Halo: Reach - Product Review and Discussion

So here we have what is likely to be the biggest selling game of 2010. While there are several other franchises still releasing in the coming months, none of them can match the fanbase, hype, and delivery of the Halo series. The game itself was released in 3 separate editions: Standard, Limited, and Legendary. It was also released alongside a Special Edition Xbox 360. I grabbed both the Legendary Edition of the game and the console. Let me start off by saying I'm reviewing the content of these two Halo: Reach products. This does not include a review of the game itself. I will give impressions, but more than likely will not produce a formal review (there's tons out there, and reviewing gameplay is tasking). If you're not interested in the product review, feel free to skip to the last section. You're more than welcome to use this topic to discuss gameplay.

Legendary Edition:

I'm a sucker for collector's items but even collectors had reason to be skeptical of this product. A few years ago, Halo 3 had a Legendary Edition of its own. It came with the game, some bonus DVDs (one including every cinematic from Halo 1 and 2), a "full-size" replica of Master Chief's helmet (for display only). While it was definitely cool, people scoffed at the price, calling the helmet a piece of "cheap plastic." Halo: Reach boasts quite a bit more in the box: "individually molded, hand-painted" statue of Noble Team, documents from a character present in the game, a few exclusive armors, and some ridiculously wicked packaging which was collector's item in itself. The question lingers; does it warrant the price tag?

The Case

This thing is huge. I measured it to be 14" tall, and 15" x 13" wide. Luckily though, it has a handle attached to the top of it to make it a lot easier to manage. The packaging itself is designed after UNSC packaging and looks great. It's thick and tough, so it can easily handle things being placed on top of it. They even went as far as to put custom printing on the sticker on each side of the box (I felt bad cutting through it). When you open it, you see just how sturdy they designed it to be.

The first picture also gives a good view of the packaging thickness I mentioned. The statue fits in the left half, then the right side slides down on top of it (followed by the lid). The container has tough foam to prevent any damage to the statue. The bundle all together could likely take quite a bit of abuse and come out just fine. The second picture shows the case the game comes in on the left and a flavorful note in the imprint next to it. The note itself has a light insignia present, and also has some notary notes on the back. When you take out the game case, you get this.

So you remove the black case, and then pull a handle on the top of it to slide the contents out. Again, the packaging on this is rather thick, not prone to bending or damage. When you get the contents out, the game sits snugly in there in a black case, as opposed to the standard green package seen on Xbox 360 games. The Halo 3 Legendary Edition also had its game in a black case, so it gives the standalone game case a sense of value as well. If you remove the game and the small bad its in, you find a black bubble package with a UNSC label on it. Inside is the diary of a character within Reach and provides more background to the Halo universe and events in the game.

So the packaging alone is very impressive, a collector's item in itself as I mentioned. But a package isn't enough to charge this much for a game, and that brings me to the hype of this edition.

The Statue*
*some assembly required

There was a lot of hype mixed with skepticism concerning the statue. It was quite evident there would be a lot of quality and detail but concerns still lingered because of the Helmet included in Halo 3. Here's what the statue looks like out of the box:

=Statue]

As you can see, there's some missing pieces. I originally thought I got a defective product but figured that it was very unlikely that I was missing 3 guns and 2 hands. After checking the box, I found the pieces. They hadn't fallen off; they were meant to be placed on after opening it. This made me pretty worried, as none of the pieces were easy to attach and I was paranoid I'd break it in some manner (there's not much room to maneuver). I did manage to get them on eventually. This whole experience provided a new perspective to the statue though. It really started to feel like 5 action figures glued to a base. On the other hand though, the figures are extremely detailed. It certainly didn't feel cheap, but at the same time it didn't seem as valuable as they made it out to be. All in all though, it looks fantastic.

Misc

On top the above items, the game also includes an exclusive Flaming Helmet armor effect. The biggest draw to this is that it was exclusive to Bungie employees during Halo 3 and now you can really stand out against other players. Cooler still is that Halo Reach lets you use your custom Spartan in all modes, including campaign, so it would have use outside of Matchmaking. The bummer is that the effect doesn't take effect during cut-scenes, and since the game largely takes place in first person, you often forget you even have it until you hop in a vehicle. Along with the Flaming Helmet, there is a code for a special Elite Armor design (this is also present with the Limited Edition and console bundle though) and a code for a recon helmet (given to all day 1 buyers, but this is in the package thus available if purchased afterwards).

Verdict: So, is it worth the money? Yes. Is it worth actually getting? I'm going to say yes to that as well, but obviously not for the everyday gamer. The statue isn't all it was hyped to be but still looks fantastic, and I don't think I've mentioned how awesome the packaging is enough. The flaming helmet is certainly sweet but has hardly any impact. This product is very clearly aimed at collectors and Halo fans, and neither will be unsatisfied by purchasing this.

So back at E3 Microsoft announced a remodeled Xbox 360 with built in wireless and internal storage, among other things. This bundle comes with the newest model Xbox 360, 2 controllers, and a wired headset, all with custom case designs related to Halo Reach.

This was just to compare the new power bricker versus the old.

So is this worth getting? Most definitely. If you've been looking into buying for the first time or upgrading to the new model, this is a fantastic incentive to make the move. The design is gorgeous, it includes a second controller that regular consoles lack, and has the game included in the price. The bundle comes with codes for the Limited Edition Elite armor, the Day 1 Recon helmet, and an episode of Halo Legends via Zune. There's really not much else to comment on besides the value because it does nothing more than any other 360. Definitely worth the purchase unless you're absolutely content with your current 360 to or already own the new model.

Like I said I won't be reviewing this, but I do have a few impressions. The one thing that baffles me about this game is the sheer amount of game modes, I can't imagine ever touching them all myself. I really like the new loadout mechanics. Armor abilities add a ton of variety to gameplay, not just in Matchmaking but also in Firefight (and Campaign to an extent). I just wish Campaign would let you select what ability you want at the beginning of each level. Firefight is as awesome as I thought it would be and then some; Armor Lock is so ridiculously useful after the Catch skull activates. Some of the maps don't sit too kindly with me but they'll probably grow on me. I dislike wraith mechanics. I find myself jumping on them, having to press the grenade button 2 or 3 times before it'll register, and then delay on dismounting which hurts. I never had that problem in ODST. I haven't gotten to play much matchmaking to test out the preference-based searches but I think that'll make online play so much funner. I'm looking forward to it.

Sorry if this last bit was run together, I'm sick of typing and wanted to be done. Discuss, and if you want to talk Campaign please include spoiler tags.

Finished the game a few days back and gosh was it amazing, I cant really say much without spoiling but like most people think this won't surpass Halo 3..their wrong. Only draw back is that my xbox is chipped so i didn't get the cool case with the gamelol.

Personally I've never been much of a fan of paying extra for a bit more stuff in the game box, imo games are overpriced at it is, but damn, if anything was gonna persuade me otherwise it would be that. It looks awesome. I ended up just getting the normal box though.

Amazing. It surpassed the rest of the games just because there were no Flood lol. Though I was very upset that they brought the Brutes back, I hate those gimps. Elites need more love. I was also upset that there wasn't a Master Chief cameo in there somewhere, maybe having his cryo chamber open (from the start of Halo 1) right after the last bit.

One other thing that put me off, Halo still doesn't feel finished. Reach was a great game, I'll say that, but I still think after the rushed ending from Halo 3 and the generally crappy (imo) Halo 3: ODST, there should definitely be another. Though I assume there won't be. Gotta ask how Bungie are gonna fill those enormous plot holes though :s

Tory

Banned deucer.
I was wondering when someone was going to make this thread. Xbox Live this winter, I will be on a rampage! I seen some youtube videos of the Halo Reach multiplayer, I believe the multiplayer will be more fun than Call of Duty: Moden Warfare 2. Has anyone heard the rumor about a human version of a Carbine Rifle?

I'm sorry, but game of the year for me is:
Gran Turismo 5

Got the Game yesterday, about 1.5 hours into the campaign, its great so far, and the multi-player is great, much better then halo 3 imo. Also the maps are fucking amazing, and I know as soon as I get into forge i'm going to get lost in this game. If you have an Xbox and like shooters, I say get this game.

Haven't actually played it, I'll leave my comments to this:

The ending is nearly perfect (and the actual ending with Noble Six wants me to shed some man tears). Like someone said above, the ending would be absolutely perfect if they showed Master Cheif's cryo-chamber opening up. That would be a new level of awesome-ness.

I also can't wait for the soundtrack. I'm glad they took a different approach from the music compared to the last games (which were similar in sound). This is probably good for dramatic effect as well, considering we're not playing as Chief and the "epicness" (scale, not the internet version) of the battle and the implications.

multilayer wise it is a good game, grenades can be a bit frustrating but are not so bad. I really like swat because it is easy for me to get headshots ( i can normally get 20+ kills a game). I havent done to much in the campaign but from what i have seen it is good as well.

I haven't touched Campaign much to post about that, and I'll give more in depth matchmaking experiences later, but for the most part its fun and balanced. Seriously though, fuck Swat. I will quit those games with hesitation or remorse. Complete bullshit. Now this post'll focus more on my favorite mode.

Firefight:

What. the. @#$%? Firefight matchmaking sucks. Games default to Heroic difficulty, with catch and tough luck on, and you can't change this. You have unlimited lives, and the game only lasts one round. Seriously? That is not what firefight is about. It's annoying as hell because of the difficulty but at the same time you don't give a hoot if you die because it doesn't negatively impact the team. The whole matchmaking thing is completely pointless... I realize not everyone wants to play for hours (should it last that long) but it's firefight ffs, it happens. If nothing else, allow for filtered lobby searches. Or just search for party members in a regular, customizable lobby, rather than making it play similar to Versus and having everybody vote on a mode

"Regular" local firefight only lasts one set too, but you have the option to set it to "Classic" firefight, which makes it unlimited. It kind of sucks that they made the standard some nerfed bologna. I'm not digging the maps so much either, they're way to broad. In ODST the maps had a general direction to defend against, and while it made games somewhat easy in earlier rounds, it wasn't easy by any means later. Now, they start hitting you from all directions right away, making surviving until more difficult rounds less likely =/ Hate what they did with Firefight as a whole. It still kicks ass, but I had a lot higher expectations for it.

I haven't touched Campaign much to post about that, and I'll give more in depth matchmaking experiences later, but for the most part its fun and balanced. Seriously though, fuck Swat. I will quit those games with hesitation or remorse. Complete bullshit. Now this post'll focus more on my favorite mode.

Firefight:

What. the. @#$%? Firefight matchmaking sucks. Games default to Heroic difficulty, with catch and tough luck on, and you can't change this. You have unlimited lives, and the game only lasts one set. Seriously? That is not what firefight is about. It's annoying as hell because of the difficulty but at the same time you don't give a hoot if you die because it doesn't negatively impact the team. The whole matchmaking thing is completely pointless... I realize not everyone wants to play for hours (should it last that long) but it's firefight ffs, it happens. If nothing else, allow for filtered lobby searches. Or just search for party members, rather than making it play similar to Versus.

"Regular" local firefight only lasts one set too, but you have the option to set it to "Classic" firefight, which makes it unlimited. It kind of sucks that they made the standard some nerfed bologna. I'm not digging the maps so much either, they're way to broad. In ODST the maps had a general direction to defend against, and while it made games somewhat easy in earlier rounds, it wasn't easy by any means later. Now, they start hitting you from all directions right away, making surviving until more difficult rounds less likely =/ Hate what they did with Firefight as a whole. It still kicks ass, but I had a lot higher expectations for it.
Agreed man, But campaign definitely was 10/10 for me.

Campaign mode for me felt similar to Gears Of War (first one) in that it was really good gameplay...but let down by the fact it was FARRRR too short.

I saw the credits rolling and was like 'is this a fucking joke????' then another level began so I breathed a sigh of relief!! Only to get shot down again with more credits...and having to die.

I was a sad panda when I didn't have to fight any scarabs or any other giant THING for that matter :(:(:(

I just don't see myself wanting to play through campaign again as I did with Halo 3 a billion times.

Haven't played on Live yet.

I'm really liking this so far. I've already started Legendary because I want to get it out of the way. >_> Quite frankly, it's really hard. Even grunts are a force to be reckoned with, plus the diverse enemies can make finding the right weapon for the job hard.

It seems like all the normal enemies have been buffed, some of the more higher ranked grunts seem to be able to take 2 headshots with the Magnum, which greatly disconcerts me. Jackals can be a pain in the ass in any encounter, as they seem to have a plasma resistance and you pretty much NEED a human weapon for them.

Elites require excellent grenade skills or a heavy weapon pretty much, as the DMR or Pistol require a full clip to kill or drop shields. Very hard, but very fun to take down. Hunters too are powerful - meatier and smarter. They track your path a lot better and hold up their shields when they're being shot at, which makes teammates invaluable as distractions to expose their backs.

I'm at the 4th level and I'm already having a hard time juggling all these weapons, especially when the weapons run out of juice so quickly. :/

Multiplayer thus far has been really fun, the DMR is a sexy beast. Armor lock is one of my favorite things ever right now, because whenever I land smack dab into a game of complete noobcakes, their kneejerk reaction in ANY encounter is to chuck a frag. They don't bother with the GUN in their HANDS, they'd rather throw and pray. Then I just armor lock, and outgun him with the Magnum. Mmmmmhmmmm.

On the topic of the Magnum, it's finally not a peashooter anymore. It's back to the Halo 1 power for sure, but the clip size is annoying. :< I wish there was at least 1 more shot - not that it matters, I still frequently outgun AR users.

Only 9 maps made me raise an eyebrow, but the practically unlimited variants that Forge World allows can satiate me. I actually spent 4 hours Forging today - and as one who spent a lot of time Forging in the clunky, unintuitive Halo 3 system, this one is far and away better. Rotation snap, nudging, seamless object phasing, it's all brilliance. Even if I eventually get bored of armor locking punks all day, Forge will keep me going for a good while. :)

I hope this time on live they allow bigger teams to be made for more fun, also hope they let us use the jet packs on live would be badass. Forge on halo 3 was funny, me and my friends use to use grenades to make the big box move and call it 'playing football' by making the box touch either end of the map.

Not as good as Halo 3.
Which wasn't as good as Combat Evolved.
Which wasn't as good as Halo.

I liked the campaign alot actually. It's refreshing to see such an enthralling story in the Halo series, considering how ODST and Halo 3 kind of dropped the ball on that one.

As far as the multiplayer, it's basically everything you know from ODST....which is everything you know from Halo 3....
No gigantor changes quite honestly, I'm essentially playing Halo 3 with graphics for THIS generation.
Shame, really. I don't think the multiplayer added enough new content to justify buying this game for $60.

The campaign was excellent, abeilt at little depressing. The online is crazy good. Me and my IRL buds are playing arena finally and we've been playing like the online team I've always dreamt of. I just wish armor lock was more useful. Maybe I just suck with it, who knows.

As already stated, the best use for Armor Lock is to avoid damage from incoming grenades - and when the average Halo Reach player throws out more grenades than bullets, AL can quickly become your best friend. Plus, it has a few other niche uses; often I've entered Armor Lock when I'm in an impossible situation (I have low health zilch shields against a full health enemy) and a teammate comes along and snuffs out my aggressor.

Way more fun + less generic than Sprint, more useful than Jetpack, and less useless than Active Camo + Hologram.

I beat the Campaign a few days ago, loved it to the very end, though it started off way too dry for my liking. I'm trying to get through on Legendary solo and its kicking my ass. I'm about 2/3 through Exodus right now but I've had some ridiculous luck in my previous missions. I never had this much trouble in ODST, Elites are so much tougher than brutes ._. I'll bring up specific story related things later.

I love the multiplayer. I rarely ever feel robbed when I'm killed, nothing is overpowering. I'm glad the AR actually has some use beyond weakening the opponent down enough to melee them. DMR has just the right amount of recoil, but in close-to-mid range battles the luck of the reticle can make a difference. I hate how long it takes the pistol to zero back in, even in midrange battles its hard to get consecutive headshots when the reticle expands quickly and contracts slowly.

Armor Lock is my favorite ability, especially when I actually have cooperative teammates (ie not my friends -.-). It's not as immediately useful in Rumble Pit but can be for 3-way brawls where you can wait it out to kill the leftovers (or both if you're quick enough). It can also be useful for straight up melee fights, since hitting them then activate immediately, you can avoid their hit and usually kill them untouched. I've had some funny AL vs AL scenarios too..

Sprint may be generic but there's no denying it's perks. Getting around the map in a timely fashion is great and helps build kills quickly, it makes assassinations a whole lot easier (I love assassinations...), and when attempting a double melee, it catches the douchebags that back away after the first hit.

Jetpack is situational, I've seen it used to great extent but also seen it do nothing spectacular for a person. But on Slayer DMR it's just harassing since they can get to otherwise unreachable places to hit you from. Active Camo just isn't effective enough imho, but maybe I'm just impatient? I've seen it used really well with Sword/Shotgun but I can't get it to work. Hologram isn't any good but fun for trolling.

I find myself doing Rumble Pit a lot more than Team Slayer, even with friends in my party. It's like local games with a few randoms to make the game feel full. Plus, I like the variety of game modes (and no SWAT!). I hate when I find some guys trying to collaborate on Rumble Pit though. None of my friends like Invasion, so I haven't gotten to try it out that much but I have no beef with it. Invasion Slayer is useless though..

I think it needs repeated just how much I hate what Firefight is in this game :(

Plus, I like the variety of game modes (and no SWAT!).
SWAT is major overrated. When I first started it I was like "Ooh this is sorta like MW2, good stuff."

Now I'm like "Urgh this is like MW2...".

The fact that you die so fast means people use it as an excuse to sit in 1 corner for the entire match, exactly like on MW2, nobody dares move in case they get killed. I know the answer would appear to be "you sit in a corner as well", but that really isn't what Halo's ever been about imo.

Ah well, the rest of the matchmaking modes are all great imo.

I'm Quite disappointed with the maps on XBL play in Halo reach most look the same and so far I haven't been able to use any vehicles. Maybe I haven't played on all of them yet? or maybe Bungie decided not to add it this time around thinking the jet packs would replace them.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just finished the game last night and I really think Bungie's storytellers regret how the game is known for co-op gameplay. The campaign seems like it would be much more impactful playing by yourself without your friends making jokes after every cutscene. They were clearly going for something a lot more hard-hitting but it was hard to feel the effects while chatting the whole time. Near the end I muted my headphones and didn't talk during the cutscenes and it was quite a bit better - although still jarring when there were all of a sudden four of us playing! The game's story was not built around four player co-op. ODST suffered from the same issue.

this game's mulitplayer is nearly as badly made and worked out as MW2 im going to try out the mlg gametype when i can, which at least offers a glimpse of redemption, but other than that the mulitplayer is just really bad and does not build on halo 3 which it is far worse than. I'm really dissappointed in Bungie.

I don't have an Xbox yet but I might buy one soon, if I do I'll probably get the reach edition just cause it looks really fucking cool.

The gameplay/visuals in this game looked suuuper intense, much moreso than what I saw from the other Halo games but it sounds like you guys are pretty disappointed. Though I've heard very polarized opinions on it so I think I'll find out for myself.

Please elaborate Kitsune - I for one am really liking the multiplayer thus far, with my only quibble being that double melees still exist, and that their are only about 9 maps. :/ What exactly do you not like about the Reach multiplayer?

Please elaborate Kitsune - I for one am really liking the multiplayer thus far, with my only quibble being that double melees still exist, and that their are only about 9 maps. :/ What exactly do you not like about the Reach multiplayer?
Happily. The main drive of all my gripes comes from my interest being in competitive games, something H3 was, something REACH isn't. Because of this I'll start with the most relevant aspect pertaining to me - Arena. Arena is a fucking joke. This stems from a couple of different things. The first is map and weapon design. Many of the maps are designed poorly and promote campy as fuck gameplay something H3 never had.

The maps are imbalanced in all the wrong senses of the word and are very linear in design when put in the context of the competitive side of gaming. Top control is a winning, unbeatable and mind numbingly boring and frustrating strategy to combat in this game and it is infinitely abusable because of how the gameplay works. The same was true in some maps on Halo 3 (construct) but typically there were more entrances to the top parts, in comparison, sword base and countdown are pretty impenetrable when defended correctly from the top and many of the maps in arena follow this trend. Onto weapons the DMR and grenades are the main culprit in promoting campy gameplay. They are both too powerful, the DMR at long range and the grenade just in general. Nothing in the game pisses me off more than the shellshock headache, the sound a grenade causes and the often instantaneous death that accompanies it. This could pale in insignificance if the ranking system worked, but i find the game pretty frustrating and have no desire to persevere with it to the degree demanded. H3's ranking system worked it could be cruel at times but it worked. All this game cares about is who ran to the rockets or sniper, and therefore got all the kills. The assist thing is bullshit too and barely gauges how much of a team player you are as it requires so much damage to get that all it really indicates is how many kills were stolen meaning power weapons (kills) are the only factor being judged and whilst power weapons are integral they are not the be all and end all of h3 strategy, there are other roles to play in the team.

Other things that annoy me are the double beat down which greatly reduces the skill gap, and some of the more casual things as well like Multi team having way too many people, 8 was enough, SWAT, how long and unrewarding it is to level up.

I do like some things its just these are at the moment preventing me from truly enjoying this game.

BTW started Campaign it is awesome.

Happily. The main drive of all my gripes comes from my interest being in competitive games, something H3 was, something REACH isn't. Because of this I'll start with the most relevant aspect pertaining to me - Arena. Arena is a fucking joke. This stems from a couple of different things. The first is map and weapon design. Many of the maps are designed poorly and promote campy as fuck gameplay something H3 never had.

The maps are imbalanced in all the wrong senses of the word and are very linear in design when put in the context of the competitive side of gaming. Top control is a winning, unbeatable and mind numbingly boring and frustrating strategy to combat in this game and it is infinitely abusable because of how the gameplay works. The same was true in some maps on Halo 3 (construct) but typically there were more entrances to the top parts, in comparison, sword base and countdown are pretty impenetrable when defended correctly from the top and many of the maps in arena follow this trend. Onto weapons the DMR and grenades are the main culprit in promoting campy gameplay. They are both too powerful, the DMR at long range and the grenade just in general. Nothing in the game pisses me off more than the shellshock headache, the sound a grenade causes and the often instantaneous death that accompanies it. This could pale in insignificance if the ranking system worked, but i find the game pretty frustrating and have no desire to persevere with it to the degree demanded. H3's ranking system worked it could be cruel at times but it worked. All this game cares about is who ran to the rockets or sniper, and therefore got all the kills. The assist thing is bullshit too and barely gauges how much of a team player you are as it requires so much damage to get that all it really indicates is how many kills were stolen meaning power weapons (kills) are the only factor being judged and whilst power weapons are integral they are not the be all and end all of h3 strategy, there are other roles to play in the team.

Other things that annoy me are the double beat down which greatly reduces the skill gap, and some of the more casual things as well like Multi team having way too many people, 8 was enough, SWAT, how long and unrewarding it is to level up.

I do like some things its just these are at the moment preventing me from truly enjoying this game.

BTW started Campaign it is awesome.
MLG v1 improves this game tenfold. By the time the settings are tweaked enough in v2 or v3 this game will make H3 look silly. Arena means nothing, the ranking system doesn't make sense as you get no reward for winning the game, so don't worry about it.

for those looking for an easy way to rank up just go and play gruntpocalypse in score attack i get 1000+ credits which is not including commendation challenges. Another thing is the oni sword base airstrike pistol credit boost which can get you 30000+ credits in 30 minutes. If you do not know what that is look it up on youtube, there are plenty of vids on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)