supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Flashstorm1 -> supermarth64 -> Snorlaxe -> Shoopdasparce -> supermarth64

Let's get it done!

Full OU Analysis.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/uxie

[Overview]
<p>With incredible defensive stats and a plentiful amount of supporting moves such as Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, and Memento, Uxie can take many hits and assist its team with ease. Furthermore, it can utilize Trick in order to cripple the opposing Pokémon and Yawn to shuffle the opposing team. However, Uxie is weak to common attacking types from most standard Pokémon, such as Scizor and Tyranitar. Additionally, Uxie is generally outclassed by Cresselia, as Cresselia has recovery outside of Rest + Sleep Talk and is bulkier on both sides. Nevertheless, Uxie is a great addition to any team due to its ability to support its teammates in a variety of effective ways.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Choice Scarf Lead
move 1: Trick
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Thunder Wave / Psychic / Yawn
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Due to Uxie's great bulk and decent Speed, it can utilize a Choice Scarf set in order to cripple opposing Pokémon and set up Stealth Rock. Uxie can generally last long enough during a battle to set up Stealth Rock again if it gets removed, while still being capable of weakening the opposing team. Trick cripples the opposing lead by swapping its item with a hindering Choice Scarf, locking it into either Stealth Rock or an attacking move. From there, you have two choices; setting up Stealth Rock helps by slowly chipping away at the opposing team, while using U-turn after Trick lets Uxie switch after seeing what the opponent brings in. Additionally, U-turn lets Uxie switch out and break Aerodactyl's and Azelf's Focus Sash at the same time if they decide to Taunt it. Alternatively, Uxie can use Thunder Wave to cripple the Tricked Pokémon or an incoming opponent. Psychic lets Uxie hit back, while Yawn can work with U-turn to scout the opposing team.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The listed Speed EVs allow Choice Scarf Uxie to outspeed Aerodactyl and Azelf and Trick them before they can Taunt Uxie. If you choose to use Psychic in the last moveslot, 24 EVs should be moved from Defense to Special Attack in order to break 252 HP Rotom-A's Substitutes 100% of the time. Knock Off can be utilized in the last moveslot in order to further cripple the opposing team.</p>

<p>Uxie is bad against entry hazard users, such as Smeargle and Forretress, because they can freely set up entry hazards against Uxie due to its inability to dish out much damage. Therefore, a Rapid Spinner is a good teammate to remove those entry hazards. Forretress resists Ghost- and Dark-type moves, while Hitmontop resists Bug- and Dark-type moves and can execute a guaranteed Rapid Spin due to Foresight. Alternatively, Starmie is a splendid Rapid Spinner as it can scare away Spikes users with its powerful STAB moves. Although it lacks Rapid Spin, Heatran is great at destroying most entry hazard users due to its impressive typing and raw power.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Uxie lures in Choice Scarf Tyranitar very often, so you should be careful not to immediately Trick and force Uxie to take Pursuit damage while switching out. However, there are certain Pokémon that can capitalize on that switch. Machamp can freely set up a Substitute and immediately wreak havoc against the opposing team, while Lucario 4x resists Dark- and Rock-type moves and can set up a Swords Dance.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Dual Screens Lead
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: U-turn
item: Light Clay
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although Azelf seems better suited for this task due to its greater Speed and access to Explosion, Uxie can still perform this duty well since it possesses much more bulk. This extra bulk allows Uxie to come in and set up dual screens frequently throughout a match, but Uxie's Speed should also not be forgotten, as if EVed properly, it can still outspeed base 90 Pokémon. Based on the lead match-up, Reflect should be used against physical attackers, while Light Screen should be employed against special attackers. Stealth Rock aids Uxie's teammates in sweeping, while U-turn can help scout your opponent's switches.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The given EVs allow Uxie to outspeed Roserade and other base 90s in order to get off another move before it takes a hit. Being slower than Gliscor also means that Uxie can U-turn out after Gliscor uses Taunt, which allows your next Pokémon to freely set up. Alternatively, an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe can be used in order to at least Speed tie with opposing Gliscor and set up another defensive screen.</p>

<p>Similar to the previous set, Uxie often draws in entry hazard users because it can't do much back to them. Heatran and Starmie both deter entry hazard users in their own ways: Heatran has powerful STAB attacks while Starmie can Rapid Spin away any entry hazards. Additionally, Heatran has good defensive synergy with Uxie because it resists all of Uxie's weaknesses.</p>

<p>This type of Uxie is better suited for offensive teams because of the momentum it provides with dual screens and U-turn. Many opposing teams rely on powerful moves to take down Pokémon like Suicune and Dragonite, but with the reduced damage that they take thanks to dual screens, these Pokémon can set up additional boosting moves and proceed to sweep the opposing team. Alternatively, Machamp is a good partner because its Substitutes can survive more hits and let it wreck the opposing team easier. Additionally, Machamp resists two of Uxie's weaknesses: Dark and Bug.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Memento / U-turn
move 4: U-turn / Yawn
item: Light Clay
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Uxie can utilize a defensive spread that takes advantage of an asset that the other pixies don't have access to: Memento. That, combined with Light Screen and Reflect, makes it extremely difficult for the opposing team to penetrate your team's defenses. Once again, Reflect and Light Screen are used to reduce the damage output from physical and special attacks respectively, while Memento is Uxie's coup de grace. Using it effectively leaves your opponent at -6 Attack and Special Attack at the cost of Uxie's life. U-turn allows Uxie to escape from the foe as you find a more appropriate opportunity for Uxie to use dual screens. However, you may choose to use both U-turn and Yawn in order to shuffle around the opposing team and have more of an advantage while setting up, which also means you don't have to sacrifice Uxie's life for Memento.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe can be used in order to Speed tie or beat opposing Gliscor and get off another screen or Memento before it Taunts Uxie; however, Uxie then loses out on great bulk. Additionally, Uxie can utilize Stealth Rock to aid in sweeping, but generally Uxie has better things to do. Safeguard is another potential choice: it prevents your sweepers from crippling statuses.</p>

<p>Gliscor is a great partner to Uxie as it can counter Tyranitar, a common switch-in for Uxie. Furthermore, dual screens make Gliscor exceptionally difficult to take down Gliscor. After setting up several Swords Dances and Rock Polishes, Gliscor can then Baton Pass them to a sweeper such as Metagross or Lucario. Alternatively, sweepers mentioned in the previous set, such as Suicune, Jirachi, and Dragonite, all appreciate the additional bulk, as it makes them much harder to take down.</p>

<p>Taunters such as Gliscor and Gyarados have a field day with this set, as they can prevent Uxie from setting up dual screens. Starmie and Vaporeon can switch in and threaten them with their STAB attacks in order to deter them. If Uxie is able to set up at least Reflect, then the Water-types will become harder to take down. Vaporeon can also pass Wishes to Uxie in order to let it set up more screens later in the match.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Field Effect Supporter
move 1: Rain Dance / Trick Room / Sunny Day
move 2: Yawn
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Psychic / Thunderbolt
item: Damp Rock / Leftovers / Heat Rock
nature: Bold / Relaxed
ability: Levitate
evs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Due to its access to three different field effect types, Uxie is a great transition Pokémon. It has both the Speed and the defenses to successfully set up the field effects multiple times. Depending on what your team's based around, the appropriate field effect move is chosen. Yawn and U-turn work hand in hand for switching to an appropriate Pokémon to take advantage of the field, while Psychic prevents Uxie from being Taunt bait. Alternatively, Thunderbolt can be used to prevent Pokémon like Skarmory and Empoleon from freely setting up on Uxie.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The given EV spread allows Uxie to break max HP Rotom-A's Substitutes while retaining maximum bulk. If Thunderbolt is used over Psychic, then an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD should be used. Reflect, Light Screen, and Memento can be utilized in order for your Pokémon to set up more easily. A 0 Spe IV U-turn can let your sweepers come in unharmed as Uxie will take the opponent's attack before it switches out.</p>

<p>Obviously, appropriate Pokémon should be used with the appropriate field effect. Sweepers such as Kingdra, Kabutops, and Ludicolo all make excellent Rain Dance abusers, while slower Pokémon such as Machamp, Snorlax, and Rhyperior all work as Trick Room sweepers. Pokémon with Chlorophyll, such as Tangrowth, Victreebel, and Exeggutor, are all great sweepers under Sunny Day because of their additional Speed. However, both rain- and sun-based teams will have to be wary of Tyranitar, as it loves coming in on Uxie. Fortunately for rain teams, Tyranitar fears Surf and Waterfall, but sun teams should have a Pokémon like Infernape that can scare away Tyranitar with a Fighting-type move.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Although each set revolves around supporting the team in some way, either by crippling the opposing team or making your team stronger, they all have common weaknesses. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Gengar can all prey on Uxie's weaknesses and hit it hard with their STAB moves. Therefore, a teammate that resists Uxie's weaknesses can be very helpful. Heatran is a great partner because it resists all three of Uxie's weaknesses, while Uxie is immune to or resistant to two of its. Moreover, it can scorch Scizor, which is a common Uxie switch-in, with its STAB Fire-type moves. A Scizor of your own can check Tyranitar and Gengar that lack Hidden Power Fire, as Bullet Punch will hit both for heavy damage. Additionally, your own Choice Scarf Tyranitar can check Gengar with Pursuit. Tyranitar also resists Uxie's Ghost- and Dark-type weaknesses.</p>

<p>For a more defensive spin on teammates, both Forretress and Skarmory work as partners. They resist all of Uxie's weaknesses and can capitalize on those moves by laying down entry hazards. Furthermore, since many of the Pokémon that can hit Uxie for super effective damage are grounded, they'll take entry hazard damage while switching in and out.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>With a movepool as wide as Uxie's, there are several unmentioned moves. Uxie has the defenses and the Speed to utilize a Calm Mind set, but is generally too weak to actually deal much damage. Grass Knot can hit Pokémon like Swampert and Tyranitar, but you're better off just letting Uxie use U-turn to a partner when faced with such threats. Toxic is an option over Thunder Wave, but Thunder Wave is generally better due to the importance of Speed in OU. Heal Bell can rid the team of status effects, but Uxie frequently has better things to do and is hard pressed for time and moveslots to do so.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Gengar, Scizor, and Tyranitar are all Pokémon that can threaten Uxie with their STAB attacks. Gengar can utilize Substitute to block status moves and then attack with Shadow Ball, while Scizor and Tyranitar can hit hard with U-turn and Crunch, respectively. Jirachi also threatens Uxie, as it can use Substitute to block paralysis and has a 4x resistance to Psychic. From there, it can set up Calm Minds to threaten Uxie's team.</p>

<p>Fast Taunters can also handle Uxie with ease. Both Gliscor and Gyarados can utilize Taunt to prevent Uxie from setting up dual screens. from there, Gliscor can spread Toxic over Uxie's team while Gyarados can set up threatening Dragon Dances. Status effects such as poison and paralysis also cripple Uxie, as it really dislikes status. Lastly, any Pokémon that utilizes Brick Break, such as Weavile, can stop Uxie's attempts to set up Reflect and Light Screen.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Flashstorm1 -> supermarth64 -> Snorlaxe -> Shoopdasparce -> supermarth64
lol

anyway as a heavy-duty uxie in ou person, i have to say that i think that psychic should be slashed in the fourth moveslot over knock off on the trickscarf set (so knock off would be moved to additional comments, and psychic would be moved to third slash). i tested knock off trick scarf uxie and found myself rarely actually using knock off...while it does have some decent utility use, its so much more practical and useful imo to be able to actually damage the opposition somewhat when the need arises. for instance, i would almost always rather break 252 HP rotom's substitutes than knock off something like a metagross's lum berry. maybe that's a preference thing, but i still think that psychic is more useful than knock off.

Dual Screens doesn't need to have Memento. LS, Reflect, SR, U-Turn works well and allows Uxie to set up screens multiple times over the course of a match. Also leads quite well.

I would support making U-Turn the third option, with Memento/Yawn/SR slashed in for slot 4.

I would move Knock Off to AC on the CS set, its a decent option but not quite on par with Yawn and T-Wave IMO. As for the DS set, Phantom makes a point but at the same time, Uxie doesn't need to have U-Turn either. An idea would be to have the last two moveslots with the following slashes: Memento / U-Turn / Yawn with SR moved to AC. All three of these moves can be mixed around so this idea looks good to me.

Zen Headbutt with 120 Atk EVs (neutral nature) should get a mention for the OU Support set because it 2HKOes Machamp and U-turn gets a little more power as well. Reflect needs at least a mention for OU Support as well in my opinion.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know Uxie can be a good weather terrain changer in practice, but since the premise of the set-up set is fairly simple, shouldn't it be AC since some other good weather changers don't have weather analyses (Zapdos and Scizor)?

Other sets seem fine to me, though I'm not a bag fan of trying to kill overspecific threats with only a few attacking EVs. Personal preference of the team, though.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My 2 cents:
- Make a bigger mention on ScarfTar. I've played against way too many TrickScarf Uxies just blindly Tricking their Scarf on turn 1, straight onto ScarfTar, which ends in Uxie losing half its health for absolutely nothing. So yeah, be sure to put something like "Do not just spam Trick on Turn 1".
- Mention Memento in the field support set (I'd say slash it with U-Turn or Psychic). Getting off a late-game Memento to your desired sweeper can be devastating, since you'll be more likely to set-up with the weather, which usually means gg.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know as much about OU as I do about Ubers, but I think Thunder Wave should get some consideration on the Dual Screen set. The idea (for Atticus's Uber set anyway) is rather than blindly set up a screen and hope its the right one for the switch in, paralyze the switch in so you are faster and set up the appropriate screen. I think it at least deserves an AC mention...

I was going to say slash SR on the Dual Screen set with Memento for the lead Dual Screen set and adding a paragraph about it functioning as a lead, but then I saw the speed on that set. Basically, the lead version of the Dual Screen set is just too different to be tacked on as an extra paragraph. I would like to see a Dual Screen lead set, as U-turn, natural bulk, access to SR, and dual screens allows Uxie to be one of the peskiest repeat screener leads in the game. I have also seen it used somewhat frequently, so it's not a random set either. Here's the specific set:

Uxie @ Light Clay
Jolly, 252 HP / 32 Def / 216 Spe
Levitate
-Stealth Rock
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-U-turn

This thing is extremely bulky, considering most of the heavy hitting leads get outsped and screened on before being able to attack. U-turn allows Uxie to break sashes against Taunt leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl, and you can also outspeed Roserade with U-turn to your status absorber while breaking Focus Sash at the same time. Yep.

AccidentalGreed

I was going to say slash SR on the Dual Screen set with Memento for the lead Dual Screen set and adding a paragraph about it functioning as a lead, but then I saw the speed on that set. Basically, the lead version of the Dual Screen set is just too different to be tacked on as an extra paragraph. I would like to see a Dual Screen lead set, as U-turn, natural bulk, access to SR, and dual screens allows Uxie to be one of the peskiest repeat screener leads in the game. I have also seen it used somewhat frequently, so it's not a random set either. Here's the specific set:

Uxie @ Light Clay
Jolly, 252 HP / 32 Def / 216 Spe
Levitate
-Stealth Rock
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-U-turn

This thing is extremely bulky, considering most of the heavy hitting leads get outsped and screened on before being able to attack. U-turn allows Uxie to break sashes against Taunt leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl, and you can also outspeed Roserade with U-turn to your status absorber while breaking Focus Sash at the same time. Yep.
So is this set unique in terms of other Dual Screen users, mainly Jirachi and Azelf?

Uxie has much more Bulk than Azelf which sets it apart and comparing it to Jirachi isn't very sensible because of typing differences, more Bulk as well as Levitate. Additionally, If Jirachi is being used elsewhere on your team, you obviously can't use it again. If you want to compare it to Duel Screen Cresselia, it has access to U-Turn and more speed. Either way, i would prefer a Duel Screen Uxie over a Duel Screen Azelf or Jirachi for these reasons.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with Philip and I would like to see that set implemented in Uxie's analysis. The rest of the OP looks good to me. I'll stamp this update as soon as these changes are made.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm wondering why 24 SpA to break Rotom-A subs isn't just standard on the OU Support set. Is the extra 6 points in Def really that important?

Also I question having 2 Dual Screen sets on the analysis. I'd prefer the Dual Screen lead be the only Dual Screen set listed, and have the bulky variant be in AC. Not taking advantage of Uxie's remarkable Base 95 Speed is just disappointing, especially since a fast Screen can be just as useful as high defense against slower opponents.

On your support set, I suggest you replace Thunder Wave with Memento, therefore, you can send in a setup pokemon, forcing the opponent to switch in as you setup.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The OP of this thread hasn't been touched in a month -- it's time to get this moving. So please, supermarth64, you know what do to.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi I'm still alive (stupid college apps)

@Snorlaxe: Ok sure. Knock Off seemed shaky anyway.

@Phantom and Megan: I ended up removing SR because it's really not that great in comparison to the other moves and I made it Memento/U-turn and U-turn/Yawn. Either one works fine, it's just that Memento comes first because it's Uxie's claim to a dual screener.

@Cost: Psychic needs less SpA and is more useful overall, but Reflect/Light Screen get an AC mention in Support set.

@AccidentialGreed: It gets all 3 + Yawn/Memento so it's sorta unique. That and bulk means multiple times that it can come in.

@Shrang: Planning on mentioning Ttar more when I actually write it. Mentioned Memento in AC.

@firecape: Not as great IMO as the other options, though we'll see after some testing.

@Philio: [22:03:00] <+supermarth64> phil dual screen uxie is broken
[22:03:01] <+supermarth64> ban it
[22:03:05] <+Philip7086> lol

@SDS: Made it standard. Using either EV spread has its advantages but IMO the set would be pretty fat if I had it in 1 set so I just split it up in two.

@Belphagor: Without something for the next Pokemon to come in and actually do, to Memento is kinda worthless without dual screens/field effects.

@Setsuna: Blame college apps!

I'm not sold on the lead set, to tell you the truth. I tested it out on one of my recent teams, and while it's very solid, and gets up rocks and can status etc vs pretty much every lead, it REALLY lacks any kind of utility outside the lead spot. A lot of the time it just gets turned into set up fodder.

Screens set is fine, obviously. My concern is that Uxie just can't do a lot to a great deal of OU pokemon.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I have to disagree with you about Uxie's utility. After the lead game, Uxie can paralyze things or Double-switch with U-turn to get the jump on opponents. It can even save its Choice Scarf until later and Trick it onto a certain whore of a blob, coughBlisseycough. Imo, being able to at least paralyze shit and be used as a good defensive pivot is good enough mid-game utility to warrant some use. Tricking a Choice Scarf is just a plus.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually have to agree about the whole lead thing. Personally, I wouldn't imagine using Uxie in the lead slot outside of the retardedly good Dual Screen set that Phil posted here. TrickScarf is okay, but as I often say, "Trick does not a lead set make." Once the Scarf is tricked and SR is down, Uxie turns into a fairly egregious example of a non-threatening midgame Pokemon. Part of the reason that Dual Screen Lead Uxie is great is because unlike Azelf, it can come in later and do it again. If your two tricks are Stealth Rock and TrickScarf, the jig is up after that.

I've seen Trickscarf Uxie used successfully in the past. After the trick and setting up Stealth Rocks, it is still capable of paralyzing the opponents Pokemon for team support. While it can't Explode like Azelf after its job is done, its far more Bulky and can switch into attacks later in the game even though it can't do much in return other than paralyzing followed by a U-Turn. Dual Screen probably is the "better" lead, but this set functions different so I support having a set on site. Although, I do think that it shouldn't be the first in regards of set order; right before the field support set looks good to me. I also want to add that the the Dual Screen sets should have higher set order IMO.

Trick Scarf lead is great IMO. It doesn't lose to any leads, and isn't set up fodder thanks to Thunderwave. The only set I don't like on there is the OU Support set. I would never use that set, personally, and I really don't see the point in it.

Anyways, I support every set in the OP except the OU Support set.

QC Approved (1/3)

AccidentalGreed

Phillip manages to bring up something: I'm actually skeptical about the OU Support set. I, myself, am not a big fan of pure support sets in general due to the existence of Stealth Rock leads and the sets sometimes being dead weight against things such as Substitute Heatran and Breloom and friends. Uxie also has some other fish to contend with, such as Celebi and Jirachi (which are honestly the only two Pokemon who can successfully utilize the sets in OU), and if it exists, support Azelf (I wouldn't bring this one up, though).

On the other hand, Uxie has some nice defenses to go alongside decent HP, which could bring up advantages in neutrality and resistances against random attacks. My concern is how to pull Uxie's strings when it comes to being up against certain threats.

At best, I'm neutral on OU Support Uxie, a little on the "no" side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)