The Everything NFL Thread - 2010 Season

Anyone have any NFC West predictions? Other than the winner being destroyed in the playoffs.

I'm a Seahawks fan so obviously I'm taking them, especially after destroying the 49ers in Week 1. I think they should take the division pretty handily if they don't completely shit on themselves against Arizona and St. Louis.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Meh, I am not buying the Bears yet. The Packers did kind of hand them the game. At the same time though, the Packers need to do something about their running game and the penalties. Rodgers by himself won't be able to get them to the Super Bowl.

Several games this week were decided by choking kickers and special teams plays (Raiders-Cards, Saints-Falcons, Seahawks-Chargers). Twas an interesting week to say the least!

Every year teams that were bad the year before become playoff teams, why is everyone so hellbent on remaining skeptical? I am optimistic that the Chiefs and Bears can both be legitimate, 5 new teams a year become playoff teams, a couple who were previously really apparently terrible.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Bears and Chefs are promising, but I don't see them as complete teams yet. Bringing in Mike Martz was definitely a huge boost for Cutler's productivity, but not running the ball at all makes you more predictable. Matt Forte is not Marshall Faulk, so I don't see the running game flourishing any time soon, even with Chester Taylor involved. Their defense is pretty solid, I'd say at least top half of the league against the run and the pass so nothing wrong there. I see them making the playoffs as a wild card but not making it very far. Almost there though.

It's still difficult to trust the Chiefs. Yes, every year there are teams that make the playoffs that didn't the year before, but going from 4-12(?) to playoff contention the next year is much more difficult to do. I believe the Chiefs will improve considerably from last year's record, but will narrowly miss the playoffs (unless they manage to win their weak division). Their young defense will mature into a formidable unit in the next few years though under Crennel, so watch out. Replace Cassel and (maybe) Haley and you'll have a great team though.

Every year at least one team increases 7 wins or something like that, why do you have a hard time believing the team that is already 3-0 and apparently has a great point defense is the team to do it? Buffalo/Oakland/Arizona/Seattle/St. Louis/Oakland again left on the schedule too! They are not a "mortal lock", but the odds are heavily against them not making the playoffs. They allowed 38 points in three games! Who cares how bad the opponents were, that is really good, and if that defense is remotely legitimate they are going 10-6+.

Matt Forte is no Marshall Faulk, but he is also no 37 year old Fred Taylor or a rookie. How many NFC teams seem completely legitimate right now? The Bears, the Eagles, and the Packers. The Packers only lost to the Bears, the Eagles only lost to the Packers, and both of those losses were close. Not locks to stay the best three, but again really high chances these are the three earliest playoff team candidates. Bears/Cowboys was a great game that people underrated just because the Cowboys finished the game 0-2.

"Stat of the Week No. 4: The past five New Orleans-Atlanta meetings have resulted in a combined score of New Orleans 134, Atlanta 133."

yeah so shocking Atlanta won a close game...

Anyone have any NFC West predictions? Other than the winner being destroyed in the playoffs.

I'm a Seahawks fan so obviously I'm taking them, especially after destroying the 49ers in Week 1. I think they should take the division pretty handily if they don't completely shit on themselves against Arizona and St. Louis.
Well, besides getting destroyed likely in the playoffs like you mentioned...

In all honesty, given that there are 13 games left and with the top 2 teams being a mere 1 or 2 games ahead of rivals, it's still open for whoever. I'm predicing the eventual NFC West winner though will likely be 8-8 and edging in due to divisional record over another team with 8-8, or maybe 9-7 at best. Rams frankly we know aren't making it, they have way too many woes to win anything more than another few games at best. Cardinals, Anderson is looking like the crap starter he's been for most of his career, and unless he finally gets some rapport with the receivers, he'll be benched for Max Hall by the end of the season or start of next year (or maybe he'll even be injured; who knows?). Niners, sad to say, but until Smith drops dead (er, I mean replaced), they aren't going anywhere; they have a good defense, but they give up too many big plays on 3rd down, and the offense is a mess with Smith and now the loss of Raye. So that leaves the Seahawks...IF they can stay injury-free, they will likely take the division at this point; injuries are what's been plaguing them over the last few years (besides Holgrem leaving), and it's easy to forget the Seahawks were the perennial playoff contenders in the early 2000s since every other team started to bomb in the NFC West.

The Bears and Chefs are promising, but I don't see them as complete teams yet. Bringing in Mike Martz was definitely a huge boost for Cutler's productivity, but not running the ball at all makes you more predictable. Matt Forte is not Marshall Faulk, so I don't see the running game flourishing any time soon, even with Chester Taylor involved. Their defense is pretty solid, I'd say at least top half of the league against the run and the pass so nothing wrong there. I see them making the playoffs as a wild card but not making it very far. Almost there though.

It's still difficult to trust the Chiefs. Yes, every year there are teams that make the playoffs that didn't the year before, but going from 4-12(?) to playoff contention the next year is much more difficult to do. I believe the Chiefs will improve considerably from last year's record, but will narrowly miss the playoffs (unless they manage to win their weak division). Their young defense will mature into a formidable unit in the next few years though under Crennel, so watch out. Replace Cassel and (maybe) Haley and you'll have a great team though.
Oddly, in defense of the Chiefs, the Dolphins went from 1-15 to what, 9-7 (or 10-6)? and a playoff spot when they got Pennington and Parcells took over as GM or whatever. So crazier things have happened lol.

How many NFC teams seem completely legitimate right now? The Bears, the Eagles, and the Packers. The Packers only lost to the Bears, the Eagles only lost to the Packers, and both of those losses were close. Not locks to stay the best three, but again really high chances these are the three earliest playoff team candidates. Bears/Cowboys was a great game that people underrated just because the Cowboys finished the game 0-2.
Uh how about adding New Orleans and Atlanta to that list CK?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Every year teams that were bad the year before become playoff teams, why is everyone so hellbent on remaining skeptical? I am optimistic that the Chiefs and Bears can both be legitimate, 5 new teams a year become playoff teams, a couple who were previously really apparently terrible.
Seriously. People have short memories if they already forget the Dolphins going from 1-15 to 11-5 and winning he AFC East.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I didn't say it NEVER happens, I'm saying it's rare and it's difficult to do. The Dolphins went through some major changes that offseason, involving a QB and GM switch (among others). The Chiefs hired Romeo Crennel as their Defensive Coordinator and they added Thomas Jones. I'll even throw in the draft of Eric Berry and Dexter McCluster, but I still don't see these changes being as drastic as what the Dolphins went through. Without more solidarity at QB the Chiefs will be average at best, in my opinion. Shinryu is correct though, stranger things have happened.

Now, perhaps I should rephrase what I said before. I don't mean that I don't believe the Bears or the Chiefs could make the playoffs, I am just saying that 3 games into the season is still a bit too early for me to pass judgment. I prefer to reserve my conclusions until I have more supporting evidence. Don't get me wrong, because the Chiefs and Bears have shown quite a few improvements so far this season. I just don't want to jump on the bandwagon yet.

i believe in the chiefs, i like what they are doing with this team

but the bears are trash. they lost to the lions (yes they lost), got demolished by dallas for a quarter until dallas threw that game away by going on cruise control (although i would say this was their best win so far), and had to get a lucky bounce and terrible coaching to beat the packers with 4 seconds left with a franchise record 19 packer penalties

ignoring the fact that cutler should have had 5 picks two nights ago and has been throwing the ball just as erratic as last season, they do not have a wr corp or an offensive line that will give them any success.

chicago has a schedule which could maybe get them in the playoffs (and the nfc is horrible so i dunno how much of an accomplishment that even is) but it doesn't mean they are a quality team on the level of the packers, falcons, steelers, colts, jets, etc. not even close o_o.

when i see the bears i see a poor offense still struggling to learn an offensive system (not a good combination) combined with a defense that is way past it's prime...but everyone is on the bear's bandwagon when they should probably be 1-2.

Uh how about adding New Orleans and Atlanta to that list CK?
No thanks! New Orleans has looked super shaky, Atlanta has not proved anything yet.

Waterbomb, what does a bandwagon have to do with anything? My team is the Cowboys, thanks. Passionately defending the Chiefs from people who are deriding them for being 3-0 when they "are not supposed to be" does not mean I am on a bandwagon, and it is needlessly pejorative to imply I am.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Oh no no no I wasn't saying that YOU were on the Chiefs bandwagon, I was saying that there, of course, is a healthy one right now in existence, and I am just waiting to jump on it. There's a difference between believing in the Chiefs for a legitimate reason (you) and believing in the Chiefs just because they're 3-0 (many people). You provide a perfectly acceptable argument for why the Chiefs are (and deserve) to be 3-0. I am not disputing that, they do deserve to be 3-0 with the way they've been playing.

All I am saying is that I am skeptical that it will last and they will go any further than the wild card round in the playoffs (should they make it that far). Trust me, I would love to see the Chiefs win that division, but I just haven't seen enough yet to convince me they can, if that makes sense to you.

Believe me, I would never accuse someone as detailed as you of being a bandwagon fan =P.

haha good game niners. Gotta love Dre Bly and Nate Clements getting jacked by Roddy White two years in a row.

fuck, i switched my pick to tenn from den at the last minute :'(

Also, fuck Cleveland. You lost to the Bucs, you suck. Lose more, pl0x?

Polis4Rule, that is exactly why I said I hate posting picks early. I picked the Broncos in "real" and it was my best pick of the day so far, but that does not apply to here. I also picked the Rams and Browns in "real" and not here, and both turned into great picks.

I just caught the tale end of the colts jags game, including the missed interception that allowed a colts touchdown, followed by a missed interception that allowed a 59 yard field goal kick for the win. What a last two minutes, that's the type of football I like. When the last two minutes consists of taking knees I find myself wishing I could watch the static screen...

Polis4Rule, that is exactly why I said I hate posting picks early. I picked the Broncos in "real" and it was my best pick of the day so far, but that does not apply to here. I also picked the Rams and Browns in "real" and not here, and both turned into great picks.
Exactly. I should've stuck with Denver, and I felt better about the Rams as well, but forgot to change my pick there. Oh well, there's going to be upsets every week that you just don't see coming (Cleveland anyone?)

And for general comments, this is one of the few years where it seems as though there aren't any truly dominant teams. There seems to be good teams, but no dominant ones (to say the least).

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So I've gotten 3 picks wrong all week so far which is pretty awesome (St Louis, Cleveland, Jacksonville). Only thing more awesome is the Ravens beating the Steelers, you all have no idea how happy I am :)!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Lol alot of games were really close to being upsets today, and several others actually came out to be. Interesting week to say the least. Frowny face at the Steelers losing though. Eh, I guess 3-1 with a 4th string QB should be something to be proud of!

EDIT: LOL @ Cutler. What is that like 4 fumbles in the first half?

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think I've ever posted in this thread but I thought I'd drop by just to say:

lol Bears.... this team is 3-0?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I don't think I've ever posted in this thread but I thought I'd drop by just to say:

lol Bears.... this team is 3-0?
1-2 really, the only team they legitimately beat was Dallas. They got the win vs the Lions because the refs fucked up and took away a Lions TD that was indisputably a catch, and they were handed one by the Packers who had 18 penalties and fumbled the ball in their own territory.

Cutler is -still- bad, as I've always said he is. Martz may have opened him up, but he still won't be successful if the O-Line doesn't protect him.

Well to be fair, any QB that doesn't have a good O line is going to struggle; Martz's offense makes it even more of a liability with how he opens up stuff, but it can lead to some good plays too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)