Blissey

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
IF YOU HATE BLISSEY, THINK SHE'S CHEAP AND SHOULD BE BANNED BECAUSE YOUR FAVORITE SPECIAL ATTACKER CAN'T TOUCH HER, LEAVE THIS THREAD NOW, PLEASE.

filthy whore

#242 - Blissey - Normal

HP: 255 / Attack: 10 / Defense: 10 / Sp. Attack: 75 / Sp. Defense: 135 / Speed: 55

Natural Cure: Pokémon with this ability cure themselves of all status when they leave the battlefield.
Serene Grace: When this Pokémon uses a move that has a secondary effect, such as Thunder paralyzing, the chance of the secondary effect happening is doubled.
Healing Heart: "It will occasionally heal its team mate's status problems." (Serebii)

Defense Curl
Pound
Growl
Tail Whip
Refresh
Doubleslap
Softboiled
[M516] - Gift Pass - Gives the opponent your held item (only when they have none).
Minimize - Raises the user's Evasion 2 stages.
Take Down
Sing
Fling
[M505] - Healing Beam - Restores half of the target's max HP.
Egg Bomb
Light Screen
Healing Wish
Double-Edge

Charm
Copycat
Sweet Kiss

Learnable TMs:
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solarbeam
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM35 - Flamethower
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM38 - Fire Blast
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Sing A Round - Normal, Special, 60 BP, 100 Acc, 15 PP; "It attacks the opponent with song. If everyone sings together you can use the move in successive turns and have its power increase." (Serebii)
TM49 - Echo Voice - Normal, Special, 40 BP, 100 Acc, 15 PP; "It attacks the opponent with an echoed voice. If it or one of its team mates uses it each turn, the power increases." (Serebii)
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM59 - Incinerate - Fire, Special, 30 BP, 100 Acc, 15 PP: "It attacks the opponent with fire. It burns any berry the opponent is holding, rendering it unusable." (Serebii)
TM67 - Vengeance - Normal, Physical, 70 BP, 100 Acc, 5 PP; "It takes revenge for a fainted teammate. If a teammate is fainted that turn the attacks power increases." (Serebii)
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - Level Ground - Ground, Physical, 60 BP, 100 Acc, 20 PP; Reduces the target's speed 1 stage 100% of the time.
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM83 - Cheer Up - Raises the user's Attack and Sp. Attack 1 stage.
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Bolt - Electric, Physical, 90 BP, 100 Acc, 15 PP; The user takes 25% of the damage dealt to the target as recoil.
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM04 - Strength

01 - Focus Punch
02 - Water Pulse
23 - Iron Tail
34 - Shockwave
42 - Secret Power
48 - Skill Swap
49 - Snatch - "Snatch steals Conversion, Wish, Recycle, Imprison, Healing Wish, Power Trick, Lucky Chant, Aqua Ring, Magnet Rise, and Lunar Dance." (Research thread)
58 - Endure
60 - Drain Punch - Fighting, Physical, 75 BP, 100 Acc, 10 PP
67 - Recycle
72 - Avalanche
76 - Stealth Rock
78 - Captivate
82 - Sleep Talk
83 - Natural Gift

Present
Metronome
Heal Bell
Aromatherapy
Counter
Helping Hand
Gravity
Mud Bomb
Natural Gift
Endure
Last Resort (Happiny-only) - Normal, Physical, 140 BP, 100 Acc, 5 PP

Wish

Yeah bitches, the premier wall since Red/Green is back for round 5. Boasting the highest HP of the game along with a really high Sp. Defense and a multitude of healing moves (even Drain Punch wtf), it was only in Gen IV her reign of fear over special attackers truly had been brought down (ok, "sort of"). Now in Gen V, with the so-called "power creep" happening once again and Psycho Shock being given to Psychic-types (and a few oddballs), it seems Blissey will be in a much tighter position, as she doesn't take every single special hit as easily as before, can be quite the set-up bait sometimes and OH FUCK YOU 140 BASE ATTACKERS. Also, Shadow Tag Shanderaa. This "power creep", however, is what will make her much, much more useful in this metagame than never before.

Research thread said:
Confirmed Wish no longer heals 50% of the recipient's HP. The algorithm has changed. Does Wish heal the recipient by 50% of the user's HP now? (fisdunction, Moo)
Oh dear. This means Blissey's Wishes may heal at most 325-357 HP of any pokémon. Vaporeon, Mamanbou and Jirachi also boast this ability of passing bigass Wishes, but none of them even come close to Blissey. If only we knew last week there would be a way to use a Max Potion on any pokémon, I don't think we would have said "stall is dead" (and lol last week, we thought Aiming Mark was good back then)!

Wishbliss
- Nature: Bold as Love
- Ability: Natural Cure
- EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
~ Wish
~ Protect / Softboiled
~ Hidden Power [Ground]
~ Toxic

Ahhh, the horror that is Shadow Tag Shanderaa. It can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with (how the hell would you reason with a chandelier anyway). And you read it right: Hidden Power Ground will be her attacking move of choice. It's useless against Scizor or Skarmory, but she needs it to stop Shanderaa. You won't want to lose her to the haunted chandelier while giving it a +6 boost to its Sp. Attack, will you? It also hits Lucario, Doryuzuu, Heatran and lol Tyranitar for SE damage, so it's not a wasted moveslot.

Oh boy, and to think just yesterday I complained we didn't have any new Wishers besides Mamanbou...!

If Wish does heal the amount of HP of the user, then this is going to be really popular, but I read another thread saying Chansey with an item is more bulky than Blissey now, so I'm definitely trying out Chansey/Blissey.

Yeah, that item that boosts pre-evo's defenses may spell doom for blissey as its own pre-evo may overtake it.

Anyways, I think healing heart has its merits. It means that, while Blissey cant afford to aromatherapy like it could back in 3rd gen; As like 4th gen, the free turn can spell doom for the user, however with that ability Blissey could become a mini-cleric of sorts by taking off status conditions of the party. Depends on how frequent the ability activates... but its an interesting concept.

How about:

Blissey@Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
- Psych Up
- Softboiled
- Hidden Power (Ground)/Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Comes in on Shanderra and other special attacks that set up multiple Calm Minds and use Psych Up. Hidden Power Ground might be the best option, but I could also see Flamethrower being used in order to threaten Skarmory and Scizor (especially if Blissey absorbed any Calm Minds thru Psych Up)

I could see CM Blissey getting some usage because of stupid Shanderaa. HP Ground is an interesting idea. Personally I would use a set similar to the one posted by Misa simply because of the more powerful special attackers (stupid Shanderaa -______-) Blissey has to deal with this generation.

I just can't see Blissey being OU after Gen 5. Granted, I've always hated the chubster, and I'm almost sad to see her go, but this is it.

The first nail in the coffin was Shanderaa. Even with HP Ground/Ghost/Dark/Water/Rock, she's gonna be doing pathetic damage unless you invest in special attack. Not to mention the fact that you're wasting a moveslot just on one counter. And if you DON'T, you risk him setting up on you.

The second nail in the coffin was Psycho Shock, which many special attackers are getting.

Is Shadow Ball an option instead of HP Ground? Allows u to hit gengar.
That's what I was thinking. Hp Ground doesn't look good, it only looks decent against Shandaeraa, and Heatran. Shadow Ball appears to be better the HP ground. Seismic toss is generally the best option though.

However, in running psycho shock, they're either a) losing coverage by replacing a secondary attack or b) losing their main STAB in psychic, which may or may not be a disadvantage. And I dont see many uses in the move outside hitting blissey, really.

Psycho Shock is actually very handy, as it's only (correct me if I'm wrong) 10 BP less than Psychic. I imagine that most who can get will get it, just to screw over walls.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I know it's quite gimmicky, but how about Water Pulse instead of HP Ground? If you know your opponent will be forced out, you have a 40% (I think) chance of confusion with Serene Grace! It hits the Shanderaa and Gliscor for moderate damage. Many Water-immune Pokemon will think twice about swithching in, as they probably will not risk taking a Toxic to the face.

Why do you see the term "nail in the coffin" everywhere on Smogon?

On the topic at hand, I would be legitimately happy to see Blissey fall out of usage because I've never liked her and never will. It's not because she walls me...because she never really does. I don't like her because she's too fluffy and I have tried using her. Her role is just too focused on walling for my tastes.

Although I would like to see her die a painful fiery death, I doubt she will, because once she disappears, special attackers will come back with a vengeance with no one to protect you from them. Blissey will always be called upon for the duty to stop special attackers. However, it's important to note she no longer walls Pokemon like Alakazam and Espeon, as well as many other Psychic types, because of Psycho Shock. Blissey won't like Psycho Shock at all.

Blissey isn't going to get knocked out of OU just because of one Pokemon. She'll probably have to start running Psych Up or Calm Mind to remedy the problem. And Blissey can always just PP stall Shanderaa, who can't do shit to Blissey.

EDIT: toxic stall ftw

Why do you see the term "nail in the coffin" everywhere on Smogon?

On the topic at hand, I would be legitimately happy to see Blissey fall out of usage because I've never liked her and never will. It's not because she walls me...because she never really does. I don't like her because she's too fluffy and I have tried using her. Her role is just too focused on walling for my tastes.

Although I would like to see her die a painful fiery death, I doubt she will, because once she disappears, special attackers will come back with a vengeance with no one to protect you from them. Blissey will always be called upon for the duty to stop special attackers. However, it's important to note she no longer walls Pokemon like Alakazam and Espeon, as well as many other Psychic types, because of Psycho Shock. Blissey won't like Psycho Shock at all.
The only reason there aren't any other special walls is because, up to this generation, Blissey was the undisputed queen of walling special attacks. However, as you mentioned, she has already "died a fiery death" at the hands of Shanderaa. My guess is that there's gonna be a mad competition to see which is the superior special wall, to fill the gap. And I can almost guarantee you that that wall will be resistant to Psycho Shock.

And on a side note, I thought nail in the coffin was my thing, I didn't know other people were using it.

Don't underestimate Blissey. She fucks over Shanderaa with the right moveset much better than you're assuming.
I'm not denying that she can screw him over. The problem is that if she tries this, she needs a moveset/EV spread pretty much centered around anti-Shanderaa. Even if she DOES win, she has little use anymore.

Even with Maxed defenses, you're not gonna be surviving any powerful attacks. AT BEST you take down Shanderaa, probably at about 25%-50% health left. Blissey may have good special defense, but off of 145 Special Attack (only 9 less than MEWTWO), even she's gonna have trouble surviving, ESPECIALLY with no special defense EVs.

252+ Choice Spec'd Shanderaa Fire Blast vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Blissey: 37.8% - 44.5%

Blissey can still potentially outstall Shanderaa unless Shanderaa gets a random crit or something.

Anyway, Blissey could always run something like 4 HP/ 252 SpD in which case Spec'd Fire Blast does 34.2-40.5%

What move are we talking about, HP Ground, Psych Up, or both? Without HP Ground he can sub up, and without Psych Up, he can CM up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)