Blaziken (OU Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OU
<p>With a great base 110 SpA and base 120 Atk coupled with a usable base 80 Spe Blaziken has the potential to be a great sweeper in OU. Blaziken may seemed out classed by Infernape for OU play but a useful tools known as Agility, allows Blaziken to differ itself from Infernape. Blaziken has the ability to keep Life Orb and still boost it's speed at the same time. While Infernape has to Run a Choice Scarf to out speed threats such as Starmie, Gengar and Scarfed Flygon. Blaziken can utilize Agility as well as higher Attacking stats to pull off a sweep and out speed the aforementioned threats. Blaziken also breaks walls down better than Infernape due to Blaziken's higher offensive stats.</p>

<p>However Blaziken's weakness to the ever so common Earthquake and his mediocre speed (before an Agility) severely hinder Blaziken's ability to play in OU. On top of this Blaziken lacks a powerful and reliable Fighting type attack. Being limited to Super Power, Brick Break, and Sky Uppercut as his main Fighting attack options. Bulky Waters expecially Suicune and Gyarados can switch in with relitive impuity, and begin setting up Calm Mind's and Dragon Dances, respectively. Even more to add to this growing list of problems, Blaziken's defenses are not the best and therefor make him vulnerable to Dragonite, and Lucario's Extreme Speed after Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil. Play Blaziken right and his great attacking stats will smash walls, and after an Agility he can sweep entire teams.</p>

[OU Agility Sweeper]
name: Blaziken
move 1: FireBlast
move 2: SuperPower
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Grass
move 4: Agility
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
ability: Blaze
nature: Rash / Mild
evs: 52 Atk / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
ivs: All 31

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>One of the ways Blaziken can differentiate himself from Infernape is to utilize Agility. The process is simple, come in on something like Skarmory, Blissey, or a Scizor locked into Bullet Punch. Then proceed to use Agility as your opponent switches. After you have used Agility start your sweeping! With the given EV's Blaziken will reach 493 Speed, which will allow him to out speed everything including Choice Scarf Jirachi and Flygon. Who may feel inclined to come in and ruin your sweep. The 252 Special Attack EV's allow Blaziken to hit as hard as possible from the special side, as most people will switch to their physical walls. The remainder of the Ev's are placed into Attack as to allow Blaziken to OHKO both Blissey and Snorlax. To show the power of a Blaziken has on some major threats,and walls in today's metagame here are some calculations.
(These calculations are made assuming Blaziken is holding Life Orb)</p>

FireBlast vs Timid Jolteon 95.6 -- 112.9%
FireBlast vs 104Hp 0SpD Jolly Crobat 89 -- 105%
FireBlast vs 252Hp 0SpD Impish Dusknoir 65.6 – 77.6%
FireBlast vs 176Hp 248SpD Impish Hippowdon 60.6 – 71.3%
FireBlast vs 252Hp 172SpD Careful Hippowdon 57.1 – 67.4%
FireBlast vs 252Hp 0SpD Adamant Machamp 74.2 – 87.5%
FireBlast vs 252Hp 0SpD Bold Porygon2 69.8 – 82.1%
FireBlast vs 4Hp 0SpD Timid Raikou 77.3 – 91.3%
FireBlast vs 68Hp 72SpD Timid Raikou 68.3 – 80.8%
FireBlast vs 252Hp 0SpD Bold Rotom-A 77.3 – 91.1%
FireBlast vs 252Hp 200SpD Calm Rotom-A 58.6 – 69.1%
FireBlast vs 248Hp 228SpD Calm Zapdos 50.9 – 60.3%
FireBlast vs 248Hp 0SpD Bold Zapdos 70.8 – 83.8%
FireBlast vs 192Hp 0SpD Timid Zapdos 73.4 -- 87%
Hidden Power Grass vs 188Hp 0SpD Bold Vaporeon 45.1 – 53.1%
HiddenPower Grass vs 252Hp 216SpD Careful Swampert 72.2 – 91.1%
Hidden Power Grass vs 252Hp 0SpD Bold Suicune 42.6 – 50.5%
Hidden Power Grass vs 4Hp 0 SpD Timid Suicune 50.2 – 59.6%
Hidden Power Grass vs 0Hp 0SpD Adamant Gyarados 28 – 31.1%
Hidden Power Ice vs 252Hp 252SpD Careful Dragonite 72.5 -- 86%
SuperPower vs 4Hp 0Def Timid Suicune 53.5 – 63.2%
SuperPower vs 188Hp 252Def Bold Vaporeon 45.1 – 53.1%

<p>Blaziken has the Potential to OHKO - 2HKO almost every bulky and offensive Pokemon in the game pokemon. Pokemon such as Skarmory, Scizor, Flygon, Jirachi, and Blissey are excluded from the calculations as they are easily Ko'd by the appropriate move. The moves are fairly standard Fire Blast is your most powerful STAB move, Super Power is your only way of keeping Blissey and Snorlax at bay. Although Brick Break and Sky Uppercut can be used if you dislike the Attack and Defence drop. The drop in Power isn't felt too much as you should be sweeping mainly with Fire Blast and the Hidden Power of your Choice. Stone Edge is an alternate option over Super Power if you really hate Gyarados, as it deals a minimum of 44% to Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados. The choice of Hidden Power is really up to who you want to hit. If your worried about Swampert walling you use Hidden Power Grass. If you want to hit Dragonite and Flygon use Hidden Power Ice. Again if you really hate Gyarados Hidden power Electric could be used, but having an electric type in reserve would probably be better. Note: That most Vaporeon, and Suicune will take almost as much damage from a super effective Hidden Power Grass as they would from a STAB Super Power. an Expert Belt can be used to Bluff a Choice Item early on, but the loss of power from Life Orb makes KOing things a lot harder. A Rash nature allows for maximum special attack without sacrificing physical attack and providing the most protection from priority.</p>

<p>This Blaziken really enjoys entry hazards as they will allow him to turn many 2HKO's into OHKO's. Stealth Rocks give Blaziken an easier time dealing with Zapdos and other flyiers. Spikes allow Blaziken to have an easier time with Bulky grounded foes such as Hippowdon and Dusknoir. Finally Toxic Spikes allow Blaziken's number one counters...those damn bulky waters, Suicune, and Vaporeon to be effectively crippled. A great partner to Blaziken is Specially Defensive Skarmory as it can lay down Spikes and Stealth Rock, while being able to take minimal damage from Suicune and Vaporeon's Surfs. A SubCalmind Suicune can only hit Skarmory for a max of 42% with Hidden Power Electric and if it starts to set up Skarmory can Whirlwind it away. Tentacruel or Foretress also make good partners. Foretress can lay down all 3 entry hazards as well as being able to spin them away. Tentacruel can spin entry hazards away as well and can lay down Toxic Spikes too. Tentacruel however has an easier time switching into Suicune and Vaporeon, with his resistance to water type attacks and a high special defence Tentacruel should have little problem switching in and setting up Toxic Spikes. Another great partner is Choice Scarf Rotom-A as Scarf Rotom-A can revenge kill a +1 Jolly Gyarados with Thunderbolt, and even Trick away his Scarf onto any sort of wall and thus give you a possible chance to set up. Rotom-A also prevents your entry hazards from being spun which are vital for Blaziken's sweep.<p/>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

OU
<p>The OU Agility set needs a minum of 204 Spe Ev's with a neutral nature to allow Blaziken to get the jump on +speed positive natured base 100's, such as Scarfed Flygon and Jirachi. One could opt for 116 Spe Ev's with a Naive nature which allows Blaziken to still hit the same amount of speed for more Physical attacking power, however the 10% loss in special attack isn't worth it most of the time. If you really want a mild nature could be used, but with the priority attacks that threaten Blaziken the most ( Extreme Speed, Mach Punch etc.) Rash provides the same special attack boost while giving Blaziken the best protection from the ever so common physical priority. The special attack is maximized to provide as much special attacking power possible, since Fire Blast will be your main attacking option. Choosing Blaziken's Hidden Power is a little tricky, but generally Hidden Power Ice is the way to go as it allows Blaziken to OHKO even the most specially bulky Dragonite with Stealth Rock on the field.</p>

[Team Options]

OU
<p>Generally you will want to have Agility Blaziken paired with a bulky Spiker, and Stealth Rocker. Skarmory and Foretress both are great options, Foretress not only lays down Stealth Rock and Spikes but Toxic Spikes as well. In addition to that Foretress can also reliably Spin away any hazards your opponent may have layed down. Skarmory on the other hand is immune to Earthquake which is one of Blaziken's biggest weaknesses, Skarmory can also shuffle the opponents team around allowing you to not only weaken to opposing team through residual damage, but to scout your oponent's team and find the best time to bring Blaziken in for his sweep.
The Agility also appreciates a Spin Blocker to prevent Blaziken's much needed entry hazards from being spun away. Choice Scarf Rotom-A does nicely as he can revenge kill bulky waters, and trick his Scarf to special walls like Blissey or Snorlax who love to switch in.</p>

[Optional Changes]

OU
<p>On the Agility set you can run either Brick Break or Sky Uppercut over Superpower if you dislike the attack and defense drop, with all the entry hazards Blaziken will have, the power difference isn't to noticeable. Hidden Power Electric can be used but generally hitting just Gyarados isn't worth it. As stated before an alternate EV Spread of 140Atk / 252SpA / 116Spe with a Naive nature allows Blaziken to still have the same speed after an Agility, but sacrifices his SpA for more Atk. If you opt for Brick Break or Sky Uppercut ove Super Power this option will significantly increase the power of your physical move. Note that you will not be able to hit as hard from the Special side and therefor some of those KO's you would have previously obtained will be lost.</p>

[Counters]

OU
<p>In OU bulky waters really cause Blaziken trouble. Swampert can come in on a physically based Blaziken and proceed to set up Curse or begin Phasing your team with Roar. Gyarados can come in on anything (bar Stone Edge, and the rare Hidden Power Electric) and start Dragon Dancing in Blaziken's face. Vaporeon can come in as Blaziken uses Agility, and Wish and Protect stall Blaziken out. Suicune is also very painful to face as Super Power from the Agility Set fails to do more than 35% damage on CroCune. While Blaziken retreats CroCune can begin Calm Minding and walk over an unprepared team. CB Dragonite can also counter Blaziken to an extent. CB Dragonite can KO Blaziken with Extreme Speed after Stealth Rock Damage and 2 Turns or Life Orb Recoil.</p>

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry to say that while you appear to have put some hard effort into this, this is in the wrong format and in the wrong place to post. Before sets or analyses get posted on site, they are written as an outline/skeleton and put into the forum Quality Control.

Also, there is already an Agility Blaziken being proposed in QC. Not sure of this will get past QC or not.

Yeah I know sorry.....I am still new here and I stupidly posted before reading the rules and such....if you could give me directions to get to the sub forum place that would be great.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wait for a C&C member to decide what to do with this.

By the way, if you want some insight on Agility Blaziken in OU, check out the OU Quality Control forums for the other Agility set, click on the thread in this redirection link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Though personally I don't think it's too bad and would do decently in OU, people are comparing this to Infernape which has higher speed by default. Be prepared to debate and defend.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Moved. I kept a day redirect for now. Make sure you read the rules please before posting a set. Not going to bother with major nitpicking since it looks semi-skeleton-ish, but it is:

[SET]
name: Name of Set
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability: (Only use if it has more than 1 ability)
nature:
EVs:
ivs: (Only use if it needs specific IVs)

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Crossposted from the OTHER OU Agility Blaziken thread :<

Blaziken is basically an Infernape that sucks. Agility is an even worse idea simply because other than "skarmbliss", this thing is having severe, severe issues against most anything bulky, and is prone to getting shut down. That's assuming it even GETS an Agility (and that's a big if considering Blaziken's frailness). Why should Blaziken bother boosting its Speed when Infernape can actually outspeed relevant things AND boost its attacking stats, wihch allows it to bust through bulky water-types which inhabit the metagame.

This gets a no from me.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

Hi Raiden475, unfortunately I just finished turning down the other Agility Blaziken thread, and for the same reasons, I will have to say no to this set as well.

I really do think you did a fantastic job writing this up, though, and I hope my rejection doesn't discourage you from contributing in the future, as I think Smogon would be lucky to have another great writer such as yourself! Just make sure you post a skeleton analysis first, and double check to see if someone else already posted the same set before you, so you don't end up wasting any time =/.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I also think that you did an amazing job writing this set, and I would certainly like to see more contributions from you in the future, Raiden475.

This is the Blaziken set that Philip mentioned. I'm locking this thread now given my rejection. Don't hesitate to try again at a later date though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)