Slowbro

Slowbro: Water / Psychic

95/ 75 /110 /100 / 80 / 30

Oblivious - Grants immunity to infatuation and Captivate. (Kinda worthless)

Own Tempo - Prevents confusion. (Not so useful either)

Regeneration - HP is restored when you switch out (33%). This is no doubt going to be Slowbros ability of choice, for a wall being able to recover 33% of health upon switch is very useful

By level up
Slowbro: Lv1: Curse, Lv1: Yawn, Lv1: Tackle, Lv1: Growl, Lv5: Growl, Lv9: Water Gun, Lv14: Confusion, Lv19: Disable, Lv23: Headbutt, Lv28: Water Pulse, Lv32: Zen Headbutt, Lv36: Slack Off, Lv37: Withdraw, Lv43: Amnesia, Lv49: Psychic, Lv55: Rain Dance, Lv62: Psych Up, Lv68: [M505]

Egg Moves (Slowpoke)
Belly Drum
Future Sight
Stomp
Mud Sport
Sleep Talk
Snore
Me First
Block
Zen Headbutt
[M472]Wonder Room

Learnable TMs and HMs:
TM03 - Psycho Shock, TM04 - Calm Mind, TM06 - Toxic, TM07 - Hail, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM16 - Light Screen, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM19 - Telekinesis, TM20 - Safeguard, TM21 - Frustration, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM29 - Psychic, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM35 - Flamethower, TM38 - Fire Blast , TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM49 - Echo Voice, TM52 - Focus Blast, TM55 - Boiling Water, TM56 - Fling, TM59 - Complete Burn, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM70 - Flash, TM73 - Thunder Wave, TM77 - Psych Up, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM85 - Dream Eater, TM86 - Grass Knot, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM92 - Trick Room, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM03 - Surf, HM04 - Strength, HM06 - Dive

In gen 4, while slowbro was completely viable, it didnt get much usage in OU due to competition from other Bulky Waters. Since the 5th gen Metagame looks to be physically based, Slowbros 95/110 defenses are sure to be useful. additionally, Slowbro posses a fighting resistance which most water types cannot boast. Slowbro also seems to be a great surefire counter to the Water/Fighting legendary (Kerudio) as well.

Movesets: ( I edited them from the gen 4 ones on analysis)

Bulky Water
Leftovers Regeneration Bold
~ Slack Off
~ Boiling Water / Surf
~ Ice Beam / Psychic / HP Electric
~ Thunder Wave / Toxic / Yawn
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Standard Defensivly Bulky Slowbro, can switch into physical attacks aimed at it and deal damage. Psychic is for Kerudio, Gengar etc while providing good nuetral damage. Ice Beam is for Dragons and Boiling Water has a decent 30% chance of burning opponents.

Calm Mind
Leftovers Regeneration Bold
~ Calm Mind
~ Boiling Water / Surf
~ Slack Off
~ Psychic / Ice Beam
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Same as above except aims to settup and potentially sweep.

Trick Room
Leftovers Regeneration Relaxed
~ Trick Room
~ Slack Off
~ Surf / Boiling Water
~ Psychic / Ice Beam
0 Spe IVs
EVs
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Aims to set Trick room for itself as well as teammates. There are several slow Heavy hitters in this gen that will benefit from this as well as the older stuff as well.

Name: Lure
Slowbro @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Regeneration
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Nature: Bold
~ Calm Mind
~ Wonder Room / Psychic / Psycho Shock
~ Boiling Water / Surf
~ Slack Off

Start off by setting up CMs to lure in a special wall like Blissey. Psycho Shock hits special walls where it hurts. Wonder Room shifts Def and SpD for 5 turns, making a normally monstrous wall very frail for 5 turns. As an added bonus, Slowbro will have an immense defense after a few CMs during Wonder Room, to take care of any physical attackers who switch in after Blissey realizes it can die very easily. Boiling Water is the 2nd obligatory STAB move and probably the new staple attack for bulky waters.

so yea, discuss and post new sets if any ideas. If i made any mistakes feel free to point out

How about a Blissey/Special Wall lure set? It has some new toys to play with this gen.

~ Calm Mind
~ Boiling Water / Surf
~ Slack Off

Start off by setting up CMs to lure in a special wall like Blissey. Psycho Shock hits special walls where it hurts. Wonder Room shifts Def and SpD for 5 turns, making a normally monstrous wall very frail for 5 turns. As an added bonus, Slowbro will have an immense defense after a few CMs during Wonder Room, to take care of any physical attackers who switch in after Blissey realizes it can die very easily. Boiling Water is the 2nd obligatory STAB move and probably the new staple attack for bulky waters.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Slowbro just got so many buffs. Regeneration, Boiling Water, Wonder Room. I think that he may become of the Bulky Waters of choice for the next gen. Along with great defensive stats, he also has great support moves like T-Wave, instant recovery and now Boiling Water which is going to future wreck things that try and stay in on him. Plus other bulky waters that try and switch either have the possibility of being burned or T-waved.

He also has great typing and with the addition of all these fighters, he is going to coming in all the time and leaving with great HP. I can't say how happy I am they buffed him. Wish he got T-Bolt but oh well. (How the fuck do they give him T-Wave and not T-Bolt?)

I'm definitely seeing Slowbro returning to rule the Roost, as it is one of the few bulky waters with instant Recovery. A simple set of Boiling Water / Slack Off / Thunder Wave / Ice Beam is probably the way to go, since Slowbro is pretty capable of dealing with dragons and it really doesn't need Psychic to deal with fighting-types thanks to its high defense and boiling water.

Don't forget the Swimming Goggles + Trick combo, that only a small number of pokemon like Slowbro can pull off.

Psycho shock needs to be an option on all these sets as it helps slowbro deal with special walls.

slobro@ choice specs
regeneration modest nature
252 hp/ 252 spa/ 6 def
-psycho shock/psychic
-boiling water/surf
-ice beam
-hp elec/grass

I think choice items work really well with regeneration since it turns the weakness of having to switch a lot into a strength.

With this set you can repeatedly switch into attacks and hit back hard. Nothing is going to want to switch in to a powered up stab boiling water except other special based bulky waters who risk taking a devestating hp grass or stab psycho shock.

^I'd rather leave that to Starmie, since it benefits from outrunning ScarfTar / crippling Blissey / higher accuracy much more than Slowbro does.

Slowbro can still use it, but I think that's better left to Starmie.

Are we sure Slowbro got Regeneration? Because I remember reading somewhere that somebody thought it was mixed up with Starmie, who got Analyse (which boosts power if you attack last), and unfortunately that would make more sense.

Are we sure Slowbro got Regeneration? Because I remember reading somewhere that somebody thought it was mixed up with Starmie, who got Analyse (which boosts power if you attack last), and unfortunately that would make more sense.
No, I think that person was saying it would make more sense if their abilities were switched. But either way, both abilities would be great on Slowbro.

How about a Blissey/Special Wall lure set? It has some new toys to play with this gen.

~ Calm Mind
~ Boiling Water / Surf
~ Slack Off

So... it works on the assumption that your opponent won't know what new moves it has?

The ability to use Calm Mind boosts to hit enemies on either defense is a great addition indeed, but don't assume the opponent won't expect it.

You won't be hitting Gengar with Psychic, as it won't switch in to a potential Thunder Wave / Surf / Boiling Water, and it OHKOs with Shadow Ball.

Running Thunder Wave AND Boiling Water is somewhat redundant, if not just counterproductive.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Nature: Bold (+SDef, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Boiling Water / Surf
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power Electric / Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave / Toxic / Yawn

I realize I'm attempting to condense too many sets here. Last slot is basically your utility move. Calm Mind, Trick Room, Wonder Room also can fit in there. If you're running status you'd want Surf (besides Yawn, probably, as that forces switches mostly). If you're running something else, Boiling Water works great (although Surf may be worth using with a Calm Mind set). HP Electric hits Gyarados of course and other bulky waters. Flamethrower is only really good on a Trick Room set, as you'd then outspeed Scizor and beat him to the OHKO. Anyway, point being... don't run 2 status moves.

So... it works on the assumption that your opponent won't know what new moves it has?

The ability to use Calm Mind boosts to hit enemies on either defense is a great addition indeed, but don't assume the opponent won't expect it.
1. Wonder Room is not going to be used on every CM set from now until the end of time.
2. Even if the opponent is expecting it, then wouldn't their act of not switching in Blissey signal that even the threat of Wonder Room has done its job of scaring away special walls?

Uhh, just thought I'd like to point out, though most of you have likely noticed. That Slowbro getting yawn, boiling water, toxic AND thunderwave means he has the ability to dish out every status in the game.

B-e-a-utiful.

1. Wonder Room is not going to be used on every CM set from now until the end of time.
2. Even if the opponent is expecting it, then wouldn't their act of not switching in Blissey signal that even the threat of Wonder Room has done its job of scaring away special walls?
It won't be, but I'm sure it'll be popular enough to take note of.

As I said, it's useful. It doesn't have to be a surprise, just don't expect it to be.

k editing OP with some changes mentioned here, and yea wonder room should be useful, my mistake for not taking note of it prior. as for swimming goggles i agree with icyman i dont see much reason to use it on slowbro > starmie, its not meant to have that sorta role. and specs seems interesting ill add it

Instead of Leftovers, I would use Pre-Evolution stone. Not only does it have Slack Off, but Regeneration and with amazing defenses it is a pretty potent wall, especially, say, on a TR team. Slowbro will def be my TR setter of choice come Gen 5, and after a couple of Calm Minds or potentiall Amnesia/Iron Defense, you can just stall out with Toxic if there isn't a taunt user. Key word being isn't there.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Instead of Leftovers, I would use Pre-Evolution stone. Not only does it have Slack Off, but Regeneration and with amazing defenses it is a pretty potent wall, especially, say, on a TR team. Slowbro will def be my TR setter of choice come Gen 5, and after a couple of Calm Minds or potentiall Amnesia/Iron Defense, you can just stall out with Toxic if there isn't a taunt user. Key word being isn't there.
Except Slowbro isn't a Pre-evolution to anything so it can't use the Pre-evo stone.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
^I'd rather leave that to Starmie, since it benefits from outrunning ScarfTar / crippling Blissey / higher accuracy much more than Slowbro does.

Slowbro can still use it, but I think that's better left to Starmie.
With Regeneration, 252HP/4Def Choice Specs Slowbro takes a maximum of 40% from switching out of Scarf Tyranitar's Pursuit (although it needs to have 73% to survive so that Regeneraiton can activate).

Starmie does not outspeed and flat out dies if it switches. Slowbro lives to see another day without having to play the Pursuit/Crunch mindgame and switches in something like Lucario that sets up on a choice-locked Pursuit. I think Slowbro does the role better, mostly thanks to that fantastic new ability.

Well he really got a buff rhis generation. Although losing own tempo is gay when hit by dynamicpunch, regeneration is an awesiome ability that will help him as well has boiling water to cripple things like scizor and tyrtyranitar. I love slowbro already xdd

Well he really got a buff rhis generation. Although losing own tempo is gay when hit by dynamicpunch, regeneration is an awesiome ability that will help him as well has boiling water to cripple things like scizor and tyrtyranitar. I love slowbro already xdd
Slowbro's attack is low enough outside a wierd BellyDrum TrickRoom set that hitting himself won't do shit to him, and he can take quite a few DynamicPunches and Paybacks. He'd eventually get that Psychic off.

This really could be Slowbro's generation. Not only does it have more physical bulk than Swampert, but it has a pretty high Special Attack stat meaning it can play the role of Dragon slayer pretty easily. Plus, Slowbro deals with all the new threatening Ground-type sweepers like Doryuuzu and Randorosu better than pretty much any other Bulky Water; it has the best Defence stat so it's not getting OHKOd by +2 Earthquake from either of them and can OHKO them with Boiling Water/Ice Beam respectively, assuming Doryuuzu doesn't start running loads of HP EVs. Smart healing with Pain Split and Regeneration means that Slowbro can switch in multiple times as well. Basically, Slowbro just wins.

One must remember though, that doryuuzu learns night slash and x scissor for a reason(though neither is stabbed) We must also recall that the reason that slowbro wasn't good last time was due to weaknesses to bug and dark. I think the status of scizor and tyranitar will determine slowbro's usefulness, because taking stabbed neutral attacks hurts.

Doryuuzu hurts you more with STAB EQ. An Adamant +2 Life Orb Doryuuzu can't OHKO Slowking with EQ. But jezus christ it hurts.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Slowbro is definitely viable as an OU utility counter this gen, as it is able to survive powerful hits like +2 LO Doryuzuu's EQ and retaliate with Surf. It also defeats powerhouses like DD LO Salamence and SD LO Garchomp (that don't use Outrage). Yup, it's definitely one of the best physically bulky water types, and regeneration helps Slowbro A LOT (come on, Machamp won't beat this thing in a thousand years, even if it doesn't have Own Tempo).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)