What's your favorite programming language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desolate

Banned deucer.
Hi everyone, the purpose of this thread is to share with your fellow community members your favorite programming language. Before you begin posting one-word posts, there's a twist: You must include a bit of relevant, non-arbitrary information, for example, why you chose it, its pros and cons, an example of it, etc. Please feel free to share with others your knowledge on other languages too, not just your favorite.

I'll start things off. My favorite is probably Python, due to its consistency and ease of use. Despite my novice-level towards it, it surpasses mIRC scripting by far, and I regret learning it first, it's too inconsistent. I also know PHP, and a fair bit of Perl, Python, and C.

I'm not really much of a programmer, so honestly, the only thing I use regularly is bash. It's great for automating tasks, there's so much you can do with a bit of bash scripting and the common Unix tools.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Whoa, nerdy thread is nerdy.

I like Lisp a lot, just because of the concept. It's not very functional or versatile but it's still fucking amazing.

http://xkcd.com/297/

(For those of you not in the know-how, Lisp is a language that is based around using lots of parentheses)

For practical/functional languages, I like C# and Visual Basic. C# is just amazing and VB is...so common that I can't not like it...

Bash is great for streamlining your filesystem. Or doing cheap tricks, like deciding what movie to watch (just put all of 'em into one directory):
Code:
# shorf: SH Open Random File
#!/bin/bash
# Creates a temporary logfile of the number of matches
ls $1 > tempmatch
wc tempmatch > tempnum

# Defines the number of matches as a number
awk '{cmd = "jot -r 1 1 " $1; system(cmd);}' tempnum > temprandomnum 
awk -v dir=$1 '{i = 1;
        getline filetoopen < "tempmatch";
        while (i < $1) {
                i = i + 1;
        };
        close ("tempmatch");
        print "Opening file " filetoopen;
        if (length(dir) > 0) then system("open " dir "/" filetoopen)
        else system("open " filetoopen);}' temprandomnum

# removes the temporary files
rm tempmatch temprandomnum tempnum
There are issues with this code, though: no funky symbols or spaces allowed in file names (can't open Bill's Folder because of the space and apostrophe). Anyone know how to fix this?

Recently I've been diving into Objective-C so I can use XCode. I like Python but I've sort of outgrown it.

Desolate

Banned deucer.
Bash is great for streamlining your filesystem. Or doing cheap tricks, like deciding what movie to watch (just put all of 'em into one directory):
Code:
# shorf: SH Open Random File
#!/bin/bash
# Creates a temporary logfile of the number of matches
ls $1 > tempmatch
wc tempmatch > tempnum

# Defines the number of matches as a number
awk '{cmd = "jot -r 1 1 " $1; system(cmd);}' tempnum > temprandomnum 
awk -v dir=$1 '{i = 1;
        while (i < $1) {
                i = i + 1;
        };
        close ("tempmatch");
        print "Opening file " filetoopen;
        if (length(dir) > 0) then system("open " dir "/" filetoopen)
        else system("open " filetoopen);}' temprandomnum

# removes the temporary files
rm tempmatch temprandomnum tempnum
There are issues with this code, though: no funky symbols or spaces allowed in file names (can't open Bill's Folder because of the space and apostrophe). Anyone know how to fix this?

Recently I've been diving into Objective-C so I can use XCode. I like Python but I've sort of outgrown it.
I don't know Bash, but usually weird characters are invalid because they are interpreted incorrectly. For example, when you Google a term with weird characters, such as an ampersand ("&"), it translates to its ASCII-number to avoid errors in parsing, such as it being parsed as a divider in a PHP address. This is likely incorrect, but it's just a thought...

Right now, I barely know QBasic (lol). But I'm going to start learning C++ for Computer Programming II, but I want to learn Java for the AP Computer Science exam, so that doesn't help. @_@ My Comp Prog class is slow, so that shouldn't be trouble, but how do I learn Java for the AP exam?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a C++ man. My ultimate goal in programming has always been to write a chatterbot / game playing AI. For that, you need speed. C++ gives me all the power and speed possible. Unfortunately, it has several annoying things that make me want to some day write my own programming language. Stupid semi-colons...

I'm a C++ man. My ultimate goal in programming has always been to write a chatterbot / game playing AI. For that, you need speed. C++ gives me all the power and speed possible. Unfortunately, it has several annoying things that make me want to some day write my own programming language. Stupid semi-colons...
"In C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you blow off your whole leg." — Bjarne Stroustrup.

Desolate

Banned deucer.
I dislike all the punctuations too, which is I why I prefer Python at times over everything else. I once wrote a semi-AI beta in mIRC script, I know what you're thinking, it was incredibly slow, I had to add a plethora of hacks to it, and mostly unreliable.

I've only done programming in Java and did some assembly programming for a microchip board.

I like Java much much better than assembly.

Ruby. I'm not much of a programmer, I'm afraid, but what little I can do is mostly with Ruby. It's very natural and speech-like, which is great for a beginner like me. I'm starting up trying to learn Python as well now, but I still prefer Ruby.

I have heard a lot of fun stuff about Php. However I have never learned it to the fullest extent. I know a lot of friends who use it though.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have learned the basics of many languages since junior high and my most recent is Objective-C. My latest program is featured here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62357 (Mac OS 10.5 and up only!), with code examples here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2833763&postcount=258

Code:
 // pRNG.h
#import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>
@interface pRNG : NSObject // pRNG inherits from NSObject
{
     unsigned int seed;
}
@property unsigned int seed; //this makes a setter for the variable seed

-(void) advance;
-(void) reverse;
@end
Code:
 //pRNG.m
#import "pRNG.h"

@implementation pRNG 
@synthesize seed;
-(void) advance //from the PID/IV creation guide, thanks to X-Act
{
      seed = ( 0X41C64E6D*seed + 0X6073 ) % 0X100000000;
}
-(void) reverse //from page 2 of this thread, thanks to X-Act
{
      seed = ( 0XEEB9EB65*seed + 0XA3561A1 ) % 0X100000000;
}
@end
explain what it does, folks!

All I know is C++, java, and Basic, and of the three I'd have to go with C++, just feels easier to write.

MATLAB does everything I want it to, and is geared for it much better than most things as far as I'm aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)