locopoke

Banned deucer.

Baffuron #626​
The baddest mother fucker in Isshu.​

Info and shit

Typing: Normal
BST: 490
Base Stats: 95 / 110 / 95 / 40 / 95 / 55
Abilities: Reckless / Herbivore / Soundproof (Dream World)

Baffuron, or Afro Bull as I prefer to call him, may be on the slow side, but he was blessed with solid defenses and a respectable 110 attack. He's definitely not a wall by any means, but he can take hits and strike back with powerful attacks. Reckless is really Afro Bull's only useful ability, since it allows him to abuse his 120 BP normal type attack with reduced recoil. Herbivore could be viable if it gave him a grass-type immunity, but as far as I know it doesn't.

Moves

Lv1: Pursuit
Lv1: Leer
Lv6: Rage
Lv11: Fury Attack
Lv16: Horn Attack
Lv21: Scary Face
Lv26: Revenge
Lv31: [M543] - Physical Normal PP: 15 Power: 120 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Returns to user 1/4 of HP lost by opponent due to this attack (recoil).
Lv36: Focus Energy
Lv41: Megahorn
Lv46: Reversal
Lv51: Thrash
Lv56: Swords Dance
Lv61: Giga Impact

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM66 - Payback
TM67 - Get Even
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM78 - Smooth Over - Ground Physical | PP | 60 BP | Accuracy: 100% |Effect: Lowers the opponent's speed.
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM83 - Cheer Up
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Bolt - Physical Electric PP: 15 Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Returns to user 1/4 of HP lost by opponent due to this attack (recoil).
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM01 - Cut
HM03 - Surf
HM04 - Strength

Revenge
Rock Climb
Headbutt
Skull Bash
Mud Shot
Mud-Slap
Iron Head
Amnesia

Afro Bull really doesn't have a vast movepool, just the standard shit, but he has some interesting moves that can make up for his lackluster speed. Scary Face allows him to cut the opponent's speed in half, forcing a switch or outrunning them and dealing some good damage. Smooth Over can also be used as a way to lower speed but also deal damage, like a physical version of Icy Wind. With max HP and defensive EV investment, I can also see him being able to run a Chesto Rest set with Swords Dance ([M543] and Stone Edge as the other two moves). Substitute and Taunt can pretty much find it's way onto any moveset, but seeing as anything Afro Bull is going to be taunting is probably faster than him, it might not be such a good idea.

Possible Sets

Name: Banded Bull
Afro Bull @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Moves:
- [M543]
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wild Bolt

Name: Dancing Bull
Afro Bull @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def (cba to do damage calcs for another spread but it probably needs some defense or sp def)
Moves:
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- [M543]
- Wild Bolt

Post your own sets and voice your opinion about Afro Bull! Please don't say it's a worse Tauros, he is completely different than Tauros other than being a bull. Try to contribute something instead of just being a moron!

I think Herbivore does grant an immunity? Justice Heart, Volt Absorb, Flash Fire, etc all do, so I think its a pretty safe assumption.

Anyway, I could see something like this working:

Buffaron@Choice Band
Adamant; 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def

Megahorn
Stone Edge
Earthquake
[M543] Afro Break

Simple and to the point. Afrobull's low speed and bulk lend themselves to a CB set, which has the potential to be further boosted by herbivore/reckless.

breh

強いだね
It's not entirely Tauros v2, at least.

To me, the one biggest problem with tauros always seemed to be it had no way of stat-boosting. Sure, it could hit hard and was in a really nice speed tier, but it was cruelly denied swords dance. On the flipside, afrobull has this and the same great attack (not the speed though...) and can certainly make a set of it. I'd think it'd go something like Icyman's set just with SD over Megahorn; Reckless or Herbivore both work.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys can we get legitimate discussion.

Just because it looks like a Tauros with jungle fever doesn't mean that that it's similar in anyway.

Talk about it on its merits. Thanks.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I've updated the OP with a couple sets to get us started. Discuss or post your own sets.

Edit: Apparently Herbivore does indeed grant an immunity to grass type attacks while also giving you +1 attack, so this could be a possibility for Afro Bull to counter dominant grass types (if there are any).

If Herbivore does in fact grant an immunity to grass, then this could be useful in conjunction with Swampert (or anything else 4x weak to grass)...come in on the Grass Knot/Seed Bomb/whatever, preferably a choiced one, and hit the switch in with a powerful EQ/SE/Afro Break/Megahorn, possibly with Aiming Mark to ensure a hit?

If this pokemon was faster, then I don't think that there would be many comparisons to Tauros. If you're going for a CB set, then Tauros, overall seems like the more ideal choice. The SD set, is very interesting however. Bring the Afro Bull in on something, scare it off, then SD, it should then be able to survive an opposing attack and strike back with formidable force.

Hmm, perhaps a stalk set, but...it also could be compared to Tauros, but it is an option.

Damn... this thing disappointed me =/ It is more than suited for a choice band, but with such bad speed and lack of priority I am not sure if an SD set will get far. It does have fairly respectable 95/95/95 defenses, so it may be able to pull off some sort of utility counter to things like chlorophyll abusers (leafeon?) but that will need testing down the road.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
If this pokemon was faster, then I don't think that there would be many comparisons to Tauros. If you're going for a CB set, then Tauros, overall seems like the more ideal choice. The SD set, is very interesting however. Bring the Afro Bull in on something, scare it off, then SD, it should then be able to survive an opposing attack and strike back with formidable force.

Hmm, perhaps a stalk set, but...it also could be compared to Tauros, but it is an option.
I honestly have no reason why you are comparing him to Tauros, other than the fact that they're both bulls. Let's have a look at their stats:

Tauros: 75 / 100 / 95 / 40 / 70 / 110
Baffuron: 95 / 110 / 95 / 40 / 95 / 55

Afro Bull has substantially better defenses and even has more attack than Tauros does. This lets him hit like a truck and take several hits without problems, while Tauros is pretty frail outside of Intimidate. If you actually bothered to read the thread instead of just posting and making a fool of yourself then maybe you'd know this already. Afro Bull is probably more comparable to Ursaring, Lickilicky or even Snorlax. Please stop posting retarded shit.

Lol at the delted post comments

Similiar stats, besides the bad speed
Same typing
Similiar moves
Same animal
Same sprite with a afro pasted on
Clone

It's tauros with out the speed so it can't sweep (100/110 vs. 110/55), not that tauros could sweep but this thing will get laughed at if it tries. It's not bulky either wjen you consider tauros is a fragile sweeper (95/95/95 vs. 75/95/70), it only resists ghost, have fun getting hit with stab all day. It's stats and abilitly don't allow it to have any sort of useful role, it's a nothing pokemon, it's...never used!

It gets 2 hitted by life orbers while being outspeed by everything, useless.

I honestly have no reason why you are comparing him to Tauros, other than the fact that they're both bulls. Let's have a look at their stats:

Tauros: 75 / 100 / 95 / 40 / 70 / 110
Baffuron: 95 / 110 / 95 / 40 / 95 / 55

Afro Bull has substantially better defenses and even has more attack than Tauros does. This lets him hit like a truck and take several hits without problems, while Tauros is pretty frail outside of Intimidate. If you actually bothered to read the thread instead of just posting and making a fool of yourself then maybe you'd know this already. Afro Bull is probably more comparable to Ursaring, Lickilicky or even Snorlax. Please stop posting retarded shit.
Oh...excuse me for noticing their similar stat distribution and the fact that they have a similar movepools :/

Baffuron, on the defensive side has more special defense than Tauros. Tauros's trait more than even's the gap when it comes to taking physical hits, unless of course you believe Dragonite can take physical hits better than Salamence?

Also you should excuse yourself for not noticing the fact that I did mention things that would set it apart from being compared to Tauros.

Perhaps you should go to bed, it would seem the B/W excitement has deluded your mind little one.

Oh...excuse me for noticing their similar stat distribution and the fact that they have a similar movepools :/

Baffuron, on the defensive side has more special defense than Tauros. Tauros's trait more than even's the gap when it comes to taking physical hits, unless of course you believe Dragonite can take physical hits better than Salamence?

Also you should excuse yourself for not noticing the fact that I did mention things that would set it apart from being compared to Tauros.

Perhaps you should go to bed, it would seem the B/W excitement has deluded your mind little one.
This definitely doesn't need to spiral into a fight over something stupid. Just talk about the damn bull

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Lol at the delted post comments

Similiar stats, besides the bad speed
Same typing
Similiar moves
Same animal
Same sprite with a afro pasted on
Clone

It's tauros with out the speed so it can't sweep (100/110 vs. 110/55), not that tauros could sweep but this thing will get laughed at if it tries. It's not bulky either wjen you consider tauros is a fragile sweeper (95/95/95 vs. 75/95/70), it only resists ghost, have fun getting hit with stab all day. It's stats and abilitly don't allow it to have any sort of useful role, it's a nothing pokemon, it's...never used!

It gets 2 hitted by life orbers while being outspeed by everything, useless.
Afro Bull is generally bulkier than Tauros and hits a lot harder thanks to Reckless. Most of these life orbers that you claim 2hko him probably get ohko'd by Afro Break with Life Orb / Choice Band.

Also I definitely don't think he can run a rest / sleep talk set. I originally had a Chesto Berry + Rest set with Swords Dance in the OP but he doesn't have two moves that give him good coverage. He could run Chesto / Rest without Swords Dance though, but I'd prefer if he were able to hit harder.

I think that a rest + Sleep Talk set may work with return/ [m543] and either EQ or Wild bolt, but the coverage is limited.

Edit : Thank you both for being mature

Azure Demon

I'm disappointed

The guy could have all the potential in the world if he either had more speed or either intimidate

Only the speed is the only problem here. But we all know how important speed is... Without it, you just can't fight on serious level, at least in higher tiers. So many powerfull Pokemon ended up in UU/NU in Gen 4, because they were just too slow. While it's bulky, lack of resists hurts it more then lack of weaknesses though. And with so many Fighting types introduced, I don't think that Baffuron will have an easy life here.

However it may provide a niche - Reckless Choice Band. It has good enough movepool for this and mostly power to abuse it. However I see another problem here - IMO when you look for slow, really powerfull Reckless Choice Bander, I think Emboar is better choice IMO. Of course, they have totally different typing, however Emboar thanks to Fire/Fighting finds more chances to switch in (with few usefull resistances). Unfortunately, it's perfect cannon, but IMO without few important things which would make it top-tier Pokemon in Gen 5. Lower tiers in future, nothing else.

If this guy got Agility/Body Purge(?)/Rock Polish I'd say it'd be pretty good. But with lackluster speed and no way of boosting it it's potential is limited. It seems a bit like a bulkier Guts Ursaring to me.

I would really like for someone to confirm if Herbivore has the grass type immunity or not? Even though Grass is not that a prominent of an attacking type, an immunity + bonus is never a bad thing, and could prove to be a good ability for the bull and the other ones sharing it.

I like this mon very much. It's desing cracks me up and it IS quite powerfull. I do not like Reckless that much, but if Herbivore will not give him grass immunity, then I guess it is his best option after all. Movepool is ok I guess. An electric attack on a normal physical attacker is quite rare actualy, and can be the thing that sets him apart from his other normal type bretheren.

I honestly have no reason why you are comparing him to Tauros, other than the fact that they're both bulls.
Okay lemme point something out. Its a Buffalo not a Bull. Two completely different animals! Bulls=Male Cow. Buffalo=Giant furry animal that prowls the great plains of North America. Hence the name Buffaron. (Buffalo.)

See they even have afros in real life:

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Afro bull is, for me, better than Tauros. He's bulkier, have SD, Wild Bolt, Megahorn, three great abilities, and a buffalo based on AfroSamurai is cooler than a three-tailed bull. The speed factor is the main advantage of Tauros, but that's not an issue anymore:

Variety man came from the Super Globetrotters to sweep

@Life Orb
Brave Nature
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def

~ Afro Break
~ Earthquake
~ Wild Bolt
~ Megahorn/Stone Edge/Swords Dance

Taurus cannot sweep in Trick Room. Buffalon can. Sleep with that, Tauros.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
So there's a big bolded message in the OP and a warning by a moderator but you guys still compare it to Tauros? Seriously, stop it. They serve completely different roles. You're comparing a Pokemon with 55 Spe to one with 110 Spe and then criticising Baffuron for not being as fast. Er...thanks.

The general consensus in this thread is really typical of most of the community's response to BW Pokemon and it's frustrating me to no end.

'It doesn't have massive Attack and Speed. Trash'

Bullshit, this looks like a good addition to UU to me. It's actually bulkier than Swampert, has an excellent Choice Banders movepool and hits harder than it's 110 base Atk would lead you to believe thanks to STAB Return (probably the most underated weapon in Pokemon) and Reckless Afro Break.

Baffuron @ Choice Band
Adamant | Reckless
168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
- Return
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Pursuit
- Afro Break

Return for reliable, consistent damage and it hits like a truck, easily OHKOing offensive Venusaur and knocking about 60% off of 252/252+ Milotic . Earthquake rips into Steels and Rocks and the third move is there for dealing with Ghosts in whichever way you see fit.

Working on the assumption that Reckless hasn't changed from it's Gen IV version and still is a 20% boost (Serebii seems to be reporting that it now doubles the power of recoil moves but that seems ridiculous), Afro Break is your trump card OHKOing 252/252+ Milotic that has suffered SR and any previous damage (80% on avg). That's one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier so just go figure what happens to everything else.

His bulk is what sets him apart from other Normal Choice Banders. This spread puts him at 373/226/226 meaning standard Milotics Surf does as little as 28% (whereas Tauros is always 2HKO'd by the same attack after SR) which is pretty absurd for a Pokemon with 525 Atk.

As crazy as this is going to sound initially, I think he's more comparable to Slaking than Tauros in that he strikes me as being a really useful offensive pivot in the same vein as Slaking. Switch in on a variety of offensive threats, use that bulk to soak up an attack and then use your huge attacking power to put the opponent on the backfoot. Also, like Slaking, he can function as an emergency revenge killer with his bulk allowing him to usually handle at least one boosted attack and OHKO in return. Screw you guys, I like him.

edit: and if Herbivore does grant a Grass immunity I might just give it the nod over Reckless because (in 4th Gen at least) UU tends to see a lot of Grass attacks flying around.

Everyone seems to be complaining about speed, maybe a Choice Scarf could work? Assuming that Afro Break is [M543], you can come in and spam it with Reckless: STAB (I guess) + 120 BP + 110 Base Attack + Reckless appears to be a pretty spamable move.

Definately will use this in-game, maybe competitive if it manages to find a niche.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)