Sharpedo

#319 Sharpedo
Base Stats: HP 70 / 120 Atk / 40 Def / 95 SpA / 40SpD / 95 Spe
Abilities: Rough Skin, Speed Boost (Dream World)

Level Up Moves:
Lv1: Feint, Lv1: Leer, Lv1: Bite, Lv1: Rage, Lv1: Focus Energy, Lv6: Rage, Lv8: Focus Energy, Lv11: Scary Face, Lv16: Ice Fang, Lv18: Screech, Lv21: Swagger, Lv26: Assurance, Lv28: Crunch, Lv30: Slash, Lv34: Aqua Jet, Lv40: Taunt, Lv45: Agility, Lv50: Skull Bash, Lv56: Night Slash

Egg Moves:

Hydro Pump: Double-Edge: Thrash: AncientPower: Swift: Brine

TMs & HMs
TM05 - Roar, TM06 - Toxic, TM07 - Hail, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM12 - Taunt, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM32 - Double Team, TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM41 - Torment, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, TM55 - Boiling Water, TM66 - Payback, TM67 - Get Even, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, TM95 - Back Out, HM03 - Surf, HM04 - Strength, HM05 - Waterfall, HM06 - Dive

I'm new here so I apologise if there are any mistakes, but I thought Sharpedo deserved a mention. This gen Sharpedo gained a massive ability in Speed Boost which if you don't know raises speed + 1 stage each time. This can be incredibly useful for Sharpedo as now its above average attack stat can be used to its full potential and potentially cause some serious damage to a team.

Potential Moveset: Life Orb
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Speed Boost

Moves: Protect, Baton Pass, Night Slash, Waterfal

The idea of this set is to come on to a pokemon you resist, protect just in case it has a super effective move, then baton pass if needed so you can bring in a more suitable pokemon. If not, then use the appropriate move. Substitute is also a rather viable option but it possibly sacrifices an extra life orb'd attack.

Full EVs in Attack mean as much damage as possible before it dies and looking at the defences that doesn't seem much effort. Full HP investment means maximum life orb usage.

Provide feedback and other potential movesets and remember i'm new :D

His movepool really leaves something to be desired. I can see him as being one of the primary givers of Justice Heart boosts to Lucario as he can't do anything to Luc.

Rugged Helmet actually gives him a reason to use Rough Skin, though with his defensive stats its nothing to brag about, however it can allow him to effectively kill threats it couldn't before, those who relied on contact damage. The idea would be to come in earlier than normal, aqua jet, and have Rough Skin+Rugged Helmet give him the additional damage.

Here is a silly gimicky set for you:
Sharpedo@Rugged Helmet
Rough Skin
Hasty
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 special attack
Aqua Jet
Endure
Taunt
Brine

Not a good set by any means lol, but gimmicks are gimmicks. Still, with Endure, you are guaranteeing yourself 50 percent damage off of Rough Rugged.

What merits does assurance have along-side night slash?

Wouldn't Earthquake, Crunch/Night Slash, Protect, Waterfall be more beneficial, as well as concentrating 92 of the nearly pointless HP EV's to Speed so it can outspeed base 120's like sceptile and Zam? I wouldn't concentrate them all into HP, even with speed boost, its only coming off a base 95 speed, which without any EV's really is pretty slow. After this, I'd throw the rest into HP.

Speed Boost won't save its frail ass from getting wrecked by priority. I'd have much rather seen it get Sucker Punch (seriously, why did he miss out on this gem?)

Also Life Orb saps a percentage of your health, so max HP does nothing. If you're planning on using Protect to guarantee a speed boost, I'd say invest more heavily in his attacking stats and go mixed sweeper.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Lonely | Speed Boost
EVs: 252 ATK / 126 SPATK / 132 SPD
~Protect
~Waterfall/Surf
~Crunch/Dark Pulse
~Earthquake/Ice Beam

Protect is the only static move on this set as everything else is variable depending on what it is you want to hit. 132 speed lets you protect one turn 1 to get your boost in and outspeed every 120 with boosting nature. You can play with the speed to hit other benchmarks if you so please. Max attack so he can hit as hard as possible with his highest stat. Rest goes into SPATK.

[Edit] Forgot to mention: Lonely nature is so stuff with download gets an attack boost instead of special attack.

I am interested to see how this will affect the lower tiers. Sharpedo is considered fairly dangerous in there. Priority will still be a problem, although I see substitute helping that.

I was honestly expecting Swift Swim from this guy but speed boost is a nice surprise! Whether it'll be running Mixed, or Physical I can see it making a bigger impact especially with Life Orb at hand and it'll be using Waterfall more often than Aqua Jet.

Also, Baton pass? Unpossible much?

Full EVs in Attack mean as much damage as possible before it dies and looking at the defences that doesn't seem much effort. Full HP investment means maximum life orb usage.
Life Orb is based on percentage of health, so investing this much is still going to make it 10 uses. There are "life orb numbers" which can allow 11 uses of life orb.(basically anything not dividable by 10)
Youre better off going with a certain number of speed EVs to outspeed certain threats after +1/+2

This might bring it up a Tier? I say the massive attack can destory a Pokemon. 252 ATK and Speed?

And really This can learn Baton Pass? LOL

I like the Rugged Helm idea better haha.

Rugged Helm will only scratch Sharpedo's opponent as it destroys him.

With Sharpedo's good Speed and Sunkern-ish Defenses, Substitute is indubitably it's best option.

I just realized that he can't learn Swords Dance. Weak. If he could boost, from behind a sub he'd actually be a threat.

His movepool really leaves something to be desired. I can see him as being one of the primary givers of Justice Heart boosts to Lucario as he can't do anything to Luc.
Waterfall can't do anything to Luke? I think you are mistaken sir. Luke switches into a face-full of Waterfall and the only stopping a OHKO is a Sash. Water is generally a better STAB to stick too anyways.

and OP Crunch is a far better STAB Dark move then Night Slash. Def drop and Flinch are much more useful then high crit ratio (and the BP is higher!).

No your best bet with the new and improved Sharpedo is;

Seeker Torpedo!!
Adamant Sharpedo @ Liechi
Speed Boost
~ Substitute
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp

Sharpedo can't switch into much without dying, so it's best not to try. Thanks to all that loverly Spe Sharpedo is getting from Speed Boost people are going to be looking for (Protect / Speed Boost) and are going to switch on you to counter. Hide behind your Sub and pick your passion! Sub more and get a Liechi boost, or fire off attacks with a nice 120 attack and near perfect the Water-Dark-Normal combo (resisted by Nuttre).

And Empoleon. EQ is a better choice than Return. Water-Dark-Ground is resisted only by Levitating Crawdaunt and Breloom.

Crunch flinches? I thought that was Bite.

It should flinch, but I don't think it does.

And Empoleon. EQ is a better choice than Return. Water-Dark-Ground is resisted only by Levitating Crawdaunt and Breloom.

Crunch flinches? I thought that was Bite.

It should flinch, but I don't think it does.
oh, you're right about crunch, my mistake.

Somhow Empoleon is the one pokemon I always forget.

Wow, this looks awesome. I'mma just compare Sharpedo to Yanmega to show you how badass he is.

> Yanmega gets 116 SpA, Sharpedo gets 120 Atk.
> Yanmega has the same base speed as Sharpedo.
> Sharpedo has the option of going mixed with Surf / Hydro Pump for physical walls.
> Sharpedo is neutral to Stealth Rock, whilst Yanmega is four times weak.
> Water / Dark is much better offensive typing than Bug / Flying.
> Yanmega has to run a Hidden Power just for Heatran, Sharpedo is fine without.

Christ, by this logic then Sharpedo will be at least BL, depending on power creep. Shame it can't take a hit, though. Here's an anti-lead set that might be worthwhile.

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash
Speed Boost, Lonely Nature
252 Atk, 104 SpA, 152 Speed

~ Protect
~ Waterfall / Surf
~ Crunch / Taunt
~ Earthquake / Taunt

I'm not too sure on the specifics. Protect for scouting and blocking Fake Out. Waterfall and Crunch for physical STAB, although Surf deals more damage to physical walls, such as Hippowdon, Skarmory and Forretress, who might be tempted to lead. Earthquake for SE hits on Steel types, like Metagross and Jirachi. Taunt is also definitely worth trying out, since you outspeed everyone after a Protect. The EVs let you outspeed 252 +Speed Base 130s after a single boost, which is more than enough, with the rest being split between offenses. If you aren't using Surf, then run 104 HP EVs and laugh if you survive a hit.

If you're feeling particularly ballsy, you can just go with four attacks and a life orb:

speed boost @ life orb
naughty/lonely - 252 atk, 148 spe, 108 spatk
- waterfall/aqua jet
- crunch
- earthquake
- hydro pump

The idea is to look for an opportunity to revenge kill something or force your opponent out. 148 speed lets you outrun +speed base 130s after one speed boost. And let's face it: if Sharpedo doesn't outspeed it, it's going to knock him out. Waterfall and crunch are for powerful STAB attacks, though aqua jet can help you deal with priority users or really fast choice scarfers. Earthquake for additional coverage, and hydro pump to blast through physical walls. It would make a pretty damn threatening cleaner, in any environment. Though I guess you'd need ice on there somewhere to deal with Sazando if you use this in whatever the hell become the OU metagame of gen v.

A lead Sharpedo would be nice, with Speed Boost. However, priority still owns it if its used mid-game because its defense are still crap. Otherwise, its a nice addition.

This thing has the potential to be the best Speed-Boostken counter in the game. For that reason alone it should go up in the tier system. Especially with 120 BP Hydro Pump from a 95 base Sp. Attack stat and STAB isn't too shabby either.

this thing deserves to shine, speed boost gives it a huge edge.

Choice Band aqua jet does a number on a surprising amount of things from that sky high attack stat.

This is a big deal. Why isn't anyone hyping this up? =Þ

I'd still opt for the standard MixPedo set, Speed Boost definitely doesn't hinder its sweeping potential as it was such a threat in the lower tiers Speed Boost can only bring a higher advantage to Sharpedo.

"The Pope"
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Speed Boost
Naughty Nature
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Crunch
Hydro Pump
Earthquake
Ice Beam

Or the even scarier;

"The Pope"
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Speed Boost
252 Atk/176 Spd/ 80 SAtk
Lonely nature
Waterfall
Hidden Power [Grass]
Crunch
Hydro Pump

Kill something, gain a boost and kill something else. Rinse and repeat. With 176 Spe you can outspeed Scarf Medicham, who occasionally interrupt Sharpedo during his sweep up.

I sure hope they release this guy in the dream world, Speed Boost is something he seriously needed. Rough Skin sucks, and his speed is, alright, but not quite there as there are still pokemon faster without priority. Speed Boost makes up for this at least.

You could run a bulkier spread, sacrificing speed to allow him to survive priorities he resists, like aqua jet, ice shard, shadow sneak, bullet punch and sucker punch(the last one being very unlikely, but still it's worth looking into), with speed boost, the sacrificed speed will be made up for.

Or the mixed set Wynought posted, but then with a nature that reduces Special Defense since the only special priority is Vacuum Wave which he won't survive anyway. He might survive priority from weaker users like Dusknoir.

I've used Sharpedo for years, and I can't understand the lack of hype about him. Granted his defenses are something not even Spinda would want, but as long as you do some proper scouting he can absolutely wreck the opponents team. In fact, the only problem I've ever had with him was his low speed, which this generation fixed in a marvelous way.

Also, his defenses suck, but he CAN survive a BP from CB Scizor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)