounced so that it's more obvious which way it's looking. I do like this sprite so it would be a shame if it got disqualified on a technicality.

What a difference colors can make (to me, anyways, heh). I may or may not slim down the backsprite needle because personally, I like it the way it is. A new shiny option because the one Wizwum submitted was too similar. Next update should be the gender difference if a can think of something creative...

Gun6: I love your sprite. I just think you need to fix the dent in the front and back sprites's head a little and it'll be perfect.
But... that's where the two pieces of fabric are stitched together. It's even somewhat like that in the front sprite and in the original art. It adds to the level of detail. However, if more people do not like how it looks, then I'll happily alter the sprite. :)

here is an update of the front sprite,

I might try to make the eyes just a little bit more looking to the other side,
but hopefully it wouldn't look too unatural then.​

also updated the female back sprite a little bit:

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

To be fair with noobiess, there are quite a few Pokemon sprites that do not face the opposing Pokemon directly. However, most of them seem to be still looking at the opposing sprite. So maybe that would be my suggestion, noobiess: make your sprite's eyes look in the direction where the opponent would be. Kinda like the sprites I've shown here are doing.

I'm no artist, so if the Pokemon would look weird with the change, do not mind me.

He puts his needle in, he puts his needle out,
In, out, in out, shake it all about.

Sorry it's pretty big though.

I keep reading that the needle in is preferred, so I've tried to do a needle in position too. What do you guys prefer? I think I'm reaching my final submission now, so it's all down to this, I think. Any massive issues within either design too?

EDIT: Haha, oh well. I guess I'll just have Needle Out Front and Needle In Back if I can't get this right. I know I wanted consistancy, but if I have a better alternative, why not go for it. Would this inconsistancy bother anyone though? If not, mix and match for me please ._.

He puts his needle in, he puts his needle out,
In, out, in out, shake it all about.

*pic*

Sorry it's pretty big though.

I keep reading that the needle in is preferred, so I've tried to do a needle in position too. What do you guys prefer? I think I'm reaching my final submission now, so it's all down to this, I think. Any massive issues within either design too?
Well, the truth is like this:
The backsprite with the needle in looks better, because the grip doesn't look too good with the needle.
However, the frontsprite with the needle out looks better than the one with the needle in. That is because the needle sticking out in such a weird fashion is simply odd.

But... that's where the two pieces of fabric are stitched together. It's even somewhat like that in the front sprite and in the original art. It adds to the level of detail. However, if more people do not like how it looks, then I'll happily alter the sprite. :)
The dent isn't bad, but you should make it a little less prominent. Btw, your sprite is by far my favorite. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)