Gengar

Gengar

Code:
[B]#094 Gengar[/B]
Typing: Ghost / Poison
Ability 1: 
   Levitate
    This Pokémon is immune to Ground-type moves. 
Ability 2: (Dream World)
   Unblessed
    This awesome Pokémon does not get a new ability. =(

HP:  60
Atk: 65
Def: 60
SpA: 130
SpD: 75
Spe: 110

[B]Pre-Evo Moves:[/B]
i'm not quite sure, if Gastly learns different moves than Gengar in Gen. 5 - so any help  is appreciated.

[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]
[B]Lv1: Hypnosis[/B]
Lv1: Lick
Lv1: Spite (Lv. 5: Spite)
[B]Lv8: Mean Look[/B]
Lv12:  Curse
Lv15: Night Shade
Lv19: Confuse Ray
Lv22: Sucker Punch
Lv25:  Shadow Punch
Lv28: Payback
[B]Lv33: Shadow Ball[/B]
Lv39: Dream Eater
[B]Lv44:  Dark Pulse[/B]
[B]Lv50: Destiny Bond[/B]
Lv55: [M506] Evil Eye
Lv61: Nightmare

[M506] aka Evil Eye // Special // Ghost // 10 PP // BP 50 // 100 Accuracy // Doubles in power if the target has a status ailment. 
[I]I'm still unsure if this includes every status condition or only poison. [B][unconfirmed][/B][/I]

[B]TM Moves:[/B]
TM06 - Toxic
TM09 - [B]Venom Shock[/B]
TM10 - [B]Hidden Power[/B]
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - [B]Taunt[/B]
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - [B]Protect[/B]
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - [B]Thunderbolt[/B]
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - [B]Shadow Ball[/B]
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM36 - [B]Sludge Bomb[/B]
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Troll
TM52 - [B]Focus Blast[/B]
TM53 - [B]Energy Ball[/B]
TM56 - Fling
TM61 - [B]Will-O-Wisp[/B]
TM63 - Embargo
TM64 - [B]Explosion[/B]
TM65 - Shadow Claw
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM77 - Psych Up
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - [B]Substitute[/B]
TM92 - Trick Room
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM04 - Strength

[B]Loses:[/B]
Ex-TM01 - [B]Focus Punch[/B]
Ex-TM19 - Giga Drain
Ex-TM43 - Secret Power
Ex-TM48 - Skill Swap
Ex-TM49 - Snatch
Ex-TM58 - Endure
Ex-TM60 - Drain Punch
Ex-TM78 - Captivate
Ex-TM82 - Sleep Talk
Ex-TM83 - Natural Gift
Ex-VM06 - Rock Smash

[B]Gets:[/B]
TM09 - Venom Shock
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM48 - Troll

[B]Troll[/B]: Normal Special PP: 15 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
Raises Base Power the more Pokemon you have with the attack.

[B]Venom Shock[/B]: Poison Special PP: 10 / Power: 65 / Accuracy: 100
Doubles damage if target is poisoned.

[B]Telekinesis[/B]: Others Psychic PP: 15 / Power: -- / Accuracy: --
 Makes Target easier to hit for 3 turns.

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
Psywave
[B]Perish Song[/B]
[B]Haze[/B]
Astonish
Grudge
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
ThunderPunch
Disable
Scary Face
[M499] Clear Smog
Smog

[B]Clear Smog[/B]: Special Poison PP: 15 / Power: 50 / Accuracy: --
  Resets all stat changes.
Gengar didn't get many toys to play with. This generation is kinda bad for Gengar, due to the possibilty to SubPunch Blissey. But i think that's the only thing for Gengar.

The other discussion, thats the reason why I am starting this, is, how is Gengar getting on with all the other ghosts within this generation?

• Desukan, the mummy with its Dusknoir-like Defenses and the Steelix-like Speed.
  • Burunkeru, the last-generation-missing whater-ghost-jellyfish who could counter Infernape almost perfectly. Two great abilities with Water Absorb & Cursed Body.
  • Shanderaa, the wobbuffet-chandelier with Shadow Tag, amazing SpAtk and great supporting movepool.
  • Goruggo, nearly as powerful as Gyarados (124/125 Atk), accurate as Machamp (No Guard) & unique Ground/Ghost-typing.
How is Gengar going to compete with all those new ghosts? Tricking them obstacles in their ways? Relying on Revenge-Killing with Tyranitar & Scizor? Or a yet unknown way?

Gengar has the speed and the power to show them, who's the boss - so guide Gengar. :D

Levitate is a fantastic ability anyways, I seriously don't think it'd want anything else. And none of the new Ghost-types are immune to Ground, so that benefits him as well. His classic SubSplit set will probably be just as effective: Substitute, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Pain Split.

Gengar is still the fastest ghost around and with a 130 base special attack I don't think it's going anywhere. The poison type might actually help it more this generation by resisting x4 to bugs and fire back with HP Fire.

I don't see much changing for him. Levitate is a great ability, and he'd have a ground weakness without it anyway. Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Substitute will remain the staple, with the fourth move varying for coverage. Probably Pain Split.

Maybe Evil Eye would have some use on a team with Toxic Spikes where he's being used for spinblocking, but there spinblocking isn't his forte anyway, compared with some of the new ghosts. He'll maintain his niche since none of the other ghosts can fill a similar role.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
This Gen only introduced, like, 5 Pokemon that are faster than him. He is still a Great Pokemon to use. SubSplit still seems to work good, and LO Gengar can still clean-up teams fantastically.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Venom Shock is interesting, as Gengar gets STAB with it, and it can reach a potential 195 base power. Does that move only work on normal poison, toxic poison or both?

Other than that, Gengar shouldn't change much. No other Ghost can levitate or reach that base speed alone.

I notice that both Venom Shock and Evil Eye power up if his opponent if they're poisoned. On a team with Toxic Spikes these moves would be move powerful STAB options than Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb. I'm not sure how viable an offensive poison attack would really be, though.

Evil Eye and Venom Shock are too unreliable in my opinion. Not to mention that the 20% SpD drop from Shadow Ball is pretty useful to have and saved my hide on more than one occasion.

It would really take something serious to knock Gengar off his perch to be honest. He hasn't gained a lot this generation, but really - did he actually need it?

A solid choice in OU since Gen 1, I can't see that changing any time soon.

The only new ghosts to learn pain split are Shaandera and Burunkeru.
I think the speed is going to be a huge factor when comparing Gengar above, as well as the immunity to ground moves. People often forget how powerful that makes Gengar, as that allows him to switch in far more often and create so much momentum off that. Most of the new ghosts lack the speed that allows Gengar to be so threatening.
Also, being a fast ghost allows Gengar to actually outspeed rapid spinners such as Starmie or Doryzuu, if you can switch in on a spin.

(Off topic)
I like the niche the ground/ghost golem has, but I can never help comparing the power to Machamp's which is superior. Still, I think the ground/ghost has potential. And I don't even want to think about Shaandera, there is too much controversy about it at the moment, and I don't want to assume.

Gengar is still a beast and most definitely not outclassed with it's typing, ability, speed, and still very good SAtk. Gengar is a beast with multiple options, he didn't get many toys but he doesn't necessarily need them. I love Gengar, still a threat to this day. Crazy.

Base 110 speed is key. So many new Pokemon introduced with ~90 or ~100 speed and Gengar gets the jump on all of them (trolling the 108/109 bunch as well). It's still the fastest ghost so it's far from outclassed - in fact Gengar would be the one checking them. Only thing that makes me :( is how many Pokemon received Mold Breaker this generation, which means Gengar won't be able to switch so freely into Earthquakes anymore

Disable also looks like an option this generation.
Oh man ;). Substitute/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Disable Gengar... Imagine this Gengar with Toxic Spikes support ;). It would work quite similar to TormentTran. Of course bulk difference is huge, however it may force switches like hell. Also it could mean, that Tyranitar and Scizor couldn't use Choice sets, as Gengar with Substitute up safely wait behind it and just disable for example CB Bullet Punch ;). When opponent can't do anything, you just Sub again and wait for something else to Disable or just attack. Really annoying potential I see here ;).

Base 110 speed is key. So many new Pokemon introduced with ~90 or ~100 speed and Gengar gets the jump on all of them (trolling the 108/109 bunch as well). It's still the fastest ghost so it's far from outclassed - in fact Gengar would be the one checking them. Only thing that makes me :( is how many Pokemon received Mold Breaker this generation, which means Gengar won't be able to switch so freely into Earthquakes anymore
Exactly. Gengar has that speed, so valuable. I like the plethora of ideas you can do with it.

If Hypnosis really did get the up in accuracy again, that gives Gengar that little toy again reliably too.

Well, I can see some people will use Gengar with Toxic and Venom Shock (With Stab: 90BP)
May work with Pain Split in order to set up in the beginning and maybe Shadow Ball.

More like Toxic Spikes and Venom Shock. Gengar will die if it tries to Toxic someone.
It would really take something serious to knock Gengar off his perch to be honest. He hasn't gained a lot this generation, but really - did he actually need it?

A solid choice in OU since Gen 1, I can't see that changing any time soon.
Gengar sucked in Gen 1. It was weak to Earthquake and the best type in the game at the time, Psychic.

More like Toxic Spikes and Venom Shock. Gengar will die if it tries to Toxic someone.
Gengar sucked in Gen 1. It was weak to Earthquake and the best type in the game at the time, Psychic.
I wouldn't go so far as to say sucked. Boasting the game's only normal type immunity made it able to come in on things like Tauros and screw them over with the free switch-in on Body Slam and Hyper Beam, then threatening KOs back. It sure as hell wasn't dominant like it's been since ADV gen, since it was scared out by almost anything it couldn't KO or status, but Gengar wasn't sucky. Too high base Special and Speed.

I really do think that with the excessive amount of Fire and Fighting type attackers being added in Gen 5, Steels will go far down in use, opening up the window for Toxic Spikes support to enable Venom Shock as a viable STAB tactic. Something like Shadow Ball/Venom Shock/HP Fire (for those Scizor and Forretress), with Protect or Sub on the side to save Gengar from Priority and Pursuit. It's too early to say, but I will be keeping my eye on the meta and waiting for my chance to bring in STAB Poison attacks that no one will expect. XD

I really do think that with the excessive amount of Fire and Fighting type attackers being added in Gen 5, Steels will go far down in use, opening up the window for Toxic Spikes support to enable Venom Shock as a viable STAB tactic. Something like Shadow Ball/Venom Shock/HP Fire (for those Scizor and Forretress), with Protect or Sub on the side to save Gengar from Priority and Pursuit. It's too early to say, but I will be keeping my eye on the meta and waiting for my chance to bring in STAB Poison attacks that no one will expect. XD
With new Dragon type Pokemon like Kyuremu, Ononokusu, Sazando, Reshiram/Zekrom (remember, all Pokemon will be allowed at the start of Gen 5) and old goodies like Salamence, Garchomp, Palkia, Dialga, Rayquaza, etc... you really think that Steel types won't be used at all ? x_X And I'm sure as hell that their usage won't go down - it will go up, even skyrocket IMO.

I can't imagine this metagame without steel types, at least at the beginning. And Fire type attacks are fortunately easily resisted. Fire itself resist them, Rock and Water too and ironically Dragons (and few more), giving them another reason to use them.

And to be honest Venom Shock IMO is still unreliable at best. Opponent may just run pokemon, which absorbs Toxic Spikes, which may easily ruin this attack. And for second even with this power Poison type attacks are just poor with so many resists/immunities.

I can't imagine this metagame without steel types, at least at the beginning. And Fire type attacks are fortunately easily resisted. Fire itself resist them, Rock and Water too and ironically Dragons (and few more), giving them another reason to use them.
Exactly my thought. Steels won´t go down to nothing. But Gengar doesn´t have THAT much of a problem with them, anyways, since it can Focus Blast them to oblivion.

And to be honest Venom Shock IMO is still unreliable at best. Opponent may just run pokemon, which absorbs Toxic Spikes, which may easily ruin this attack. And for second even with this power Poison type attacks are just poor with so many resists/immunities.
If I remember correctly, we just have had Tentacruel and maybe Roserade for absorbing Toxic Spikes in Gen 4 OU, because other Poison types were... not suited for this kind of tier. I don´t remember any new viable Poison types being introduced in Gen V, so TSpikes could actually be useful. And the poison that has been inflicted stays, after all. Not disagreeing, your points are very valid, but I wouldn´t count these moves out just yet.

I think Evil Eye and possibly Venom Shock could definitely have its use on Gengar, because, if the power doubles, you suddenly have a monster with a 130 STAB move, a complementing high power Fighting type move and a secondary STAB, with just as much Base Power. Behind a sub with these stats that´s just scary.

Oh yeah, having Toxic Spikes, means Blissey can´t just switch in ruining your day.

Conclusion: With a little set up(TSpikes, reliably disposing of spinners and Toxic absorbers) we may have a new Gengar set.

Gengar@Life Orb/PetayaBerry
Timid
252SpAtk 252Spe 6HP
- Evil Eye
- Focus Blast
- Venom Shock/HP[Fire]
- Substitute

Pairs up well with Shanderaa and a PHazer. You just set up your Toxic Spikes once(with something bulky), wait for the absorber or spinner to come, switch Shanderaa in and dispose of it. Afterwards, set up again and spread the poison. Steel Types get eaten by HP[Fire] or Focus Blast.

As for the other ghosts: Gengar is fast and strong both, meaning it can punch through some of these(Shanderaa has scary SpAtk but doesn´t enjoy Shadow Balls, Desukan is more physical and has poor HP and his ability won´t help. Guroggu is slow and probably will rely on Fighting type moves such as Dynamic Punch) Altough, I didn´t calc any of these. If a ghost survives a hit from Gengar and hits back, it basically wins.

One of the reasons Gengar is so good is because it doesn't require any setup. It's so versatile it can usually come in on the back of its three imunities and wreak havoc on its own. Toxic Spikes is a great move, but if it has Evil Eye you actually have to have Spikes on the field first before Gengar becomes useful. Otherwise it does dismal damage.

A dedicated Toxic Spikes team might be good, but I like my Gengar self-sufficient thank you very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)