Pokemon Black and White (SPECULATIONS ALLOWED HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who's a little bit sad that there's absolutely no evos of old pokes? Like, not even post national dex?
i understand your sentiments, but it's all for the best; think of it as sort of a "re-boot" of the franchise. going into 3D, random online battles, that kind of thing. it's like RBY all over again, and God knows how giddy i was the first time around. in that regard, i'm pretty happy with it, and i believe we'll all settle in comfortably with it, knowing that we got almost 100% new stuff.

Did anybody else notice Bug Resistance has replaced Stealth Rock as TM76? I guess it will be mainly old leads we have to worry about then (darn Azelf!), as I can't see many pokemon getting it by level-up.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Has it been confirmed if the Gym Leaders are rebattlable or not? Since the Elite 4 got updated teams after National Pokédex.

Stealth Rock´s old number was the first thing I checked after seeing the new TM list. I´m happy, as I seriously hated SR :) Ruined to many good Pokemon.

Btw, am I the only one who thinks that Smuglord actually is the best of all the Starters, competitively? It has great speed(faster than Nape), good defenses and two similar attack stats to work with. Also, it can learn Coil Up(Atk,Def and Accuracy Boost) and probably Growth to boost both of its attack stats.

Aside from its type, that thing could seriously hurt, assuming it gets something to deal with Fire(or to get good coverage at least). Arbok has EQ, maybe that one too?

I think the Smogon Council is gonna have to sit back, take their fingers off the ban button, and let the hyper offense metagame that's about to be unleashed play out. Pokemon now have unbalanced stats, entry hazards are nearly unusable (Aiming Stone + Rapid Spin), we have some pretty sweet moves, and there are also some really powerful items being cranked out, and I say lets run with it. Of course the obviously broken Pokemon like Kyogre and Groudon should stay banned because they're just godly, but lets just allow all the old suspects back in. Also, if something becomes clearly broken like Swimming Goggles + Trick, then yea, ban that combo, but lets not be too quick to call something "broken".

I think the Smogon Council is gonna have to sit back, take their fingers off the ban button, and let the hyper offense metagame that's about to be unleashed play out. Pokemon now have unbalanced stats, entry hazards are nearly unusable (Aiming Stone + Rapid Spin), we have some pretty sweet moves, and there are also some really powerful items being cranked out, and I say lets run with it. Of course the obviously broken Pokemon like Kyogre and Groudon should stay banned because they're just godly, but lets just allow all the old suspects back in. Also, if something becomes clearly broken like Swimming Goggles + Trick, then yea, ban that combo, but lets not be too quick to call something "broken".
I agree to an extent. I think we should start with everything (or almost everything) unbanned, but I do think we should get a move on quickly, like having banning rounds every 2 weeks (for example) initially. When we've got a stabler metagame, we can re-test some of the Pokemon we weren't so sure on, in a more thorough fashion, but I don't think it should be another case of us having to wait 3 years until we've got an NU tier.

Yea even if Aiming mark lets you hit ghosts, Aiming Mark + Rapid Spin is still being way overhyped, Stealth Rocks are really easy to set up and unless they have been nerfed they are too good not to include and if past gens are anything to go by we might get maybe 6 new Rapid Spin users of which maybe 2 are worth using.

It would not surprise me if Game Freak added several new type-based hazards just to get the message across - "THIS STUFF IS NOT BALANCED IN 1v1".

I'm hoping, anyway - SR is a bigger overcentraliser than any Pokemon.

I agree to an extent. I think we should start with everything (or almost everything) unbanned, but I do think we should get a move on quickly, like having banning rounds every 2 weeks (for example) initially. When we've got a stabler metagame, we can re-test some of the Pokemon we weren't so sure on, in a more thorough fashion, but I don't think it should be another case of us having to wait 3 years until we've got an NU tier.
But so many pokemon are gonna be insta banned then; Hihi, Ono, Genosekuto, etc. Perhaps wait a little longer for people to develop more strategies since everyone is going to be using the new pokes to test out, making things seem more broken than they really are.

Yea even if Aiming mark lets you hit ghosts, Aiming Mark + Rapid Spin is still being way overhyped, Stealth Rocks are really easy to set up and unless they have been nerfed they are too good not to include and if past gens are anything to go by we might get maybe 6 new Rapid Spin users of which maybe 2 are worth using.
I think you're underestimating Aiming Rock. Not only can Forretress and Donphan hit ghosts with rapid spin, but they can bypass their levitate abilities as well and hit them EQ. Skarmory has to worry about this as well, making his role as a Spiker a little more dangerous. Stealth Rocks may be easy to set up, but they're just as easy to get rid of now too. Unless Knock Off gets a huge boost and Magic Room is spread to ghosts, I don't see it being nearly as big as it is now. Also, if it gets nerfed like people are thinking (capped at 25%), that just makes it even less appealing.

I think you're underestimating Aiming Rock. Not only can Forretress and Donphan hit ghosts with rapid spin, but they can bypass their levitate abilities as well and hit them EQ. Skarmory has to worry about this as well, making his role as a Spiker a little more dangerous. Stealth Rocks may be easy to set up, but they're just as easy to get rid of now too.
This, actually. Aerodactyl, Azelf, Skarmory - all common Stealth Rock users and suddenly EQ prone.
However, in the case that Stealth Rock does stay as it is, we know there's one reliable lead counter on hand - and this could be Starmie.

Not only is it the fastest water pokemon overall, but with Swimming Goggles it should be the best check. Assuming that Goggles give a speed boost of 1.1, which seems likely, a max speed Starmie can outspeed Aerodactyl and Azelf. It can then either decide to knock it out or play it safe (in case of Sash) by Tricking the goggles onto the Stealth Rocker and sending them to sleep and then hammering it with Special Moves.

This could be countered by Choice Scarf, but using a scarf just for the sake of Stealth Rock may not seem the most economical of ideas. If other pokemon try to Trick a scarf on to Starmie they'll just get put to sleep.
Even with Scarf and Sash, Starmie can just Spin hazards away afterwards, since Goggles would mean Starmie can already outspeed most threats.
Obviously this overrules spin blockers, but chances are if you let hazards set up you'll still have your goggles to play with and hit whatever ghost tries to switch in with Hydro Pump (meaning Ghost/Fire or Ghost/Ground won't be switching in) or another move. Aiming Mark may mean a decline in Spinblockers anyhow - however I doubt this because a lot of ghosts will still have useful functions on their own.

Assuming Goggles provide a 1.1 Speed Boost, Stealth Rock leads could have a great enemy, with a great set of tools to shut them down.

Swimming Goggles?

Starmies everywhere would be loving this new item, especially since it knows trick. Also, many other water types might actually prefer this over Life Orb, since they can effectively fire off a 88 acc hydro pump now. Its still shaky, but it's actually even more accurate than Fire Blast now.

Also, would Basurao wreck havoc with its dual STAB moves with 92/90/98 offensive stats? They're at least pretty solid and at least he dosen't have carvanha defenses.

Also, would Basurao wreck havoc with its dual STAB moves with 92/90/98 offensive stats? They're at least pretty solid and at least he dosen't have carvanha defenses.
Well if you can provide it rain (and I think when we'll start tests Kyogre is enough), this guy may have deadly base power on his water attacks with Adaptability. Just to show you under Rain his Waterfall has... 270 base power. It just needs Dragon Dance/Agility to boost his speed and I see some potential here.

It's just because I'm a Bug type fanboy, but I really hope the SR nerf will allow for more use of stuff like Yanmega, Vespequen, and the new lava moth in the competitive metagame.

Can someoone please tell what these "Swimming goggles" are?
Raises the Speed and Accuracy of Water Types
If anything else holds it, it causes sleep.

Which means potential for:
General Water Attackers getting a boost
Moves like Aqua Tail and Muddy Water becoming viable
Tricking what could possibly be permanent sleep onto opponents with Rotom, Starmie, Slowking and Hypno.
Guts Sleep Talk sets
Sleep Talk Neutral Priority Fazing sets
and as I just commented, ruining Stealth Rock leads.

On the subject of this item, I just realise that it could really be handy when you're facing a faster opponent and you want your item back before you KO it. You can use Trick after the foe, since it's faster, and once you have the item, you're the fastest again.

Anyone noticed that SR is NOT on the tm list anymore?

If SR becomes rare all the powerhouses like the bug/fire monster, the Ghost/fire monster and the Ice/Dragon monster will be able to come in safely. Additionally, if SR becomes a 4th gen only move, we say buhbye to new abilities and/egg moves.

HOPING TO GET IT AS A TUTOR MOVE!!!

Just for the record, the pokemon Ononokusu got his name because when it chases prey they yell: ONONO! Then, they make the sound Kusu when they finally hit a wall.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Um guys, you can still transfer stuff from DPPtHGSS, so SR is still pretty common on Gen 1-4 Pokemon ok, so don't get overly excited. I also suspect SR mgiht be breedable in gen 5 to compensate for lack of its TM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)