CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 15 - Dex Poll

What does Dexter say?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
End of the line. Everybody off!

As a note I'm only polling the sentences people have used for their entries, not the species. Good sentences shouldn't be hampered because you decided it was the Pincushion Pokemon or whatever.

Our CAP so far:

DougJustDoug said:
DougJustDoug said:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.

The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate

• Typing: Fighting / Dark
    Stat Spread: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 105 SpA / 80 SpD / 110 Spe
    Abilities: Volt Absorb / Lightningrod
    Name: Voodoom
    Movepool:
    Code:
    [B]Total Moves:[/B] 74
    [B]Total VGM:[/B] 35

[B]Level Up[/B]
    H Wrap
    H Revenge
    H Night Slash*
    --- Astonish
    --- Copycat
    --- Pain Split*
    --- Spite
    7 Pain Split* (repeat)
    11 Spite (repeat)
    15 Grudge
    19 Charge
    20 Follow Me
    25 Pin Missile
    30 Faint Attack
    35 Close Combat*
    40 Acupressure
    45 Aura Sphere*
    50 Substitute*
    55 Beat Up

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
    (Egg Groups: Humanshape / Ground)
    Perish Song*
    Smellingsalt
    Screech 
    Pursuit* 
    Memento* 
    Imprison 
    Mach Punch* 
    Baton Pass* 

[B]TMs/HMs[/B]
    TM 01 – Focus Punch*
    TM 06 – Toxic*
    TM 08 – Bulk Up*
    TM 10 – Hidden Power*
    TM 11 – Sunny Day
    TM 12 – Taunt*
    TM 15 – Hyper Beam* (ugh)
    TM 17 – Protect*
    TM 21 – Frustration* 
    TM 27 – Return* (repeat)
    TM 26 - Earthquake
    TM 29 – Psychic*
    TM 31 – Brick Break*
    TM 34 – Shock Wave
    TM 41 - Torment
    TM 42 – Façade*
    TM 43 – Secret Power
    TM 44 – Rest*
    TM 45 – Attract 
    TM 46 – Thief
    TM 49 – Snatch
    TM 52 – Focus Blast*
    TM 56 – Fling
    TM 58 – Endure
    TM 60 – Drain Punch
    TM 66 – Payback*
    TM 68 – Giga Impact
    TM 73 – Thunder Wave*
    TM 75 - Stone Edge*
    TM 78 – Captivate
    TM 79 – Dark Pulse*
    TM 80 – Rock Slide*
    TM 82 – Sleep Talk*
    TM 83 – Natural Gift
    TM 85 – Dream Eater
    TM 87 – Swagger
    TM 90 – Substitute* (repeat)
    HM 04 – Strength
    HM 06 – Rock Smash

[B]Move Tutor:[/B]
    Ice Punch*
    Counter*
    Metronome
    Mud Slap
    Mimic
    Uproar
    Snore
    Vacuum Wave*
    Pain Split* 
    Spite
    Nightmare
    Magic Coat*
    Low Kick*
    Knock Off*
    Submissions:

SgtWoodsy said:
    "Its large needle tends to attract stray lightning bolts. It seems to derive pleasure from being electrocuted."
    Upduck said:
    "A stitchwork doll was struck by lightning, giving birth to VOODOOM. Seeking purpose, it is often found defending groups of TOGEKISS. "
    doominic77 said:
    "The large needle in it's chest can be used as a wand or a sword. It can also use this needle to attract lightning bolts coming from the sky or other POKEMON to increase it's own power."
    Jebus McAzn said:
    "Groups of VOODOOM are known to torment lone CACNEA, in order to harvest the needles on their arms."
    capefeather said:
    "It is imbued with both a pure blessing and an evil curse. It taps into each by sticking a pin into an appropriate location on its body. It feeds off of thunderstorms using the needle piercing its heart."
    FlareBlitz said:
    "VOODOOM has stuck a pin in its heart to make sure it never feels anything but pain again. It is said that its true potential is only unlocked when it feels loved enough to take the pin out."
    Wichu said:
    "Its body is rumored to have been stitched together from lost dolls, and brought to life with lightning."
    ShravanP said:
    "VOODOOM are lasting symbols of deceased Pokemon. Each VOODOLL's existence is bound to that of another Pokemon. When it is time for the other Pokemon to die, VOODOLL sticks a pin through its heart and evolves into VOODOOM."
    EdgeHead said:
    "Years of misunderstanding have given it a reclusive nature. The rods and pins throughout it's body attract lightning, so it is most commonly seen during thunderstorms."
    Rules:

This will be a single click poll. Simply click on the option you support. Entries with enough support will advance.

This poll will end in approx. 24 hours.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why did you take all the ones that mentioned Togekiss out? Imho, they were some of the better written ones.
Upduck said:
"A stitchwork doll was struck by lightning, giving birth to VOODOOM. Seeking purpose, it is often found defending groups of TOGEKISS. "
Though in general a lot of them either a) had grammar inconsistent with Dex entries b) were not given final submission status by the poster or c) were otherwise generally unsuitable to in-game Dex flavor format, which usually does not employ words like "ironically."

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Voted for FlareBlitz, his seems like exactly the kind of thing you see in-game all the time. Most of the others were too dark to see in-game, and a few others just didn't feel as passionate as FlareBlitz' did.

I really like Jebus McAzn's dex entry. He was different then the others while bringing some more flavour that otherwise would have not been there.

Voting FlareBlitz.

Togekiss is the Jubilee Pokemon, and who better to unlock Voodoom's true potential as a duo with love? The whole paragraph is meaningful as well, it really fits it as an abused doll.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I voted Jeebus McAzn or however you spell it. I feel like Voodoom wouldn't love at all, ever, after going through the torment it did. It would just project its torment onto other, weaker Pokemon. On another note where's all the Delibird hate that's generally standard?

I think that all the Delibird-bashers left <.<

I guess I should have known my entry wouldn't be very popular as it was. Too bad no one suggested an improvement <.< Translating my writings from my movepool description to a dex entry was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I was just trying to encourage people to redefine Voodoom and take it in a direction different from the artist's original while still holding true to it. Alas, it looks like an emo++ version of the same concept is going to take it... I don't mind it but it seems rather nonsensical now that I read it more closely.

I voted for SgtWoodsy. His submission explains Volt Absorb and Lightningrod while also having a creepy feel to it.

@reachzero: It FlareBlitz's entry refers to physical pain.

Was stuck between capefeather and FlareBlitz; they both do a good job of either explaining or personifying (pokemonifying?) Voodoom. Ended up voting for FlareBlitz because....actually because I thought more people would vote for capefeather's, so I figure I'd help FB's get through to the next round, too. Oops.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Simple logic states that FlareBlitz's entry is inherently a contradiction:

1. Voodoom's needle makes it so that it feels nothing but pain.
2. When the needle is in place, Voodoom cannot feel anything other than pain.
3. Feeling loved is a feeling other than pain.
THEREFORE Voodoom cannot feel loved.

Deck Knight

Simple logic states that FlareBlits's entry is inherently a contradiction:

Technically speaking, Voodoom's desire to never feel anything but pain as the purpose for putting a pin through it's heart does not preclude it from having any other feelings in actuality (it would for example exclude anger and hunger). Though I suppose in retrospect that's a little bit more narrative than most Dex entries. In any case it's a look into Voodoom's emotional state, and the pin can't actually make it feel *only* pain.

Well said reachzero. I voted for doominic77 because his entry includes a special/physical mention and a mention of volt absorb.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Voted for myself, of course :)

Simple logic states that FlareBlitz's entry is inherently a contradiction:

To address this real quick, the idea is that Voodoom has suffered so much pain as a doll that it sticks the pin in its heart to constantly remind itself that pain is all there is in life (this is also how it evolves, in my flavor). However, if it comes to realization that there are alternatives to being abused (i.e. if it "feels like it is loved"), it will remove the pin in anticipation of experiencing those other emotions, which also gives it access to its hidden potential.

Unfortunately I only had a sentence or two to work with, so I couldn't make annotated explanations in the dex entry itself, but this is my thought process for those who were wondering.

The idea is that Voodoom has suffered so much pain as a doll that it sticks the pin in its heart to constantly remind itself that pain is all there is in life (this is also how it evolves, in my flavor). However, if it comes to realization that there are alternatives to being abused (i.e. if it "feels like it is loved"),
Which is why I loved FlareBlitz's so much.

My pokedex submission, which didn't make the cut, said "Only by giving up its own heart can a VOODOLL become the remorseless killing machine known as VOODOOM. This sacrifice is also its weakness, however, since, without a heart, it must charge its chest-needle with electricity every week to remain animated." And while this says things that weren't in FlareBlitz's and FlareBlitz's says things that weren't in mine, the general idea is the same: Voodoom's act of inserting the pin into his heart is a self inflicted wound brought about due to Voodoom sensing that there is nothing to be gained from the concept of "love" and that only the concept of "pain" has meaning.

Voting for CapeFeather. His sex is more appropriate and broad compared to FlareBlitz, which only details the pin in its heart which is a contradiction as stated by reachzero. CapeFeather details not only it's pins but also it's abilities which is important to discuss, otherwise it would look rather ridiculous.

FlareBlitz's dex entry is amazing. i love every aspect of it. plus honestly it matches the kind of dex entries that are in the actual games. sure there r some harsh ones but FlareBlitz's matches right up to the common dexs which for some reason makes me like it a lot.

Deck Knight

is the grammar something we should be concerned about, or can that be corrected? two of them have misused "it's". >_>
Unless someone ninja grammared, all entries have used "its" properly. edit: except doominic in one part.

Should such an entry win the grammar will be corrected, but it's not of much consequence.

Although I'm irritated that mine didn't make it in, I really liked capefeathers. It explains the lightningrod ability quite well

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Voted for Wichu, as it is concise and gives all needed information.

Just out of curiosity, how come my submission didn't make it in?

Voted for mine...yeah, I feel stupid.

Mine adresses both the flavour for Volt Absorb and discusses its relationship with Togekiss, which was the entire point of CaP 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)