Serperior

It would have significantly overpowered the other two starters if they had made Jaroda Grass/Dragon. Emboar's killed by DM if it switches into it, while Daikenki is lolLeaf Stormed. I can see why they kept it pure.
True. It's only logical that the Grass typing would be pure. I'm GLAD if didn't get Grass/Dragon. That'd just be another promising OU contender with a x4 weakness to Ice. It also has no limbs. What Dragon-type STAB would it get? Draco Meteor and Dragon Tail? One phazes, and the other is pretyy...Meh, unless Perversity is on it. No Dragonbreath, Claw, Outrage, etc.

Plus, Daikenki could 0HKO Jaroda with one Ice Beam in that case, as long as Dual Screens weren't put up. Doesn't really seem that impressive to me...

This thing is, quite honestly, freaking me out.

I'm not really that experienced at competitive battling, but I thought of something. If Dream World abilities can be inherited, then I'm thinking of a Speed Boost Blaziken with Substitute, Baton Pass, Hi Jump Kick (to kill predictors) and something else. Come on on something that it threatens, sub up on the switch, BP, and then you have a Jaroda with hopefully a substitute in play for a free +2 boost and a speed boost to go with it.

True. It's only logical that the Grass typing would be pure. I'm GLAD if didn't get Grass/Dragon. That'd just be another promising OU contender with a x4 weakness to Ice. It also has no limbs. What Dragon-type STAB would it get? Draco Meteor and Dragon Tail? One phazes, and the other is pretyy...Meh, unless Perversity is on it. No Dragonbreath, Claw, Outrage, etc.

Plus, Daikenki could 0HKO Jaroda with one Ice Beam in that case, as long as Dual Screens weren't put up. Doesn't really seem that impressive to me...
Draco Meteor would not be "Meh" if Jaroda was part Dragon with Perversity. Not at all. o_O

And I doubt Daikenki would survive a STAB Leaf Storm that would only be stronger after one turn of use. Jaroda is quicker with a below average Special Attack, but Daikenki's Sp. Defense is horrid.

Does anyone else want to run the Leaf Storm/Pervesity set with sub and Dragon Tail? Giving you:
Leftovers
Hasty
4 Atk/ 252 SA/ 252 Spe
Substitute
Dragontail
Leafstorm
Hp Fire/Ice

Ice for all this gen's dragons but I'm not sure that it is necessary when you can force them out with dragon tail

Considering Dragon Tail has negative priority, HP Ice could have some uses against Dragon Types with the possibility of OHKOing after enough Leaf Storms. HP Fire might have some real good use too with all of the Bug/Steels roaming around nowadays.

Assuming you force the switch then sub Jaroda is clearly at an advantage being able to freely chose what to do and force your opponent to react to you again. Though with more multi hit moves actually becoming useful I wonder if a sub will do you as much good anymore.

Assuming you force the switch then sub Jaroda is clearly at an advantage being able to freely chose what to do and force your opponent to react to you again. Though with more multi hit moves actually becoming useful I wonder if a sub will do you as much good anymore.
This post isn't really saying anything we don't already know about every single subbed mon ever but it did help me realize that in the situation where Jaroda has a Sub up, and carries Dragon Tail, it can hit and force out Dragons faster than it while also making U-turn Scizor double switch. how much damage does Jaroda HP Fire do anyway brb with calcs
Jaroda Modest HP Fire vs 248 HP EV Scizor - 81.6% - 96.8%

This thing is, quite honestly, freaking me out.

I'm not really that experienced at competitive battling, but I thought of something. If Dream World abilities can be inherited, then I'm thinking of a Speed Boost Blaziken with Substitute, Baton Pass, Hi Jump Kick (to kill predictors) and something else. Come on on something that it threatens, sub up on the switch, BP, and then you have a Jaroda with hopefully a substitute in play for a free +2 boost and a speed boost to go with it.
Wouldn't his speed go down if you had Perversity? this all depends on whether Baton Passed Stats are reversed too.

Wouldn't his speed go down if you had Perversity? this all depends on whether Baton Passed Stats are reversed too.
Contrarion/Perversity is not like Simple in that it states the normal change in stats and counts it as something else. The ability just turns stat losses into actual stat ups and vice versa. So after Leaf Storm it says "Jaroda's Sp.Atk sharply rose!" instead of sharply fell. Baton Passing boosts to it works fine.

Seems to me like HP Fire is the best coverage move.

Thoughts on:

Jaroda @ Leftovers
Timid, not sure on EV's
~ Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Leaf Storm
~ HP Fire

Let's face it, this thing has a terrible special movepool, so why even bother with Specs? Leaf Storm + HP leaves 2 moveslots open, so just stick Sub-Seed on there too.

I give a massive THUMBS UP to Smugleaf's evo getting a stat reversal ability. Plus the respectable defense and speed to me just makes it awesome. So now we know why it was a speedy tank :3 even if we didn't see the dreamworld ability til after we should have seen this coming -is noting how much of a grass starter fan-tard he is-

And from what I've been hearing you CAN pass on Dream World abilities... OU GRASS STARTER AWAY!! And thumbs up for the Mega Ultra Chicken!

had this thing come in 4th gen it is a sure fire OU
seriously 113 base speed is beastly it outspeed gengar for god sake!!!!

never forget that if Jaroda is Dragon it will OHKO everything after 3 turn of set-up
(does he even set up ? lol) then give him HP Water for Perfect Coverage.
its a sure monster that force the metagame to use things like starmie andscarf overcentralizing it so much and might finally hit uber after weavile become popular again in other words creating some kind of garchomp OU metagame.

I don't know if Jaroda is OU or not.

It seriously lacks a a attacking movepool other than Contrarian Leaf Storm (probably the most broken attacking "move" ever made until now regardless of it's lackluster typing. It's Seed Flare on steroids, and Seed Flare is already one of the best moves out there. My opinion. And i know, what makes Leaf Storm so good is the ability, not the move itself but whatever).

I think can see that Sub Seed + 2 attacks is the best Jaroda can have. It can annoy the hell out of anything while still posing a threat due to Leaf Storm.

Hey cant +2 twister Ohko some prominent dragon ? then HP water Twister Leaf Storm could work
Reserve 1 slot for taunt ?(wish he gets pain split lol_

Jaroda @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrarian
Nature: Bold/Calm/Timid [You guys are using Special movepools, not Physical. Also, Timid raises its already high Speed to continue outspeeding things]
EV Spread: 255 HP, and 255 of the Defensive stat desired. Or maybe 255 in both SpDef and Defense, esp.
Moveset:
1. Leaf Storm (Grass)
2. Hidden Power Fire / Taunt (Dark)
3. Dragon Tail (Dragon) / Substitute (Normal)
4. Glare (Normal) / Leech Seed (Grass)

1. Leaf Storm is obvious so it gets a pseudo-Nasty Plot while Contrarian takes effect.

2a. HP Fire kills the Nattorei and all the Bug/Steel types, assuming that keeping Jaroda in to them is a good idea.

2b. For a Lead, Taunt is purposeful in preventing stat-increasements and Stealth Rock. When you need to switch to something else, that Taunt will still be in effect.

3a. Dragon Tail forces switchouts. Jaroda will be faster than most could hope to dream of in UU, so Dragon Tail would work as a Roar with [weak-to-nothing-except-Steel] damage.

3b. Substitute as part one of SubSeeding combo.

4a. Paralysis is serious business.

4b. Leech Seed as part two of SubSeeding combo.

Eh, this is my two cents on a REALLY good Pokemon.

I kinda want to try out Sub-seed with Leaf Storm and Dragon Tail. Keep Seeding and stalling to weaken the opposing team, and when they're battered, kill one with Leaf Storm. Repeat for the next Pokemon the opponent sends out, except this time, you can ko even sooner. Keep doing this, and, in theory, you'll end up with + 6 Sp. Att with 5 pp lefts of Leaf Storm and 3 opponents dead. Dragon Tail is used mostly to phaze Skarmory, Heatran and the other annoying stuff before they phaze you.

If you send it in once its counters are dead, it's pretty much a guaranteed win. The problem is, it just has too many counters, so it's hard to find an ideal time to send it in.

I definitely dont see this guy getting past UU. but its still a very interesting Pokemon regardless. Theres a good amount of options for it to run with, making it a mystery on the field.. before it might be too late for the opponent.

It's so funny. As soon as this poke came out, so many peopleimmediately dismissed it. Now, even before his amazing special, everybody loves it.

What difference a little research will do.

I think I'll definetly be using this in ou, I'll be using this to play a more supportive role however.

Support Jaroda @Leftovers
252 HP/ 236 Spe/ 20 Def
Timid
-Leech Seed
-GigaDrain/LeafStorm
-Toxic
-filler

I'm really exited for this poke as it's essentially roserade with better defenses, and more support moves. Synthesis, Light Screen, Reflect. If only Glare had better accuracy.

Ok, so I'd definitely pair this thing with at least one of Magnezone/Magneton/Shandeera, perhaps even two, to pick off the steel types. Once you got rid of opposing Steels, you achieve a pretty good coverage with Leaf Storm/Wring Out (afaik only hitting Gengar and Shandeera for less than neutral damage). Sadly, you fail to OHKO Salamence even at +2 SpAtk...

He's interesting, but his coverage is TERRIBLE! If he had Sceptile's movepool, andall-out sweeping set would be amazing on this guy, but no, it just couldn't be. Imagine Sub/Leaf Storm/Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast... It would tear teams apart after a Leaf Storm or 2. I do love the support sets though. Dual Screen setup would be fantastic on this guy, along with the Torment SubSeed set...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)